Retail Openings and Closures

Had DonerG for dinner.  Got the Kabob mixed plate.  A little bit of chicken and beef.  $10 enough to feed my fam.  Thumbs up from my little one for the beef.  I liked the soft fluffy short grain rice which was surprising since it wasn't a Japanese nor Taiwanese place.  Coming back.  And yes I still don't like hummus.  Who likes armpit?

bones said:
ps9 said:
Ren Asian Bistro soft opened this past weekend.  Heard they were giving away free food.  Can't believe I missed free food.
https://www.facebook.com/RenAsianBistro
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ren-asian-bistro-irvine

Tried this place recently.  Its owned by one of the former owners of Tri Village (@ Cypress Village).  Food is decent and the owner was super nice.  I wasn't blown away but its a decent option if you live in the area.  Probably wouldn't travel far to try.  Hopefully they stay in business since that OH plaza needs more food options.

With orchard hills in 2014, they should have plenty of new business.  Any dishes you recommend?  The Kung pao looks decent.  Haven't had time to try them yet.

Tyler Durden said:
Lee's sandwiches closed next to UCI.

Chic Fil - A to replace it:
Whoah... really? I would think with all the FCBs that Lee's would be there forever.

I'm not really a CFA fan... they need a Tommy's or Wienerdude there.

irvinehomeowner said:
Tyler Durden said:
Lee's sandwiches closed next to UCI.

Chic Fil - A to replace it:
Whoah... really? I would think with all the FCBs that Lee's would be there forever.

I'm not really a CFA fan... they need a Tommy's or Wienerdude there.

I have never been a fan of Lee's.  They did well when they were basically the only Vietnamese sandwich choice outside of GG/Westminster but now that other drink/sandwiches places are popping up, Lee's is not good value.  Their sandwiches are basically 90% bread. 

CFA is also pretty expensive (and salty) but my daughter likes it and the service is pretty good.  This of course does not factor into the social issues relating to CFA.

I noticed more Asian employees at the chic fil a we frequent.  If they just use numbers like Carl's or get your name down, there should be no Ching Chong problems.

bones said:
ps9 said:
bones said:
ps9 said:
Ren Asian Bistro soft opened this past weekend.  Heard they were giving away free food.  Can't believe I missed free food.
https://www.facebook.com/RenAsianBistro
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ren-asian-bistro-irvine

Tried this place recently.  Its owned by one of the former owners of Tri Village (@ Cypress Village).  Food is decent and the owner was super nice.  I wasn't blown away but its a decent option if you live in the area.  Probably wouldn't travel far to try.  Hopefully they stay in business since that OH plaza needs more food options.

With orchard hills in 2014, they should have plenty of new business.  Any dishes you recommend?  The Kung pao looks decent.  Haven't had time to try them yet.

Yea - just hoping they make it to 2014!  I had the kung pao chicken and the sweet/sour prawn along with their chicken wings.  I spoke to the owner AFTER I ordered and apparently I didn't order their "specialities".  He rec'ed the basil leek sauce, their mushroom one as well as their crystal white sauce.  Chicken wings hit the spot.  My other half complained they were too garlic-y though.  He also rec'ed the rib appetizer.  Will probably try them again for take out next week for dinner.

Finally tried the food at Ren Asian Bistro.. ordered their Kung Pao Ckn.. not bad, not bad at all.  Decent when you're dead tired and just want something savory for dinner.  Price was around $11-12, portion was decent, enough for two for dinner and also for lunch the next day. 

An older asian dude waved hello at me from inside the kitchen thru the cutout.  cool.  must be the friendly owner. 

Can't wait to try the other dishes.  Pray to jesus/buddha/allah/tom cruise for a decent lo mein!

20% coupon at shopirvine:
http://www.shopneighborhoodcenters.com/coupons/getcoupon.aspx?ids=11595

Tyler Durden said:
ps9 said:
I noticed more Asian employees at the chic fil a we frequent.  If they just use numbers like Carl's or get your name down, there should be no Ching Chong problems.

LOL!!! he was referring to the founders' son anti gay stance.  Since that occurred last year, the company has backed off the words of that individual...

It's an interesting dilemma...CFA and Hobby Lobby are both started and run by very conservative Christians who believe and practice their faith (i.e. not open on Sundays).  But they do run national businesses that cater to a wide range of customers.  I guess that's what boycotts are for.

irvinehomeowner said:
In&Out stays open on Sundays.

Are they blasphemers? :)

I don't really have an opinion on the matter...but it is pretty gutsy for a restaurant and a retail store to decide on not opening on Sunday.  CFA for example would probably make a lot of money open on Sunday just for the post-church crowds.

bones said:
I know this isn't that new, but I finally tried Umami burger @ the camp recently and was disappointed.  $55 for 2 burgers, 2 sides and 2 non-alcoholic drinks.  Nothing wow-ed me.  The burger was only ok.  The sweet potato fries were tasteless.  Was I there on an off day?  Rather spend that $55 for two months of tolling on the 133.

I have had burgers of various price ranges and in the end, I can't justify paying more than $10-12  for a burger (fries included). 

Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
I know this isn't that new, but I finally tried Umami burger @ the camp recently and was disappointed.  $55 for 2 burgers, 2 sides and 2 non-alcoholic drinks.  Nothing wow-ed me.  The burger was only ok.  The sweet potato fries were tasteless.  Was I there on an off day?  Rather spend that $55 for two months of tolling on the 133.

I have had burgers of various price ranges and in the end, I can't justify paying more than $10-12  for a burger (fries included). 
Sure you can....at Slaters 50/50 (not that much more than $10-12 though).

Slaters is a much better burger vs Umami.  Umami is just plain overpriced and overrated.  Caters to the L.A. Hipster crowd, who gladly pay those prices for that kinda stuff. 

Back