Taking care of your greatest Asset: Your Physical Health

SoCal, Sorry I took down this chart as I thought it was inappropriate to post up my weight chart for everyone on Talk Irvine to see, but since you are asking , here it is.

I am 5'8" tall Asian male with a medium body frame so my healthy weight range is between 145 - 157 with the median number of 151 lbs, which happens to the average weight of a South Korean male.

I am embarrassed to say this, but most of my 20s and 30s, I was overweight weighing in the mid 180s. It was one of those things were you always make a new year's resolution where I would like weigh "x" by December 31st, 20xx and it would never happen year after year. 2016 was the year when I was intentional about making this change.

I set an ambitious goal for myself to reach 151 lbs by December 31st, 2016, but I will be very happy if I can stabilize at 155lb as I know that this is a healthy weight for me. I weighed 155 lbs during college years where I was more fit and I felt very good about myself.

The most important change I made in 2016 was starting to eat healthier, saying no to AYCE Korean BBQ and sticking to a regular work out schedule 6:30 in the morning Monday thru Friday. For those you guys in a similar situation as me, you can do this if you set your mind to it and put together a plan for your health.

WEIGHT.jpg

SoCal said:
What happened to your weight chart, Panda? I was going to say good work.

I'd like to live a long time...just came back from the motherland and from visiting my almost 105 years old grandfather.  He was looking pretty good although recently bed ridden since he caught an infection.  But still looking healthy.

Meanwhile, my parents and their siblings main conversation during dinner (the family hasn't gotten together as a group for awhile) was how many amongst their friends/old school mates were still alive.  They are all in their mid seventies and a surprising number of their friends were dead (died of a heart attack, couple of suicides from business failures, cancer). 

I just watched an episode of Adventure Time with one of my kids and there is a scene where one of the characters goes through aging and describes each decade with a sentence.  The description for the seventies was "see the people around you pass"...  So I guess that is the thing for the seventies.

Anyways, my older family members all look great for their age and the main thing they all do in common is eating many meals a day, decreasing sugar intake, exercise with weights, and don't eat until you are full (i.e. eat up to about 80% fullness which is a saying in our country). 

Also, here is a link to the world's supercentenarians (110 or older) with photos. 
http://www.grg.org/calment.html

Each year link has 10 or more records of people 110 or older (both alive and deceased) and their photos.  Really interesting to see some who are completey decrepit and others who are of good health and active at the same age.

How about this 112 year old lady, still active and traveling pictured on the attachment with her son who is 88.  Amazing and inspirational!

Attachments

• 51NjRMR.jpg
    51NjRMR.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 419
Nothing crazy but here's my May 2015 & current. Happy to help answer any questions.

Attachments

• Before Current.jpg
    Before Current.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 411
sell4u said:
Nothing crazy but here's my May 2015 & current. Happy to help answer any questions.

Great job, so how'd you do it in 1 year? Give us your 5 best bullet points.

I always tell my patients you should never count your life in numbers because in the end it's the quality of life that matters. If you have terminal cancer would you rather spend 6 months lucid, traveling, laughing with loved ones and preparing your exit with dignity OR spend 12 months in and out of the hospital, vomiting/sick with the toxicities of chemo just to live those extra 6 months in misery? I see some amazing 90-100 year old patients active, independent and enjoying life. And then I see the 60 year old that looks 110 and living miserably.
Some key ways to get to an advanced age with a good quality of life boils down to
- not smoking
- being physically active and within a normal weight range
- diet of mostly unprocessed foods
- overall positive outlook on life - I think we underestimate this sense of happiness and content and how positively that affects ones overall health and well being. My grandma was one of those people, lived a great quality of life into her 90s. Her secret was daily meditation. Nothing bothered her. She was truly content with life. She is my inspiration.

Paris said:
Some key ways to get to an advanced age with a good quality of life boils down to
- not smoking
- overall positive outlook on life - I think we underestimate this sense of happiness and content and how positively that affects ones overall health and well being. My grandma was one of those people, lived a great quality of life into her 90s. Her secret was daily meditation. Nothing bothered her. She was truly content with life. She is my inspiration.

Good Advice.  Meditation?  I thought Asians don't meditate, particularly your grandmas generation. 

Irvine Dream said:
Paris said:
- not smoking

Good Advice.  Meditation?  I thought Asians don't meditate, particularly your grandmas generation.

We're Buddhist so it's a way of life. I just always brushed it off when I was growing up but realize now how re-energizing and vital it is to my overall well being

Paris said:
sell4u said:

Great job, so how'd you do it in 1 year? Give us your 5 best bullet points.

I always tell my patients you should never count your life in numbers because in the end it's the quality of life that matters. If you have terminal cancer would you rather spend 6 months lucid, traveling, laughing with loved ones and preparing your exit with dignity OR spend 12 months in and out of the hospital, vomiting/sick with the toxicities of chemo just to live those extra 6 months in misery? I see some amazing 90-100 year old patients active, independent and enjoying life. And then I see the 60 year old that looks 110 and living miserably.
- not smoking

#1. Being happy with your self & having a positive attitude. Try and not let outside forces influence you.
#2. Learning from your mistakes.  What works, what doesn't.  Accepting the fact you may not get to your "goal" the 1st time or even the 6th time.
#3. Consistency
#4. Having an understanding of what exactly it's going to take to get to your goals. (i.e. macronutrients, caloric intake, training, cardio, etc...)
#5. Breath, relax, and take one day at a time.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your kind words! Means a lot to me.

I literally just read this comment on Facebook a few minutes ago and it really stood out to me. Not sure if that's because this man is going through this or because he had the gall to type it out and admit it on a public page. Don't be this guy.

"i'm skinny with a pot belly and man boobs.my diet is sugar, salt and fat.i'm a 45 year old virgin.it's all diet and exercise and i'm lazy."

Hello everyone,

Here is an update on my progress so far. I am 5'8" inches tall and a medium framed Asian American male. I had set a goal to achieve my ideal weight of 151 by my 40th birthday on November 17th, 2016. I weighed 185 lbs as of January 4th, 2016. Just a little background, last time I weighed 157lb was my sophomore year in college. During my junior and senior year, I attended the business school at University of Michigan as a finance major. The environment was very competitive and I had to really study hard. Stress, eating ramen noodles at night, and not working out as much, I ballooned up to 175 by the end of my senior year. Most of my 20s and 30s (young adult years) I weighed between 180 - 190lbs ( 193lbs was my peak in 2015). Sometimes one needs a kick in the butt in order to make a dramatic change in their lifestyle.

In January 2016, I had my regular check up with my doctor and he told me that my LDL cholesterol was very high, blood sugar was high and I was at risk of stage 1 diabetes if I continued to path I was on. I knew that my father also had high cholesterol, blood sugar, and diabetes when he passed away at the young age of 65. I know that I want to live a lot longer that 25 more years to see my grand children grow up and travel the world with my wife. This was the moment when I knew that I needed to make an intentional change in my health and weight in 2016.

As my 40th birthday is only 5 days away, I don't think I will hit my target goal of 151lbs, but I do feel very good that I was able to reach my sophomore year weight in 20 years. I am by no means a health expert nor am I qualified in any way to give health advice, but if any of you guys want to ask me what I did to make the change, I would be more than happy to share with you. Just PM me.

I think controlling your diet is about 70% and the other 30 % is exercise and I lost the weight naturally by eating right and regular exercise.

Warm Regards,
Panda

panda_weight.jpg

Thank you Eyephone,

I just now have to maintain my current weight for the next 20 years. :)

I am big believer of setting goals whether it be your net worth goals, business and investment goals, spiritual goals, emotional goals, health and weight goals, family and relationship goals. 2016 was the year for Panda to get back in shape. 2017 is the year where I will focus on my goals in the area of business, net worth, family, spiritual, and investment goals. I am really excited about launching my macro hedge fund in 2017 and growing my Real Estate business right when I turn 40.

I feel the best years are ahead of me, not behind me. I am SUPER excited about turning 40. :)

Panda

eyephone said:
Good job Panda. That's good that you are taking care of your health.

Congratulations Panda. Though you must have seriously upped your game or taken some steroids the week between 4/4 and 4/11. You went from 5% to 37% muscle in 1 week. :)

Iacrenter,
The column for muscle was originally my A1C (blood sugar level). It was at 5.7% at the beginning of the year when I had my annual check up with Dr. Kim. A1C at 5.7% is in the early stages of prediabetes. Yikes!!!! Yes this information from Dr Kim put some serious fire under my butt to make a lifestyle change.  Hopefully my A1C % is a lot lower than 5.7% today.

I changed that column to muscle % since Ms Panda bought a new weight machine which measures the % of muscles as of late September.

The dates, weight, and fat% number are accurate. I only started to track my muscle percentage for about 6 weeks.

iacrenter said:
Congratulations Panda. Though you must have seriously upped your game or taken some steroids the week between 4/4 and 4/11. You went from 5% to 37% muscle in 1 week. :)

45 weeks to drop less than 30 lbs is pretty lame to be honest. A more dedicated and disciplined person should be able to do 1 to 2 lbs per week, while maintaining a healthy life style.

The California Court Company said:
45 weeks to drop less than 30 lbs is pretty lame to be honest. A more dedicated and disciplined person should be able to do 1 to 2 lbs per week, while maintaining a healthy life style.

Not everybody is the same.

Back