motor court garbage

man - just saw that my quote became homer's tag line. that is what im talking about. impacting people one day at a time!

The California Court Company said:
The demand for Irvine houses are so high and you cannot really blame TIC for trying to build with higher density - it is business after all.

i agree. you can blame customers like irvine commuter for willing to accept so little for so much.  that was the first and last time i have ever heard anyone complain that he was glad they didnt have a driveway cause it would have messed with the interior layout of the house.  to this day i am not sure how TIC has managed to convince him to believe that.

qwerty said:
The California Court Company said:
The demand for Irvine houses are so high and you cannot really blame TIC for trying to build with higher density - it is business after all.

i agree. you can blame customers like irvine commuter for willing to accept so little for so much.  that was the first and last time i have ever heard anyone complain that he was glad they didnt have a driveway cause it would have messed with the interior layout of the house.  to this day i am not sure how TIC has managed to convince him to believe that.

That's not what I said.  I said that I didn't care for Mendocino because the layout of the house was compromised because they were trying to fit a driveway into a confined space.  I would love to have a driveway but it's beyond my price point. 

I said that I didn't care for a yard although additional set back would be nice.  Again, price point.

Irvine was better 20 years ago.  It was even better 40 years ago, but most of you couldn't imagine living in that place. 

Maybe this has been discussed before, but when did Irvine throw master-planning out the window?

FCB Bug Spray said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Mexicans are everywhere....everywhere.

I've been seeing the Korean population really multiplying.  I remember before the Rodney Key King incident and riots, alot of the Korean population and Korean store fronts were in LA- Koreantown.  Now, they moved into all of suburbia - Torrance, BP, Cerritos, etc, it's rare to drive through a city and not see a store front clustered in Korean writing.

For places that were once dumps like parts of LA - Koreatown, the Koreans have really cleaned it up.

Eventually, So Cal will be all Mexi and Koreans.

Remember to spay and neuter your pets.

Kia Corporate HQ in Irvine, Hyundai design center in Irvine.  Brought all the Koreans in.  Plus all the rave review of the school system brought more Koreans in. 

Liar Loan said:
Irvine was better 20 years ago.  It was even better 40 years ago, but most of you couldn't imagine living in that place. 

Maybe this has been discussed before, but when did Irvine throw master-planning out the window?

40 Years ago, Jeffrey was a dirt road into lemon groves.  There were two air bases that were still in full swing.  Now everyone is complaining of the plume! 

If you really didn't care for dense living, Corona, Riverside, Moreno Valley all have enormous land for half the price.  That extra 15 minutes of commuting to move to Ledera Ranch or RSM prevented me to move further up the hill was enough for me to say I'll take my chances in Irvine.

Liar Loan said:

Based upon what criteria?  More open space and less density...but also less shopping options and less diversity.

Irvinecommuter said:
Based upon what criteria?  More open space and less density...but also less shopping options and less diversity.

Everybody has their own criteria.  My criteria is based on the density level of the mid 80's to late 90's.  What a great town Irvine once was!

Less shopping options and less diversity could be said of nearly any OC city 20 years ago.  Is that what makes Irvine great in your mind?

Liar Loan said:

I think I've figured out the answer to my own question.  When did they build the first pocket park?

Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Everybody has their own criteria.  My criteria is based on the density level of the mid 80's to late 90's.  What a great town Irvine once was!

Less shopping options and less diversity could be said of nearly any OC city 20 years ago.  Is that what makes Irvine great in your mind?

Liar Loan said:

I think I've figured out the answer to my own question.  When did they build the first pocket park?

I like Irvine because it is "clean", low-crime, good mix of commercial/residential, diverse people and business, and great weather.  Being Asian, I have enjoyed watching the increase in Asian business especially Diamond Jamborees and the Korean markets. 

I also enjoy the master planned parts of Irvine with its parks and nice looking homes.  I have not been here nearly as long as many of you but I remember it pre-Woodbury and that community is now a part of Irvine.  Same could be said for Northpark or Northpark Square, etc.  Traffic is not great but it goes with a growing community.

I think Irvine is great place to raise a family otherwise I wouldn't pay such a high premium to live here.

Irvinecommuter said:
I like Irvine because it is "clean", low-crime, good mix of commercial/residential, diverse people and business, and great weather. 
How is Irvine diverse?  Irvine is mainly Asian and White, and with every passing day, more and more Asian.  That's not diverse, that's one dimensional.  I love Irvine also, but let's call a spade a spade.  Other qualifiers I agree with plus you can add well regarded school district which is one of the main reasons Irvine is so Asian.

OCgasman said:
Irvinecommuter said:
I like Irvine because it is "clean", low-crime, good mix of commercial/residential, diverse people and business, and great weather. 
How is Irvine diverse?  Irvine is mainly Asian and White, and with every passing day, more and more Asian.  That's not diverse, that's one dimensional.  I love Irvine also, but let's call a spade a spade.  Other qualifiers I agree with plus you can add well regarded school district which is one of the main reasons Irvine is so Asian.

It's not perfect.  But there are significant populations of Chinese, Koreans, Persian, Indians and Caucasians. 

This is a pretty decent breakdown:

The racial makeup of the city is 61.1% White, 1.5% Black or African American, 0.2% Native American, 29.8% Asian, 1.1% Pacific Islander, 2.5% from other races, and 4.8% from two or more races. 7.4% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Irvinecommuter said:
I like Irvine because it is "clean", low-crime, good mix of commercial/residential, diverse people and business, and great weather.  Being Asian, I have enjoyed watching the increase in Asian business especially Diamond Jamborees and the Korean markets. 

I also enjoy the master planned parts of Irvine with its parks and nice looking homes.  I have not been here nearly as long as many of you but I remember it pre-Woodbury and that community is now a part of Irvine.  Same could be said for Northpark or Northpark Square, etc.  Traffic is not great but it goes with a growing community.

I think Irvine is great place to raise a family otherwise I wouldn't pay such a high premium to live here.

i would have to agree with the cleanliness and well manicured look of irvine. it is hard to argue that the look, as cookie cutter as it may be, is not superior to most places. i drive into columbus square and it is just a two lane street. in all the new irvine villages (i think) each entrance has a median with two lanes of traffic on each side of the median, it looks more grand and greener because of it.

Starlight East said:
Irvinecommuter said:

I am anxiously awaiting the response of our Tustin Legacy and Lake Forest residents how the weather, crime rate and diversity is so much better at their places.

no argument from me. our posts just crossed. i was agreeing with irvine commuter. ive always agreed that irvine has a lot going for it, we rented there for four years. it just seemed that as more new construction went up, the more they charged and the less you got. so i didnt like the value you received.  with that said, it is a little cooler on the west side of jamboree than it is on the east side which makes my dog walks more enjoyable in tustin than in irvine. crime really isnt an issue for me, got a 45 waiting for any unwanted visitors. my neighborhood has one mexican living in it so that does automatically make it more diverse than irvine  :)

qwerty said:
Starlight East said:
Irvinecommuter said:

I am anxiously awaiting the response of our Tustin Legacy and Lake Forest residents how the weather, crime rate and diversity is so much better at their places.

no argument from me. our posts just crossed. i was agreeing with irvine commuter. ive always agreed that irvine has a lot going for it, we rented there for four years. it just seemed that as more new construction went up, the more they charged and the less you got. so i didnt like the value you received.  with that said, it is a little cooler on the west side of jamboree than it is on the east side which makes my dog walks more enjoyable in tustin than in irvine. crime really isnt an issue for me, got a 45 waiting for any unwanted visitors. my neighborhood has one mexican living in it so that does automatically make it more diverse than irvine  :)

My issue with Tustin Ranch/West Irvine is the lack of commercial space.  Tons of residential but you need to drive to get to a shopping area.  Same issue with Portola Springs.  SG and Woodbury are well-located with the shopping center with a Ralphs and Trader Joes.

qwerty said:
Starlight East said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Great, there goes my home value.  :(

Irvinecommuter said:
My issue with Tustin Ranch/West Irvine is the lack of commercial space.  Tons of residential but you need to drive to get to a shopping area.  Same issue with Portola Springs.  SG and Woodbury are well-located with the shopping center with a Ralphs and Trader Joes.

columbus square has the same issue. we still go to the ralphs on jamboree or culver/walnut.  i have to disagree that PS doesnt have shopping close by.  from the corner of portola parkway and ridgevalley to the ralphs in woodbury is 1.9 miles and a 5 minute drive according to google maps.

Starlight East said:

Actually, I wasn't going to say anything since it's pointless trying to talk to someone as intoxicated as Irvine commuter but now that you mention it -- I was shocked by his comment about how "diverse" Irvine is. Oh, yes. Those grand openings sure look diverse. If by diverse he means at least 10 different cities of the same nation are represented. I've lived it for years. Been there, done that. He can go ahead and blow smoke about how diverse it is(n't).  ::)

SoCal said:
Starlight East said:

Actually, I wasn't going to say anything since it's pointless trying to talk to someone as intoxicated as Irvine commuter but now that you mention it -- I was shocked by his comment about how "diverse" Irvine is. Oh, yes. Those grand openings sure look diverse. If by diverse he means at least 10 different cities of the same nation are represented. I've lived it for years. Been there, done that. He can go ahead and blow smoke about how diverse it is(n't).  ::)

No, it's not the United Nations but almost every community has 2-3 "major" races...Garden Grove is predominantly Korean/Vietnamese/Latino Anaheim is mostly Latino/White, Santa Ana is also mostly Latino/White.  Irvine is a lot more diverse than Newport, RSM, San Clemente, Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo. 

Geez, just because it's not perfect doesn't make it bad.  What is your idea of a "good city" then?

I am not sure how I am "intoxicated"  I am fully aware of the things I have to give up in order to live in Irvine.  I could spend less money and go to other communities but I choose not to. 

Back