Padova in Orchard Hills

mhanism said:
Scratch that, Vinyl is not an option. I checked w/ our designer and she said it was not available and they had no supplier. Bummer.

I was hoping to get vinyl done on my new build through Shea also.

I work in a real estate related field and the installer from a vendor we use regularly was able to do it for me for ~$3/sqft (install only). Material cost can vary obviously, but that's the ballpark. Demo depends on how much tile there is, but will likely run between $600-$1000 for a home around 3000-3500 sqft.

Has anyone been successful in asking the builder to put carpet throughout the bottom level, including kitchen and bathrooms, so that demo is easier later on? I tried on my current home a few years back and they said no. Seems like it would be cheaper and easier for them so doesn't make much sense to me unless it doesn't meet some city code.

We got a quote for hardwood flooring throughout the home, including stairs, with an engineered hardwood product, and they quoted $68k or so. We're having our flooring guys from the Bay Area come down to do the job (they coincidentally also contract for Shea Homes Nor. Cal), and including demoing, plus underlayment on the 2nd floor, glue down on the first (w/ better quality glue), with custom work for the stairs, are coming in around $50k or so. The only part we'd miss is under the Refrigerator - which isn't a big deal. The Shea quote had a standard glue down on the 2nd floor.

We're having our painters re-caulk and fill in the baseboards, since we're having the place painted over anyways. 

I don't think we can go w/ carpet around the kitchen, which I believe would violate some code for safety reasons.

JadedOne said:
mhanism said:
Scratch that, Vinyl is not an option. I checked w/ our designer and she said it was not available and they had no supplier. Bummer.

I work in a real estate related field and the installer from a vendor we use regularly was able to do it for me for ~$3/sqft (install only). Material cost can vary obviously, but that's the ballpark. Demo depends on how much tile there is, but will likely run between $600-$1000 for a home around 3000-3500 sqft.

Has anyone been successful in asking the builder to put carpet throughout the bottom level, including kitchen and bathrooms, so that demo is easier later on? I tried on my current home a few years back and they said no. Seems like it would be cheaper and easier for them so doesn't make much sense to me unless it doesn't meet some city code.

We picked out the specific make/model of wood we wanted throughout the first floor, and had the builder put it in only in the kitchen, and free standard carpet everywhere else. Then after market, we had outside company remove the carpet and install the same wood flooring everywhere else. They dovetailed it with the kitchen planks. We have large open floor plan and you can't tell where the transition is. We did do tile upgrades in downstairs bathrooms through builder to avoid having to demo and void the plumbing warranty. Builder would not put carpet in bathrooms; we asked  ;D

I am kind of surprised to see you all use hard/engineer wood on the first floor (including kitchen where waterproof is going to be an issue with wood flooring). Most of the model homes I've visited use high-quality porcelain tiles on the first floor, as it is more durable, scratch resistant and 100% water proof. May I know the reason that makes you choose wood over tile?

JadedOne said:
mhanism said:

Demolish costs ?$600-$1000 for a home around 3000-3500 sqft.? This is the lowest price I have ever seen. I have quoted around for a 5k sqft home (roughly 70% carpet and 30% tile), and it ranges from 7k to 15k. Would you mind sharing with me the contact info pf the demolishing guy?

And where did you guys find the contractors/subcontractors? I find mine from Craigslist and facebook, which I think are places of low-price labors (quality is another issue). But it seems my quote is higher than your guys.

For instance, labor on tile installation ranges $5-$7 /sqft. This does not include demo or any material.

talkirvine said:
I am kind of surprised to see you all use hard/engineer wood on the first floor (including kitchen where waterproof is going to be an issue with wood flooring). Most of the model homes I've visited use high-quality porcelain tiles on the first floor, as it is more durable, scratch resistant and 100% water proof. May I know the reason that makes you choose wood over tile?

Wife thinks wood makes it feel "warmer/homey".

talkirvine said:

We have the porcelain wood like tiles all throughout downstairs and so glad for it with 2 kids. Everytime I give them their water bottles, they take a sip then pour one for the homies...cleaning up spills every few hours!

Sidehussle said:
We have the porcelain wood like tiles all throughout downstairs and so glad for it with 2 kids. Everytime I give them their water bottles, they take a sip then pour one for the homies...cleaning up spills every few hours!

LOL

Sidehussle said:
talkirvine said:

HAHA! So that's what the kids are doing? I have engineered wood in my home now including the kitchen, never again especially with 2 kids.

LOL!!!

We?ve had hardwood around kitchen the past couple homes and the water spillage was never a big deal, most hardwood floors have some treatment so as long as you wipe it up, it?s fine.

And fortunately for us, our 3 yr old isn?t too bad with water.

And agree on the ?warmer and softer? look and feel of it - lol!

iacrenter said:
Sidehussle said:

LOL

mhanism said:
LOL!!!

We?ve had hardwood around kitchen the past couple homes and the water spillage was never a big deal, most hardwood floors have some treatment so as long as you wipe it up, it?s fine.

iacrenter said:
Sidehussle said:

LOL

I think that is the reason why wood look tile is getting more and more popular now.

talkirvine said:
mhanism said:
LOL!!!

iacrenter said:
Sidehussle said:

LOL

I think that is the reason why wood look tile is getting more and more popular now.

As are premium vinyl floors...they are water proof, scratch proof, pet proof, and kid proof plus they don't have that annoying creeking, crunching sound what you walk on it like laminate floors do.

talkirvine said:
Virtually every home builder in the price range from $800,000 on up, if they have an even number of model homes, will have half the models with tiles and half the models with full glue down engineered wood. In new communities from $800,000 and below, such as attached condos with 5 or 6 floor plans, you might find 1 or 2 of the models with floating laminate or vinyl.

Wood is warmer and, for families with or without young children, softer. It's a cultural thing to some extent for many non-asian Americans. Those experienced with high quality wood have long dispelled rumors of fear of liquid spills.

Asians are more accustomed to tiles. But Asian Americans may be split closer to 50/50.

I will never do laminate or new-fangled vinyl until they stop looking like what the attached pic looks like! The attached pic is from a phase that will move-in soon, and I met the home builder floor contractor while he was working on the job. It always seems to look exactly like that no matter if it's grey or brown. Even wood-like porcelain tiles don't have that limitation.

Addendum: Sorry for not attaching pics of engineered wood here. In response to Trematix, I put up a post down below with pics of 2 examples of engineered wood and 1 more example of laminate-vinyl. I also explain the artificial mottled wood look that laminate and premium vinyl can't seem to avoid at this point.

Attachments

• 20201022_180916_compress49.jpg
    20201022_180916_compress49.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 222
CogNeuroSci said:
Those experienced with high quality wood have long dispelled rumors of fear of liquid spills.

I don't know if I have high quality wood but I've had wood in the kitchen in 4 homes with kids and it's been fine.  I have gone lighter though. Dark wood is a hard to maintain in general.

Back