Taking care of your greatest Asset: Your Physical Health

Congrats.  As others have mentioned, the hardest part will be maintaining the weight especially with the holidays around the corner.  My work pants always feel really tight when I go back to work in the new year.

BTW, Happy 40th.  It's 11/17 EST now.

Congrats panda!

I'm like every other person.  Come winter time it is so hard to get out and make it a point to go work out especially when it's cold outside so I applaud your dedication.  Most days I snuggle up to some xbox games or Netflix.  I'll admit I usually only work out consistently when it's beach weather so I'll try to make it my goal till end of year to go more often.  We can all be healthier together.  I'm still young so that's my main excuse but when I hit my thirties, I know my body won't be as forgiving to my eating lifestyle so got to start soon

Panda said:
I had set a goal to achieve my ideal weight of 151 by my 40th birthday on November 17th, 2016.

Panda, belated wishes for a Happy 40th!! I hope you had a great time celebrating and I hope the coming year is your best year yet.

2016 was kind of a game-changer for us.

We had a possible cancer scare with Mr. SoCal. I have never been so nervous in my life as I was the week we had to wait for test results and then another week for a second round of tests. I have been with Mr. SoCal for my entire adult life. He obviously means everything to me because he is all I know. He's been my whole world for half my life. Of course, as over-analyzing is what I do best: My mind started racing to the worst possible scenario that I would have to do this life alone with 2 boys. That is especially scary when you've never been on your own. (I went straight from my father's house to my husband's house.) It was terrifying. I was praying hard. THANKFULLY, everything came back FINE with that. NO CANCER. What a relief! But he was diagnosed w/ high b.p.. He's on medication but it's not working that well.

I'm still concerned that he's going to die before me, especially now that he's getting older. Both of his grandfathers were dead by the age he is now and his father is currently battling cancer. All these things have encouraged us (well, me) to take precautions. He mostly prefers to live in a state of denial. Since I'm 10 years younger than him, I've made some changes to our lives that would allow me to transition more smoothly to the life of a widow & single mom in the event that he suddenly passes away. It's better to take care of some things at a time that's good for you rather than all at once while you're under the yoke of extreme grief. We still need to iron out some of the details but we're moving in the right direction. Financially, we're in good shape so that helps a lot. It sucks having to face that fact that we're all going to die but I trust that everything will be okay if / when it happens. I trust God 110%.

SoCal said:

We had a possible cancer scare with Mr. SoCal. I have never been so nervous in my life as I was the week we had to wait for test results and then another week for a second round of tests. I have been with Mr. SoCal for my entire adult life. He obviously means everything to me because he is all I know. He's been my whole world for half my life. Of course, as over-analyzing is what I do best: My mind started racing to the worst possible scenario that I would have to do this life alone with 2 boys. That is especially scary when you've never been on your own. (I went straight from my father's house to my husband's house.) It was terrifying. I was praying hard. THANKFULLY, everything came back FINE with that. NO CANCER. What a relief! But he was diagnosed w/ high b.p.. He's on medication but it's not working that well.

I'm still concerned that he's going to die before me, especially now that he's getting older. Both of his grandfathers were dead by the age he is now and his father is currently battling cancer. All these things have encouraged us (well, me) to take precautions. He mostly prefers to live in a state of denial. Since I'm 10 years younger than him, I've made some changes to our lives that would allow me to transition more smoothly to the life of a widow & single mom in the event that he suddenly passes away. It's better to take care of some things at a time that's good for you rather than all at once while you're under the yoke of extreme grief. We still need to iron out some of the details but we're moving in the right direction. Financially, we're in good shape so that helps a lot. It sucks having to face that fact that we're all going to die but I trust that everything will be okay if / when it happens. I trust God 110%.

Glad to hear that cancer wasn't the diagnosis for Mr. SoCal! I have lost close family members to cancer and others who are cancer survivors. It's always a relief when the diagnosis comes back negative. It's also good that you are being proactive now if the worst does happen to Mr. SoCal.

Funny thing about growing older after you hit a certain age, there are more years behind you than in front of you.  :eek: My friend's daughter likes to tease me about that. 

The California Court Company said:
45 weeks to drop less than 30 lbs is pretty lame to be honest. A more dedicated and disciplined person should be able to do 1 to 2 lbs per week, while maintaining a healthy life style.

For 30 lbs, 45 weeks might be ideal.  It indicates a very slow change to eating patterns.  Sure, you could drop 2 lbs a week and have it done in months.  But you won't really have changed your eating patterns and have a massive chance to put the weight back on.  There have been multiple studies showing that the body reacts very creatively to significant calorie reductions and restores the lost weight with ease.

SoCal,
I am so glad that Mr. SoCal is not diagnosed with cancer. It is times like this when you start to think about what is truly important in your life. As I recently turned 40, I am also starting to realize that the Lord is in full control of my life. As I turned 40, Time becomes more precious as a man can store up money for the future, but he cannot store time for the future. You can never gamble with time.

For most of my 20s and mid 30s most of my goals were focused Financial and Business goals. Now, I am setting my goals in 7 areas 1) Spiritual Goals, 2) Family Goals 3) Personal Growth Goals 4) Vacation / Fun time Goals 5) Health/Weight Goals 6) Financial 7) Business. My primary focus in 2017 are my 7) business goals, 2) family goals, and 1) spiritual goals.

SoCal said:

The California Court Company said:
45 weeks to drop less than 30 lbs is pretty lame to be honest. A more dedicated and disciplined person should be able to do 1 to 2 lbs per week, while maintaining a healthy life style.

Rude. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. This person hasn't done anything to you. If you have a shred of decency, you'll man-up and apologize for that. Consider this a challenge.

Panda, sorry, I don't know how I missed it earlier but I send my belated congratulations on your successful weight loss. It is no easy task.

Hey Panda, well done.  Like others have said, the weight loss you accomplished is no easy task.  Great job.  Keep at those goals of yours. 

This post is for Iho but I don't know where to put it so I'll just leave it here.

Just wondering if you are going to get knee-replacement surgery. I remember you've mentioned a bad knee several times in the past.

I thought of you when I was watching the show "Skin Tight" the other night. (It's a series about formerly obese people who are left with a lot of extra loose skin which they surgically remove, hence the name of the show.) This one fellow had weighed well over 300 lbs. He lost all the weight. But he was left with destroyed knee joints due to the stress the weight had put on them. He had vertical scars running up both legs due to knee-replacement surgery. However, he still looked extremely stiff while walking and that was AFTER the surgery. I was shocked. He almost shuffled his feet, it was that bad. Hopefully the pain subsided. But still, one would hope the joints would become a little less rusty after having surgery. Anyway, it just made me think of your rusty knee/s. I don't know if those results are typical however I do have a friend who had a similar outcome, unfortunately.

I'm hoping for bionics.

"$6 Million Dollar IHO" pilot on NBC for the 2018-19 Fall schedule.

Although this doesn't seem to matter, I live in Irvine so some type of environmental hazard will kill me before my knees do.

#EveryThreadHasYellowFever

Panda said:
SoCal,
I am so glad that Mr. SoCal is not diagnosed with cancer. It is times like this when you start to think about what is truly important in your life.

Yes, you would certainly think it would put a person's priorities in order.

His b.p. is now off the rails. Exercise routine? Fizzled out. Diet changes? Minor. He's gained weight. Maxed out on one b.p. med. A 2nd one added yesterday. I told him: "You'd better not frickin' die on me." He's like, "I won't." As if saying that is enough to make it true. He thinks I'm over-reacting. Maybe so. But at least I take it seriously unlike some people. All you Fat Househusbands of the O.C., take note.

Dogs are the best medicine. They lower your blood pressure, force you to walk when you don't want to, and help you meet your neighbors.

Loco_local said:
Dogs are the best medicine. They lower your blood pressure, force you to walk when you don't want to, and help you meet your neighbors.

How about eating healthy, instead of eating takeout food. 
;)

(Related to the Chinese/Asian delivery food delivery thread started by loco)

irvinehomeowner said:
I've started casual biking in lieu of basketball.

So if you see a "husky" dude riding around the Great Park... say "Hey IHO!".

Irvine dream - make a note of this jk

irvinehomeowner said:
I've started casual biking in lieu of basketball.

So if you see a "husky" dude riding around the Great Park... say "Hey IHO!".

Iho, good for you! I'm proud of you. Keep up the good work. Just remember to pace yourself so you can stick with it.

Back