Taking care of your greatest Asset: Your Physical Health

Panda, congrats on reaching your goal.

I don't see anything wrong with the "before" photo. But if you feel better now and might be around extra long for your family, then that's great!

Thanks Trojan,

I am no health expert by any means, but I think my ability to lose 40 lbs was 70% change in diet and 30% working out. It feels good mentally to be at my ideal weight. I still love to eat. Matter or fact I had Korean BBQ tonight with a good friend of mine today, however I don't do this on a regular basis.

These are Panda's STAR foods you should try to incorporate in your diet on a regular basis every week: Blueberries, Salmon, Trout, Tuna, Oatmeal, Dark Chocolate, Citrus fruits, Cantaloupes, Honey Dew Papaya, Soy, Tofu, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Red Peppers, Beets.Tomatoes, Nuts, Extra Virgin Oil, Red Wine, Green Tea, Broccoli, Spinach, Kale, Cabbage, Coffee, Avocado, Pomegrade, Dark Beans, Apples, Peaches, Watermelon, Red Grapes, Eggs, Garlic and onion.

I have a goal sheet in my health area as well. Just like finding a vocation of your passion, you should find a sport or exercise you really enjoy.  For me it is playing tennis, swimming, volleyball, roller blading, and rock climbing. Two sports that I am horrible at are golf and basketball. I pretty much suck in any sport where one needs to either hit or throw a ball in a small hole with very little variance which is basketball and golf.

therefore you will not see playing golf or basketball in my health goal list, but if you love to play basketball and golf... you should try to play once or twice a week with your friends. Revive a sport that you were passionate about when you were in your teenage years and it will make weight loss experience a lot more enjoyable.

Here are my Health and Fitness Goal sheet written in my journal (50-59). 

Health and Fitness
50. Play tennis twice a week.
51. Reach Ideal Weight of 151.2 lbs
52. Swim 5 days a week
53. Play Men's Volleyball League in Alpharetta twice a month
54. Rock Climbing to tone shoulder, chest, tricep and bicep muscles
55. Snowboard - Activity I enjoy
56. Rollerblading on Golf Course Trail twice a week with my boys.
57. Learn to Hover board on Water
58.  Aerobics exercise once a week.
59. Live until age 100.

Hope this information helps.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Wow, congrats Panda.  I too took the initiative to drop weight back around Memorial Day weekend when I found out my dad was diagnosed pre-diabetic.  I dropped 80-90% of the carbs out of my diet (all liquid sugars) and use Intermittent Fasting where I now eat 2x day within a 4 hour period.  I now do a 24-27 hour fast once a week and will probably try a 3-5 day fast once a month with the goal of getting back to under 200lbs by next spring. 

is it me or the old Panda looks like Tim Tebow, who has a wonderful physique. it will be more a challenge to replace those 40 lbs lost with pure, lean muscle, naturally.

On May 22, I posted about a friend who had just been diagnosed with highly aggressive Stage 2 breast cancer that spread to her lymph nodes.

Update for R2D: Today we found out all cancer has disappeared from the MRI. She is cancer-free.

PTL. Very thankful.

3SsN7KO.jpg

Unlike California, Illinois, and the east coast, Georgia is about 20 years behind when it comes to our sports program. The two sports I loved to play growing up were tennis and volleyball. 1992 was the first year the Illinois High School Association recognized boy's volleyball as a sport. The year is 2017 and Georgia High School Association still has not recognized boy's volleyball as a sport. We have girl's lacrosse and basketball JV/Varsity team, but we don't have a JV/Varsity Volleyball team for boys. I reached out to the GHSA and this was their response. I am the Nextdoor.com lead for my subdivision so I created this ad to get the adults in my subdivision excited to play Volleyball again so their children will want to play volleyball at the high school level. I really hope GHSA acknowledges boy's volleyball as sport in the next 5-7 years.

James ? We need 32 schools playing on a regular basis as a club sport, before we can petition to be a GHSA sport.  Over the last four years, the most we have gotten is 20 in a single season.  We do add schools every year, but we do lose others some years, so it is hard to get anywhere near the 32 number.  At your high school cluster, the head coach is Miss Ives.  She has talked over the years about doing a boys program and if you offered to help coach, she might be willing to start-up there.  Since you are interested in getting back into the sport yourself, I would recommend the Friday night league at the SVC.  I attached a link that will give you more information.  It?s basically an open gym night and players divide up by level and play ? it?s mens, womens and coed.  They have 5 courts there.  Since your boys are in 2nd grade, maybe we will have made more progress by the time they get to high school!
http://southernvolleyball.com/adult-volleyball/

Thank you for reaching out regarding boys volleyball! The GHSA is looking for a specific number of schools in the Atlanta area to participate with a boys volleyball program in order to sanction the sport. I wish I had a magical time frame, but unfortunately, I do not. I can tell you that the number of schools with teams tends to fluctuate due to a number of reasons, some being that there are interested players but no one willing to coach, that there is a coach but not enough interested players, or not enough support from the athletic department due to it not being sanctioned by GHSA.

Our season is in the spring, when we have access to the courts. I can let you know at that time when and where we play, if you would like to bring your boys to watch. There are also some travel club volleyball teams (not school affiliated) in the Atlanta area that have or are building boys programs that you can get your sons involved with. Some of those include A5 (GA5), Atlanta Extreme, North Atlanta Volleyball Club, and several others.

What is your 2018 new year's resolution for your physical health? Have you thought about picking up tennis, swimming, or aerobics? I read this article a while back and now playing tennis once or twice a week, swimming daily, and weekly aerobics has become a habitual daily routine for me. I highly recommend incorporating playing tennis, swimming, and aerobics in your daily lifestyle. Not only will burn off the calories and the fat, but you will also take care of your greatest asset which is your physical health. If you need to find a tennis partner whom you can play with, you can find one here on Talk Irvine.

"When the team looked just at the risk of death from cardiovascular disease, they found that swimming reduced the risk by 41%, racket sports by 56% and aerobics by 36%. Running, cycling and football showed no protective effect."

Source:https://www.theguardian.com/science...-ace-at-reducing-risk-of-death-study-suggests

While visiting Irvine, I had a chance to play tennis with a friend of mine at Beckman High. Unfortunately my string broke so continued to play with my broken racket until it completely fell apart.  I took my Babolat to Irvine Tennis at Walnut Avenue and they changed the string and replaced my grip for me for a ridiculously low price within 4 hours. I was impressed, therefore I highly recommend Irvine Tennis.

VNm0yrS.jpg

As I looked thru some of my old journals in my 20 and 30s, I would set a weight loss goal and never seem to achieve it year after year. Most of my mid 20s throughout my 30s I weighed in range between 183 - 193 lbs. Each year between Dec 25 - Jan 1, I would write down the same goal of : I wish I could lose 20 lbs, but year after year my weight would remain the same.

The most important thing is to have your goal written down. Next write why you want to accomplish this goal, and your action plan to reach this goal. Have a definite date of when you would like to achieve this goal. I genuinely care for the Irvine community and would be more than happy to share my experience with anyone who is interested in losing weight in a healthy manner. I lost 40lbs naturally by eating right and exercising. I don't believe in starving yourself to lose weight as I am someone who loves to eat.

Once a week, I go on a lunch date with Ms. Panda. Today she told me with a laugh, "Panda, ever since we got married in 2005, you would write these weight goals year after year and your weight would never change. You obviously know that I didn't marry you for your looks. lol..... but 10 years later you finally did it! I am so proud of you." 

A comment like that from your wife makes a man happy. :)

Panda said:
My two favorite athletes. Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.
It's like saying Ronaldo and Messi are my favorite soccer players

Trump and Hillary are my favorite politicians

Pick a side mate

When applied to the other five categories of sport explored, it was found that swimming was linked to a 28% reduced risk of heart disease, while the figure was 47% for tennis and 27% for aerobic exercise such as keep fit or dance.

When the team looked just at the risk of death from cardiovascular heart disease, they found that swimming reduced the risk by 41%, tennis by 56% and aerobics by 36%.

- British Journal of Sports Medicine

Research has shown that the #1 cause of death in America is heart disease. Try to make Tennis, Swimming, and Aerobics as part of active lifestyle to live a healthier life. Please take care of your greatest asset - Your Physical Health.

- Panda

Aerobics : Burn rate 664 Calories / Hour

Singles Tennis : Burn rate 728 Calories / Hour

Swim : Burn rate 892 Calories / Hour

RWM_Instagram_RealPhysical_Trio.jpg

Throughout most of my 20s and 30s, I was over weight by 30-40 pounds. I felt hopeless and times and thought that I was destined for this weight for the rest of my life. By the time we are 35 years old, 95% of our memories are our repetitions of our past (fixed mindset) and 5% is your subconscious mind that you can change with determination (growth mind set). This is the reason why it is so difficult for the middle age adults to break their habits of 20 years. You can change if your 5% of the subconscious mind can win over the 95% of your body. Getting down to your ideal weight is no different. It is the little habits you do today that make the big differences in your future. Getting down to your ideal weight is a compound effect. I am grateful that I have been able to maintain my ideal weight for about 2 years now. If any of you are struggling with a similar situation, let me know what I can do to help.

- Panda

For the longest time, I thought that the key of living a long healthy life is eating the right diet, working out, swimming, playing tennis. Especially we as men sometimes feel like we don't need nobody since we are men. Men are not suppose to share our struggles and challenges we face in life with other men. We are suppose to look and act like we have it all together, especially living in Irvine.

What if I told you that the length of your life may depend on the meaningful relationships you have in your life? Perhaps we all need to proactive in building authentic meaningful relationships. Quality is more important than quality when it comes to deep meaningful friendships? Do you have such a friend?

HARVARD STUDY, almost 80 years old, has proved that embracing community helps us.

When scientists began tracking the health of 268 Harvard sophomores in 1938 during the Great Depression, they hoped the longitudinal study would reveal clues to leading healthy and happy lives.
They got more than they wanted.

After following the surviving Crimson men for nearly 80 years as part of the Harvard Study of Adult Development, one of the world?s longest studies of adult life, researchers have collected a cornucopia of data on their physical and mental health.

Of the original Harvard cohort recruited as part of the Grant Study, only 19 are still alive, all in their mid-90s. Among the original recruits were eventual President John F. Kennedy and longtime Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee. (Women weren?t in the original study because the College was still all male.)

In addition, scientists eventually expanded their research to include the men?s offspring, who now number 1,300 and are in their 50s and 60s, to find out how early-life experiences affect health and aging over time. Some participants went on to become successful businessmen, doctors, lawyers, and others ended up as schizophrenics or alcoholics, but not on inevitable tracks.

During the intervening decades, the control groups have expanded. In the 1970s, 456 Boston inner-city residents were enlisted as part of the Glueck Study, and 40 of them are still alive. More than a decade ago, researchers began including wives in the Grant and Glueck studies.

Over the years, researchers have studied the participants? health trajectories and their broader lives, including their triumphs and failures in careers and marriage, and the finding have produced startling lessons, and not only for the researchers.

?The surprising finding is that our relationships and how happy we are in our relationships has a powerful influence on our health,? said Robert Waldinger, director of the study, a psychiatrist at Massachusetts General Hospital and a professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. ?Taking care of your body is important, but tending to your relationships is a form of self-care too. That, I think, is the revelation.?

Source:https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/st...showing-how-to-live-a-healthy-and-happy-life/

Back