motor court garbage

SoCal said:
Irvinecommuter said:
My issue with Tustin Ranch/West Irvine is the lack of commercial space.  Tons of residential but you need to drive to get to a shopping area.  Same issue with Portola Springs.  SG and Woodbury are well-located with the shopping center with a Ralphs and Trader Joes.

Ever heard of a bicycle?

People who buy in the new communities tell themselves they're going to have a picturesque pedestrian lifestyle as is displayed in the brochure. The reality is nobody goes grocery shopping without their car. They may walk to the mailbox but that's about it.

Yes...but I am not peddling 2 miles with my daughter either in Columbus Grove or PS to Woodbury.  You may not walk to shopping it happens.  I see plenty of people walking in Woodbury to the shopping center.  We did it when we were living in Woodbury.

homer_simpson said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I actually agree with Irvinecommuter on Irvine's diversity... it's more diverse than most south county cities, including Foothill Ranch.

It may not be as diverse as some north county cities, but it's up there... and if you do take in the socia-economic implications coupled with the "safety", it's probably as close as you can get to balance everything else.

Someone name the an OC city with the same RE values, same schools, same safety, same variety of food, same number of pick up basketball courts with more diversity. :)

Fountain valley?

Fountain Valley has good school but not Irvine level.  It also doesn't have the same level ethnic markets as Irvine...RE Values are definitely not the same.

Starlight East said:
SoCal said:
People who buy in the new communities tell themselves they're going to have a picturesque pedestrian lifestyle as is displayed in the brochure. The reality is nobody goes grocery shopping without their car. They may walk to the mailbox but that's about it.

Oh really? We are walking to Trader Joe's /Ralphs/Tutti Frutti multiple times per week and I can see a lot of other people doing it too.  We are enjoying the picturesque pedestrian lifestyle.

You probably run into me as I'm always doing this with my wife and kid....and I do this even though I also have an EV car.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Starlight East said:
Irvinecommuter said:
I like Irvine because it is "clean", low-crime, good mix of commercial/residential, diverse people and business, and great weather. 

I am anxiously awaiting the response of our Tustin Legacy and Lake Forest residents how the weather, crime rate and diversity is so much better at their places.

no argument from me. our posts just crossed. i was agreeing with irvine commuter. ive always agreed that irvine has a lot going for it, we rented there for four years. it just seemed that as more new construction went up, the more they charged and the less you got. so i didnt like the value you received.  with that said, it is a little cooler on the west side of jamboree than it is on the east side which makes my dog walks more enjoyable in tustin than in irvine. crime really isnt an issue for me, got a 45 waiting for any unwanted visitors. my neighborhood has one mexican living in it so that does automatically make it more diverse than irvine  :)

My issue with Tustin Ranch/West Irvine is the lack of commercial space.  Tons of residential but you need to drive to get to a shopping area.  Same issue with Portola Springs.  SG and Woodbury are well-located with the shopping center with a Ralphs and Trader Joes.

No commercial space by Tustin Ranch/West Irvine?  Then what the heck is Tustin Marketplace....it's mostly all retail from Irvine Blvd all the way down to the 5 Freeway off Jamboree.  Better commercial/retail access than I had over in Quail Hill or Oak Creek.

1)  I didn't say anything about QH or Oak Creek.  Those community are intentionally isolated ala Laguna Altura. 

2)  I am focused on the driving part.  According to Google map, the closest grocery market to Columbus Grove/Square is the Ranch 99 on Walnut, which is 1.5 miles away by car, the Costco/Whole Foods in the District and the Albertson on Alton/Culver are about 2.6 miles away by car.  None which is walkable or really bikable with children. 

has anyone thought about getting a golf cart to go from say stonegate to the woodbury town center?

qwerty said:
has anyone thought about getting a golf cart to go from say stonegate to the woodbury town center?

and get hit by one of those Asian women drivers wearing their huge hats...no thanks!

I think the practical walking limit is about 1 mile one way, door to door. Maybe a mile and a half.  With a limit of about two controlled light crossings.

We currently walk often to the nearest center with restaurants, frozen yogurt and grocery.

nosuchreality said:
I think the practical walking limit is about 1 mile one way, door to door. Maybe a mile and a half.  With a limit of about two controlled light crossings.

We currently walk often to the nearest center with restaurants, frozen yogurt and grocery.

I would say that distance but round trip.

The terrain is also important.  To get from PS to Woodbury, you have a pass the 133 underpass and barren land.  Not something I would do with children.  Ditto for Columbus Grove/Columbus in that you have to go through pretty barren areas between residential areas.

Irvinecommuter said:
nosuchreality said:

I would say that distance but round trip.

The terrain is also important.  To get from PS to Woodbury, you have a pass the 133 underpass and barren land.  Not something I would do with children.  Ditto for Columbus Grove/Columbus in that you have to go through pretty barren areas between residential areas.

Yes, you need a sidewalk and hopefully landscaping.  IMHO, something Irvine does very right.  Curved paths, off the street for walkability.  Old school sidewalks adjacent to the street feel very exposed when cars fly by at 40, 50, or 60 mph.

I'm agreeing with Irvinecommuter (again!) about the distance of shopping from Portola Springs, it's not that close.

For those using Google Maps as proof that it's not as far as we think, you actually have to live there as a resident and do that drive weekly to understand how inconvenient it is. That's the big cons of PS (and Lambert Ranch) right now, no 3rd place, no nearby schools. This will change once they build that center to the east off of Portola (and why they built the Orchard Hills center BEFORE that one is beyond me).

Homie gets assaulted because he smells like fruit.

Irvinecommuter said:
homer_simpson said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I actually agree with Irvinecommuter on Irvine's diversity... it's more diverse than most south county cities, including Foothill Ranch.

It may not be as diverse as some north county cities, but it's up there... and if you do take in the socia-economic implications coupled with the "safety", it's probably as close as you can get to balance everything else.

Someone name the an OC city with the same RE values, same schools, same safety, same variety of food, same number of pick up basketball courts with more diversity. :)

Fountain valley?

Fountain Valley has good school but not Irvine level.  It also doesn't have the same level ethnic markets as Irvine...RE Values are definitely not the same.

Fountain Valley has the Japanese markets at Brookhurst & Garfield, 99 Ranch and Green Farm market on Magnolia, and various Vietnamese shops on the north side of town bordering Little Saigon.  Of course, by ethnic I assume you mean Asian.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm agreeing with Irvinecommuter (again!) about the distance of shopping from Portola Springs, it's not that close.

For those using Google Maps as proof that it's not as far as we think, you actually have to live there as a resident and do that drive weekly to understand how inconvenient it is.

You haven't lived there. I have. I lived in Portola Springs for 3 years. I did my shopping at Woodbury Town Center. *Gasp* I've even walked there... on foot!! True story.

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:

For those using Google Maps as proof that it's not as far as we think, you actually have to live there as a resident and do that drive weekly to understand how inconvenient it is.

You haven't lived there. I have. I lived in Portola Springs for 3 years. I did my shopping at Woodbury Town Center. *Gasp* I've even walked there... on foot!! True story.
So was it convenient? How long did it take you to walk there?

And by the way... for someone who didn't take kindly to snark... you're kind of shoveling some yourself (hard to believe you accused someone of drinking while TI'ing).

Irvinecommuter said:
Yes...but I am not peddling 2 miles with my daughter either in Columbus Grove or PS to Woodbury.  You may not walk to shopping it happens.  I see plenty of people walking in Woodbury to the shopping center.  We did it when we were living in Woodbury.

Yesterday it was 1.3 miles. Today it's 2 miles. Will it be 4 miles tomorrow?

After thinking about it more, I've realized you're right. This benefit alone should make Stonegate worth at least an extra, what, $275k?? I think that's fair. After all... it's only money.

Taking a child for a bike ride is tantamount to child abuse. I don't know what I was thinking. Children do not enjoy bike rides. Bicycle baskets are not handy for transporting groceries. Having her walk and carry the milk jug makes more sense. I apologize. I am not an experienced parent like you. I have only been doing it for 10 years.

irvinehomeowner said:
And by the way... for someone who didn't take kindly to snark... you're kind of shoveling some yourself (hard to believe you accused someone of drinking while TI'ing).

Ridiculous, Iho. Do you take everything so literally? As you would say: "Face palm". Serious Koolaid intoxication. Puppy love infatuation stage.

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Ridiculous, Iho. Do you take everything so literally? As you would say: "Face palm". Serious Koolaid intoxication. Puppy love infatuation stage.
Always harder to view yourself from the outside... if you don't think you've been a little harsh on certain people here... oh well.

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Always harder to view yourself from the outside... if you don't think you've been a little harsh on certain people here... oh well.

I guess we can't all be as perfect as you are.  :'(

Back