Lambert Ranch in Irvine

for us in no particular order

1) floorplans
2) non grid layout with curves and hills
3) broad set of elevations and colors and not just beige
4) small and intimate community - we already exchanged contact info with 4 other couples
5) 1 type of product in the community - its all SFRs

actually that might be in order of importance...TIC should take notes

MR or not is just math to me.  i put all the numbers into my house comparator spreadsheet and look at the difference in the monthly number. 

@rkp:

Regarding number 4... Ninja Mutant Unicorns need to stick together!!!!

(I'm kidding... my big con against LR (and PS) is it's too in the boonies)

jamboreedude said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So is Lambert Ranch's sales pace faster than Laguna Altura's?
Sure seems like it.

they would have to raise prices to make the same profit if they did that.  average MR in LA is $100K buyout....

TIC should scrap Mello Roos at Laguna Altura to improve sales!

jamboreedude said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So is Lambert Ranch's sales pace faster than Laguna Altura's?
Sure seems like it.

TIC should scrap Mello Roos at Laguna Altura to improve sales!

If TIC wants to improve sales, they need to stop recycling floor plans from their other developments and come up with something interesting. It's one thing to recycle floor plans if there's something great about them, but what TIC offers is boring, and they're all the same even within a community (just slightly smaller or larger). Sure, Mello Roos is a factor. But I've been ready to buy for 3 years now, waiting for something that inspires more than a yawn from TIC. That's partly why I gave up on Orchard Hills; even ignoring the fact that it's always 2-3 years away, I had very little optimism that TIC would offer interesting floor plans given their recent history.

rkp said:
lack of inventory can also be a factor...

It is THE factor.

Unfortunately it's coming at the cost of the momentum of the housing economy. Expect to see more realtors begging for change at exits near the 55 freeway.

davenlei said:
Wonder if TIC is taking notes.

You bet they are. TIc has utilized a new architect that pales in comparison. The Lambert Ranch homes have the combined effort of Robert Hidey Architecture and the final influence of Tom Redwitz President of The New Home Company. They were behind the success of The John Lange Luxury Division and before that with Taylor Woodrow Homes when they were the premier home builder on the Ranch. The two together make for the finest production homes perhaps, in the country. The homes that TIC / Irvine Pacific builds are for the masses and they do a great job! Their quality far surpasses many of the builders of old. The styling is geared for middle of the road. They wont win any points for style, but Mr. Bren can be thanked once again for forcing the entire industry in its worst time since the great depression. Of course he is making his money, but he took considerable risk at a time when NO ONE else in the country was doing what he has done. Its not fair to compare the two, one is of the supreme specification level, the other for a lesser specification, but still nice! You will pay a serious premium at Lambert Ranch for options, count on it. Not the TIC is cheap, but it is far more reasonable. This is good news for all potential buyers.

The cardboard sign should say Ex Veteran and Realtor. Every homeless I see claims to be an ex veteran.

IndieDev said:
rkp said:
lack of inventory can also be a factor...

It is THE factor.

Unfortunately it's coming at the cost of the momentum of the housing economy. Expect to see more realtors begging for change at exits near the 55 freeway.

Special Agent Mike?

ranchbroker said:
davenlei said:
Wonder if TIC is taking notes.

You bet they are. TIc has utilized a new architect that pales in comparison. The Lambert Ranch homes have the combined effort of Robert Hidey Architecture and the final influence of Tom Redwitz President of The New Home Company. They were behind the success of The John Lange Luxury Division and before that with Taylor Woodrow Homes when they were the premier home builder on the Ranch. The two together make for the finest production homes perhaps, in the country. The homes that TIC / Irvine Pacific builds are for the masses and they do a great job! Their quality far surpasses many of the builders of old. The styling is geared for middle of the road. They wont win any points for style, but Mr. Bren can be thanked once again for forcing the entire industry in its worst time since the great depression. Of course he is making his money, but he took considerable risk at a time when NO ONE else in the country was doing what he has done. Its not fair to compare the two, one is of the supreme specification level, the other for a lesser specification, but still nice! You will pay a serious premium at Lambert Ranch for options, count on it. Not the TIC is cheap, but it is far more reasonable. This is good news for all potential buyers.

TNHC has sold out phases 3 and 4 for The Grove that were released this past weekend. I don't know about the other communities in LR (The Field and The Hill).

Been following your discussions from afar, and want to thank everyone for their insightful comments, about the landfill, cell tower, jail, etc.

Re LR: one of its selling points is being zoned for Northwood High School.  However, I noticed on
http://www.iusd.org/district_services/facilities_planning_and_construction/new_construction.html

that IUSD is planning to open High School #5 in Heritage Fields/Great Park in 2016, which is closer to LR, and on the same side of the 133.

Anyone worried about LR getting re-zoned out of Northwood HS?  How has IUSD rezoned in the past?

Thanks.

Redistricting is necessary if Northwood High is impacted with over population. Many homes sold in Northwood Pointe were to young families back in the mid90s. Those kids are in High School right now. Fewer young families were able to afford Northwood Pointe resales to impact Northwood High in the future. New villages like Stonegate and Stonegate East in the future will feed into Northwood High. The IAC rentals are limited in that district. The greater problem I see is school #5 will need to tap into the immediate high schooler population. LR is one of such demographic as expensive homes were sold to mature families with teenage kids. Apartments are actually good for providing steadily population to all schools.

brought some out of town cash buyers in the multi-million dollar range visiting LR this past weekend; some feedback
1. Model homes have pricey upgrades (including landscaping) that is about 20 to 30% of total base price. Upgrades are nicely executed though.
2. lack of resale comp means high risk for these 1+ million homes
3. some of the down stair BRs are mentally depressing for the elderly due to lack of yard space
4. when they spot the garbage trucks inside the landfill in the distance, I had to come clean and explain the proximity of landfill to them (they had no idea where LR is located due to out of town, having no previous knowledge of the landfill) they immediately became dis-interested, felt gross and wanted to leave on the spot. I felt bad of not disclosing the landfill before the tour.

Granted, these buyers are more of the kind of buying old lots, tear down and build custom homes types, but LR does not cut it for them for these reasons:
1. Landfill
2. Lack of resale comps
3. Small lot size
4. NW high is not comparable to other elite California high schools

I am not sure how many friends or family members LR owners gonna lose and stop visiting when they realize landfill is just a stone throw away.

they have sold 32 or almost 20% of the development, not to bad for being open about a month. so it doesnt appear they are hurting. (assuming those sales are legit).

I was a Lambert Ranch this past weekend and was NOT impressed by the location, close proximity to Bee Canyon road, the road where you will see garbage dumpsters all day long going in and out, and the GRAY boring and cheap looking front gated entrance area and community pool building. Overall, these homes are NOT worth it even without the Mello Roos. Consider Laguna Altura, an exclusive community in a better location near Irvine Spectrum, Quail Hill, Laguna Beach, but at a higher premium and with mello roos  :'(

Everyone has a different reason for buying a home in a particular location.  There are always compromises in any location, and if there aren't...well, they're out of the price range for mere mortals without CEO salaries.  Some ppl think the landfill is a deal breaker.  I get it.  Some ppl won't buy in Woodbury cuz of the schools zoned to that area and section 8 housing.  Some ppl won't buy in west Irvine cuz it's too old and dated.  Quail Hill is nice, but super expensive with tiny lots.  My wife and I personally hate the layout of Laguna Altura, but that's just us. Or some ppl are waiting for the mythical Orchard Hills.  I get all of these reasons.  But, TNHC must be doing something right cuz they are selling out every single phase in all 3 developments and these phases are only 1-2 weeks apart.  At this rate, LR will sell out in less than 5 months without even phase 1 having moved in. That's crazy.  Will it happen?  Will sales soften?  I have no idea.  The refreshing designs are very welcome, albeit on small lots (but I don't need or want a large lot), and I love love love NO mello roos.  In 10 yrs, I'd have saved over 50 large.  That's nothing to sneeze at.  I know someone is gonna swing by and say, "I would never buy a home near a landfill, I wouldn't risk my family's health...blah, blah, blah..".  Neither would I.  I've done my due diligence and feel good about Bowerman and the safety measures.  So unless you have hard irrefutable data and research that Bowerman is a health hazard, I think ppl are spreading unfounded personal beliefs.  Does the Landfill affect pricing and resale...Undoubtedly it does and will, but I don't disagree with that point.  I guess the point I'm making is that the landfill doesn't seem to hurting sales and I know a fair amount of ppl buying there, including doctors, scientists, lawyers...well educated ppl that looked into the landfill and came away satisfied.  Do the pundits on this board know something about the landfill that we don't?  <not trying to pick a fight, just wanting clarification>.

Back