motor court garbage

To be fair, the problem with density isn't isolated to Irvine.  I feel similarly about my home town of Huntington Beach.  In the 1980's, it was a laid back, sleepy beach town that people with blue collar backgrounds could afford to buy into.  But similar to Irvine, the HB city council has been beholden to developers for decades now, and they've made the city gradually worse with every project over the past 25 years.  They're now building thousands of apartments near Beach Blvd. and the 405 in an area that already has some of the worst traffic in the city.

Irvinecommuter said:
I like Irvine because it is "clean", low-crime, good mix of commercial/residential, diverse people and business, and great weather.  Being Asian, I have enjoyed watching the increase in Asian business especially Diamond Jamborees and the Korean markets. 

I also enjoy the master planned parts of Irvine with its parks and nice looking homes.  I have not been here nearly as long as many of you but I remember it pre-Woodbury and that community is now a part of Irvine.  Same could be said for Northpark or Northpark Square, etc.  Traffic is not great but it goes with a growing community.

I think Irvine is great place to raise a family otherwise I wouldn't pay such a high premium to live here.

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
My issue with Tustin Ranch/West Irvine is the lack of commercial space.  Tons of residential but you need to drive to get to a shopping area.  Same issue with Portola Springs.  SG and Woodbury are well-located with the shopping center with a Ralphs and Trader Joes.

columbus square has the same issue. we still go to the ralphs on jamboree or culver/walnut.  i have to disagree that PS doesnt have shopping close by.  from the corner of portola parkway and ridgevalley to the ralphs in woodbury is 1.9 miles and a 5 minute drive according to google maps.

No matter how many times it's mentioned, he doesn't want to see that Stonegate and Portola Springs share an intersection. I think it's a lost cause.

SoCal said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
My issue with Tustin Ranch/West Irvine is the lack of commercial space.  Tons of residential but you need to drive to get to a shopping area.  Same issue with Portola Springs.  SG and Woodbury are well-located with the shopping center with a Ralphs and Trader Joes.

columbus square has the same issue. we still go to the ralphs on jamboree or culver/walnut.  i have to disagree that PS doesnt have shopping close by.  from the corner of portola parkway and ridgevalley to the ralphs in woodbury is 1.9 miles and a 5 minute drive according to google maps.

No matter how many times it's mentioned, he doesn't want to see that Stonegate and Portola Springs share an intersection. I think it's a lost cause.

Seriously...they may share an intersection but the way Portola is structured, you have to go out on Arrowhead which is about 0.5 miles down.  Also, the way the streets are set up, you have to take car to get in and out of PS.  I can walk with my kid through SG to get to the Woodbury shopping center. 

Google map has 0.6 from Saratoga to Traders Joe's while it's 1.3 miles from Arrowhead/Portola to Trader Joes...not including the distance from where you are in PS to Arrowhead/Portola.

qwerty said:
yeah i think diverse in irvine means many ethnicities of the asian race.

I think the way the media/politicians use the word "diversity" it means non-white.  Obviously, many people take their cue from that and use the term similarly.

Liar Loan said:
qwerty said:

I think the way the media/politicians use the word "diversity" it means non-white.  Obviously, many people take their cue from that and use the term similarly.

How do you define diversity?  Where in OC do you consider to be more diverse than Irvine?

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:

That's not a walkable distance...not even factoring in the terrain/location.  I would have no qualms about walking with my daughter around sunset to go to Woodbury when I am in SG...not so if I am in PS.

Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:
qwerty said:

How do you define diversity?  Where in OC do you consider to be more diverse than Irvine?

Garden Grove is the most diverse in terms of Asian, White, and Hispanic that I can think of.

Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:
qwerty said:

Garden Grove is the most diverse in terms of Asian, White, and Hispanic that I can think of.

Agreed but the fact that Irvine is not Garden Grove does not make it non-diverse.

Make-up of Garden Grove:

The 2010 United States Census[5] reported that Garden Grove had a population of 170,883. The population density was 9,515.3 people per square mile (3,673.9/km?). The racial makeup of Garden Grove was 68,149 (39.9%) White, 2,155 (1.3%) African American, 983 (0.6%) Native American, 63,451 (37.1%) Asian, 1,110 (0.6%) Pacific Islander, 28,916 (16.9%) from other races, and 6,119 (3.6%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 63,079 persons (36.9%)

Isn't PS and LR getting their own town center area?  I thought I saw a sign stating something about a future development.

Diversity Topic- I just want to be around people who share the same values, morals, and ethics as I have.

Edit: I guess the five minutes I spent hyperlinking city-data diversity graphs doesn't want to work.

Irvine isn't normally what people think of when they think of diversity, probably because socio-economically everybody is middle class, upper middle class, or wealthy.  You need some poor people and blue collar people to really be diverse.  Garden Grove has all of the above.

Liar Loan said:
Irvine isn't normally what people think of when they think of diversity, probably because socio-economically everybody is middle class, upper middle class, or wealthy.  You need some poor people and blue collar people to really be diverse.  Garden Grove has all of the above.

Fair enough...it's not as socio-economically diverse as places like Garden Grove or Santa Ana.  GG and SA, however, are predominantly working class while Irvine is pre-dominately upper middle class.  But Irvine is certainly no less diverse economically than Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Ladera Ranch or RSM.

irvinehomeowner said:
homer_simpson said:
Are the Mexicans next??  Because they are due!
They don't need to live in Irvine... because they control Irvine and every other city in SoCal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8t8DCSP020[/youtube]

(props to qwerter the overlord)

This video made me laugh so bad ...

I actually agree with Irvinecommuter on Irvine's diversity... it's more diverse than most south county cities, including Foothill Ranch.

It may not be as diverse as some north county cities, but it's up there... and if you do take in the socia-economic implications coupled with the "safety", it's probably as close as you can get to balance everything else.

Someone name the an OC city with the same RE values, same schools, same safety, same variety of food, same number of pick up basketball courts with more diversity. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I actually agree with Irvinecommuter on Irvine's diversity... it's more diverse than most south county cities, including Foothill Ranch.

It may not be as diverse as some north county cities, but it's up there... and if you do take in the socia-economic implications coupled with the "safety", it's probably as close as you can get to balance everything else.

Someone name the an OC city with the same RE values, same schools, same safety, same variety of food, same number of pick up basketball courts with more diversity. :)

Fountain valley?

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Starlight East said:
Irvinecommuter said:
I like Irvine because it is "clean", low-crime, good mix of commercial/residential, diverse people and business, and great weather. 

I am anxiously awaiting the response of our Tustin Legacy and Lake Forest residents how the weather, crime rate and diversity is so much better at their places.

no argument from me. our posts just crossed. i was agreeing with irvine commuter. ive always agreed that irvine has a lot going for it, we rented there for four years. it just seemed that as more new construction went up, the more they charged and the less you got. so i didnt like the value you received.  with that said, it is a little cooler on the west side of jamboree than it is on the east side which makes my dog walks more enjoyable in tustin than in irvine. crime really isnt an issue for me, got a 45 waiting for any unwanted visitors. my neighborhood has one mexican living in it so that does automatically make it more diverse than irvine  :)

No commercial space by Tustin Ranch/West Irvine?  Then what the heck is Tustin Marketplace....it's mostly all retail from Irvine Blvd all the way down to the 5 Freeway off Jamboree.  Better commercial/retail access than I had over in Quail Hill or Oak Creek. 

Argh! The delete-thanks isn't working still.

Irvine Commuter, I accidentally gave you a thanks. I don't mean it and I hereby take it back.

Irvinecommuter said:

Ever heard of a bicycle?

People who buy in the new communities tell themselves they're going to have a picturesque pedestrian lifestyle as is displayed in the brochure. The reality is nobody goes grocery shopping without their car. They may walk to the mailbox but that's about it.

irvinehomeowner said:
homer_simpson said:
Fountain valley?
I think it fails the "safety" test... some guy got assaulted at Miles Square Park playing pick-up basketball.

I got assaulted playing bball at Irvine... I've seen kids smoke weed at Settler's park while playing ball.  I think it's everywhere..

Back