Padova in Orchard Hills

CogNeuroSci said:
I will never do laminate or new-fangled vinyl until they stop looking like what the attached pic looks like! The attached pic is from a phase that will move-in soon, and I met the home builder floor contractor while he was working on the job. It always seems to look exactly like that no matter if it's grey or brown. Even wood-like porcelain tiles don't have that limitation.

im just trying to understand your post...how else is it supposed to look? Looks like wood...

trematix said:
CogNeuroSci said:
I will never do laminate or new-fangled vinyl until they stop looking like what the attached pic looks like! The attached pic is from a phase that will move-in soon, and I met the home builder floor contractor while he was working on the job. It always seems to look exactly like that no matter if it's grey or brown. Even wood-like porcelain tiles don't have that limitation.

im just trying to understand your post...how else is it supposed to look? Looks like wood...

Sorry about that, I did realize that I should have attached some counterexamples.

The first pic is from Rise at Great Park- Lennar- Adagio 2- model plan 1. Beautiful brown wood with yellow and orange undertones. The second pic is from Portola Springs- Cal Pac Homes- Celeste- model plan 4. Brown wood, rustic. BTW, that's how rustic is supposed to look. The third pic is from Cadence Park at Great Park- Richmond American- Cabaletta. Grey laminate-vinyl, and another example of that "mottled" fake rustic look that laminate-vinyl can't seem to avoid...yet. Notice that the Celeste plan 4 model home is engineered wood that has a natural mottled look that is, in a strange way, much smoother. It's this natural smoothness that laminate-vinyl technology can't yet emulate.

Attachments

• 20200519_160840_compress23.jpg
    20200519_160840_compress23.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 20200419_160652_compress44.jpg
    20200419_160652_compress44.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 214
  • 20200519_170408_compress9.jpg
    20200519_170408_compress9.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 204
CogNeuroSci said:
trematix said:
CogNeuroSci said:

Sorry about that, I did realize that I should have attached some counterexamples.

The first pic is from Rise at Great Park- Lennar- Adagio 2- model plan 1. Beautiful brown wood with yellow and orange undertones. The second pic is from Portola Springs- Cal Pac Homes- Celeste- model plan 4. Brown wood, rustic. BTW, that's how rustic is supposed to look. The third pic is from Cadence Park at Great Park- Richmond American- Cabaletta. Grey laminate-vinyl, and another example of that "mottled" fake rustic look that laminate-vinyl can't seem to avoid...yet. Notice that the Celeste plan 4 model home is engineered wood that has a natural mottled look that is, in a strange way, much smoother. It's this natural smoothness that laminate-vinyl technology can't yet emulate.

Gotcha! Yea i actually like the first one from Rise at Great Park. Resembles a european white oak.

Im just siting here horrified some of you weren't warned against putting wood flooring in the kitchen and wet areas.

Porcelain is great for wet area flooring.

As for me personally, my properties all either do solid wood or engineered wood. Theres no comparison with even the best vinyl or laminate.    Woods feel better on the feet, and looks better and rents out faster. The key is to get good installation. Have to follow the correct procedures letting the wood adjust to the room and then proper installation.

How do you guys think of the wood-like tile on the right hand side of this picture? Will it look nice in a 2,000 sqft contemporary-style open space?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 203
Might look ok but make sure you get 1/16 grout line and find an expert.  With wood tile, grout line size is critical.

Dr. CA Real Estate said:
Im just siting here horrified some of you weren't warned against putting wood flooring in the kitchen and wet areas.

As for me personally, my properties all either do solid wood or engineered wood. Theres no comparison with even the best vinyl or laminate.    Woods feel better on the feet, and looks better and rents out faster. The key is to get good installation. Have to follow the correct procedures letting the wood adjust to the room and then proper installation.

What's so bad about it?  I thought engineered wood is made to flex vs. traditional.  I bought a new build about 7 years ago and have engineered wood throughout the house, and even 2 little ones, the floors are still ok. 

Please shed some light, about to pick the flooring for my Padova plan.  Thanks!

CogNeuroSci said:
trematix said:
CogNeuroSci said:

What's the name of the wood from the first pic? Rise at Great Park

I spent weeks trying to find the brand and color name of the wood flooring of Plan 1 at Adagio 2, but I never figured it out! I should have just called the sales office, but I was afraid they'd hang up on me since I didn't buy Lennar.

They're 8" wide, not 7.44" or 7.5". Planks are semi-random lengths up to 6' or 7' (not sure which one). Both my wife and I loved it, and we tried to find a match, coming close but never perfect. I took a bunch of samples of Vandyck, Provenza New York Loft collection, and Gemwoods Mediterranean collection to compare.

Attachments

• 20200904_171610_compress56.jpg
    20200904_171610_compress56.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 20200803_153645_compress49.jpg
    20200803_153645_compress49.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 20200803_153700_compress84.jpg
    20200803_153700_compress84.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 20200904_172309_compress11.jpg
    20200904_172309_compress11.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 134
talkirvine said:
How do you guys think of the wood-like tile on the right hand side of this picture? Will it look nice in a 2,000 sqft contemporary-style open space?

The tile on the right looks awesome. Could you let us know the brand and color name? Is it 3D?

Chegg said:
Dr. CA Real Estate said:

What's so bad about it?  I thought engineered wood is made to flex vs. traditional.  I bought a new build about 7 years ago and have engineered wood throughout the house, and even 2 little ones, the floors are still ok. 

Please shed some light, about to pick the flooring for my Padova plan.  Thanks!

Water/moisture warps wood and reduces the time before it requires maintenance.

Many of the new engineered wood products are pretty impervious to water unless you have a flood or good amount of sitting water for a prolonged period.

I have Urban Floor engineered wood and my kids drag their wet feet out of the shower on it, it?s endured cat vomit (I?m sure it sat their hours in the night), and all cleans up and wipes off nicely with no issues.

aquabliss said:
Many of the new engineered wood products are pretty impervious to water unless you have a flood or good amount of sitting water for a prolonged period.

I have Urban Floor engineered wood and my kids drag their wet feet out of the shower on it, it?s endured cat vomit (I?m sure it sat their hours in the night), and all cleans up and wipes off nicely with no issues.

They still last longer with less moisture exposure don?t they?
Where did you get your flooring from? Which species? I?m partial to Brazilian woods

One thing that I don't like about wood look tiles is the grout lines. I'm actually starting to warm up to the herringbone style engineering wood or premium vinyl floors.

Nguyen80 said:
aquabliss said:

They still last longer with less moisture exposure don?t they?
Where did you get your flooring from? Which species? I?m partial to Brazilian woods

We have Urban Floor Villa Caprisi / Trentino installed by Venetian.  It?s the best dark wood floor I?ve had but next house I?m going light wood for sure.

my feet have suffered through porcelain tile looking wood flooring as well as engineered wood flooring.
The difference when walking on the floor is worth the money for engineered wood or real wood.
I like feeling the rough bumps intrinsic in wood products. 

If you wear shoes in your house, then porcelain tile is fine.

Hope everyone is staying safe, I heard the Silverado fires are very close to OH and there was a mandatory evac....

Speaking of the fire...canyonfire 2 didn't do shit to my porcelain tiles...in fact insurance said it was still ok...though a bit dirty.

So yeah..your tiles will survive a fire, but will be rough on your naked feet.

USCTrojanCPA said:
talkirvine said:
mhanism said:
LOL!!!

We?ve had hardwood around kitchen the past couple homes and the water spillage was never a big deal, most hardwood floors have some treatment so as long as you wipe it up, it?s fine.

And fortunately for us, our 3 yr old isn?t too bad with water.

And agree on the ?warmer and softer? look and feel of it - lol!

iacrenter said:
Sidehussle said:
We have the porcelain wood like tiles all throughout downstairs and so glad for it with 2 kids. Everytime I give them their water bottles, they take a sip then pour one for the homies...cleaning up spills every few hours!

LOL

I think that is the reason why wood look tile is getting more and more popular now.

As are premium vinyl floors...they are water proof, scratch proof, pet proof, and kid proof plus they don't have that annoying creeking, crunching sound what you walk on it like laminate floors do.

With respect to what Martin said above and after seeing an exemplary luxury vinyl install firsthand today, I have to amend my earlier comments. Earlier today, I was at Talise and met some installers of Provenza luxury wide plank vinyl. The planks have an edge similar to engineered wood and the overall pattern is very smooth in the transition from plank to plank, although not quite as smooth as engineered wood. Like Martin said, they didn't scrunch or squeal and they didn't feel hollow. There was a solidity when I stepped on them that I've never experienced in wood-alternatives, although it didn't feel quite as heavy and solid as engineered wood.

Attachments

• 20201030_164045_compress37.jpg
    20201030_164045_compress37.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 20201030_163818_compress25.jpg
    20201030_163818_compress25.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 20201030_163942_compress94.jpg
    20201030_163942_compress94.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 235
Was it their LVP product?  Those look pretty nice.  I think I?d go for this one: https://www.provenzafloors.com/waterprooflvp/detail?sku=PRO3204&color=Grateful%20Grey&collection=Concorde%20Oak

Back