Unit 59 - 3131 sf
Unit 75 - 3131 sf

Plan 2
Unit 58 - 4166 sf
Unit 76 - 3131 sf

Plan 3
Unit 60 - 3410 sf
Unit 77 - 3510 sf

And because of side entrance, model 2 and 3 will have L shape backyard.
Even view lots will not have any city or beautiful views. Most of them are looking at those dry dirt hills around till road.

We felt highland are much nicer floorplan and IP quality normally much better than Cal Pacific.

Most likely dropped off from Sierra. More negatives than positives at that price point.

Irvine9 said:
We felt highland are much nicer floorplan and IP quality normally much better than Cal Pacific.

Most likely dropped off from Sierra. More negatives than positives at that price point.

I was getting pre-approved to get on priority list, but Loandepot said that I needed to upload financial statements to get pre-approved, which I didn't have to do for IP and TB, so I passed on getting on Sierra list.  We weren't really that excited about Sierra to start with. Our only interest was plan 2X.

We like Highland and even Bluffs a lot more than Sierra due to IP quality being better than CalPac.

I guess the pricing is due to Sierra being true SFRs, unlike Highland. But since I don't care about parking on the street, I like Highland a lot more than Sierra.

Irvine9 said:
Sierra Model 1 is 1.4m  Model 2 is 1.5m to 1.55m and Model 3 is 1.6m

First phase includes some upgrades.

Upgrades are around $40k in the prices and lot 58 includes a $60k lot premium.

Danimal said:
Irvine9 said:
Sierra Model 1 is 1.4m  Model 2 is 1.5m to 1.55m and Model 3 is 1.6m

First phase includes some upgrades.

Thanks for info. Are model homes available to view?

Sierra model homes are not done and will not be available to view until Saturday, Dec. 11th.

It?s all about future resale value.  I am sure a Sierra home will have a higher resale value 10 years from now as it?s a true SFR. 
Look at what  a 3  car garage home vs a 2 car garage home sold for earlier this year:

24 Vienne, Irvine, CA 92606 - 1.55M, 3car garage
16 San Garin, Irvine, CA 92606 - 1.365, 2 car garage with Hugh back yard
10 Benavente, Irvine, CA 92606 $1.255M, 2 car garage with a pool.

it's a no brainer to go for a Sierra home, not Highland or Bluff, if they are priced about the same.

Davidlee199 said:
It?s all about future resale value.  I am sure a Sierra home will have a higher resale value 10 years from now as it?s a true SFR. 
Look at what  a 3  car garage home vs a 2 car garage home sold for earlier this year:

it's a no brainer to go for a Sierra home, not Highland or Bluff, if they are priced about the same.

While it's true that Sierra has higher resale value than Highland (let's take Bluffs out of the equation since it's not even in the same class), if you're going to live there for 10 years, would you go for Sierra with inferior floorplans and quality? 10 years is a long time to live in a home that you don't love.

CalBears96 said:
Davidlee199 said:

While it's true that Sierra has higher resale value than Highland (let's take Bluffs out of the equation since it's not even in the same class), if you're going to live there for 10 years, would you go for Sierra with inferior floorplans and quality? 10 years is a long time to live in a home that you don't love.

Hmmm I wouldn?t say floor plans are inferior, that?s just a personal preference or opinion.  What?s the deal with the quality difference?  Curious to know as we have only been in Socal for two years and are not familiar with these builders. 

We?ve purchased 2 new houses in the past but they were in Maryland.  I guess there may be differences in details and materials between builders and one might be nicer and more expensive. 

Are you referring to that or quality in workmanship?  To my knowledge they all use contractors and sub contractors to put the homes together.

bkimxmd said:
CalBears96 said:
Davidlee199 said:

Hmmm I wouldn?t say floor plans are inferior, that?s just a personal preference or opinion.  What?s the deal with the quality difference?  Curious to know as we have only been in Socal for two years and are not familiar with these builders. 

We?ve purchased 2 new houses in the past but they were in Maryland.  I guess there may be differences in details and materials between builders and one might be nicer and more expensive. 

Are you referring to that or quality in workmanship?  To my knowledge they all use contractors and sub contractors to put the homes together.

All the local builders basically use the same contractors/subs, the thing that separates the builders is their internal QC/construction management department and how they keep the contractors/subs in check along with their after-close customer service. 

bkimxmd said:

I'll concede that floorplans are personal preference. For me, Bluffs and Highland floorplans are far superior to Sierra.

As for quality that I referred, it has to do with design center (upgrade materials, I guess you could call it) and after-close customer service. Again, this is just my opinion based on reviews I've read.

We were interested in Sierra 2X as a backup for Bluffs/Highland, but after reading all those bad reviews on CalPac, my wife completely lost interest. I still went ahead with the pre-qual, but Loandepot asked for my financial statements, so I told them I'd pass. I don't feel comfortable submitting financial statements unless I'm actually getting a loan.

CalBears96 said:
bkimxmd said:

I'll concede that floorplans are personal preference. For me, Bluffs and Highland floorplans are far superior to Sierra.

As for quality that I referred, it has to do with design center (upgrade materials, I guess you could call it) and after-close customer service. Again, this is just my opinion based on reviews I've read.

We were interested in Sierra 2X as a backup for Bluffs/Highland, but after reading all those bad reviews on CalPac, my wife completely lost interest. I still went ahead with the pre-qual, but Loandepot asked for my financial statements, so I told them I'd pass. I don't feel comfortable submitting financial statements unless I'm actually getting a loan.

Yeah, I wasn?t too thrilled about that either.  It what can you do?  Their product, their rules.  I had a preapproval through Navy Fed  while looking for resales.  The bluffs and hillside took them, but the highlands made me get a preapproval through their preferred lender like Sierra.

These preferred lenders are just local loan officers and not a finance company tied to the builders. 

Last time I bought a house it was through NV HOMES.  that time they offered all types of incentives and full closing cost paid if you used their lender, NV mortgage. 

Didn?t really understand why I need to get a pre approval with someone they refer just to get in waitlists and why highlands wanted something different than the bluffs or hillside.  Aren?t they all Irvine pacific?

I think I read the same reviews.  I typically take bad reviews with a grain of salt.  People love to post their bad experiences online right away and they are always sided IMO.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and good luck with your purchase.  We will get to see the model homes this weekend before we sign.  Hoping everything looks good. 

bkimxmd said:
CalBears96 said:
bkimxmd said:

Yeah, I wasn?t too thrilled about that either.  It what can you do?  Their product, their rules.  I had a preapproval through Navy Fed  while looking for resales.  The bluffs and hillside took them, but the highlands made me get a preapproval through their preferred lender like Sierra.

These preferred lenders are just local loan officers and not a finance company tied to the builders. 

Last time I bought a house it was through NV HOMES.  that time they offered all types of incentives and full closing cost paid if you used their lender, NV mortgage. 

Didn?t really understand why I need to get a pre approval with someone they refer just to get in waitlists and why highlands wanted something different than the bluffs or hillside.  Aren?t they all Irvine pacific?

I think I read the same reviews.  I typically take bad reviews with a grain of salt.  People love to post their bad experiences online right away and they are always sided IMO.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and good luck with your purchase.  We will get to see the model homes this weekend before we sign.  Hoping everything looks good. 

Robin told me that the models won't be open until Dec. 11th, did they tell you that you can see the models this weekend?

bkimxmd said:

I hope the upgraded options are to your liking. It's $40k worth of upgrades.

Yeah so at the preview, they told us the same thing.  But today she said we would be able to see them on Sunday when we drop off the check.  They set up 90 minutes for this upcoming appointment.

bkimxmd said:
Yeah so at the preview, they told us the same thing.  But today she said we would be able to see them on Sunday when we drop off the check.  They set up 90 minutes for this upcoming appointment.

I'm out of town this weekend in Vegas visiting my dad but I'll go take a look at the homes when I get back next week.

bkimxmd said:
CalBears96 said:
Davidlee199 said:

Builders will not build any SFR less than $2M 10 yrs from now, just like they no longer building any 3 car garage homes.

Any news on the development on dreamcatcher?  I spoke with reps from Highland and what they told me 1-2 month is it's bigger lot for SFR.  I like the location a little bit better because it's further away from the wilderness near 241 in case of brush fires again.

CalBears96 said:
Davidlee199 said:

I'm not sure about the difference in quality. I agree part of that perception might come from the number and level of options. Cal Pac options are kept very basic, but you can get mostly what you want aside from some greater limitations, in my opinion, on backsplash/shower tiles. In addition, the exterior stucco, brick, and masonry work (running on the vertical exterior walls) appear to be rock solid on close-up inspection of Irvine Pacific houses. In contrast, a knock on Cal Pac is they use a weaker stucco finish coat (the most exterior layer) that is easily broken apart when, for example, large and heavy Amazon packages are left leaning against it.

As for the floor plans, I am absolutely resolute when I suggest that Cal Pac floor plans are, in general, superior across the board--superior to Irvine Pacific and Toll Brothers when looking at 1800 to 2500 sq ft. Even though Cal Pac has never had a floor plan in the 2500 sq ft range prior to Sierra, I can say that their Montara Plan 3 (except for the Shea-like super short 2nd floor hallway), Celeste Plan 4 and 4x, and Talise Plan 3 and 4 are all superior or mostly superior to anything Irvine Pacific or Toll Brothers has done in the 2500 sq ft range. And so I was, after my initial disappointment with the orientation of the Sierra Plan 3 kitchen island (which I later felt was ok if not ideal), not surprised to conclude that Sierra, whose floor plans are all in or close to the 2500 sq ft range, was mostly superior to Irvine Pacific. Let me be specific. The Bluffs Plan 2 is a conventional and mostly unflawed floor plan, except the dining room to great room intersection is not a true L shape. The negativity is mostly muted because the dining area is large enough, but the somewhat blended nature of the dining area and great room lacks a psychological separation AND creates a sense that the great room is far away yet not in a distinctly separate room/location. A simple way to put it all together is that there seems to be a large amount of "no man's land" in the area between the dining and great rooms. You might say that the Sierra Plan 3 has a similar flaw, but notice that its great room is pushed to the right of the kitchen rather than vertically outward from the kitchen. And it's true that the Sierra Plan 3 also fails to complete a bonafide L shape because it doesn't push the dining room farther out (as Shea typically does), but it still suffers less of a "dead" space effect in-between.

The Bluffs Plan 2 takes a page out of the Cal Pac and Toll Brother play book with its 20-ft 2nd floor overlook from the loft into the great room. However, why would Irvine Pacific use a ceiling that slopes downward as you move away from the loft? It creates a claustrophobic feel. God knows you must have thought to yourself about the overlook ceiling, right? Cal Pac and Toll Brothers use a conventional level ceiling line to extend the horizontal-vertical space. There is no positive reason to slope that ceiling downward, because it's not like it's a 25-ft ceiling and a super long great room.

But would I be happy with the Bluffs Plan 2? Yes, absolutely! It has everything you want/need, along with a nice long entryway before you get to the dining and great rooms. The Sierra Plans 2 and 3 have horizontal "squatted" entryways, which is a space-saver technique (read: compromise). And even though the Plan 1 has a more conventional vertical entryway, it's got the staircase right next to the front door, a no-no in my psychology book.

CogNeuroSci said:
CalBears96 said:
Davidlee199 said:

I'm not sure about the difference in quality. I agree part of that perception might come from the number and level of options. Cal Pac options are kept very basic, but you can get mostly what you want aside from some greater limitations, in my opinion, on backsplash/shower tiles. In addition, the exterior stucco, brick, and masonry work (running on the vertical exterior walls) appear to be rock solid on close-up inspection of Irvine Pacific houses. In contrast, a knock on Cal Pac is they use a weaker stucco finish coat (the most exterior layer) that is easily broken apart when, for example, large and heavy Amazon packages are left leaning against it.

As for the floor plans, I am absolutely resolute when I suggest that Cal Pac floor plans are, in general, superior across the board--superior to Irvine Pacific and Toll Brothers when looking at 1800 to 2500 sq ft. Even though Cal Pac has never had a floor plan in the 2500 sq ft range prior to Sierra, I can say that their Montara Plan 3 (except for the Shea-like super short 2nd floor hallway), Celeste Plan 4 and 4x, and Talise Plan 3 and 4 are all superior or mostly superior to anything Irvine Pacific or Toll Brothers has done in the 2500 sq ft range. And so I was, after my initial disappointment with the orientation of the Sierra Plan 3 kitchen island (which I later felt was ok if not ideal), not surprised to conclude that Sierra, whose floor plans are all in or close to the 2500 sq ft range, was mostly superior to Irvine Pacific. Let me be specific. The Bluffs Plan 2 is a conventional and mostly unflawed floor plan, except the dining room to great room intersection is not a true L shape. The negativity is mostly muted because the dining area is large enough, but the somewhat blended nature of the dining area and great room lacks a psychological separation AND creates a sense that the great room is far away yet not in a distinctly separate room/location. A simple way to put it all together is that there seems to be a large amount of "no man's land" in the area between the dining and great rooms. You might say that the Sierra Plan 3 has a similar flaw, but notice that its great room is pushed to the right of the kitchen rather than vertically outward from the kitchen. And it's true that the Sierra Plan 3 also fails to complete a bonafide L shape because it doesn't push the dining room farther out (as Shea typically does), but it still suffers less of a "dead" space effect in-between.

The Bluffs Plan 2 takes a page out of the Cal Pac and Toll Brother play book with its 20-ft 2nd floor overlook from the loft into the great room. However, why would Irvine Pacific use a ceiling that slopes downward as you move away from the loft? It creates a claustrophobic feel. God knows you must have thought to yourself about the overlook ceiling, right? Cal Pac and Toll Brothers use a conventional level ceiling line to extend the horizontal-vertical space. There is no positive reason to slope that ceiling downward, because it's not like it's a 25-ft ceiling and a super long great room.

But would I be happy with the Bluffs Plan 2? Yes, absolutely! It has everything you want/need, along with a nice long entryway before you get to the dining and great rooms. The Sierra Plans 2 and 3 have horizontal "squatted" entryways, which is a space-saver technique (read: compromise). And even though the Plan 1 has a more conventional vertical entryway, it's got the staircase right next to the front door, a no-no in my psychology book.

Let me express my opinion in a short way, I would take Highland over Sierra model 3 anytime. I think it?s FUGLY.
1) Side entry instead of the front. Big inconvenience and bad design. Feel like a condo instead of sfr.
2) Kitchen with island and dining area are very cramped.  I hate small island with the sink anyways. Messy and  not hygienic.
3) Home is not rain proof. 🤓

Back