New communities in Portola Springs

Bluff 2 downstairs is not that bad. But I agree with having a loft looking at a sloping down roof is a little claustrophobic.
Maybe it is cheaper to build it that way?

But while both floor plans are efficient, it will be nice to have some extra room in the downstairs area to place an upright piano. Many Asian parents send their kids to piano class and having a piano will make a house look more classical. Neither floor plans have space for a piano

CogNeuroSci said:
The Bluffs Plan 2 takes a page out of the Cal Pac and Toll Brother play book with its 20-ft 2nd floor overlook from the loft into the great room. However, why would Irvine Pacific use a ceiling that slopes downward as you move away from the loft? It creates a claustrophobic feel. God knows you must have thought to yourself about the overlook ceiling, right? Cal Pac and Toll Brothers use a conventional level ceiling line to extend the horizontal-vertical space. There is no positive reason to slope that ceiling downward, because it's not like it's a 25-ft ceiling and a super long great room.

But would I be happy with the Bluffs Plan 2? Yes, absolutely! It has everything you want/need, along with a nice long entryway before you get to the dining and great rooms. The Sierra Plans 2 and 3 have horizontal "squatted" entryways, which is a space-saver technique (read: compromise). And even though the Plan 1 has a more conventional vertical entryway, it's got the staircase right next to the front door, a no-no in my psychology book.

While it's true that a conventional level high ceiling is preferred, Bluffs 2 does have a high ceiling in the great room that Sierra 2/3 don't have. I still think Bluffs 2's floorplan is superior to that of Sierra 2/3.

And as I mentioned, I was comparing Sierra 2/3 to Highland 1, since Bluffs 2 is attached condo and Highland 1 is SFR (although "quasi"). In that sense, I think Highland 1's floorplan is superior to Sierra 2/3. But I guess all of this is just personal preference.

CalBears96 said:
CogNeuroSci said:
The Bluffs Plan 2 takes a page out of the Cal Pac and Toll Brother play book with its 20-ft 2nd floor overlook from the loft into the great room. However, why would Irvine Pacific use a ceiling that slopes downward as you move away from the loft? It creates a claustrophobic feel. God knows you must have thought to yourself about the overlook ceiling, right? Cal Pac and Toll Brothers use a conventional level ceiling line to extend the horizontal-vertical space. There is no positive reason to slope that ceiling downward, because it's not like it's a 25-ft ceiling and a super long great room.

But would I be happy with the Bluffs Plan 2? Yes, absolutely! It has everything you want/need, along with a nice long entryway before you get to the dining and great rooms. The Sierra Plans 2 and 3 have horizontal "squatted" entryways, which is a space-saver technique (read: compromise). And even though the Plan 1 has a more conventional vertical entryway, it's got the staircase right next to the front door, a no-no in my psychology book.

While it's true that a conventional level high ceiling is preferred, Bluffs 2 does have a high ceiling in the great room that Sierra 2/3 don't have. I still think Bluffs 2's floorplan is superior to that of Sierra 2/3.

And as I mentioned, I was comparing Sierra 2/3 to Highland 1, since Bluffs 2 is attached condo and Highland 1 is SFR (although "quasi"). In that sense, I think Highland 1's floorplan is superior to Sierra 2/3. But I guess all of this is just personal preference.

Bluffs is a detached condo same as Highland. SFRs in Portola Springs only have 1 HOA, not 2.

USCTrojanCPA said:
CalBears96 said:
CogNeuroSci said:

Bluffs is a detached condo same as Highland. SFRs in Portola Springs only have 1 HOA, not 2.

No, Highland is not detached condo. It's SFR, while it's not true SFR, it's still SFR. Bluffs doesn't have its own driveway, but Highland does. You guys named Highland "quasi" SFR because you can't park on the street at Highland.

CalBears96 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
CalBears96 said:
CogNeuroSci said:

No, Highland is not detached condo. It's SFR, while it's not true SFR, it's still SFR. Bluffs doesn't have its own driveway, but Highland does. You guys named Highland "quasi" SFR because you can't park on the street at Highland.

It's a detached condo, I don't care what Irvine Pacific tells you it is.  A true SFR in Portola Springs only has 1 HOA.  It's the same things as Hillside, Bluffs, Legado, Talise, Celeste, Juniper, Montara, etc...all of those are detached condos but it's just that Highlands is not a motor court detached condo.  All Legados and some Juniper homes also have driveways but are still detached condos. Nothing wrong with buying a detached condos as they appreciate very similar to SFRs.

USCTrojanCPA said:
It's a detached condo, I don't care what Irvine Pacific tells you it is.  A true SFR in Portola Springs only has 1 HOA.  It's the same things as Hillside, Bluffs, Legado, Talise, Celeste, Juniper, Montara, etc...all of those are detached condos but it's just that Highlands is not a motor court detached condo.  All Legados and some Juniper homes also have driveways but are still detached condos. Nothing wrong with buying a detached condos as they appreciate very similar to SFRs.

Perhaps you're right. Whatever IP says doesn't matter. What matters is how HOA defines it with the number HOA fees you have to pay.  :p

CogNeuroSci said:
CalBears96 said:
Davidlee199 said:
It?s all about future resale value.  I am sure a Sierra home will have a higher resale value 10 years from now as it?s a true SFR. 
Look at what  a 3  car garage home vs a 2 car garage home sold for earlier this year:

24 Vienne, Irvine, CA 92606 - 1.55M, 3car garage
16 San Garin, Irvine, CA 92606 - 1.365, 2 car garage with Hugh back yard
10 Benavente, Irvine, CA 92606 $1.255M, 2 car garage with a pool.

it's a no brainer to go for a Sierra home, not Highland or Bluff, if they are priced about the same.

While it's true that Sierra has higher resale value than Highland (let's take Bluffs out of the equation since it's not even in the same class), if you're going to live there for 10 years, would you go for Sierra with inferior floorplans and quality? 10 years is a long time to live in a home that you don't love.

I'm not sure about the difference in quality. I agree part of that perception might come from the number and level of options. Cal Pac options are kept very basic, but you can get mostly what you want aside from some greater limitations, in my opinion, on backsplash/shower tiles. In addition, the exterior stucco, brick, and masonry work (running on the vertical exterior walls) appear to be rock solid on close-up inspection of Irvine Pacific houses. In contrast, a knock on Cal Pac is they use a weaker stucco finish coat (the most exterior layer) that is easily broken apart when, for example, large and heavy Amazon packages are left leaning against it.

As for the floor plans, I am absolutely resolute when I suggest that Cal Pac floor plans are, in general, superior across the board--superior to Irvine Pacific and Toll Brothers when looking at 1800 to 2500 sq ft. Even though Cal Pac has never had a floor plan in the 2500 sq ft range prior to Sierra, I can say that their Montara Plan 3 (except for the Shea-like super short 2nd floor hallway), Celeste Plan 4 and 4x, and Talise Plan 3 and 4 are all superior or mostly superior to anything Irvine Pacific or Toll Brothers has done in the 2500 sq ft range. And so I was, after my initial disappointment with the orientation of the Sierra Plan 3 kitchen island (which I later felt was ok if not ideal), not surprised to conclude that Sierra, whose floor plans are all in or close to the 2500 sq ft range, was mostly superior to Irvine Pacific. Let me be specific. The Bluffs Plan 2 is a conventional and mostly unflawed floor plan, except the dining room to great room intersection is not a true L shape. The negativity is mostly muted because the dining area is large enough, but the somewhat blended nature of the dining area and great room lacks a psychological separation AND creates a sense that the great room is far away yet not in a distinctly separate room/location. A simple way to put it all together is that there seems to be a large amount of "no man's land" in the area between the dining and great rooms. You might say that the Sierra Plan 3 has a similar flaw, but notice that its great room is pushed to the right of the kitchen rather than vertically outward from the kitchen. And it's true that the Sierra Plan 3 also fails to complete a bonafide L shape because it doesn't push the dining room farther out (as Shea typically does), but it still suffers less of a "dead" space effect in-between.

Just chiming in to say this is not CalPac's first rodeo with homes this size. They're known as a pioneer in the Irvine housing world. They've been building homes of that size since the 90s, even in Newport Coast.

They also have a real talent for doing great things with homes of all sizes, though. The courtyard style home plans they built throughout the 2000s were some of the best starter home plans I've seen.

From an appreciation point of view, is it more desirable to go with Sierra 3 that has the bonus on a two floor plan, vs Sierra 2x/y that is a little bigger but has the bonus on a 3rd floor plan?

mightybluff said:
From an appreciation point of view, is it more desirable to go with Sierra 3 that has the bonus on a two floor plan, vs Sierra 2x/y that is a little bigger but has the bonus on a 3rd floor plan?

IMO, the 2nd floor loft/bonus room will be slightly more desirable than a 3rd level loft/bonus room.

mightybluff said:

I'm not a fan of 3 stories, so I would say loft/bonus room on 2nd floor is better. However, for Sierra, I like 2X because you get a deck along with the loft, so you have a view. I don't like 2Y because of no deck/view.

Anyone know what Sierra 2X and 2Y will be priced at? The price sheet didn't have them listed. Just had the available 3 model listed at $1.6M and 2 model at $1.5M.

mightybluff said:
Anyone know what Sierra 2X and 2Y will be priced at? The price sheet didn't have them listed. Just had the available 3 model listed at $1.6M and 2 model at $1.5M.

The price sheet is for the currently released homes. You would likely see a 1-1.5% price increase per phase, so who knows that the base price for plan 2 by the time 2X or 2Y is released. I guess at some point the price increase would slow down, but we haven't seen it yet. You would have:

2Y = 2 + premium 1
2X = 2 + premium 2

with premium 1 being the extra loft and premium 2 being extra loft + view lot

mightybluff said:

They still have 2 homes available for phase 1?

CalBears96 said:
mightybluff said:

The price sheet is for the currently released homes. You would likely see a 1-1.5% price increase per phase, so who knows that the base price for plan 2 by the time 2X or 2Y is released. I guess at some point the price increase would slow down, but we haven't seen it yet. You would have:

2Y = 2 + premium 1
2X = 2 + premium 2

Residence 2 looks nice. The floor plan shows loft at Level 2, but not sure if that's case. Even without loft, residence 2 at 1.5M seems Ike a good price in today's market.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
CalBears96 said:
mightybluff said:

2Y = 2 + premium 1
2X = 2 + premium 2

Residence 2 looks nice. The floor plan shows loft at Level 2, but not sure if that's case. Even without loft, residence 2 at 1.5M seems Ike a good price in today's market.

All 3 plans have a 2nd floor loft.  The x and y just have a 3rd floor loft. 

bkimxmd said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
CalBears96 said:
mightybluff said:

2Y = 2 + premium 1
2X = 2 + premium 2

All 3 plans have a 2nd floor loft.  The x and y just have a 3rd floor loft.

So plan 2 has loft on 2nd floor. However, 2X and 2Y don't have loft on 2nd floor, but bigger bonus room on 3rd floor. 2X also has a deck with a view.

Just got back from visiting Sierra and Highland again. Couldn?t get the lady to give me a price estimate for the 2?s? all she would say is that the 2x/y would certainly be more expensive than the model 3. She said they should have release date and pricing for the model 2 next week.

At Highland, tried to get more info on the new homes on Dreamcatcher. She said they would be released this summer. There are 3 communities. At least 1 would be SFR but one would be similar to Hillside. That?s all she would share.

Back