Lambert Ranch in Irvine

Some people think having "4" in the address is a deal breaker.

There is no proof it's really bad luck... but it will limit a future buying pool for you... if that matters to you.

Personally... I don't think the Lambert Ranch location is a 1 million dollar one... even if it didn't have a landfill next to it.

Patrick J. Star said:
OCgasman said:
Everyone has a different reason for buying a home in a particular location.  There are always compromises in any location, and if there aren't...well, they're out of the price range for mere mortals without CEO salaries.  Some ppl think the landfill is a deal breaker.  I get it. 

I'm sure anybody can find an article to support their predisposed position on how a landfill may impact the health of your family.  If you are inclined to dislike Lambert Ranch, I'm sure there is a mountain of articles floating around the internet stating there are significant risks to living there.  If you are selling homes at Lambert Ranch like some of the TI members clearly are, I'm sure you can find articles indicating there are no health risks at all in living near a landfill.

To me --- if I was betting my $1M on it, I'd forget all that and simply read an article like this one I am linking --- "Irvine's Dubious Distinction".  Take a look at the poll results --- clearly a MUCH larger population than you find on TI.  Look at the overwhelming number of negative responses to ever considering living near a landfill.  A wise person on this (or maybe IHB) once told me to "consider how you will market the home you are thinking of buying to YOUR future buyers".  Who is going to want to buy it from YOU?  That was wise advice.

http://irvinehomes.ocregister.com/2010/01/07/irvines-dubious-distinction/12421/

none of the TI members are LR sales people.  i know because i am trying to connect the folks over at LR with TI to have a builder rep here.  they arent participating and faking it here.  hopefully you aren't set in stone with your belief and can accept that some folks are just fans of a particular project...nothing more...

i read the article and saw the poll results.  its about 50/50 on people who would live there and people who wouldnt.  i am counting the maybe's with the yes's as they would for the right price.  so the discussion then comes down to what that right prices is.

right now, the phases are selling out at the prices they are offering.  no one has backed out yet in the field project where i am actively looking.  i know this because we didnt get the lot we wanted and my wife was in tears in the sales office and they are trying their best to get us in. 

also, we have met a wide variety of age groups, professions, and races during our numerous visits there.  yes there are people who will absolutely not buy any where near a landfill but there are also people who will not buy anywhere near a freeway yet oak creek exists.  and buying purely with the thought of who your buyer will be and how you will resell it is speculation no matter how you cut it.  no one can predict the future and you can try your best to limit the negatives but if you are planning to live there for at least 10 years, you just cant predict what will happen

rkp said:
Patrick J. Star said:
OCgasman said:
Everyone has a different reason for buying a home in a particular location.  There are always compromises in any location, and if there aren't...well, they're out of the price range for mere mortals without CEO salaries.  Some ppl think the landfill is a deal breaker.  I get it. 

I'm sure anybody can find an article to support their predisposed position on how a landfill may impact the health of your family.  If you are inclined to dislike Lambert Ranch, I'm sure there is a mountain of articles floating around the internet stating there are significant risks to living there.  If you are selling homes at Lambert Ranch like some of the TI members clearly are, I'm sure you can find articles indicating there are no health risks at all in living near a landfill.

To me --- if I was betting my $1M on it, I'd forget all that and simply read an article like this one I am linking --- "Irvine's Dubious Distinction".  Take a look at the poll results --- clearly a MUCH larger population than you find on TI.  Look at the overwhelming number of negative responses to ever considering living near a landfill.  A wise person on this (or maybe IHB) once told me to "consider how you will market the home you are thinking of buying to YOUR future buyers".  Who is going to want to buy it from YOU?  That was wise advice.

none of the TI members are LR sales people.  i know because i am trying to connect the folks over at LR with TI to have a builder rep here.  they arent participating and faking it here.  hopefully you aren't set in stone with your belief and can accept that some folks are just fans of a particular project...nothing more...

i read the article and saw the poll results.  its about 50/50 on people who would live there and people who wouldnt.  i am counting the maybe's with the yes's as they would for the right price.  so the discussion then comes down to what that right prices is.

right now, the phases are selling out at the prices they are offering.  no one has backed out yet in the field project where i am actively looking.  i know this because we didnt get the lot we wanted and my wife was in tears in the sales office and they are trying their best to get us in. 

also, we have met a wide variety of age groups, professions, and races during our numerous visits there.  yes there are people who will absolutely not buy any where near a landfill but there are also people who will not buy anywhere near a freeway yet oak creek exists.  and buying purely with the thought of who your buyer will be and how you will resell it is speculation no matter how you cut it.  no one can predict the future and you can try your best to limit the negatives but if you are planning to live there for at least 10 years, you just cant predict what will happen

sorry, but in tears to buy a $1M home so close to a landfill??

Patrick J. Star said:
OCgasman said:

More important than any poll results is the best poll of all: the marketplace. As it currently stands, TNHC is selling the homes at LR as fast as they are being released. This may or may not slow down. But so far, people are voting with their money. No house is perfect for every single person. What I love about a particular house or development may be a deal breaker for someone else. And as rkp said, there's no predicting what's going to happen 10 years (or whatever number) from now.

@gld2:

Until a 3rd place and schools have been built out at Portola/Lambert, Stonegate has a better location. Prices are still high there relatively... but it also does not have some of the other cons the PS/LR area has.

kalbi said:
sorry, but in tears to buy a $1M home so close to a landfill??

being close to the landfill doesnt bother us one bit.  would you still be surprised if someone was in tears to buy a $1M house in woodbury?  i get that the landfill bothers people but portola springs has been open for nearly 5 years with TI regulars like USCT highlighting Las Ventanas and its odd that its becoming a big conversation topic now. 

my wife was in tears because for the first time in 10 years, it felt like the stars aligned on a house.  this particular lot had the right floorplan, elevation, lot size, privacy and overall, lambert ranch is exactly the kind of neighborhood we have been waiting for.  from the second we drive in, we just know this is right for us. 

we missed this ideal lot because our timestamp was literally 5 seconds later than the person who got it so yes, she was in tears.

The Motor Court Company said:
brought some out of town cash buyers in the multi-million dollar range visiting LR this past weekend; some feedback
1. Model homes have pricey upgrades (including landscaping) that is about 20 to 30% of total base price. Upgrades are nicely executed though.
2. lack of resale comp means high risk for these 1+ million homes
3. some of the down stair BRs are mentally depressing for the elderly due to lack of yard space
4. when they spot the garbage trucks inside the landfill in the distance, I had to come clean and explain the proximity of landfill to them (they had no idea where LR is located due to out of town, having no previous knowledge of the landfill) they immediately became dis-interested, felt gross and wanted to leave on the spot. I felt bad of not disclosing the landfill before the tour.

Granted, these buyers are more of the kind of buying old lots, tear down and build custom homes types, but LR does not cut it for them for these reasons:
1. Landfill
2. Lack of resale comps
3. Small lot size
4. NW high is not comparable to other elite California high schools

I am not sure how many friends or family members LR owners gonna lose and stop visiting when they realize landfill is just a stone throw away.

TMCC - are you a RE agent?  how come you dont have the site sponsor badge like USCT and IrvineRealtor?

I totally agree with you about scholl and built out,  however the fact is  Stonegate is closer to the landfill,  which is the issue everyone talks about....

irvinehomeowner said:
@gld2:

Until a 3rd place and schools have been built out at Portola/Lambert, Stonegate has a better location. Prices are still high there relatively... but it also does not have some of the other cons the PS/LR area has.

OCgasman said:
I know a fair amount of ppl buying there, including doctors, scientists, lawyers...well educated ppl that looked into the landfill and came away satisfied. 

while they may be smart, plenty of doctors/scientists/lawyers make stupid decisions all the time.

Arman said:
Patrick J. Star said:
OCgasman said:

More important than any poll results is the best poll of all: the marketplace. As it currently stands, TNHC is selling the homes at LR as fast as they are being released. This may or may not slow down. But so far, people are voting with their money. No house is perfect for every single person. What I love about a particular house or development may be a deal breaker for someone else. And as rkp said, there's no predicting what's going to happen 10 years (or whatever number) from now.

A home isn't sold until it closes.  TNHC could get swamped with cancellations when people find out about the landfill.

test said:
A home isn't sold until it closes.  TNHC could get swamped with cancellations when people find out about the landfill.

Of course that's possible, although it'd be a costly cancellation, as you'd lose your $30,000 deposit, plus any payments you've made for options.

Arman said:
test said:

Of course that's possible, although it'd be a costly cancellation, as you'd lose your $30,000 deposit, plus any payments you've made for options.
I don't know many new builders who keep your earnest money deposit... esp in this economy/market.

irvinehomeowner said:
Arman said:
test said:

I don't know many new builders who keep your earnest money deposit... esp in this economy/market.

Maybe I should've included the qualifier of once you sign the contract, which is usually within a few weeks of placing the deposit. Before that, I believe, you can get back your deposit.

That said, I'd be surprised if many people who are serious about buying a house would not know about what they're buying into. So, I don't think there's a huge hidden number of buyers at Lambert Ranch who will be backing out, which isn't to say there aren't any. For the few that may back out, I suspect that TNHC won't have any problems finding replacement buyers given the demand thus far.

Stonegate is closer to the landfill truck route (Sand Canyon + Portola + Bees Canyon Access Rd), but LR is closest to the actual landfill, and trucks operating inside the landfill are visible in LR. Not to mention the toll roads, cell tower, water tanks are all visible.

gld2 said:
I totally agree with you about scholl and built out,  however the fact is  Stonegate is closer to the landfill,  which is the issue everyone talks about....

irvinehomeowner said:
@gld2:

qwerty said:
OCgasman said:
I know a fair amount of ppl buying there, including doctors, scientists, lawyers...well educated ppl that looked into the landfill and came away satisfied. 

while they may be smart, plenty of doctors/scientists/lawyers make stupid decisions all the time.
I hope not with their clients and patients! 

People have different reasons for buying a property.  I think the landfill is well known for all the potential buyers of 1M dollar homes.  The landfill doesn't bother me.  I like the architecture and feel of the neighborhood.  It seems like lots of young families are moving there.  Yes, I believe there needs to be more infrastructure in the area and hopefully there will be.  But for me, it seems like the perfect neighborhood to move into and raise a family.

no one is denying that landfill proximity will reduce the buyer pool.  not sure what you are trying to say patrick.

power lines, freeways, military bases, too close to commercial ares, too far to commercial areas...all these reduce the buyer pool. 

i did update the poll with "yes" to see the results so you got me there.

Patrick J. Star said:
Patrick J. Star said:

After posting that nearly 2.5 year old link earlier today, I did a little test of my own to see how the votes changed --- as clearly the only traffic there today would have come from TI.  At the time I posted it there were 89 votes for "Yes, bring on the landfill".  Now it is 91 (Arman and rkp?).  There were 226 votes for "No way on the landfill" --- now there are 236.  The "maybe" votes are unchanged at 101.  So nearly 85% of TI readers this afternoon are taking a pass.  Interesting.
I'm not understanding how a poll conducted 2 years ago with such a small sample size has any relevance to today's market.  Even here on this forum, the # of people that post and lurk is so small, that it's meaningless to the larger pool of buyers.  I've only recently discovered this forum and while there is a ton of great info (especially from you USCtrojancpa) there seems to be alot of doom an gloom about every neighborhood. 

Book Smart is not = to street smart. The most clever guys are usually without the diploma and hire those with the diplomas to execute and implement the ideas.

qwerty said:
OCgasman said:

TNHC has done a great job with LR given the obvious drawbacks to its location. TIC should be taking some serious lessons from this project as they plan out OH. The community design and execution is superior to LA. Just driving through the LR gates and up the long roadway leading to the clubhouse has a much better feel than staring at the obtrusive wall that welcomes you at LA. The LR floorplans are innovative and modern--no more TIC recycling here. If TNHC had designed and priced LA, it would be sold out already--what a fail for TIC. Someone there should have been fired already!

The big deciding factor will be community location. While I do love the elevation aspects of PS/LR, proximity to the dump/prison/toll road/etc... must be seriously considered.

In the end, I am very happy TNHC has brought this community forward and given consumers more choices. Maybe this will make OH that much better.

Back