Stock picks

jmoney74 said:
Good day to put money in the ^VIX?

Yup, I added on Tuesday (selling VIX calls) with all my remaining margin in the morning and then sold a boatload of VIX call options that expire next week on Wednesday since it'll be a slow week an 3-day weekend. 

Liar Loan said:
paydawg said:
paperboyNC said:
My investment accounts are 80% cash right now. I also sold 80% in 2007 and got back in 2011. Not sure if I'll be right again. So far I'm wrong.

Now is probably a good time to start switching to cash.  Market has been HOT!

Way too early.  The yield curve isn't even close to going negative, meaning no recession is on the horizon. 
https://www.crystalbull.com/stock-market-timing/Yield-Curve-chart/

Yesterday, 2Q GDP was revised up to 3% and 3Q GDP is predicted to be between 3-4%.

Yup, we will continue to grind higher....not straight up.  The job market is very strong and my clients tell me that they are doing well.

aquabliss said:
J$ just so it's clear, USC's position is not long VIX, so hope you didn't buy any.

I didn't but with the tax bill and spending bill upcoming, I'm assuming some volatility.

aquabliss said:
J$ just so it's clear, USC's position is not long VIX, so hope you didn't buy any.

Correct, I mostly sell VIX calls and some VIX puts as straddles and strangles.  If someone does buy VIX calls waiting for a VIX spike, close the position quickly as the spikes don't last for long.  People buying VIX calls and/or VXX for longer than a few days have lost money.  I pretty much bank on when times are calm and will give some profits back on spikes but then make multiples of my losses back on gains as the VIX falls back down again.  Again, the trading that I do is not for the faint of heart or wallet...big ups and big downs sometimes.  Wash, rinse, and repeat.

USCTrojanCPA said:
jmoney74 said:

Yup, I added on Tuesday (selling VIX calls) with all my remaining margin in the morning and then sold a boatload of VIX call options that expire next week on Wednesday since it'll be a slow week an 3-day weekend. 

Ouch... :(

I bet you're really happy with North Korea this morning.

aquabliss said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
jmoney74 said:

Ouch... :(

I bet you're really happy with North Korea this morning.

Sold $13 through $21 VIX calls last week that expire tomorrow...not really concerned.  Key is to always trade with room for error.  I won't allows book gains and the goal is to accumulate more profits to absorb any losses.  The higher that the VIX goes the more premium higher and higher calls.

If BAC dips below $23.. going to take a short term bet on it.

Wow Restoration  Hardware is  up big time today.  Should have bought some after I attended the Irvine Warehouse Sale and watched people claw there way over each other to buy thousands of dollars worth of stained and damaged furniture.  Some of which  I purchased myself.

morekaos said:
Maybe $145...200 day moving average.

Targeting BABA, AMZN, and Apple right now.  Might buy some options if there is another sell of day this week.

Back