Santa Maria in Stonegate

anth.trinh said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
anth.trinh said:
Hey guys im new to this forum.  My parents are looking to buy a house here in Santa Maria.

About 90% sure.  This forum has been very helpful!
Have they looked at any other new home developments? Why do they like Santa Maria?  Anyhow, make sure they take their agent with them so they can split the broker co-op...no sense in leaving money on the table for TIC.  I wouldn't rush in buying, hang back and see how sales go.  If they are slow, they may throw incentives to spur sales.

We haven't really looked around else where, where do you recommend looking at?
They want to lock in now because my father wants a certain orientation of the windows for the sun light.

the house won't be up for purchase till December and won't be done till May.  This is phase 3
How about Santa Clara?  Or the resale condos in Woodbury? 

USCTrojanCPA said:
anth.trinh said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
anth.trinh said:
Hey guys im new to this forum.  My parents are looking to buy a house here in Santa Maria.

About 90% sure.  This forum has been very helpful!
Have they looked at any other new home developments? Why do they like Santa Maria?  Anyhow, make sure they take their agent with them so they can split the broker co-op...no sense in leaving money on the table for TIC.  I wouldn't rush in buying, hang back and see how sales go.  If they are slow, they may throw incentives to spur sales.

They want to lock in now because my father wants a certain orientation of the windows for the sun light.

the house won't be up for purchase till December and won't be done till May.  This is phase 3
How about Santa Clara?  Or the resale condos in Woodbury? 

We looked into Santa Clara.  Residence 2 was very nice.  Very similar to Residence 1 at Santa Maria.  But Santa Maria had an extra den, which we figured was worth the money.

anth.trinh said:

Have you looked at Mirabella?  It's not in swanky Irvine and doesn't have beige stucco but it costs less and has a 4 bed plan.

test said:
anth.trinh said:

Have you looked at Mirabella?  It's not in swanky Irvine and doesn't have beige stucco but it costs less and has a 4 bed plan.

If people think MR and HOA are crazy in Santa Maria, Mirabella is far worse...especially for TUSD and contaminated soil.

The Motor Court Company said:
test said:
anth.trinh said:

If people think MR and HOA are crazy in Santa Maria, Mirabella is far worse...especially for TUSD and contaminated soil.

The MR for plan 1 is $3,136/year.  Cheaper than Santa Maria.

Soil disclosure states soil on OTHER parts of the base were used for farming.  Nowhere does it state THAT soil or the soil the homes are built on is "contaminated" with anything.

TUSD - just look at that other thread.

I don't know who you're getting your information from, but you should fire him.

test said:
test said:
anth.trinh said:

The MR for plan 1 is $3,136/year.  Cheaper than Santa Maria.

Soil disclosure states soil on OTHER parts of the base were used for farming.  Nowhere does it state THAT soil or the soil the homes are built on is "contaminated" with anything.

TUSD - just look at that other thread.

I don't know who you're getting your information from, but you should fire him.

test, the salesperson said it was $5,400 or so MR for Plan 1. 

From Irvine Pacific's thank you e-mail blast:

"We appreciate you taking the time to visit us here at Santa Maria for our apartment event. We hope you enjoying viewing our models!
We had our Grand Opening this weekend and have already sold THREE homes with several other potential buyers starting the purchase process. We would love to answer any of your questions and also have you come back through our community!"

iphb said:

"We appreciate you taking the time to visit us here at Santa Maria for our apartment event. We hope you enjoying viewing our models!
We had our Grand Opening this weekend and have already sold THREE homes with several other potential buyers starting the purchase process. We would love to answer any of your questions and also have you come back through our community!"

what's the apartment event? do they internally see Santa Maria as apartment like units?
"with several other potential buyers starting the purchase process" means nothing but people sign up for the priority list, presumably waiting for better lots (i.e. the 3-plex or 5-plex instead of phase 1's 6-plex)

iphb said:

what's the apartment event? do they internally see Santa Maria as apartment like units?
"with several other potential buyers starting the purchase process" means nothing but people sign up for the priority list, presumably waiting for better lots (i.e. the 3-plex or 5-plex instead of phase 1's 6-plex)

If you live in an IAC (TIC) apt community, then you got an e-mail inviting you to a "special" preview showing of Santa Maria prior to the grand opening day.

iphb said:

What is so bad about their decision?  My parents are just about to buy.

anth.trinh said:
iphb said:

What is so bad about their decision?  My parents are just about to buy.

Going notion is you'll lose money on buying a place.  Depends on situation, there are some good reasons to buy.  A growing family, moving to a new area for a job, stuff like those are good reasons to buy.  Purely from a money perspective, if you buy now you'll likely lose money on a place as it devalues over the next few years.  On the other hand, you side your parents are doing this.  If they have a home in Irvine and are selling it move into a smaller, less expensive place, that's probably a good idea.  They can get some money on the higher valued home now that they would have lost a percentage of if they kept the home in a declining market.  Though, that might just be my opinion.

anth.trinh have you looked at other places since?  If not, I would suggest looking at more places.  I'm in the market to purchase a house as well and was pre-invited to see the models the weekend before they officially opened.  I went with high hopes and was very disappointed with their layout.  People have different needs and I don't know what your parents are looking for, but my husband and I are looking for a house to start a family in and Santa Maria just wasn't functional for us.  Are your parents looking for a three bedroom? school district? location preference?  it would be easier to narrow down for suggestions if you provided more information on what you are looking for.

On a second note, my husband and I are really liked Ironwood, any thoughts?  I've read some threads about Ironwood having a very high HOA, so last weekend we went to go visit and they told me that the HOA is $353 at build out.  To me that seems pretty comparable.  Just wondering why its not as popular. 

workdork said:
anth.trinh have you looked at other places since?  If not, I would suggest looking at more places.  I'm in the market to purchase a house as well and was pre-invited to see the models the weekend before they officially opened.  I went with high hopes and was very disappointed with their layout.  People have different needs and I don't know what your parents are looking for, but my husband and I are looking for a house to start a family in and Santa Maria just wasn't functional for us.  Are your parents looking for a three bedroom? school district? location preference?  it would be easier to narrow down for suggestions if you provided more information on what you are looking for.

On a second note, my husband and I are really liked Ironwood, any thoughts?  I've read some threads about Ironwood having a very high HOA, so last weekend we went to go visit and they told me that the HOA is $353 at build out.  To me that seems pretty comparable.  Just wondering why its not as popular. 
One of the reasons is because KB has not known to be a good quality builder.  Did you guys also look at Cesaro, Sevilla, and/or Las Ventanas?

USCTrojanCPA said:
workdork said:

One of the reasons is because KB has not known to be a good quality builder.  Did you guys also look at Cesaro, Sevilla, and/or Las Ventanas?

I'll definitely take a look at Iron wood and the others.  Thanks for the suggestions last weekend was our first weekend looking around for houses.  I just completely fell in love in Santa Maria.

My parents have four siblings.  Three of us by moved out by Spring - Summer ish.
I moved out three years ago for school at UCR
Sister is moving out September for UCLA
Brother is enlisting in July

Just the last little one is still in HS for two more years.

After that my parents are free.  Right now we live in huntington beach in a seven bedroom.
HOA is 30 bucks a month.
Parents want to downsize and live in something that makes more sense.

The Santa Maria house we want wont be done till May ( Phase 3) which will be fine.  Sister & brother can share rooms until they move out or couch bum it for the mean while.

Is there a reason why your parents want to move to Irvine?

Do they plan to send the last little one to an Ivy League school... because I've been told that the chances are very small if you go to an Irvine high school.

(that's one of my inter-thread reference jokes)

anth.trinh:

I think schools are not a concern for your parents. I would actually recommend Esplanade at Woodbury over Santa Maria. I believe plan 2 (if still available) will blow them away. Woodbury got more amenities (pocket parks and pools) than Stonegate and is more walkable to Woodbury Town Center.

anth.trinh:

I think schools are not a concern for your parents. I would actually recommend Esplanade at Woodbury over Santa Maria. I believe plan 2 (if still available) will blow them away. Woodbury got more amenities (pocket parks and pools) than Stonegate and is more walkable to Woodbury Town Center.
Plus they can probably negotiate a better deal with Taylor Morission where as Irvine Pacific won't budge.

USCTrojanCPA said:
workdork said:

What USC said.  Also the KB sales people can be hit or miss, and I think they are more on the miss side at Ironwood.  Also if you follow their sales, they aren't doing so great.  They are attached and most Irviners want detached, attached also carries some other negatives that most aren't aware of (like being unable to qual for a loan for attached if any unit in the development is currently in certain legal matters).

Nous said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
workdork said:

What USC said.  Also the KB sales people can be hit or miss, and I think they are more on the miss side at Ironwood.  Also if you follow their sales, they aren't doing so great.  They are attached and most Irviners want detached, attached also carries some other negatives that most aren't aware of (like being unable to qual for a loan for attached if any unit in the development is currently in certain legal matters).

I recall reading somewhere that KB homes "age" faster than the products from other builders http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=1548.0

Back