Tesla Model Y

fatduck said:
Taycan >>> Model S imo.

I agree with that, but I think a lot of people just look at price vs performance #'s on paper.  Not that a Taycan will handle way better.  Not to say there are no issues with the Taycan, but its a new technology and car for Porsche, vs Tesla has been making EVs for years and they still have issues on quality control where panels don't line up.

Why is the Taycan >>>? Body style? Worth a 2X+ premium for vastly inferior technology underneath?

Here is the best part of the review:

"With only four models on sale (S, Y, 3, X), Elon Musk?s electric car company now dominates the premium-luxury vehicle market in the U.S., outselling BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi and Porsche in Q3 2021. And rightly so: Teslas make anything with a tailpipe feel like an antique.

In the bench-racing matchup between the Porsche?s best electric and the Tesla Model S Long Range, it?s a rout. The TTSCT offers half the EPA-estimated range (202 vs. 405 miles) and it costs more than twice as much. Oof. The Porsche is also 638 pounds heavier.

The Tursimo body style retains the Porsche Taycan sedan?s front luggage compartment, with 2.9 cubic feet for stowage. The case that holds the portable charging cables takes up most of this space.

While the Porsche is capable of DC fast-charging up to 270 kW and 800V, it lacks access to a fast-charging network comparable to Tesla?s Supercharger stations. At a 50 kW charger, it takes 93 minutes to charge from 0-80% under ideal conditions, or 31 minutes for an additional 62 miles of range."

The writer didn't do enough research on the model numbers.

It's not "S Y, 3 X"  but per Elon - "S 3 X Y" - Sexy.

OCtoSV said:
Why is the Taycan >>>? Body style? Worth a 2X+ premium for vastly inferior technology underneath?

Preference, Taycan looks better to me than a Tesla and for my personal use, I don't need 400+ miles so that doesn't factor into my decision making. 

akkord said:
OCtoSV said:

Preference, Taycan looks better to me than a Tesla and for my personal use, I don't need 400+ miles so that doesn't factor into my decision making.

You are definitely Porsche's EV target customer

akkord said:
OCtoSV said:

the taycan also has a steering wheel, which i've come to enjoy in a car.

and it's not 2x the price unless you're comparing the top end taycan vs the base model s.  the model s long range is about the same price as the taycan 4s.  and don't believe the "EPA estimate" ranges, tesla's are super inflated.  real world range for SLR, driving at real person speeds, is more like 300-320 miles.  taycan is actually 220 miles as advertised.  tesla range is still superior but 400 miles is a joke.

taycan is so much nicer inside and out.

i have a model y which is great.  i like it better than the competition in that class, with the possible exception of the mustang but those are impossible to find.  but if i was buying a $90k car it wouldn't be a tesla.

I just took my $37K base Model 3 on an autopilot/supercharger biz trip to L.A. and back. What a dream. Seats are so comfortable, and the quick supercharger visits were much better than hitting the gas station. I just have the base Autopilot but what a difference it makes on that long of a drive. The Tesla experience really shines on a longer drive.

OCtoSV said:
I just took my $37K base Model 3 on an autopilot/supercharger biz trip to L.A. and back. What a dream. Seats are so comfortable, and the quick supercharger visits were much better than hitting the gas station. I just have the base Autopilot but what a difference it makes on that long of a drive. The Tesla experience really shines on a longer drive.

I think that $37k base M3 is worth more now than it was when you bought it.

New Teslas have gone up like $10k+ in the last year... no dealer markup... just Elon markups. :(

I'm getting my "Y" on 01.22.2022.  It was suppose to come on 01.19.22 but they couldn't get a shipper from NUMMI to OC.
I ordered it in AUG.

I can probably sell it for more now? but I need it.

zubs said:
I'm getting my "Y" on 01.22.2022.  It was suppose to come on 01.19.22 but they couldn't get a shipper from NUMMI to OC.
I ordered it in AUG.

I can probably sell it for more now? but I need it.

Another strat: I know and heard of people reselling Tesla cars
I think right now used model 3s are selling more than retail. (depending on the condition, location, etc..)

Yea I sold my 2018 Model 3 for more than I paid...it was a no brainer to upgrade to Model Y.

I'm thinking of selling my other Tesla too and upgrading it.

Fun little video for those who prefer high end electric vehicles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR7OGLbQiqE

so i have a very serious addition to this thread: safety systems. I suffered a very bad rear end collision last week in my Model 3, very bad, and the doctor said the Tesla safety system was the reason I walked away as opposed to leaving in an ambulance. I actually got out and ran down the side of the freeway as I wasn't sure if the M3 would explode.

Also, while my attorney will handle everything, I did note that a used 2020 Model 3 on Tesla's website in now ~$20K more than I paid ($58K vs $39K).

OCtoSV said:
so i have a very serious addition to this thread: safety systems. I suffered a very bad rear end collision last week in my Model 3, very bad, and the doctor said the Tesla safety system was the reason I walked away as opposed to leaving in an ambulance. I actually got out and ran down the side of the freeway as I wasn't sure if the M3 would explode.

Also, while my attorney will handle everything, I did note that a used 2020 Model 3 on Tesla's website in now ~$20K more than I paid ($58K vs $39K).

Damn, that's real life test for you there.

Good you are OK.

Back