Taking care of your greatest Asset: Your Physical Health

irvinehomeowner said:
I've started casual biking in lieu of basketball.

So if you see a "husky" dude riding around the Great Park... say "Hey IHO!".

miles and miles and miles of nice bike trails in Irvine. see you around 8)

If anyone reading this ever gets a chance to feel cancer on someone you know, I recommend it so you know what to look for.

My friend was diagnosed with breast cancer on Thursday. On Friday, she told me to feel it. She had a clear mammogram just 7 months ago. It popped up seemingly overnight. (We learned today that it's very aggressive.)  It's at 10 o'clock from the nipple. I didn't want to hurt her since she just had a biopsy on it, so, obviously I'm like - noooo, I can't do that to you. She was insistent. So, I was hesitant and extremely gentle. What surprised me is how evident it is even with a very light touch like mine. Her cancer is very hard. It felt a lot like a cyst, which is exactly what we all thought it would be. 

I think for a lot of people, when we check ourselves in the shower like we're ALL supposed to, we don't really know exactly what we're on the hunt for. I know that I've pushed painfully deep into myself with my fingers, wondering if that was far enough. It helps a lot if you can get some idea with a real life example. At least with hers, there's really no questioning that something is there.

Does anyone have a particular brand / model of elliptical machine or stationary recumbent bike that they like? I want to buy something that is good quality, durable, needs little maintenance or repairs.

I've gotten incredibly fat in recent years. I'm killing myself on hills outdoors every week... just got back, in fact... but need to do more. Eating fewer sweets is not an option.  :p

SoCal said:
If anyone reading this ever gets a chance to feel cancer on someone you know, I recommend it so you know what to look for.

My friend was diagnosed with breast cancer on Thursday. On Friday, she told me to feel it. She had a clear mammogram just 7 months ago. It popped up seemingly overnight. (We learned today that it's very aggressive.)  It's at 10 o'clock from the nipple. I didn't want to hurt her since she just had a biopsy on it, so, obviously I'm like - noooo, I can't do that to you. She was insistent. So, I was hesitant and extremely gentle. What surprised me is how evident it is even with a very light touch like mine. Her cancer is very hard. It felt a lot like a cyst, which is exactly what we all thought it would be. 

I think for a lot of people, when we check ourselves in the shower like we're ALL supposed to, we don't really know exactly what we're on the hunt for. I know that I've pushed painfully deep into myself with my fingers, wondering if that was far enough. It helps a lot if you can get some idea with a real life example. At least with hers, there's really no questioning that something is there.

Are most breast cancers hard when you palpate them? My friend just had a newborn last week, 5 days after starting breast feeding, a soft squishy non-tender irregular lump appeared in her axilla. Common with breastfeeding? Or should get it checked out asap?

SoCal said:

Found my own. Most breast cancers are slow growers. Mine was particularly aggressive and fast growing. Histology was the worst it could be. My treatment was very aggressive (chemo every two weeks vs typical every three). Doc said if I was older, my body probably wouldn't have tolerated the full course of chemo every two weeks and I would have had to wait to recover between rounds.

Caught early most breast cancer has a high survival rate. Mine being particularly "nasty" was 40% for 5 year survival and 20% for 10 years. It's been just over 10 years since my treatment ended. Still go to the docs 6-7 times a year for routine checks. Had a couple biopsies on the opposite breast but nothing bad has shown up again.

Lots of new meds (and tons of research thanks to the Susan G. Koman foundation) are improving breast cancer survival.

One in 8 women at some time in their lives will have breast cancer. South Orange county has a higher incidence than that (about 20% higher), especially for white women.

Important to go to the boob squisher appts. Can't stress that enough. Catch it early.

Ready2Downsize said:
SoCal said:

Found my own. Most breast cancers are slow growers. Mine was particularly aggressive and fast growing. Histology was the worst it could be. My treatment was very aggressive (chemo every two weeks vs typical every three). Doc said if I was older, my body probably wouldn't have tolerated the full course of chemo every two weeks and I would have had to wait to recover between rounds.

Caught early most breast cancer has a high survival rate. Mine being particularly "nasty" was 40% for 5 year survival and 20% for 10 years. It's been just over 10 years since my treatment ended. Still go to the docs 6-7 times a year for routine checks. Had a couple biopsies on the opposite breast but nothing bad has shown up again.

Lots of new meds (and tons of research thanks to the Susan G. Koman foundation) are improving breast cancer survival.

One in 8 women at some time in their lives will have breast cancer. South Orange county has a higher incidence than that (about 20% higher), especially for white women.

Important to go to the boob squisher appts. Can't stress that enough. Catch it early.

Absolutely agree. Thank you for sharing that personal account of your experience.
And despite national recommendations I would start mammogram screening at age 40. I know I will when I get to that age.

R2D - so glad you survived. It gives me hope. Yours sounds similar to my friend's. She's now diagnosed at Stage 2 with aggressive cancer. It has spread to one lymph node in her armpit. She just got a PET scan to see if the cancer is anywhere else in her body. We're waiting on results. They're going to do treatment before surgical removal of the lump in the breast to determine which cocktail is most effective in shrinking the tumor. But they've already decided to do a double mastectomy and a hysterectomy. Gah. She's getting a PICC line placed as I type.

Similar to what you said, her doctor also said O.C., S.F., & N.Y. have the highest breast cancer rates. I know people will try to look for links to tons of things (like antiperspirant usage, water supply, etc. etc.) but I'll always wonder if breast implants are a link. My friend does have them. However, hers are saline and are under the muscle. So she says there's no increased risk due to that. Hmm.

I'm too young for mammograms but will definitely go once I reach the proper age (40 or up?).

I have no implants, never took birth control pills, never smoked, not Jewish, not fat etc. I did have some formaldehyde exposure at work, so maybe that had something to do with it.

If you have any questions about lumps get the mammo. I had a friend who had BC at 27 (another nurse who felt it on her own and went in........ also no known risk factors.

Overweight does put one at risk of a lot of cancers. I think maybe hormones stored in fat or something like that????

Some people just have the unluck of getting the big C.
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ncer-is-partly-caused-by-bad-luck-study-finds

U never know if/when it will come back..... rogue cells just waiting to get turned on. That's why my doc visits are "routine". They aren't saying but the truth is they want to catch anything new early.

Olivia Newton John just had hers spread to her bones 25 years later. :(

I can't take credit for this wonderful article as an Irvine friend of mine I met on TalkIrvine sent me this article and it really influenced on how I spend my time in my physical activities. A sport I really loved as a kid is tennis and I used to teach tennis at a local YMCA in high school and during my summer months of my college years. I hadn't played much as adult after college, but started to pick up the sport again this year with two of my college buddies every Thursday and Friday mornings between 7:00 - 8:00 AM. I also try to incorporate swimming and kickboxing into my physical workout. I have to thank my Irvine friend who had influenced me to make these lifestyle changes. Heart disease is particularly a sensitive topic for me as that is how my father passed away five years ago at a young age of 65.

Try to incorporate playing tennis, swimming, and aerobics into your daily lifestyle. Whatever you do today will compound your Physical wealth for the future. In my opinion, your Physical wealth is far more important than your financial wealth. You are only given one body in life.

tennis-banner-3.jpg

The research is based on the results from eleven nationally representative baseline health examination surveys carried out in the United Kingdom between 1994 and 2006.

A total of 80,000 adult respondents were involved. Among the questions they were asked to answer, some assessed the link between six sports ? swimming, cycling, aerobics, racket sports, football and running ? and death from a range of causes.

Running can be good for the health, but protects people less against cardiovascular disease than other sportsiStock
While no significant protective effects were found for football and running, the other sports appeared to reduce the risk of dying, in particular from a cardiovascular disease.

For instance, who played tennis, squash or badminton had a 47% lower risk of death from any cause ? and 56% lower risk of death from cardiovascular disease ? than those who didn't play racket sports. Swimming was associated with a 41% lower risk or cardiovascular death and people engaging in aerobics a 36% lower risk.

I would be totally self conscious and embarrassed to post this photo up on Facebook, but I am posting it up here for my Irvine folks to see. I reached my peak weight of 194.3 lbs on 11/17/2015. I was one fat Panda back then and had a goal to the reach the weight of the average south Korean male of 151.2 and reached that goal on April 17th, 2017.

This post is not some informercial for taking diet pills. I lost 43.1 lbs naturally by working out on a regular basis in the mornings and changing my diet. If a fat Panda like myself can do this... any of you reading can do it too by setting your goal of your ideal weight and working towards it. I had number 151.2 lbs written in my journal (The average weight of a South Korean male) and it became a reality on April 17th, 2017. Now, I am trying to maintain a range between 151.2 - 154.0 for the rest of my life and I am truly grateful to God.

Recently I sat on my desk and wrote a total of 100 goals in 7 categories of my life that I would like to try to achieve before I die. I may only achieve only 30-50% of them... but at least I have a target to shoot for.

1. Financial & Networth
2. Business & Career & Personal Achievements
3. Fun Time / Vacations / Sights and Places I want to see
4. Health and Fitness
5. Family + Relationship : Wife and Children
6. Personal Growth
7. Contribution / Spiritual & Emotional Goals

It is a fun exercise and I encourage everyone here to give it a shot and start crossing out the goals that you end up achieving.

Wow, congrats Panda.  I too took the initiative to drop weight back around Memorial Day weekend when I found out my dad was diagnosed pre-diabetic.  I dropped 80-90% of the carbs out of my diet (all liquid sugars) and use Intermittent Fasting where I now eat 2x day within a 4 hour period.  I now do a 24-27 hour fast once a week and will probably try a 3-5 day fast once a month with the goal of getting back to under 200lbs by next spring. 

Amazing Panda! So proud of you!  :) You give us doctors who constantly see obese non-compliant patients with multiple chronic medical issues some hope. I'm seeing more people switch out of processed foods to organic plant based foods and it gives me hope for healthier future generations (than what we face today.) It's amazing how much our personal decisions in health and fitness and simply what we put into our bodies influence our future health, longevity and overall happiness.

Actually, I think Panda looks healthier at 190 than at 150.

Maybe go up to 170, then when you challenge for the lightweight UFC title, drop back down to 155. :)

Back