Land SE of PS/Altair (Modified: Environmental Concerns Broadly)

Mety said:
IMHO, if TIC builds a Portola Springs Town Center, PS home prices will go skyrocket high. But I think they're doing some political play with GP so that 5P will build one. >:D
TIC tricked the PS buyers into anticipating the imminent opening of Portola Springs Town Center. Then they gave the land planned for Portola Springs Town Center to IUSD for an elementary school. Suckers.

I like PS. Almost bought there 5 different times.

My only complaint is how far it is but as you get older that?s not as much as an issue.

Maybe I will retire there. :)

Must have hit a nerve with @mountaineer, anyways there's been bashing on all villages on the forums, I've always hated on Eastwood, but Mety's Delano appreciated like crazy even though it's across from a trailer park =D, I think I've bashed all villages at some point on the forums, there's no perfect location, people will always find something wrong.

For the record I'm not even close to 1000 posts, in the real estate business, or a "professional poster"

As for living near a toll road/fwy/major street, I stand by that it's a health hazard, doesn't matter which Irvine village you live in, go back to my original post, I wrote it depends on how close your home is to the toll.  My quick google search gave me the below.  Is the 5 or 405 worse, yes, but the toll road isn't good for you either. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/11/...tied-to-developmental-delays-in-children.htmlhttps://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/healthy-air/outdoor/air-pollution/highways.htmlhttps://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/...-might-be-affecting-your-health/#1bc90d970175

I'd be curious to see if there is a correlation between living on busy streets and life expectancy of the residents.  While I don't deny the scientific findings, I think of people living along busy streets in places like San Francisco and Manhattan where bumper to bumper traffic is normal.  Hot exhaust gases tend to rise and, considering the density of such areas, would impact residents living multiple stories above ground.  A vehicle produces more exhaust gas accelerating from stop than coasting along a freeway.

mountaineer said:
Again - you're projecting completely skewed exaggerated "facts" about PS. The entire NORTHPARK neighborhood is within 250 meters of either 261, Portola Parkway, or Culver or Irvine Blvd. The entire place. And yet, Very few homes brush against the 250 meter perimeter from 241 in the Portola Springs. The remainder are much farther away than 250 meters.

Same with Laguna Altura. 100% of the neighborhood is within 180 meters of 133 where it actually has traffic going to Laguna. On the other side, most of the neighborhood is swallowed by the 250 perimeter of 405.

Go on and on, Quail Hill (most of it within 300 meters of 405 and 133), Cypress Village (no need to measure anything here), Eastwood (Portola Parkway, Irvine Blvd, Jeffrey literally border the place).

And yes, don't kid yourself and don't offer "delete post" blah blah. I don't need any deletion or adjustment of your posts. Go ahead and leave whatever you want. Posts in these forums DO end up putting fears into people's minds, and that's what's going on around the country, create fear (aka Fox News) and rule. And this is what you guys, the professional posters of these forums, are completely doing.

I also don't think the higher MR of PS truly changes the math equation that is $400/sqft vs ridiculous pricing that is Orchard Hills at $550/sqft. Truly? That's a 25-30% increase in the actual price of the home. Does PS truly has SUCH HIGH MR that it offsets the ridiculous pricing in OH or EW? Do the math for me and i'll gladly concede you're "right" on this one if the math truly works out the way you say it does.

Again, you're trying your best to prove your points. It's just not working out.

How much is MR and annual HOA at PS?  I'd like to see the math.

irvinehomeowner said:
I like PS. Almost bought there 5 different times.

My only complaint is how far it is but as you get older that?s not as much as an issue.

Maybe I will retire there. :)

Same here.  We almost bought in PS, but determined it was just too far.  I don't care how close In n Out in FR is...that's not how I choose a house location.  I need proximity to my job, everyday shopping, schools and kids' activities.  At the end of the day, PS didn't give me that.

Others may not value proximity/convenience as much as I do, so PS works out just fine.  To each their own. 

I'm not sure why Mountaineer is so upset. We looked at a lot of homes in and outside of Irvine and we found the best fit floorplan/budget/etc in PS. PS has it's pros and cons like any other neighborhood. I agree there can be a lot of negativity on here sometimes, but if you love your home and your neighborhood (as I know we and many others do), then it's all good! I don't think anything I read on this forum had a real impact on our decision to buy in PS, it was just interesting to read others perspectives.

Let?s be fair:
Living by the 5 and 405 ain?t no joke.
GP has many questionable issues.

mountaineer said:
Yes. Good to be wholesome and fair when talking about these "hazards" and not to pile it all up against PS or other certain neighborhood in the future, when the same "hazards" apply to other villages, even more significantly. As I mentioned, landfill is an issue for most of northeast Irvine. Freeways, that's an issue for the entire SoCal. Or if the area is NOT near a freeway, then you have another "issue" on your hand with it being "far from all freeways". It's an art to try to be fair, and just because you decided against PS, does not mean it should be bashed to oblivion.

It takes ONE TWEET to scare a whole nation of a certain ethnicity. Repeated posts about PS's "hazards" certainly scare away a lot of people. Who would want brain cancer for their child? And how can you possibly recover from such perceived notion on a neighborhood if you're a prospective buyer? I would have bought in OH had it been more fairly valued, and had an actual floorplan that had decent sized rooms not the size of closets at our price range (below 1.3) as I saw its shortcomings nothing short of PS or EW or GP, in different ways for each. Each of us have an equation to solve and it's hard as it is, we don't need unfounded "hazards" to add to the equation when the same hazards apply to all villages one way or another.

Just because a person here didn't happen to buy in any certain neighborhood, it does not give them the right to CREATE a sense of unfounded HEALTH HAZARDS for other villages based on non-factual claims. I'm glad for people pointing out the potential issues for each neighborhood, so we're all aware of what we're getting into. So for that, thank you!

eyephone said:

I don't think anyone can dispute that, but mountaineer went on a rant when I said living by the toll road is bad for you.  Let's remember what the op asked, this wasn't a village war thread.  Maybe we should start one again **for entertainment purposes only**  ;D

irvine buyer said:
I'd be curious to see if there is a correlation between living on busy streets and life expectancy of the residents.  While I don't deny the scientific findings, I think of people living along busy streets in places like San Francisco and Manhattan where bumper to bumper traffic is normal.  Hot exhaust gases tend to rise and, considering the density of such areas, would impact residents living multiple stories above ground.  A vehicle produces more exhaust gas accelerating from stop than coasting along a freeway.

This is a good point. While we try to live further away from busy roads and freeways, there are some cities just full pack of cars all over. Downtown LA, Manhattan NY, and many of the richest areas all over the world are like this. Do people live in those areas suffer with more illnesses? From what I've seen, more rural areas have been causing more illnesses than urban areas where there are more smog and chemicals. Am I wrong here?

Mety said:
This is a good point. While we try to live further away from busy roads and freeways, there are some cities just full pack of cars all over. Downtown LA, Manhattan NY, and many of the richest areas all over the world are like this. Do people live in those areas suffer with more illnesses? From what I've seen, more rural areas have been causing more illnesses than urban areas where there are more smog and chemicals. Am I wrong here?

?PM2.5 is a fine particulate matter of diameter less than 2.5 micrometers. These tiny dust particles, when inhaled, lead to numerous health conditions including early death, and heart and lung related illnesses,? the study said.
https://therealdeal.com/2016/09/03/living-in-manhattan-is-amazing-except-for-the-air-quality/

Old article, but was the first on my google search. When we're all in EVs maybe all these studies will change and living by the freeway or in big cities will be fine.

akkord said:
eyephone said:

I don't think anyone can dispute that, but mountaineer went on a rant when I said living by the toll road is bad for you.  Let's remember what the op asked, this wasn't a village war thread.

But it is.
Mety said:
irvine buyer said:

Btw: it?s not a fair comparison. Study has shown living by a major fwy ain?t healthy especially if your pregnant.

Like I said before, it?s great to point out 241. But be fair and include 5 and 405 and mention to OP that almost anywhere you go in Irvine, higher risks from highways and bust streets exist.

Obesity is the #1 driver of malignancy in this country. Proven over and over again. Rural people tend to be more obese in this country. I?m not saying I know all the answers but pretty confident obesity is driving most of it.

mountaineer said:
Like I said before, it?s great to point out 241. But be fair and include 5 and 405 and mention to OP that almost anywhere you go in Irvine, higher risks from highways and bust streets exist.

Obesity is the #1 driver of malignancy in this country. Proven over and over again. Rural people tend to be more obese in this country. I?m not saying I know all the answers but pretty confident obesity is driving most of it.

That?s a different subject, but I agree. Be careful talking about obesity/fat on TalkIrvine. Someone took it the wrong way even though it was a joke. Unbelievable! They might cry to mommy!

Kind of makes sense. People in those cities are surely walking around more whereas people who live in OC or more rural areas are always sitting driving cars, not moving much. So even with more smog or dust particles, it's more likely they're burning more unnecessary fat from more urban areas.

Kind of off topic, but talking about malignancy/cancer and obesity/fat is reminding me of someone...

paydawg said:
mountaineer said:
Again - you're projecting completely skewed exaggerated "facts" about PS. The entire NORTHPARK neighborhood is within 250 meters of either 261, Portola Parkway, or Culver or Irvine Blvd. The entire place. And yet, Very few homes brush against the 250 meter perimeter from 241 in the Portola Springs. The remainder are much farther away than 250 meters.

Same with Laguna Altura. 100% of the neighborhood is within 180 meters of 133 where it actually has traffic going to Laguna. On the other side, most of the neighborhood is swallowed by the 250 perimeter of 405.

Go on and on, Quail Hill (most of it within 300 meters of 405 and 133), Cypress Village (no need to measure anything here), Eastwood (Portola Parkway, Irvine Blvd, Jeffrey literally border the place).

And yes, don't kid yourself and don't offer "delete post" blah blah. I don't need any deletion or adjustment of your posts. Go ahead and leave whatever you want. Posts in these forums DO end up putting fears into people's minds, and that's what's going on around the country, create fear (aka Fox News) and rule. And this is what you guys, the professional posters of these forums, are completely doing.

I also don't think the higher MR of PS truly changes the math equation that is $400/sqft vs ridiculous pricing that is Orchard Hills at $550/sqft. Truly? That's a 25-30% increase in the actual price of the home. Does PS truly has SUCH HIGH MR that it offsets the ridiculous pricing in OH or EW? Do the math for me and i'll gladly concede you're "right" on this one if the math truly works out the way you say it does.

Again, you're trying your best to prove your points. It's just not working out.

How much is MR and annual HOA at PS?  I'd like to see the math.

I compared the MR and annual HOA for a home in PS vs a similar home in CV.  A 3 bedroom/3 bath home; ~2,200 sq ft; built in 2015-16. 

The PS Home sold in Nov 2019 for $935K.  The CV home sold in Aug 2019 for $1,055M.  To compare apples to apples, the PS home should be discounted by ~$60K for the additional $2,400 in MR and HOA expenses every year.  (assuming a rate of return of 4%/year).

That PS home is worth 935K - 60K = $875K (~$398/sq ft)
The CV home is worth 1.055M (~$480/sq ft)

These are only 2 sales, so it's risky to draw any actual conclusions, but people were willing to pay ~20% more to live in the CV house vs the PS house. I'm sure that gap might be wider if you replace CV with SG or OH.  I think the punchline is that if you buy in PS for the mid-$400s/sqft, the economic value might not be there. 

Here we go again. Some fuzzy math and made up assumptions from non economics majors.

My HOA at PS is 135. CV HOA per Redfin is 135.

MR difference between the two is 0.09%. That amounts to about 900 dollars per year for a 1 mil house.

How is that again turned into the PS house being valued 65k less? Over what time? 65 years?

Again. Same herd mentality here against PS. Pile up without actual facts. Just fuzzy logic.

Yes. PS is a value village because you can find value in it. Less than 400 per sqft. To a lot of us, even with gross incomes of 300-400k, that sounds very appetizing. Again, most of us looking for ?value? have no foreign cash to put down. And to me, that?s the most impressive part of ANY ?value? village, is that the fabric of the place is made up of people who actually have some perspective left. I like to be neighbors with people who don?t blindly follow the herd to some ?premium? village driven meritlessly toward ?premium-ness? due to FCB and these forums. I want my kids to grow up among neighbors who make 200-300k, yet drive an Accord and an Altima and an Acura at its best. That?s pretty rare to find in OH or SG. Porsche after Porsche after MB wagons and the worst among the cars being a Tesla. It?s refreshing to live in a place with some perspective left in its people.

A question since we're on PS homes topic.

Why are these homes so inexpensive (compare to other Irvine homes)?
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/67-Distant-Star-92618/home/45383351https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/Cypress-Village-Trl-92618/home/45383343https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/53-Distant-Star-92618/home/51684319

There are all around $350/sq. ft. I know they are attached, but the same size (or smaller) condos like Delano at EW were selling $200k more expensive. Any idea? I'm asking purely out of curiosity not to join the herd mentality that mountaineer is talking about nor to bash PS.

mountaineer said:
Here we go again. Some fuzzy math and made up assumptions from non economics majors.

My HOA at PS is 135. CV HOA per Redfin is 135.

MR difference between the two is 0.09%. That amounts to about 900 dollars per year for a 1 mil house.

How is that again turned into the PS house being valued 65k less? Over what time? 65 years?

Again. Same herd mentality here against PS. Pile up without actual facts. Just fuzzy logic.

Yes. PS is a value village because you can find value in it. Less than 400 per sqft. To a lot of us, even with gross incomes of 300-400k, that sounds very appetizing. Again, most of us looking for ?value? have no foreign cash to put down. And to me, that?s the most impressive part of ANY ?value? village, is that the fabric of the place is made up of people who actually have some perspective left. I like to be neighbors with people who don?t blindly follow the herd to some ?premium? village driven meritlessly toward ?premium-ness? due to FCB and these forums. I want my kids to grow up among neighbors who make 200-300k, yet drive an Accord and an Altima and an Acura at its best. That?s pretty rare to find in OH or SG. Porsche after Porsche after MB wagons and the worst among the cars being a Tesla. It?s refreshing to live in a place with some perspective left in its people.

While I don't know exactly where you live, my math wasn't as fuzzy as you think.  Here are the houses I compared:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/146-Brambles-92618/home/143916127

HOA = $233/month

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/82-Scented-Violet-92620/home/58557054

HOA = $135/month

-MR info was taken off public records.
-4% rate of return is pretty standard for forecasting
-BTW - While I'm not an econ major, I do work in high-finance

Back