Orchard Hills 3 Residents Smelt Odor From All American Asphalt

eyephone said:
Shiba123 said:
I smelled an asphalt smell this morning in Northpark when I left for work. My husband was with me but he didn't smell it. Maybe some of our noses are more sensitive than others? I'm pregnant so maybe that's why.

I've been suffering from allergies in this area after moving here. I didn't have any issues with allergies when I lived in the University Park area.

Is this a good thing? It seems like unhealthy.
I wish you the best.

Google search it: pregnancy environmental exposure

I have good intentions and just want you to be aware.

If this is on Wechat, does that mean all the Chinese owners are going to sell soon before the rumor spreads?  Or that they will stop buying in the area?  Mass exodus and lower new home sales is good for everyone else that wants to move into the area since it could be an imaginary odor?  >:D

On the flip side, if this is being reported on multiple platforms by multiple people, there's something going on with an odor, maybe the Asphalt company, maybe it's something else...let us know when those in the area find out.

akkord said:
If this is on Wechat, does that mean all the Chinese owners are going to sell soon before the rumor spreads?  Or that they will stop buying in the area?  Mass exodus and lower new home sales is good for everyone else that wants to move into the area since it could be an imaginary odor?  >:D

On the flip side, if this is being reported on multiple platforms by multiple people, there's something going on with an odor, maybe the Asphalt company, maybe it's something else...let us know when those in the area find out.

That?s why I previously mentioned allegedly.

lalsdgie said:
I'll never be able to understand people who post allegations like this, as if weather records and the internet don't exist.  Every single time someone alleges in this thread that they smelled asphalt from the plant, online weather records show the wind blowing the other way.  Every.  Single.  Time.  This includes the OP's original complaint.  Look it up in weather records.  The OP has been demeaning a business for all this time and it can be disproved in one minute.

You live in Irvine, people.  You're supposed to be smart.  The internet has been around for over 20 years.  You're using it now.  How do you think you can get away with posting stuff like this when everyone can see it's not true?  You're probably on another thread saying you smell the landfill and not the bag of garbage in your kitchen that you're too lazy to take outside.

I dont think I trust you actually.  LOL

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Shiba123 said:
I smelled an asphalt smell this morning in Northpark when I left for work. My husband was with me but he didn't smell it. Maybe some of our noses are more sensitive than others? I'm pregnant so maybe that's why.

I've been suffering from allergies in this area after moving here. I didn't have any issues with allergies when I lived in the University Park area.

I wish you the best.

We have solar panels so our windows are closed 24/7 and run the HVAC. I don't spend all that much time outdoors these days except short nightly walks. Thank you though :)

Shiba123 said:
eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Shiba123 said:

I wish you the best.

We have solar panels so our windows are closed 24/7 and run the HVAC. I don't spend all that much time outdoors these days except short nightly walks. Thank you though :)

:)

I submitted a complaint to AQMD this morning about the asphalt smell from this morning and they checked it out later this morning. The representative left me a voice mail to let me know that they issued a "public nuisance" violation for this issue and are in the process of issuing 2 more violations. She didn't specify who or where these violations were issued to though. She did say to report odors immediately so they can check it out when they happen. I used the link that Kings posted earlier in this thread:https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,16563.msg354733.html#msg354733

I guess it?s not fake.

Shiba123 said:
I submitted a complaint to AQMD this morning about the asphalt smell from this morning and they checked it out later this morning. The representative left me a voice mail to let me know that they issued a "public nuisance" violation for this issue and are in the process of issuing 2 more violations. She didn't specify who or where these violations were issued to though. She did say to report odors immediately so they can check it out when they happen. I used the link that Kings posted earlier in this thread:https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,16563.msg354733.html#msg354733

Received this on my NextDoor feed from City of Irvine:

Public Information Officer Melissa Haley
City of Irvine
Asphalt Plant Odor

The City of Irvine has received multiple complaints about odor emanating from an asphalt plant in the Orchard Hills area. The City has investigated these complaints and notified the South Coast Air Quality Management District (AQMD), which has jurisdiction over these matters. AQMD has informed the City that notice has been issued to the plant operator and further action may be taken if the issue is not resolved. 

?I understand the resident concerns regarding the plant and I want to assure you that City staff, with AQMD, will work diligently to address this problem swiftly," said Mayor Christina Shea. 

The City will continue to work with AQMD and actively monitor the situation to protect the health and best interests of residents. Residents noticing any further odors are encouraged to contact AQMD by calling 1-800-CUT-SMOG (1-800-288-7664) or visit http://www.aqmd.gov/home/air-quality/complaints.

winterblues said:

City of Irvine
Asphalt Plant Odor

The City of Irvine has received multiple complaints about odor emanating from an asphalt plant in the Orchard Hills area. The City has investigated these complaints and notified the South Coast Air Quality Management District (AQMD), which has jurisdiction over these matters. AQMD has informed the City that notice has been issued to the plant operator and further action may be taken if the issue is not resolved. 

?I understand the resident concerns regarding the plant and I want to assure you that City staff, with AQMD, will work diligently to address this problem swiftly," said Mayor Christina Shea. 

The City will continue to work with AQMD and actively monitor the situation to protect the health and best interests of residents. Residents noticing any further odors are encouraged to contact AQMD by calling 1-800-CUT-SMOG (1-800-288-7664) or visit http://www.aqmd.gov/home/air-quality/complaints.

Thanks for the update, but I think the city should provide more information. They should send residents charts or records of each day of the air quality for weeks and months. Just promising they will keep an eye on is like a safe political statement that pretty much does nothing for the residents.

Mety said:
winterblues said:

City of Irvine
Asphalt Plant Odor

Thanks for the update, but I think the city should provide more information. They should send residents charts or records of each day of the air quality for weeks and months. Just promising they will keep an eye on is like a safe political statement that pretty much does nothing for the residents.

What can I say? Potentially TI pressure
When it comes to environmental issues we are on it!

OH residents, is the issue resolved after AQMD issued notices to AAA?  No more complaints about the odor?

Nope... here's a post from Nextdoor about it 43 min ago:

posted on Stop Aspahlt Fumes - Irvine
I spoke with AQMD yesterday after filing a complaint. I was told that All American Asphalt has been running an extra shift, that takes place overnight, to manufacture asphalt for the 405 highway project. During the day the winds blow the asphalt fumes away from Irvine; however, at night the winds shift and blow the fumes over now populated areas of Irvine. All American Asphalt has been issued nuisance citations by AQMD due to the number of complaints.

In my opinion, it seems that there is little AQMD is willing to due to actually halt the toxic fumes. Nuisance citations have proven ineffective. The solution is that operations at night must cease immediately. Additional pollution abatement equipment must be installed. It is unlikely AQMD will take these measures without significant pressure from the Irvine community and politicians.

Shiba123 said:
Nope... here's a post from Nextdoor about it 43 min ago:

posted on Stop Aspahlt Fumes - Irvine
I spoke with AQMD yesterday after filing a complaint. I was told that All American Asphalt has been running an extra shift, that takes place overnight, to manufacture asphalt for the 405 highway project. During the day the winds blow the asphalt fumes away from Irvine; however, at night the winds shift and blow the fumes over now populated areas of Irvine. All American Asphalt has been issued nuisance citations by AQMD due to the number of complaints.

In my opinion, it seems that there is little AQMD is willing to due to actually halt the toxic fumes. Nuisance citations have proven ineffective. The solution is that operations at night must cease immediately. Additional pollution abatement equipment must be installed. It is unlikely AQMD will take these measures without significant pressure from the Irvine community and politicians.

i would recommend reaching out to the oc register and let them know this is a serious issue for the community and link them to the nextdoor threads, this thread, etc.  sometimes you need more than just regulatory pressure to make a difference.

Back