Taking care of your greatest Asset: Your Physical Health

Hello Panda,

I didn't have a chance to thank you before for this thread.  Thank you!!! At one point you had a spreadsheet showing your weight loss and that was so similar to my previous weight loss.  I have a few decades on you so it's harder for me but same height, etc.  That was when I was swimming four or five nights a week.  Then, everything went south and I gained everything back and more due to bad eating habits.  But every once in a while I would go back to this thread and tell myself I would create a weight loss spreadsheet and make a reasonable target like losing a half pound or one pound per week.  It still wasn't working out but I kept at it.  Your positive messages kept me going.  Thank you again!

I also have to thank USCTrojanCPA for his intermittent fasting thread.  I kept seeing YouTube videos on intermittent fasting but I wasn't sure if it would work for me.  I started intermittent fasting on 2/1/2018, the 16 - 8 easy one as I know I won't be able to do anything more extreme than that long term.  My biggest problem was snacking all day long.  I just could not stop snacking.  I didn't think it was possible but from day one, I just completely stopped snacking outside my 8 hour eating window.  I didn't think it would be as simple as that.  :)  Jumping to the results, from my max weight earlier this year, I have lost about 30 pounds.  I know some may think only 30 pounds in 9 or 10 months but I am very happy with that for now.

I'm getting older so I have some other health issues to take care of but at least I feel like my weight is where it needs to be.

Thank you again, Panda and USCTrojan.

Panda said:
Throughout most of my 20s and 30s, I was over weight by 30-40 pounds. I felt hopeless and times and thought that I was destined for this weight for the rest of my life. By the time we are 35 years old, 95% of our memories are our repetitions of our past (fixed mindset) and 5% is your subconscious mind that you can change with determination (growth mind set). This is the reason why it is so difficult for the middle age adults to break their habits of 20 years. You can change if your 5% of the subconscious mind can win over the 95% of your body. Getting down to your ideal weight is no different. It is the little habits you do today that make the big differences in your future. Getting down to your ideal weight is a compound effect. I am grateful that I have been able to maintain my ideal weight for about 2 years now. If any of you are struggling with a similar situation, let me know what I can do to help.

- Panda

Irvinehusky,
I am very proud of you and thanks for sharing. It is the little things we do everyday that make the big differences down the road especially in our health. I see that you are swimmer. I also swim 20 laps every morning. You have find activities that you enjoy to do. For me, the three activities I really enjoy are aerobics (Step / Kickbox Jam), Tennis, and Swimming. I also run about 4 miles on the trend mill every morning while listening to a good audio book. I don't like lifting weights, so for strength training I like rock climb once a week. This keeps me accountable in my weight as it become more and more difficult for me to rock climb, the heavier I get.

Whether it is playing soccer or basketball, you have the find the activities that works for you and an activity that you enjoy.... and Most importantly be intentional in make new meaningful friendships and relationships. There was a recent Harvard study that really opened my eyes about health. Studies showed that having deep meaningful relationships whether it be your wife, friends, and family is the key for long life and overall happiness. I always thought that the top three criteria were 1)Genetics 2) Diet 3) Exercise and this study showed otherwise studying men from the 1930s.

Anyway Congrats and thanks for sharing the good news.

Panda

irvinehusky said:
Hello Panda,

I didn't have a chance to thank you before for this thread.  Thank you!!! At one point you had a spreadsheet showing your weight loss and that was so similar to my previous weight loss.  I have a few decades on you so it's harder for me but same height, etc.  That was when I was swimming four or five nights a week.  Then, everything went south and I gained everything back and more due to bad eating habits.  But every once in a while I would go back to this thread and tell myself I would create a weight loss spreadsheet and make a reasonable target like losing a half pound or one pound per week.  It still wasn't working out but I kept at it.  Your positive messages kept me going.  Thank you again!

I also have to thank USCTrojanCPA for his intermittent fasting thread.  I kept seeing YouTube videos on intermittent fasting but I wasn't sure if it would work for me.  I started intermittent fasting on 2/1/2018, the 16 - 8 easy one as I know I won't be able to do anything more extreme than that long term.  My biggest problem was snacking all day long.  I just could not stop snacking.  I didn't think it was possible but from day one, I just completely stopped snacking outside my 8 hour eating window.  I didn't think it would be as simple as that.  :)  Jumping to the results, from my max weight earlier this year, I have lost about 30 pounds.  I know some may think only 30 pounds in 9 or 10 months but I am very happy with that for now.

I'm getting older so I have some other health issues to take care of but at least I feel like my weight is where it needs to be.

Thank you again, Panda and USCTrojan.

Panda said:
Throughout most of my 20s and 30s, I was over weight by 30-40 pounds. I felt hopeless and times and thought that I was destined for this weight for the rest of my life. By the time we are 35 years old, 95% of our memories are our repetitions of our past (fixed mindset) and 5% is your subconscious mind that you can change with determination (growth mind set). This is the reason why it is so difficult for the middle age adults to break their habits of 20 years. You can change if your 5% of the subconscious mind can win over the 95% of your body. Getting down to your ideal weight is no different. It is the little habits you do today that make the big differences in your future. Getting down to your ideal weight is a compound effect. I am grateful that I have been able to maintain my ideal weight for about 2 years now. If any of you are struggling with a similar situation, let me know what I can do to help.

- Panda

You need to change your name to IrvineNotSoHusky. :)

I struggle with weight... and the older I get... the harder the struggle. I try to stay active but then I get injured, gain more weight and then it makes staying active harder. I'm actually losing a little weight now more from diet change... eating smaller meals in the evening and no late night snacking... but I need to lose more to have a meaningful impact on my health (and knees).

I need to do more weekday activities but it's tough with work, family, etc. I try to get out even if it's just for a walk.. but those are less often than I'd like.

I get tempted by those testosterone booster ads (Frank Thomas!) but I feel that I need to do this with diet and exercise, not Nugenix.

Highly recommend consulting a nutritionist who can recommend a personalized plan based on your individual body and hormone type (after a blood panel )

Weight loss is tricky but there are ways to hack it if you know the initial conditions you are working with . I used to sneer at these Silicon Valley types and their ?body hacking ? nonsense until I tried something myself and lost almost 20 lbs .

IHO,
Again, I appreciate you being real and honest. What I observed in my life is that everything is a compound effect. Rarely is your life moving in a straight line,  things are either improving your life or declining whether it is your marriage, parenting, weight, career aspirations, your finances, your relationships. What I also realize is that is the little changes that we do everyday, is what makes massive differences in our future.

For example, if you are struggling with your weight, don't try to see massive results in just a week or a month. Change little things.. like having oatmeal vs white rice. Going to the Korean BBQ once a quarter vs making it an every Friday night dining. Find activities that you enjoy. Perhaps you love playing basketball... I couldn't play basketball if my life depended on it. I don't even know how to dribble a basketball. The idea of trying to make a ball go into a small hole stresses me out. Perhaps that is why I don't like playing golf either. Tennis is fun for me as I find it to be a creative sport as it doesn't involve throwing a tennis ball into a small hole. You have to find the health activities that you enjoy.

Although, I love Martin.. I don't believe in starving yourself to lose weight. I still love to eat and I probably still eat as much as I did when was 194 lbs... but what has changed is what I eat and it has become a habit.. You have to make small changes to your habits daily. 

irvinehomeowner said:
You need to change your name to IrvineNotSoHusky. :)

I struggle with weight... and the older I get... the harder the struggle. I try to stay active but then I get injured, gain more weight and then it makes staying active harder. I'm actually losing a little weight now more from diet change... eating smaller meals in the evening and no late night snacking... but I need to lose more to have a meaningful impact on my health (and knees).

I need to do more weekday activities but it's tough with work, family, etc. I try to get out even if it's just for a walk.. but those are less often than I'd like.

I get tempted by those testosterone booster ads (Frank Thomas!) but I feel that I need to do this with diet and exercise, not Nugenix.

What about you eat what your body desires and just walk/jog around the town for 20-30 in every morning or night? Something you can do in Irvine or any safe neighbors even after dinner. Of course you shouldn't eat too much each time. I heard if you get stressed from the diet, it's even worse.

Mety said:
What about you eat what your body desires and just walk/jog around the town for 20-30 in every morning or night? Something you can do in Irvine or any safe neighbors even after dinner. Of course you shouldn't eat too much each time. I heard if you get stressed from the diet, it's even worse.

That may work AFTER you have achieved the desired state , to maintain it

Again - my belief is everyone finds their personal comfort zone and they should be fine w it , don?t care what others think or say

BUT For those who need dramatic changes ? it requires more than Just the occasional workout or daily jog

fortune11 said:
BUT For those who need dramatic changes ? it requires more than Just the occasional workout or daily jog

not only that, but if you're making a drastic change (10-20% of your bodyweight) you need to be a little hungry sometimes.  we live in a world where it's far too easy to overeat based on most people's activity level.  exercise helps speed up the process, but in the end it boils down to what you do and you do not put into your mouth.  when you are hungry, your body is no longer in its comfort zone and that's how you know changes are being made.  hunger is also a short term feeling that goes away after a while.  ever had hunger pangs, but been too busy to eat and after a half hour it goes away?  you don't have to eat every time you are hungry.

for anyone that is serious about losing weight, the best way to do it is to start counting calories of everything you eat each day.  it's a tedious process, but if you want to be successful you need to start from the beginning.  there are formulas and calculators that will tell you how much to eat based on your weight and activity level, but in the end everyone is different and you need to find your baseline caloric expenditure by tracking your weight in the morning on an empty stomach for a week or two, and then slowly reduce from there. 

years ago it was much harder to track your eating and calorie count (looking at the back of boxes, measuring food), but now there are countless apps that you can download on your phone and type in what you eat and it will keep a log for you.  if this all sounds like too much work, you can pay someone to do it for you and to tell you what and when to eat (the goal is to starve off hunger pangs as best you can with certain foods and drinks), but in the end you're making drastic changes to your body and it's going to hurt for a little bit.

Yes , kings is right

Learn to tolerate hunger and even fast once in a while when you can

Your body will feel different - it will adapt to the new setting over time

The most common enemy of all diet plans is sugar ... More on that later

Not all calories are created equal....stay away from calories that spike your insulin, the less insulin in your blood the more likely your body will be in ketosis (aka your body burning fat for energy instead of glucose).  I've lost about 40 lbs in the past year + doing IF with lower carb eats with ZERO exercise.  It's 90%+ diet but I do need to start hitting the gym and/or doing extending fasting (3-7 days) to lose those last 10 lbs as I've hit a wall.  haha

frederer.jpg

"Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless ? like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."

- Bruce Lee

BRUCELEE.jpg

You want to watch your sugar and carb intake. Sugar intake is what is harmful to your body, therefore needs to be monitored.

Back