Once again...nothing to be done but prayers and thoughts

Burn That Belly said:
Let's not beat around the bush. Bottom line is Americans need guns just as much as they need their weed, soda, and insulin. Regulation will not prevent a lunatic from carrying out acts of terrorism. This is domestic terrorism at its finest. Born and bred from the good ole' US of A.

The EASIEST way and CHEAPEST way is to hire armed security at every school. Come on. Schools get something like $8,000 for each student per year per enrollment. You're telling me schools can't afford to hire a $60,000 armed security personnel?

There was an armed security officer at the HS. 
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...ncountered-rampaging-gunman-article-1.3822777

Happiness said:
fortune11 said:
Burn That Belly said:
Here you go ladies and gentlemen!  Sort the list by country. You will see obviously that USA has the highest frequency but China (a country that bans guns) has plenty of school massacres as well. Same thing with Germany and a few in Canada.

Once again, guns are not necessary for school massacres.

Perhaps, what we can do is raise the minimum age to 26 to own and purchase firearms. However, that still wouldn't stop an old ass bloke like Stephen Paddock.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_massacres_by_death_toll

I am not a combat veteran ... But even I can tell you this killer in Florida ---  had he been brandishing a knife or even a samurai sword --- could have been stopped at a death count  way, way below 17 ...

Don't underestimate the samurai sword. Two Japanese soldiers killed over 100 Chinese civilians with a samuari sword in a contest in Nanking China in 1937:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Contest_To_Cut_Down_100_People.jpg

Are you serious?  Seriously...what the heck kinda of comparison is that?  You think those guys were just two random people running around in samurai swords in a normal societal background? 

250,000 people were murdered and 20,000 rapes occurred during the Nanking Massacre in a systematic campaign of terror and destruction waged by the Japanese army over a period of a month.  It is considered one of the most tragic examples of war crimes in human history.  Is that the context you want to put on this discussion? 

Seriously...that is insulting to both the victims of the Nanking Massacre and the Parkland shooting

Loco_local said:
The EASIEST way and CHEAPEST way is to hire armed security at every school. Come on. Schools get something like $8,000 for each student per year per enrollment. You're telling me schools can't afford to hire a $60,000 armed security personnel?

I read somewhere that school did have an armed security guard, but with a school that size, one person can't be very effective.  Better to just make school uniforms that have bullet proof vests.

Does anyone remember the story about the UCI professor and Uni? If he had actually been serious, I don't think one for even two armed security would have made much difference in a big open campus.

The whole shooting took 6 minutes and there was an armed deputy there.  Of course, we have not even talked about the sniper scenario that happened in Las Vegas.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/aftermath-shooting-community-mourns-wonders-044040593.html

Irvinecommuter said:
Happiness said:
fortune11 said:
Burn That Belly said:
Here you go ladies and gentlemen!  Sort the list by country. You will see obviously that USA has the highest frequency but China (a country that bans guns) has plenty of school massacres as well. Same thing with Germany and a few in Canada.

Once again, guns are not necessary for school massacres.

Perhaps, what we can do is raise the minimum age to 26 to own and purchase firearms. However, that still wouldn't stop an old ass bloke like Stephen Paddock.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_massacres_by_death_toll

I am not a combat veteran ... But even I can tell you this killer in Florida ---  had he been brandishing a knife or even a samurai sword --- could have been stopped at a death count  way, way below 17 ...

Don't underestimate the samurai sword. Two Japanese soldiers killed over 100 Chinese civilians with a samuari sword in a contest in Nanking China in 1937:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Contest_To_Cut_Down_100_People.jpg

Are you serious?  Seriously...what the heck kinda of comparison is that?  You think those guys were just two random people running around in samurai swords in a normal societal background? 

250,000 people were murdered and 20,000 rapes occurred during the Nanking Massacre in a systematic campaign of terror and destruction waged by the Japanese army over a period of a month.  It is considered one of the most tragic examples of war crimes in human history.  Is that the context you want to put on this discussion? 

Seriously...that is insulting to both the victims of the Nanking Massacre and the Parkland shooting

Good reply w some historical context.

Those who paid heed to my advice in the recent market selloff probably came out ahead ...

Mark my words .. we are again at a tipping point in history .. wrt guns

i have been following this topic since Columbine (99) and there has been a stalemate for a very very long time --- but just as the tide turned w civil rights, gay rights , now NRA/GOP may have jumped the shark w this latest episode of high school shooting -- the attention this is getting is somewhat different and the responses I am seeing are also very different .

GOP may also be laying the seeds for its long term ruin.  One election does not a trend make, and there are only so many fax-addled old ppl who keep voting them in before the next generation (s) take over -- gerrymandering also will not be able to save them.  There is still time for the Mitt Romney types (I was a Romney voter) to save the party but they need to act fast ...

morekaos said:
Nothing will change on this topic till this generation dies out.  Just going to have to wait.

I think it will just get worse. With CSGo, PUBG and Overwatch... our next generation is all about guns.

Time to start building walls (Trump?) around schools and putting metal detectors at the entrances.

irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
Nothing will change on this topic till this generation dies out.  Just going to have to wait.

I think it will just get worse. With CSGo, PUBG and Overwatch... our next generation is all about guns.

Time to start building walls (Trump?) around schools and putting metal detectors at the entrances.

Next gen all about guns ? not sure if it was said in jest , or if you are serious

there will always be disillusioned youth - the types to spend day and night squabbling on 4chan -- but the gap between Gen X/Y/Z (to various degrees) and boomers is getting to be as big as the gap between boomers in their youth or middle age and their parents .

don't also forget - this crowd is a lot more diverse (ethnicity wise ) than the boomers were

Irvinecommuter said:
Can't we do all those things?

For those living in State of CA you don't need to do anything, as the political trend here leans toward gun control.  However this will not stop angry people from setting off pressure cooker bombs or running crowds over with a truck.  As 3D milling (CNC) becomes more affordable many people will simply click and print firearm parts at home and build their own.

As I mentioned in my previous post, our culture sucks in dealing with outcasts and mentally or emotionally stressed people.  When there is no shoulder to lean on or ear to listen, people retreat to their safe spaces and that space isn't always a good place (dark corners of the internet).  To compare, in 2014, a troubled young man in Taiwan stabbed 28 people on the train, resulting in 4 fatalities and 10 critical injuries.  Fortunately emergency services and hospitals were nearby the train station, otherwise it would have resulted in 14 fatalities.

This young man was a student of Tunghai University and had been giving off warning signs for quite some time.  People avoided him because he likes to talk about leading groups of people to abandoned classrooms or train stations and killing them all.  His safe space was the dark corner of the internet for snuff fiction.  Long before he went to stab 28 people, multiple calls were made to the school administration warning them, but nobody bothered to make an effort.  After the attack the university staff and students were shocked before coming to realization on the cost of their inaction.

Instead of demonizing the troubled young man, the University released a statement calling him a member of their family, and that they loved him, but did not love him enough.  The school apologized to the public for their failings.  The student body held prayers for him and marched with banners that called on their fellow students to take "one more step, to look once again, and to speak one more word" -- do not ignore your fellow students who are troubled.  They felt shameful that they allowed one of their peers to cause the damage to society.

http://www.thu.edu.tw/web/announcement/announcement_detail.php?cid=7&id=3467
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RatFG6LzNfo

How many of us would make an effort to go sit with a loner or outcast at lunch table in school?  Do we point our fingers at Everyone else but ourselves?

fortune11 said:
Sigh ... why do you make me work so hard ... thought it was obvious to everyone

We are NOT talking about war crimes

Ah, so you admit this wasn't an act of terrorism.

again this is not rocket science ..

a guy with a knife can be stopped before he kills 15 people

Don't point to exceptions

There is something called " base rate effects " or " base rate neglect " .  look it up ... if I get time later today I will do one of my clifnotes versions on it

it is how insurance companies price risk and many of your corporations that you work for also price risk / reward

remove emotions , romantic fantasies of manhood , sob stories , land of the free imagery and try to tackle a problem

make high powered guns difficult to obtain for mentally challenged people - it is not that hard !!

fortune11 said:
Those who paid heed to my advice in the recent market selloff probably came out ahead ...

i have been following this topic since Columbine (99) and there has been a stalemate for a very very long time --- but just as the tide turned w civil rights, gay rights , now NRA/GOP may have jumped the shark w this latest episode of high school shooting -- the attention this is getting is somewhat different and the responses I am seeing are also very different .

GOP may also be laying the seeds for its long term ruin.  One election does not a trend make, and there are only so many fax-addled old ppl who keep voting them in before the next generation (s) take over -- gerrymandering also will not be able to save them.  There is still time for the Mitt Romney types (I was a Romney voter) to save the party but they need to act fast ...

Why blame the GOP for lack of gun control? There were several times since the 90s when the Dems had the votes and the WH where they could have acted on this. The Dems made a decision back in the 90s to try to expand its appeal outside of large cities by downplaying its opposition to guns. This is one of the reasons Bill Clinton was so popular with such a broad segment of American society. If you are a politician or political party, you can't ignore the fact that half of US households contain guns and there are far more guns than people in the US and since these people are mostly white and older they tend to vote in high percentages. As Morekaos said, the only hope for gun control is to wait until current gun owners die and hope the future demographics of the counrty shift towards those with no tradition of gun ownership.

fortune11 said:

So let's prevent gun deaths by wishing for millions of older Americans to die?

Happiness said:
fortune11 said:

Why blame the GOP for lack of gun control? There were several times since the 90s when the Dems had the votes and the WH where they could have acted on this. The Dems made a decision back in the 90s to try to expand its appeal outside of large cities by downplaying its opposition to guns. This is one of the reasons Bill Clinton was so popular with such a broad segment of American society. If you are a politician or political party, you can't ignore the fact that half of US households contain guns and there are far more guns than people in the US and since these people are mostly white and older they tend to vote in high percentages. As Morekaos said, the only hope for gun control is to wait until current gun owners die and hope the future demographics of the counrty shift towards those with no tradition of gun ownership.

Your theory is flawed because the proportion of gun owners is spread almost evenly between all age ranges.  The younger groups are only slightly less likely to own a gun and that is probably due to finances more than a shift in the culture.

Percent of adults with a gun in household:

18-29 ~ 43%
30-49 ~ 39%
50-64 ~ 43%
65+ ~ 45%
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017...-of-gun-ownership/psdt_2017-06-22-guns-01-10/

I can understand fortune 11's impatience regarding the die off of gun owners.

Given the history of this country, most gun owners today probably had parents and grandparents who were gun owners so gun ownership was viewed as a normal thing. In the past, religious, political, and social values tended to be passed down the generations by the family.

Today, our values are transmitted not by the family but my the media, schools, peers, and other things outside the home. It doesn't matter if a young person has a parent or grandparent who owns guns. If he gets more likes, followers, or right swipes by being against guns, all of the family's gun collection will likely end up in the trash once his parents die.

irvinehomeowner said:

Because we all know playing shooters make you want to own a gun or murder half a school...

I guess the older generation is all about blaming video games.

Happiness said:

Well, it's not going to happen in our lifetimes.  Look at the Pew stats that I posted.  Young people own guns at almost the same rate as retired people.

Liar Loan said:
Happiness said:

Well, it's not going to happen in our lifetimes.  Look at the Pew stats that I posted.  Young people own guns at almost the same rate as retired people.

That is very interesting, not what I expected, but I'm OK with it. My son has a gun and will inherit mine when I move on.  He is Generation Z, very conservative kids.

you know what , twist my words all you want to make your one liner "gotcha " moments -- you really have to clutch at straws and say things like "wishing for people to die " to extricate yourself out of this illogical position that you find yourself in

on this forum --- clearly gun absolutists far outnumbers those who advocate at least injecting some level of logical debate on this topic . doesn't matter . 

there are more people browsing and reading here than commenting , and they see what I said for whatever its worth.  that's it. 

Back