How BAD is KB home as a builder?

FTHB

Could someone please enlighten me?  Why so many people saying KB Home is not good?  Is it the material they used?  How bad could it be?  Please, please......

FTHB said:
Could someone please enlighten me?  Why so many people saying KB Home is not good?  Is it the material they used?  How bad could it be?  Please, please......

In history, has KB home ever built in Irvine?  Which neighbourhood?  Are they standing out as "poorly built" compared to other houses in the same neighbourhood?

bones said:
KB also built Bougainvillea in PS (didn't see it on the above site).
We have seen several Bougainvillea resales (built around 2007/2008) in the past and they all showed really old compared to Taylor Morrison resales in the same neighborhood built around the same time.  I would recommend going to see some KB resales if you can because the model homes probably illustrate their "best work".

Last year, as a less-informed first-time home buyer, we actually put an offer on this house when it was under short salehttp://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/61-Cienega-92618/home/12255216
Looking back, I feel lucky I did not budge on the price. 

bones said:
so you obviously liked the house enough to put in an offer and would be willing to own it at the right price.  I'm not sure if you want someone to talk you INTO or OUT of a KB home.

That is one of the first few houses we looked at, and we have no concept of the build quality.  Even now, I could not tell the build quality difference between a KB model home and Casero model home.  But, it seems these kinda problems only emerge after the occupancy.  Guess only after we lived in a house long enough, can we have a keen eye on this.  What I can do now is do more research on the builder's reputation and look at the owner's reviews/complaints.

We are planning buy Ironwood in Portola Springs. We negotiated with them and intends to buy, if they accept our offer with some incentives. The per sqft price works out about $250. Is this good price for an attached product in portola springs by KB Home?

tamilraj2003 said:
  We are planning buy Ironwood in Portola Springs. We negotiated with them and intends to buy, if they accept our offer with some incentives. The per sqft price works out about $250. Is this good price for an attached product in portola springs by KB Home?

$250/sqft is really good, i don't think anything in the 2010 or 2011 collection comes close to that.  please let us know if they accept.

Did you see my other posting about ironwood, they have so many negative points, and also not many people are interested to buy their product, unlike their coronado product, thats what I am really worried about, and want to make sure not buying something would be a hard sell during resale.

Well, they did not take the offer. I decided to skip them. Looks like they prefer their product hang out there with out a buyer than make any sensible pricing. Good luck with that!!! :)

tamilraj2003 said:
Well, they did not take the offer. I decided to skip them. Looks like they prefer their product hang out there with out a buyer than make any sensible pricing. Good luck with that!!! :)

Were there any room for negotiations or were they just firm?

Just wait, they may lower the selling price without a buyer

tamilraj2003 said:

tamilraj2003 said:

Kard-Board Homes have about 1.3 Billion dollars in cash.  I think they can wait it out a bit.  ;)

Noma said:
Kard-Board Homes have about 1.3 Billion dollars in cash.  I think they can wait it out a bit.  ;)

Correction. 1 Billion cash, 100 million investments with 1.8 Billion long terms debt and 700 million Accounts Payable. The Balance sheet is not as good as you are making it out to be. They need to continue their cash flow to service their debt.

Noma said:
tamilraj2003 said:

they can wait it out a bit but it they have to balance it out with not chasing the market down, not to mention they need that 1.3 billion to pay their 2.5 billion in current liabilities ;-) . there are a lot of headwinds for real estate in the next year or two, so what is the point of waiting it out to get a lower price a year down the road while servicing their debt the whole time

Noma said:
tamilraj2003 said:

This is about as wrong as someone can get on the internet.

IndieDev said:
Noma said:
tamilraj2003 said:

This is about as wrong as someone can get on the internet.

Is this about the comment made by me :)? or the 1.3B balance number?

rickr said:
Noma said:

Correction. 1 Billion cash, 100 million investments with 1.8 Billion long terms debt and 700 million Accounts Payable. The Balance sheet is not as good as you are making it out to be. They need to continue their cash flow to service their debt.

Not according to their latest 10k balance sheet.  Plus you failed to mention they almost have 1.6 billion in inventory and 126 million in receivables.

I think they will be fine. 

Back