San Mateo Phase 2++ @ Stonegate

Irvinecommuter said:
The Motor Court Company said:
Is San Mateo the new normal? it looks like it outsells the sister product Sienna by quite a lot. I mean starter detached homes with tiny backyard and no driveways?

Do Asian people shy away from Sienna because it is too close to the 405 that they mistakenly think it is for low income housing?

irvine123searching said:
Phrase 10 was released.

I don't know about other people but I don't care for Sienna because

1)  LA is too isolated for me.  Not really near anything.  Stonegate is next Woodbury, a couple of street up from Culver/Jamboree.

2)  There is no conservatory build out option at Sienna...That's is big minus for me.  Extra 200 Sq feet at $14,500...double that when you sell.

I agree, LA is too isolated, it's good if you want to dine in Laguna Beach each night but not practical if you want your kids to walk to school and need the grocery store to be nearby. Also....they only have one pool for all those homes. A whopping $300 HOA with only one pool and no nearby shopping center? (Quail Hill shopping center is too far to be convenient).  Not a good deal.

The only thing driving LA sales is the price and availability compared to Quail Hill.

There are very little (if any) SFRs there below $1m and not many larger detached condos from $600k to $700k.

The $300 HOA is not worth the lack of amenities... and while the overall location is okay... the proximity to school/shopping is doo-doo.

to be fair, in another thread, there is some comparison between LA and SG in terms to distance to major places (Costco, Target, 85 degree...etc) and LA can come out ahead depending on your life style. But certainly grocery stores and walkability to schools have high priority because you do these the most often.

For the swimming pool, LA has 600 total units for 1 pool. SG at build out (the max limit is 3100, 700~1000 of them being apartments, I had the exact numbers at home) so that means about 600 or less units for each pool (4 pools). So in that sense it is quite comparable. Unit to pool ratio LR is the best and Woodbury is not too bad, although apartment dwellers in WB can also access the pools.

My biggest gripe for the two LA pocket parks is the lack of rest rooms and ample parking space. Sienna and San Remo owners are already at far distance to these parks and there are no rest rooms and parking! Imagine you have 4 little potty trained kids and every time you bring them to these parks, if any one of them needs to potty you have to bring the whole gang with you and walk home!

It is like TIC giving a big middle finger to these owners that not only they pay more than SG counter parts, but also have very limited access to parks.  these units also serve as the noise and pollutant buffer for the two wealthier neighborhoods. Most Asians owners are smart and see this through and no wonder these are slow selling.

bella said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Is San Mateo the new normal? it looks like it outsells the sister product Sienna by quite a lot. I mean starter detached homes with tiny backyard and no driveways?

Do Asian people shy away from Sienna because it is too close to the 405 that they mistakenly think it is for low income housing?

irvine123searching said:
Phrase 10 was released.

I don't know about other people but I don't care for Sienna because

1)  LA is too isolated for me.  Not really near anything.  Stonegate is next Woodbury, a couple of street up from Culver/Jamboree.

2)  There is no conservatory build out option at Sienna...That's is big minus for me.  Extra 200 Sq feet at $14,500...double that when you sell.

I agree, LA is too isolated, it's good if you want to dine in Laguna Beach each night but not practical if you want your kids to walk to school and need the grocery store to be nearby. Also....they only have one pool for all those homes. A whopping $300 HOA with only one pool and no nearby shopping center? (Quail Hill shopping center is too far to be convenient).  Not a good deal.

snut100 said:
I guess she cannot count.  Next appointment is on a Thursday some time next month.  So far she hasn't done JACK except put in options that we want.  I could have done it online and save a bunch of time.

Any update on what options did you pick and the price for the options?

Sorry to get off topic here. Is anyone buying at Stonegate using PenFed? I know you can't take advantage of their $0 closing cost with 5/5 ARM because IP requires using First American. However, PenFed's 30-year fixed has pretty decent rates and charges close to nothing for themselves (you would still pay First American and government). Not sure if PenFed has any experience dealing with IP though.

Michigan said:
Sorry to get off topic here. Is anyone buying at Stonegate using PenFed? I know you can't take advantage of their $0 closing cost with 5/5 ARM because IP requires using First American. However, PenFed's 30-year fixed has pretty decent rates and charges close to nothing for themselves (you would still pay First American and government). Not sure if PenFed has any experience dealing with IP though.
Or use another lender with a big lender credit (sell up the rate) and then refi into the 5/5 ARM by PenFed.

irvine123searching said:
snut100 said:
I guess she cannot count.  Next appointment is on a Thursday some time next month.  So far she hasn't done JACK except put in options that we want.  I could have done it online and save a bunch of time.

Any update on what options did you pick and the price for the options?

Sorry, have been very busy at work.  Also took on a second job of inspecting my house at intervals.  You have to be very pushy and demanding if you spot a defect.  Don't be gun shy.  If you see something that you don't like, raise hell.

"Don't worry we will do a quality inspection."

That's a lie.  More like, "we hope you don't notice because we will cover everything up so you can't see it.  Stage 4 came and went really quick.

1.  Bath 2 = give me the standard marble countertop with 4" splash, $0.00

2.  Kitchen Countertop = I will take the standard countertop in Verde Butterfly.  Includes a slab behind the stove.  I asked them if I can opt out of getting this because I don't think it looks right.  The answer is no, $0.00

3.  Master bath = give me the standard marble countertop with 4" splash, $0.00

4.  Master shower = I will just take the standard marble, $0.00

5.  Sink = Give me the standard double sink with standard faucet, $0.00

ZERO!  ZERO!  ZERO!  My best appointment yet.

TV Media Center.  I went in my place and another residence 2 in the same motor court.  What one will you get?  Nobody knows!

Attachments

• residence 2a.jpg
    residence 2a.jpg
    933.9 KB · Views: 396
  • residence 2b.jpg
    residence 2b.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 387
snut100 said:
Sorry, have been very busy at work.  Also took on a second job of inspecting my house at intervals.  You have to be very pushy and demanding if you spot a defect.  Don't be gun shy.  If you see something that you don't like, raise hell.

That's a lie.  More like, "we hope you don't notice because we will cover everything up so you can't see it.  Stage 4 came and went really quick.

Who did you talk to when you saw something was wrong?
Did you do the pre-dry wall inspection? Do they allow you to do that?

irvine123searching said:
snut100 said:

Who did you talk to when you saw something was wrong?
Did you do the pre-dry wall inspection? Do they allow you to do that?

You talk to your friendly sales person in the sales office about any issues.  It helps if you have a picture of the issue.  They will relay it to the Construction Supervisor.  You are given the chance to do a structural tour with one of the Construction Supervisors before the dry wall is put in.  Very helpful in my opinion.

Keep in mind that you are always welcome to look at your house anytime.  You just have to check with the Sales Office and pick up a HARD HAT.  Don't wear open toe shoes.  Work Boots and tennis shoes work the best.  Sunday mornings seem to be the best because if you visit while the workers are there, they stop working.  Also much cooler in the morning.

Bring some sanitizer to clean the hat.  I do see some of my neighbors going there too on Sunday mornings without a hard hat.  I would not recommend that.  It's a construction site until the house is done.  Things can fall on your head or you can trip.  Not worth it. 

Beware if your are picking a house on the street side.  It doesn't cost extra in San Mateo but side of your house is clipped a bit short to make some room for the Association's landscaping.  If you care about maximizing the space on the side of your house, choose the 2nd and 3rd houses inside the Motor Court.  I found out today by looking at 4 houses being built on Diamond.

At first I thought I was getting ripped off but I went to the Phase 1 San Mateo and it's consistent with the design.  Shame on me for not expecting the worse... :'( :'( :'(

Not a deal breaker for me but I wished they told me this.  In case of fire, make sure you escape through the correct side of your house.  One leads to a door.  The other leads to a concrete wall.

Also stopped by the Sales Office today and San Mateo is selling like hotcakes, they are really cranking these suckers out.  Some people who looked at the place on Saturday came back today to buy it, GONE!  They had 6 homes for sale yesterday.  Only one left today.  They have to wait for the next phase.

lilgophee said:
Beware if your are picking a house on the street side.  It doesn't cost extra in San Mateo but side of your house is clipped a bit short to make some room for the Association's landscaping.  If you care about maximizing the space on the side of your house, choose the 2nd and 3rd houses inside the Motor Court.  I found out today by looking at 4 houses being built on Diamond.

At first I thought I was getting ripped off but I went to the Phase 1 San Mateo and it's consistent with the design.  Shame on me for not expecting the worse... :'( :'( :'(

Not a deal breaker for me but I wished they told me this.  In case of fire, make sure you escape through the correct side of your house.  One leads to a door.  The other leads to a concrete wall.

Also stopped by the Sales Office today and San Mateo is selling like hotcakes, they are really cranking these suckers out.  Some people who looked at the place on Saturday came back today to buy it, GONE!  They had 6 homes for sale yesterday.  Only one left today.  They have to wait for the next phase.
They are the entry level detached new/newer home in Irvine so there's no surprise they are selling fast (coupled with the lack of inventory too).

Looks like most of us like to visit our San Mateo 2 home site on Sunday morning.
I went there yesterday, even though my home site is just cement now but still excited to see it.
Richard also bought us to the home that are almost ready, glad that I took the conservatory option as that area will be a good space for my 2 young kids to play at.

We should do a TI - San Mateo 2 homesite inspection group every Sunday morning to share information.

there is a whisper in the air that SM III is to come out. The Village of Stonegate should be renamed to the Village of Starter Homes.

javacly said:
Looks like most of us like to visit our San Mateo 2 home site on Sunday morning.
I went there yesterday, even though my home site is just cement now but still excited to see it.
Richard also bought us to the home that are almost ready, glad that I took the conservatory option as that area will be a good space for my 2 young kids to play at.

We should do a TI - San Mateo 2 homesite inspection group every Sunday morning to share information.

there is a whisper in the air that SM III is to come out. The Village of Stonegate should be renamed to the Village of Starter Homes.

javacly said:

That's their best selling development so why not rise and repeat (with higher prices, of course).  Maybe they'll rename Stonegate to San Mateogate. 

If TIC ever build SM III, do it next to Saratoga, so that it blocks santa ana wind for Maricopa.
Higher density housing makes good wind shield.

Finally was able to do the final walk through inspection this week.  It was more of a find the scratches, dents, and half-a$$ed workmanship.  After I was done, the walls looked like the football helmets you see on college teams. >:D >:D

The cabinet doors were installed wrong.  Crooked.

"Don't worry, you have one-year warranty."

Since I been back and forth this place in the summer, I wonder if it's worth my time to do a home inspection.  The service received at the title company (First American Title) was non-existent.  You have to follow up with them with the wire instructions.  There is a slight change to them when they send you that packet in the mail.  (The one where you have the option of having your escrow funds earn interest)  Such a joke, they wanted $50 to set up the account. >:D >:D

Here is what a tankless water heater looks like.  This is your oven.  This is your dishwasher.  This is your hood in the kitchen.  Here is some extra paint under the sink.  We will paint the house and get it ready for you next week.  This concludes the inspection of your house.

WTF?

Irvine_Dreamer said:
If TIC ever build SM III, do it next to Saratoga, so that it blocks santa ana wind for Maricopa.
Higher density housing makes good wind shield.

That might ruin my view of the dirt hill from the balcony of the secondary bedroom...I rather like that view as its the only thing between us and the landfill

Back