Oil

California is the worst for rising gas prices but most areas have been recently going up alot.

Historically, when winter blend is coming, prices go up before they drop because the refiners have to switch blends.

So Newsom is blaming the oil companies and refiners and is switching to winter blend early BUT how come the price has been rising so much when oil was dropping and we were in the middle of summer blend?

Not only that gas dropped even before July 4th holiday.

In this part of the state we get alot of our gas from Cali. Other parts from east of the rockies and those areas have not seen the surge to the extent we have. We were at 3.59 for MONTHS, then suddenly it started going up and we r now at $4.79 or more. I know u r all playing your violin for me, but it's 33% at a time when oil was dropping (and it was steady when it was higher) so yeah......... something is fishy.

I think SG mentioned Biden had to fill up the reserves which would explain it.

Elections are coming, so I expect we'll see a big effort to move those prices back down.

And honestly California just rips off drivers. You can still get gas on the way out of AZ for $3.89 ($3.39 in the Tuscon area) but drive right over the border and it's $6.50+

So now Newsom has a new plan. Lets tax the oil companies and give the money back to the drivers. Sure........... for who the government thinks needs it, not who paid the ridiculous prices.

Here's a thought...... you want to tax the oil companies? Then eliminate the gas tax and keep the oil taxes.

momopi said:
I do wish I was driving the hyrbid Sienna with 35 miles/gallon.  My non-hybrid Sienna gets like 16.x miles/gallon on city roads.

Electric cars are nice for commute to work with charging stations on both ends.  But from prepper perspective I would not want to bug out in one.

The lesson of Mad Max is if you have weaponry, then access to gas is no problem.

1hobtj.jpg

The ?oil companies are greedy? just doesn?t hold water. If they are so greedy why are they only greedy in California and not in Nevada or Kansas where gas is $2-$3 dollars cheaper? Why are we unlike 98% of the rest of the country?  Once again we are the most expensive in the country. More than Hawaii or Florida where their gas infrastructure got nailed but they are still paying below the national average.  Comes down to taxes and regulatory BS?sprinkled with sales tax revenue greed and over regulation.  We are #1 again!!

Your logic doesn't make sense.

There wasn't any rate change in sales taxes the last few months... the only change was profit margins... so who do you think is making that money?

morekaos said:
The ?oil companies are greedy? just doesn?t hold water. If they are so greedy why are they only greedy in California and not in Nevada or Kansas where gas is $2-$3 dollars cheaper? Why are we unlike 98% of the rest of the country?  Once again we are the most expensive in the country. More than Hawaii or Florida where their gas infrastructure got nailed but they are still paying below the national average.  Comes down to taxes and regulatory BS?sprinkled with sales tax revenue greed and over regulation.  We are #1 again!!

California has their own refineries. They cannot get oil from the east because there is no pipeline. AZ is dependent on CA for 60% of our gas, unfortunately. Since the price continues to be low in Tuscon area, the fault mostly lies with California refineries.

It's been going up elsewhere too though so something else is contributing.

And also remember I had been posting for a while gas had been dropping for us but not so for you guys, so that had to mean there is an issue with your refineries.

morekaos said:
So you think the oil companies are only raising prices in California but don?t think they can get away with it in 49 other states?
https://www.gasbuddy.com/usa

Why are prices always higher in Cali? We have a car culture... it's like a captured audience. So companies are taking advantage.

That's also why lead the country in EV adoption... because people are driving with their wallets.

Here we are again, moretroll posting shit without keeping in touch with what's actually going on.

It's been all over the news. At least six of California's 14 refineries had been taken offline in recent weeks for unplanned maintenance. I mentioned this several posts ago, but moretroll just chose to ignore it. California's gas price has NOTHING to do with oil supply. It has nothing to do with sales tax or regulations. It's due to greedy oil companies shutting down refineries to limit gas supply. HALF of the state's refineries shutting down almost at the same time.

CalBears96 said:
Here we are again, moretroll posting shit without keeping in touch with what's actually going on.

It's been all over the news. At least six of California's 14 refineries had been taken offline in recent weeks for unplanned maintenance. I mentioned this several posts ago, but moretroll just chose to ignore it. California's gas price has NOTHING to do with oil supply. It has nothing to do with sales tax or regulations. It's due to greedy oil companies shutting down refineries to limit gas supply. HALF of the state's refineries shutting down almost at the same time.

They have to shut down to switch to winter blend. They do it every year and there is always a bump up in price but gas has been going up for longer than switching blends and the rapid rise in prices is not what we have gotten in previous years.

Nonetheless...... just like pot news today, gas prices going to come down before the election.

Build more refinery?s, build more pipelines, allow offshore drilling, open up fracking, get rid of winter summer blends, drop gas taxed and strangling regulations,?.drill baby drill and we will have $2.00 gas, energy independence a healthy economy and jobs and a massive export market?it really is that simple.

Ready2Downsize said:
CalBears96 said:

They have to shut down to switch to winter blend. They do it every year and there is always a bump up in price but gas has been going up for longer than switching blends and the rapid rise in prices is not what we have gotten in previous years.

Nonetheless...... just like pot news today, gas prices going to come down before the election.

Except that's not what they were doing though. Like I said, "unplanned maintenance".

CalBears96 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
CalBears96 said:

Except that's not what they were doing though. Like I said, "unplanned maintenance".

What is unplanned maintenance? They had to fix half the grids all at one time because they are old and no oil company will build a new one?

So Newsom is on the sly again for ya all that make more than a million bucks......... time to pay your fair share is coming:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/gavin-...ease-california-marginal-tax-rate-11664921470

Even the lifting of the payroll limit is going to be a goood chunk of change. Not sure why I even bother working anymore. No fun taking home 50 cents on the dollar.

CalBears96 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
CalBears96 said:

This only causes problems in a state like California with its own blend.  If refineries in other states shut down they could import more gas to make up the difference.  So like morekaos said, the regulatory environment creates the supply shortage here.

irvinehomeowner said:
There wasn't any rate change in sales taxes the last few months... the only change was profit margins...

The gas tax did go up in the past few months.  It doesn't explain the large increases in price recently, but it contributes to the higher prices we pay over the longer term.

CalBears96 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
CalBears96 said:

Do some homework. MK is 100% correct - see here for the war the industry is about to wage at the ballot box against the regulations that make operating a refinery over the long term in CA very commerically unattractive. If nothing changes gas will top $10/gal here in 5 yrs as refineries close up shop.
https://calmatters.org/newsletters/whatmatters/2022/10/california-gas-tax-oil-industry/

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
There wasn't any rate change in sales taxes the last few months... the only change was profit margins...

The gas tax did go up in the past few months.  It doesn't explain the large increases in price recently, but it contributes to the higher prices we pay over the longer term.

That was July 1 and it was 2.6 cents increase... were there others? And I bet profit margins increased more.

Back