Land SE of PS/Altair (Modified: Environmental Concerns Broadly)

Thank you for sharing this. I'm sure everyone is tired of me, but PS is not what these forums make you believe it is. It's a nice neighborhood, among the other very nice villages in Irvine. It just deserves a little bit less criticism than what's said in these forums.

The few SFRs that Portola Springs has have some breathtaking views. Ours is similar in views and we only have neighbors to our left and right. Our row is elevated above the next row significantly (by 1 to 1.5 stories) and separated by a continuous row of 80-90 ft wide gardens, manicured and lighted meticulously by HOA. This, built after 2010 (which is what we wanted), didn't exist in any other village, except for OH, and for this, OH wanted at least 1.4 to 1.6 times the price.

I honestly can count, per minute, the number of cars on 241 in one hand, from 10 pm to 6 am. At rush hours, maybe it has 15-20 cars per minute passing by. This is what got me riled up, when 241 became the biggest source of hazard for PS in these forums, where arguably CV belongs to another galaxy when it comes to highway volume and proximity. The whole landfill / trash trucks / asphalt company / pesticide use / toxic plume / El Toro base affects the entire area one way or another, from OH to EW to SG to Woodbury to CV to GP to PP to Altair to PS. It's never ideal to be on the borders of the city, but that's life if you want newer construction within IUSD.

OCLuvr said:
PS pricing for all the haters; fresh from the boilers plate...$516/sq ft
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/37-Small-Grv-92618/home/7203551?utm_source=ios_share&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=copy_link&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

IIRC, Small Grove was YF?s only exception for buying in PS.

OCLuvr said:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/37-Small-Grv-92618/home/7203551?utm_source=ios_share&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=copy_link&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

Not sure who the haters are.  Just facts.  This CV home was sold also at $516/sq ft.  No large lot, no spectacular views.  There must be something else that people value that put this CV home at the same $/sqft as that premium-lot PS home. 
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/107-Island-Coral-92620/home/112723755

It's because PS is shoved into the extremities of Irvine & CV is closer to stuff.

zubs said:
It's because PS is shoved into the extremities of Irvine & CV is closer to stuff.

That's exactly my point.  People value things differently and it appears more people DO value proximity/central location over a bigger home.  For those that value a large home at a value price, PS works. 

But part of the cost of living in PS is hidden in higher MR & slightly higher HOAs (except for Mountaineer's subdivision).  Your average $400/sq ft PS home should really be valued between $380-390 after factoring all the added expenses that don't get added to your house price. 

And just to be clear...I like PS a lot.  We considered buying a home in PS, but decided some of the other villages are a better fit for us. 

paydawg said:
OCLuvr said:

Not sure who the haters are.  Just facts.  This CV home was sold also at $516/sq ft.  No large lot, no spectacular views.  There must be something else that people value that put this CV home at the same $/sqft as that premium-lot PS home. 
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/107-Island-Coral-92620/home/112723755

Here we go again.
OH home, at $462.
Wonder if OH is worse than CV? Not sure. Let me check the data or "facts". https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/73-Derby-92602/home/147965665

Or wait, PS Condo, at $547/sqfthttps://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/64-Latitude-92618/home/21933240

Or wait, similar sized PS condo, at $522/sqfthttps://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/155-Falcon-Rdg-92679/home/148425298

Wait, there must a be a reason people pay these prices for PS. Let me ponder. Oh, because PS is shoved in the extremities of Irvine.
The smaller the home, the higher than $/sqft.
Similar sized condo in PS is being sold at higher than your CV condo, as per above.

Are there cons for PS in your opinion?  ND, TI talking negatively is definitely one in your eyes, you talked about the pros, what are the cons?  There's always a compromise. 

**I want to remind you that the op asked specifically about this area and not other parts of Irvine. I answered appropriately to his question and will not write a book stating its worse or better elsewhere, you could go on forever doing that. I could have gone on to say Altair has absurdly high MR, yet that's not what the op asked.  A broad environmental concern is living near a toll road, is that a incorrect statement?  I'll say it another way, living further from the toll road is probably better than living closer to it. Better?

mountaineer said:
Thank you for sharing this. I'm sure everyone is tired of me, but PS is not what these forums make you believe it is. It's a nice neighborhood, among the other very nice villages in Irvine. It just deserves a little bit less criticism than what's said in these forums.

The few SFRs that Portola Springs has have some breathtaking views. Ours is similar in views and we only have neighbors to our left and right. Our row is elevated above the next row significantly (by 1 to 1.5 stories) and separated by a continuous row of 80-90 ft wide gardens, manicured and lighted meticulously by HOA. This, built after 2010 (which is what we wanted), didn't exist in any other village, except for OH, and for this, OH wanted at least 1.4 to 1.6 times the price.

I honestly can count, per minute, the number of cars on 241 in one hand, from 10 pm to 6 am. At rush hours, maybe it has 15-20 cars per minute passing by. This is what got me riled up, when 241 became the biggest source of hazard for PS in these forums, where arguably CV belongs to another galaxy when it comes to highway volume and proximity. The whole landfill / trash trucks / asphalt company / pesticide use / toxic plume / El Toro base affects the entire area one way or another, from OH to EW to SG to Woodbury to CV to GP to PP to Altair to PS. It's never ideal to be on the borders of the city, but that's life if you want newer construction within IUSD.

But how about the noise and air pollution at cv. Is there a cell tower there?

akkord said:
Are there cons for PS in your opinion?  ND, TI talking negatively is definitely one in your eyes, you talked about the pros, what are the cons?  There's always a compromise. 

**I want to remind you that the op asked specifically about this area and not other parts of Irvine. I answered appropriately to his question and will not write a book stating its worse or better elsewhere, you could go on forever doing that. I could have gone on to say Altair has absurdly high MR, yet that's not what the op asked.  A broad environmental concern is living near a toll road, is that a incorrect statement?  I'll say it another way, living further from the toll road is probably better than living closer to it. Better?

mountaineer said:

akkord said:

mountaineer said:

akkord: you're correct and factual. However, the bias in these forums, including how you manage to completely stay factual in order to not reveal your own bias against PS, is what's bothersome. You keep repeating you stand corrected, yet, the bias is unmistakably present in your statements. Bias, is a perceived phenomenon, and it's well perceived in these forums to be against PS, as repeated over and over again, when even limiting to this thread alone.

we all get it. I sifted through the data that SHOWED CLEARLY CV is selling higher than median price for any search criteria I did. CV is selling better than OH in the size of homes CV has. CV is selling better than QH. However, as USCTrojanCPA very brilliantly has pointed out, you CANNOT just keep simplifying the trends based on "PS is crap" "241 is near" "landfill this" to justify the trends in Irvine. CV is selling more because of other data points and other qualitative measures. Part of that may be the reputation, part of that may be the Asian community that simply prefers to be close together, part of that may be the proximity to certain Asian shops, etc. For example, my in-laws simply do not want to be in ANY VILLAGE including OH if the one and only criteria is not met: WALKING DISTANCE to a shopping mall.

All that gets me riled up is that you and others in these forums SIMPLIFY in the most dumb way the reasoning behind trends to "health hazards" and "extremes of Irvine". NorthPark used to extremes of Irvine, and look how central it is now.

mountaineer said:
This, built after 2010 (which is what we wanted), didn't exist in any other village, except for OH, and for this, OH wanted at least 1.4 to 1.6 times the price.

So PS was cheaper than OH for the type of home you wanted, got it!

akkord said:
mountaineer said:
This, built after 2010 (which is what we wanted), didn't exist in any other village, except for OH, and for this, OH wanted at least 1.4 to 1.6 times the price.

So PS was cheaper than OH for the type of home you wanted, got it!

Again, your attitude.

Look there's is not wrong with buying a home 1.4 to 1.6 times cheaper, but you're going on about bias on pricing...yet you yourself chose to buy a cheaper home which is exactly what some people are alluding to.

You also stated my comment triggered you so I'm here to defend myself, you start a brand new thread on negativity comments on PS and I would probably never have commented, I know numerous people that live in PS, I have nothing against it, but like I said if you draw me into a thread I'll keep on typing. 

My "attitude" only started after you stated my post below got to you. I had 0 attitude below, just a non bias statement to a question. 

akkord said:
peregrine said:
Are there any environmental concerns in Portola Springs other than an FBI shooting range to the south?

The only environmental concern is the Toll Road depending on how close the property is to it.

paydawg said:
zubs said:

That's exactly my point.  People value things differently and it appears more people DO value proximity/central location over a bigger home.  For those that value a large home at a value price, PS works. 

But part of the cost of living in PS is hidden in higher MR & slightly higher HOAs (except for Mountaineer's subdivision).  Your average $400/sq ft PS home should really be valued between $380-390 after factoring all the added expenses that don't get added to your house price. 

And just to be clear...I like PS a lot.  We considered buying a home in PS, but decided some of the other villages are a better fit for us.
https://www.redfin.com/city/9361/CA...,max-year-built=2016,hoa=300,include=sold-1yr

Let's try and look at this cut of sales:

-3 bedroom homes, built b/w 2014 and 2016, sold within the past year.  i also tried to select detached properties by filtering out any homes with HOA's > $300/month.

- It's a small sample size, but here are the results of those sales for PS, CV and OH:

- PS:  5 sales @ $359/sq ft (average days on market = 105)
- CV:  15 sales @ $472/sq ft (average days = 193)
- OH:  2 sales @ $594/sq ft (average days = 211)

Yeah, Trump also says he has no ill-will or attitude toward half the things he riles people up on. That doesn't absolve you of your clear bias. People hide in these forums and think they can type away whatever they want and remain uncontested. As it clearly has been the case, you've been contested not by me, but by others, and you just like to drown out being contested by staying "True to facts" about 241's health hazards.

You are in the fringes and extremes of the everyday life, hiding in these forums as your defense. If you wanted to have this conversation out in the open in person, you'd see how easily you'd be drowned out by others' responses. The reality is when in person, you'd out-loud tell someone 241 is the "main" health hazard of living in PS, people would burst out laughing and tell you to look at where you live, LA, OC, filled with highways and tell you to go live in Montana. That's the reality of the response you'd get. But here, you keep typing away one defense after another.

And somebody decided to not give you your uncontested forum anymore on this one topic.

paydawg said:
paydawg said:
zubs said:

https://www.redfin.com/city/9361/CA...,max-year-built=2016,hoa=300,include=sold-1yr

Let's try and look at this cut of sales:

-3 bedroom homes, built b/w 2014 and 2016, sold within the past year.  i also tried to select detached properties by filtering out any homes with HOA's > $300/month.

- It's a small sample size, but here are the results of those sales for PS, CV and OH:

- PS:  5 sales @ $359/sq ft (average days on market = 105)
- CV:  15 sales @ $472/sq ft (average days = 193)
- OH:  2 sales @ $594/sq ft (average days = 211)

Thanks. I did all this search and posted on prior pages. It clearly is obvious CV and OH price per sqft is higher than PS. But PS falls in the middle of the pack compared to GP to PP to Woodbury (slightly older), etc. No need to re-post the data I've posted. This is not a battle between CV sales and PS sales. There is no argument there. EW and SG sell better than CV even per my data.

And by the way, those search criteria are highly manicured and restrictive. Village performance is not based on such strict data collection. The search I did is much less restricted and lets the data speak for itself. And that's the other issue, is that people like to "slice" things however they want. This is clearly at play when people compare "TWO" singular sales, one from xyz village to one from abc village and start to make assumptions about the whole performance, ending the post with "well there must be a reason why someone paid this much for xyz house over abc house".

Let the data speak for itself and leave the restrictions out. Look at Condos on their own, sales in last 6 months, etc. Look at SFR on their own. I did that search. I clearly note and concede the trends, whatever they are, whether they're in favor of PS or not, whether they're in favor of Woodbury or not.

This is a not a village war thread. This is about the biases you all seem to repeat over and over again.

I honestly have nothing else to say. You win!

mountaineer said:
The reality is when in person, you'd out-loud tell someone 241 is the "main" health hazard of living in PS, people would burst out laughing and tell you to look at where you live, LA, OC, filled with highways and tell you to go live in Montana.

What's the main health hazard in PS if not the Toll Road since I'm being laughed at, you must have another opinion?  If all else equal would you pick the house closer to the Toll Road or further away?

I'm still waiting for your list of cons of PS?  You've addressed a bunch of my posts, but haven't my question yet. 

akkord said:
mountaineer said:
The reality is when in person, you'd out-loud tell someone 241 is the "main" health hazard of living in PS, people would burst out laughing and tell you to look at where you live, LA, OC, filled with highways and tell you to go live in Montana.

What's the main health hazard in PS if not the Toll Road since I'm being laughed at, you must have another opinion?  If all else equal would you pick the house closer to the Toll Road or further away?

I'm still waiting for your list of cons of PS?  You've addressed a bunch of my posts, but haven't my question yet.

Read all of my previous posts. Undesirable factors for PS are well documented by me. Done with replying to you. There is not a single point to prolong this. You've been laughed at by multiple people. Because you simply seem to forget the highway hazards of 405 and 5 bordering so many other villages. It's simple. It's purposefully turning a blind eye, and then defending yourself by "sticking with facts" and asking unnecessarily dump questions about "do I want to be closer to toll road or farther away". Let me think! I'll get back to you on that.

Back