Retail Openings and Closures

Yushoken (ramen joint) will open in University Center soon.  Not sure if they're related to the Arcadia restaurant.  Don't venture to this part of Irvine much but might give it a try.  Here's the yelp of the Arcadia joint with the same name:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ramen-yushoken-arcadia

Googling the name also showed up as a chain in the Philippines.. again not sure if related.  If I find some crispy pata in my bowl, then I'll know. :)

irvinehomeshopper said:
Food cost 20% more from Bruxie and Habit in Irvine due to higher rent and overhead. Asian chains are 40% more compared to SGV.

Haven't compared prices directly but prices in SGV are getting pretty high as well.  It used to be about $2 a dish more...now we're closer to $1 more per dish.

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Food cost 20% more from Bruxie and Habit in Irvine due to higher rent and overhead. Asian chains are 40% more compared to SGV.

Haven't compared prices directly but prices in SGV are getting pretty high as well.  It used to be about $2 a dish more...now we're closer to $1 more per dish.

With the success of Yelp and people starting to venture out to find good food, when they know they got a good product they will up their price.

Tyler Durden said:
I don't know - i wouldn't drive more than 15 min to get anything to eat.  And then its only because someone is visiting that wanted something specific.

For the $2 savings at those cheeper spots, you just spent $4 in gas to get there.

Five Crowns doesn't serve the creamed corn and I was appalled.  So I drove all the way to Beverly hills to get Lawrys.  And it was worth every mile.  Besides that, LA has a lot of good eats you just won't find in OC.  Before the little ones, I use to go to LA to eat on the weekends.  45 minutes to an hour to have an amazing meal was worth it to me.

broda said:
Tyler Durden said:
I don't know - i wouldn't drive more than 15 min to get anything to eat.  And then its only because someone is visiting that wanted something specific.

For the $2 savings at those cheeper spots, you just spent $4 in gas to get there.

Five Crowns doesn't serve the creamed corn and I was appalled.  So I drove all the way to Beverly hills to get Lawrys.  And it was worth every mile.  Besides that, LA has a lot of good eats you just won't find in OC.  Before the little ones, I use to go to LA to eat on the weekends.  45 minutes to an hour to have an amazing meal was worth it to me.

There are excellent restaurant in OC.  I mean, there is a Lawry's near South Coast and Maestro's, Ruth Chris, and Fleming's are all excellent.  As for hole in the wall places, there are plenty of those in OC, just not in Irvine.

do they have waffle sliders in OC?

5638558246_2984eaff31.jpg

I don't disagree that OC has good spots, just going to Tyler's argument of traveling for food spending more on gas to get there.  I sometimes feel it's well worth the travels and often times better than anything I can find in OC. 

Good food is trickling into Irvine,  but I find myself going to Costa Mesa, Newport, Orange, etc etc for the better selection of food in OC.

Tyler Durden said:
I like the smaller local joints.  I travel too much to force myself to eat chain restaurant food when i don't have to.  And yes - when you travel to some places, the only late night options are Applebees, iHop, Denny's or Chili's.

I love Denny's. What's not to like about a place that serves breakfast all day. :)

broda said:
I don't disagree that OC has good spots, just going to Tyler's argument of traveling for food spending more on gas to get there.  I sometimes feel it's well worth the travels and often times better than anything I can find in OC. 

Good food is trickling into Irvine,  but I find myself going to Costa Mesa, Newport, Orange, etc etc for the better selection of food in OC.

Sure but that's really no different than if you live in LA...in fact it's more of a pain in LA to travel across town to get to a restaurant.  At least accessibility is much better in OC than LA.

I'd say OC is as bad as LA given the time of day.  Have you tried to go up the 5 or 405 at 5:00PM?  Took me 1.5 hours once to get to Anaheim from Irvine.  Getting to Fountain Valley was a pain too.  LA during non peak ours yes would be more crowded than OC but I wouldn't say it's difficult to get across. 

broda said:
I'd say OC is as bad as LA given the time of day.  Have you tried to go up the 5 or 405 at 5:00PM?  Took me 1.5 hours once to get to Anaheim from Irvine.  Getting to Fountain Valley was a pain too.  LA during non peak ours yes would be more crowded than OC but I wouldn't say it's difficult to get across.

Yes...traffic is bad everywhere during rush hour.  However, I generally don't go out to eat around that time.  On weekends, it's a breeze to get around OC.  LA on the other hand has terrible freeway coverage...a lot of places are nowhere near a freeway.

SoCal said:
Tyler Durden said:
I like the smaller local joints.  I travel too much to force myself to eat chain restaurant food when i don't have to.  And yes - when you travel to some places, the only late night options are Applebees, iHop, Denny's or Chili's.

I love Denny's. What's not to like about a place that serves breakfast all day. :)

They serve beers now too...who needs to go to a bar.

Tyler Durden said:
broda said:

During rush hr (going down sepulveda), it used to take about 45 min for me to go 5 miles on the westside - from the gym at 20th and ocean park in santa monica to my place on Sunset (adjacent to the getty). 
We don't want to talk about the 30 min wait to get a parking spot at Trader Joes... :mad:

I'll give my OC horror story.  I was trying to get from the Spectrum to Main and Jamboree to meet someone for dinner.  There were accidents on both the 405 and 5 and everyone and their mother tried to take local streets.  No matter which way I went it was jam packed.  Took me 1:15 to get across Irvine. 

With the population density growing, this nightmare might be more common than not.

Stop complaining.  This is called progress.  It could be worse.  There could be some kind of workable public transportation system that would allow the riff-raff to traverse freely through your perfectly pristine planned community.

Tyler Durden said:
Me said:
Stop complaining.  This is called progress.  It could be worse.  There could be some kind of workable public transportation system that would allow the riff-raff to traverse freely through your perfectly pristine planned community.

I hope you're meaning that in a sarcastic way.  :-X

It is a fallacy that mass transit increases crime along the route.  It actually increases property values in areas near (not next to) transit stations - because people value convenience in the commuting options.  Look at the property values in Pleasanton vs. Livermore (one has BART, one does not) or Clarendon vs. Reston (at the present, the Metro extension to Dulles is not complete).  For heavy rail, you could compare the values of Evanston or Naperville, IL to any of the suburbs further away from the commuter rail stations.

NIMBY folks always trot out that tired argument (e.g., folks in Marin county, San Mateo County, Beverly Hills, Tyson's corner) because they don't want the alignment near them.  Its the same reason that people try to make BS demands like a subway vs. cut and cover or elevated alignments.

You don't see folks in Oakland or Richmond getting on BART to rob people in Orinda or Walnut Creek.  You also don't see folks from the high crime areas from across the Anacostia in DC getting on the Metro to rob folks in Tyson's Corner.  Nor in LA will you see folks from stations in downtown get on LA Metro to rob folks in Culver City.  Likewise, folks are not jumping on the subway in the Bronx to start trouble in midtown Manhattan.

A little ironic isn't it that people prefer to murder and steal close to home?

paperboyNC said:
A little ironic isn't it that people prefer to murder and steal close to home?

That was one of the things I never understood about the LA riots.  Why did the looters go to K-town when they could have gone to Beverly Hills?

Back