Tesla Model Y

Everyone is talking about Tesla range...so if you drive an average of 50 miles a day at 365 days a year, it's 18,250 miles.  How many people are putting more than that on their cars each year.  I'm sure there are people that do, the Tesla makes sense, but for the majority of drivers, you're not doing that much driving.  I believe the average in the US is around 12-15k miles /yr.  Personally I'm at 5-7k/yr the past couple years, this year will probably be a lot less. 

Now for that off chance you have to drive a ton when you own an EV, 200+ miles, you would plan ahead and take breaks I hope, go charge the car at the same time, when you eat lunch/dinner, when you would be getting gas in a NA car, using the restroom, sleeping, stretching your legs, letting the kids run around.  The only time I would think having a long range EV would be great is to drive to Vegas, but I haven't driven to Vegas for 8+ yrs.

Or better yet, rent a van/car to save the mileage from hitting your car, or if you own an EV I'm sure you have an NA car just in case, drive that?  Momopi would say, have one of each in a disaster, maybe you'll be able to get gas but not charge, or vice versa if the big one hits.  =D

akkord said:
Everyone is talking about Tesla range...so if you drive an average of 50 miles a day at 365 days a year, it's 18,250 miles.  How many people are putting more than that on their cars each year.  I'm sure there are people that do, the Tesla makes sense, but for the majority of drivers, you're not doing that much driving.  I believe the average in the US is around 12-15k miles /yr.  Personally I'm at 5-7k/yr the past couple years, this year will probably be a lot less. 

Now for that off chance you have to drive a ton when you own an EV, 200+ miles, you would plan ahead and take breaks I hope, go charge the car at the same time, when you eat lunch/dinner, when you would be getting gas in a NA car, using the restroom, sleeping, stretching your legs, letting the kids run around.  The only time I would think having a long range EV would be great is to drive to Vegas, but I haven't driven to Vegas for 8+ yrs.

Or better yet, rent a van/car to save the mileage from hitting your car, or if you own an EV I'm sure you have an NA car just in case, drive that?  Momopi would say, have one of each in a disaster, maybe you'll be able to get gas but not charge, or vice versa if the big one hits.  =D

You're making it a bit too complicated than it needs to be.

At Tesla's price range, consumers are paying for capabilities not to just fill their necessities.

People buy and drive Tesla EVs because they are the superior tech.

Unless the price difference is compelling enough, like my BMW i3 lease at half of the cost to lease a Tesla, why would people settle for inferior tech?

Tesla EVs also hold value really well. They have one of the lowest depreciation rate.

Yep, with such a long range, I don?t need to charge everyday.
EVs also take longer to charge.  Like the Costco gas example, I only fill up once or twice a month, which is nice, if you have shorter range, you have to remember to charge more frequent.

It?s not just a daily driver for short commutes, I also use it to drive far on weekends or whenever I need to, with the supercharger network, why would I hassle myself in renting another car to go long distance.  It replaces my gas sedan completely. 

Also, since electric rates are cheaper (especially if you have solar), you?ll want to use the ev more than the gas car

akkord said:
So you're saying you don't charge your car everyday at home?  I get gas, you have to go out and get it, Costco gas lines suck etc. but if you have an EV aren't you charging it at home every night/day?  You can still stay in that sweet spot of 20-80% or whatever it is to prolong the battery right?  If you're driving more than that sweet spot to keep the battery lasting a long time, then yes get a Tesla.  How many miles are you driving a day?  QA is more important than than range for me...also I think there was a study, maybe 90% of people drive less than 50miles a day IIRC, too lazy to google it. 

AW said:
akkord said:
So I get Tesla has the greatest EV range...is anyone driving 250+ miles per day these days?  If your answer is yes, the Tesla is for you, but if you're averaging 50-100 miles / day do you need a 300 mile range car?  I think a van would be more suitable for roadtrips/more comfortable, or a RV if going cross country.  Most families probably rent a van for road trips too to prevent wear and tear on their own cars.

I personally drove an average of 15-20 miles per day on weekdays on the HIGH end if not a lot less prior to the pandemic, wife about the same on weekdays and the occasional LA or SD trip would be 125-175 on weekends.  I filled up on gas once or twice a month just to top off, with an EV 100 range would be more than enough for me, but 200 would be nice. I filled up gas 3x since March since we use my wife's car for family driving.  With the world changing and more companies pivot to WFH and reducing office space to save $ we'll probably drive even less post pandemic.  Both my wife and I are WFH until 2021 at the earliest with more flexible WFH after that.  I probably will get an EV in 1-3 yrs, hopefully more competition by then.

Regarding range, no one ever complains having too much, it?s not a must, but a nice to have thing, it?s like filling up a gas car once a month instead of two. 

When you have larger capacity, you can charge more before it slows down towards the last 5-10% of max.  Also, if you only have 20% left on Tesla, some of the functions aren?t available such as sentry mode, turning AC remotely, etc

Like others have said Tesla has a significant lead over competitors, that I wouldn?t consider anything else for full ev for at least another 5 years.

akkord said:
So you're saying you don't charge your car everyday at home?  I get gas, you have to go out and get it, Costco gas lines suck etc. but if you have an EV aren't you charging it at home every night/day?  You can still stay in that sweet spot of 20-80% or whatever it is to prolong the battery right?  If you're driving more than that sweet spot to keep the battery lasting a long time, then yes get a Tesla.  How many miles are you driving a day?  QA is more important than than range for me...also I think there was a study, maybe 90% of people drive less than 50miles a day IIRC, too lazy to google it. 

AW said:
akkord said:
So I get Tesla has the greatest EV range...is anyone driving 250+ miles per day these days?  If your answer is yes, the Tesla is for you, but if you're averaging 50-100 miles / day do you need a 300 mile range car?  I think a van would be more suitable for roadtrips/more comfortable, or a RV if going cross country.  Most families probably rent a van for road trips too to prevent wear and tear on their own cars.

I personally drove an average of 15-20 miles per day on weekdays on the HIGH end if not a lot less prior to the pandemic, wife about the same on weekdays and the occasional LA or SD trip would be 125-175 on weekends.  I filled up on gas once or twice a month just to top off, with an EV 100 range would be more than enough for me, but 200 would be nice. I filled up gas 3x since March since we use my wife's car for family driving.  With the world changing and more companies pivot to WFH and reducing office space to save $ we'll probably drive even less post pandemic.  Both my wife and I are WFH until 2021 at the earliest with more flexible WFH after that.  I probably will get an EV in 1-3 yrs, hopefully more competition by then.

Regarding range, no one ever complains having too much, it?s not a must, but a nice to have thing, it?s like filling up a gas car once a month instead of two. 

When you have larger capacity, you can charge more before it slows down towards the last 5-10% of max.  Also, if you only have 20% left on Tesla, some of the functions aren?t available such as sentry mode, turning AC remotely, etc

Like others have said Tesla has a significant lead over competitors, that I wouldn?t consider anything else for full ev for at least another 5 years.

I've been working at home.  I charge once a week to 80% that's it.. super easy during non -peak hours
I've added maybe $20/month to my electricity bill that's it

I'm not sure about the whole prolonging the battery but who cares.. will be looking for the newest tech in 7-8 years anyways whether it's the Cybertruck or the new battery that can last 2 million miles ... that's what convenient for me  >:D

Fact: car sales are down, people are keeping their cars longer. I think during a recession/pandemic not that many give a #### about new cars. In other words demand is lower now.

AW said:
Yep, with such a long range, I don?t need to charge everyday.
EVs also take longer to charge.  Like the Costco gas example, I only fill up once or twice a month, which is nice, if you have shorter range, you have to remember to charge more frequent.

I get it, don't need to charge as often b/c of longer range, but is it really that hard to plug in, I assume everyone that has an EV has a charger hanging in the garage right next to where they park, where it takes them less than a minute to plug in and I assume the app will charge/trickle charge, get it to whatever it needs to be in the AM when you need to leave...this is an advantage of going EV...I hate getting gas. 

SoclosetoIrvine said:
I've been working at home.  I charge once a week to 80% that's it.. super easy during non -peak hours
I've added maybe $20/month to my electricity bill that's it

Never said it wasn't a good idea to get an EV, or that charging was hard.  :D

I have solar, but paying 50-100k when I have no car payment, doesn't make much sense right now, but when I do swap out my car in a few years it'll be electric, probably not Tesla. 

I just like driving EVs... once you experience that quick pickup and quiet ride... not to mention not having to go to a gas station ever again... very hard to go back to dinosaur mode.

Like many, I prefer to drive the latest technology... but then again, that's why I lease.

irvinehomeowner said:
I just like driving EVs... once you experience that quick pickup and quiet ride... not to mention not having to go to a gas station ever again... very hard to go back to dinosaur mode.

Like many, I prefer to drive the latest technology... but then again, that's why I lease.

Plus the math for leasing is in your favor until the Fed $7500 credit runs out.

irvinehomeowner said:

I guess I got a Buffet mentality, buy to own, my car is old, haven't had a payment in years...more tech also means potentially more electronics that break down over time, I guess why a lot of you lease, swap cars every few years.  Leasing means you'll have car payments forever too.  Unfortuanately I don't have enough $ to buy a car every few years either. 

Kenkoko said:

So if they have the best tech, shouldn't their factories have good enough tech to build a car with no panel issues?  Full disclosure, I have no idea how they are built, but I assume most of it is by machine...Tesla has the best/superior tech, but they can't use that tech to build a better manufacturing process.  Customers don't want to send their car back b/c they may screw it up even more after they just got a brand new car?  That boggles my mind.

By superior tech most people mean range, is that what you're implying too?

Range as I posted, isn't something that needs to be worried about, even AW stated Tesla has a good charging network, so you make 1 stop going to Vegas with a 300+ mile range car, stop at that Del Taco, take a piss, I assume some may try and push it all the way without a charge, but for peace of mind of not getting stranded most will probably charge partway through.  If you get a 200 mile range car, it's still one stop too. I'd still be able to go to SD or LA and back on a 200 mile range car no problem.  I don't think anyone would get a car with less than 125/150 range, unless it was super cheap as you stated.

Has anyone compared the interior tech from an

akkord said:
Kenkoko said:

So if they have the best tech, shouldn't their factories have good enough tech to build a car with no panel issues?  Full disclosure, I have no idea how they are built, but I assume most of it is by machine...Tesla has the best/superior tech, but they can't use that tech to build a better manufacturing process.  Customers don't want to send their car back b/c they may screw it up even more after they just got a brand new car?  That boggles my mind.

Range as I posted, isn't something that needs to be worried about, even AW stated Tesla has a good charging network, so you make 1 stop going to Vegas with a 300+ mile range car, stop at that Del Taco, take a piss, I assume some may try and push it all the way without a charge, but for peace of mind of not getting stranded most will probably charge partway through.  If you get a 200 mile range car, it's still one stop too. I'd still be able to go to SD or LA and back on a 200 mile range car no problem.  I don't think anyone would get a car with less than 125/150 range, unless it was super cheap as you stated.

When there is pressure to get output, and when they are working in tents. Idk

eyephone said:
Fact: car sales are down, people are keeping their cars longer. I think during a recession/pandemic not that many give a #### about new cars. In other words demand is lower now.

If the work from home thing becomes permanent or even a hybrid of 2-3 days in office and the rest at home, it?s going to be harder to justify spending 600-1000/month on a lease. For that little of driving may as well get a Toyota. 

akkord said:
Kenkoko said:

We have a model X and a BMW i3. 138 mile range on the i3 is too limited. I agree with you that about 200 miles is probably the minimum. But longer range = not having to worry about charging. It frees up your mental bandwidth ;D But it's also about more than just the range. For me, Tesla's autopilot is the biggest needle mover. It's something that's hard to live w/o once you've had it.

You're correct Tesla hasn't perfected their build quality. As a model X owner, it's a little frustrating they were never able to tune the falcon wings 100% right. But, it's still super awesome and a conversation starter (pre-COVID)

I think most people are more tolerant to small imperfections / inconvenience when it comes to new tech. The fun of driving the newest tech far outweighs to annoyance of needing to fix / tuneup little things.

When I think of them having superior tech, I think of software, their AP, how they?re able be so dang fast and fun, and even their battery/range efficiency.  I?d rather have them being good at that than panel gaps (which I don?t think I have any issues with, even if I did, they?ll fix it). 

Also, the last 5% charges slower, so if you plan your trip have to factor that in

I really think it?s at least 5 years until we really see good competition. 

akkord said:
Kenkoko said:

akkord said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I guess I got a Buffet mentality, buy to own, my car is old, haven't had a payment in years...more tech also means potentially more electronics that break down over time, I guess why a lot of you lease, swap cars every few years.  Leasing means you'll have car payments forever too.  Unfortuanately I don't have enough $ to buy a car every few years either.

With the GDP drop like a rock for 2nd quarter, we need more people like IHO. Open their pocket wide and spend more. I?ve over spent years ago.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:

If the work from home thing becomes permanent or even a hybrid of 2-3 days in office and the rest at home, it?s going to be harder to justify spending 600-1000/month on a lease. For that little of driving may as well get a Toyota.

Oc car sales down 22% according to oc register.

daedalus said:
eyephone said:
Oc car sales down 22% according to oc register.
Is that based on dealership sales?  Registration #s?  New and used?

Oc register: In 2020?s first six months, 67,036 new cars were registered in Orange County, according to data compiled by Experian. These figures, tracking no-fleet retail sales for the industry group, show sales had dropped 4% last year from 2018.

Auto sales were hurt by stay at home orders seeking to slow the COVID-19 pandemic?s spread. That ensuing lockdowns throttled business activity and slashed employment.

The association found some solace in the fact that June?s sales were off just 7% vs. 2019, with trucks up 6% over 12 months. And the countywide, year-over-year drop of 23% was only slightly larger than the nationwide decline of 20%.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oc...-plunge-22-tesla-model-3-top-selling-car/amp/

Back