Junk fooding

Just tried Redstraw, new tea shop in Cypress Village where juice it up used to be.  You can really get diabetes here within a few feet of each other with Cauldron+Starbucks+Redstraw.

Anyhow tried the RS Milk Tea with boba.  After all, a true measure of any tea shop is how they execute the classics, right?  The verdict... meh, it was decent but nothing great.  I do think though I?d choose this milk tea over Lollicup and Tapioca Express.  The boba had good texture and some flavor unlike the bland mushier boba at the other shops.  Tea was just ok, still a bit too sweet at 75% and I like sweet stuff.

I think my go-to is still Sharetea Okinawa Milk Tea with Boba 75% sweet.  The Sharetea boba texture and flavor is perfect, better than any I?ve had in US and the Tea Flavor is awesome on the Okinawa... I just wish I didn?t have to drive to UCI or CM for it.

Oh well, Happy junk fooding!
https://www.yelp.com/biz/redstraw-irvine-6

aquabliss said:
Just tried Redstraw, new tea shop in Cypress Village where juice it up used to be.  You can really get diabetes here within a few feet of each other with Cauldron+Starbucks+Redstraw.

Anyhow tried the RS Milk Tea with boba.  After all, a true measure of any tea shop is how they execute the classics, right?  The verdict... meh, it was decent but nothing great.  I do think though I?d choose this milk tea over Lollicup and Tapioca Express.  The boba had good texture and some flavor unlike the bland mushier boba at the other shops.  Tea was just ok, still a bit too sweet at 75% and I like sweet stuff.

I think my go-to is still Sharetea Okinawa Milk Tea with Boba 75% sweet.  The Sharetea boba texture and flavor is perfect, better than any I?ve had in US and the Tea Flavor is awesome on the Okinawa... I just wish I didn?t have to drive to UCI or CM for it.

Agree on the review...they try doing all these exotic teas that just falls flat.  Also super expensive.

Sharetea is excellent but the new fav is Omomo at the Alton Square.

aquabliss said:

I liked it. A lot. Enough to drive out of my way to get it twice in a week. I do mine with soy milk at 25% sweetness.

irvinehomeowner said:
Lollicup is still good enough for us.

Waiting in line at Omomo and 7 Leaves is crazy... not to mention how much it costs.

Omomo and 7 Leaves are not cheap but worth the price. Just avoid peak times.

Cauldron from CV plaza used to be packed with 2-hour waiting lines, but now they're all gone. Pretty empty whenever I visited these days. It could be the time frames I visited. Also when the line used to be so long, I found out it was because the cashier guy was going over the whole menu with each customer talking for literally 3-5 min at once. That guy gets the mad prop from the owner's perspective. Maybe he is the owner.

Mety said:
Cauldron from CV plaza used to be packed with 2-hour waiting lines, but now they're all gone. Pretty empty whenever I visited these days. It could be the time frames I visited. Also when the line used to be so long, I found out it was because the cashier guy was going over the whole menu with each customer talking for literally 3-5 min at once. That guy gets the mad prop from the owner's perspective. Maybe he is the owner.

I dislike all those nitrogen ice cream places...so overrated and expensive.

irvinehomeowner said:

Waiting in line at Omomo and 7 Leaves is crazy... not to mention how much it costs.

Since new owners at Lollicup on Jeffrey/walnut, the prices have gone up like 3-4 different times.  What was $5 is now $8.75.  Doesn't sound like much, but when paying for 4, $20 becomes $35 and it's very noticeable.  I love their popcorn chicken, but go there much less now.

spootieho said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Since new owners at Lollicup on Jeffrey/walnut, the prices have gone up like 3-4 different times.  What was $5 is now $8.75.  Doesn't sound like much, but when paying for 4, $20 becomes $35 and it's very noticeable.  I love their popcorn chicken, but go there much less now.

I remember thinking about buying the place way back in like 2006...the first owner was selling it for like $450K.  The place basically had a monopoly on boba back then. 

I also remember seeing it being listed a few years back for like $250K...

Wife likes Ding Tea, I'm a bigger fan of the popcorn chicken from Cha, the bogo coupons they have in the Irvine Company coupon books and on the retail therapy app make it our go to.  We use the bogo Mendocino coupon when we're at the one by UCI too. 

spootieho said:
irvinehomeowner said:

spootieho said:
irvinehomeowner said:

What do you get? I was there a few weeks ago and it was still $4-5 for a drink... which is about the same everywhere. Omomo I think is $5+ for some of their items and only one size.

zubs said:
After realizing a container of boba is 1,000 calories, I stopped drinking it.

Uh yeah, it'll make your insulin spike to the moon.  I rather eat my calories and carbs, not drink them.  :p

Anyone try Paderia Bakehouse?https://www.yelp.com/biz/paderia-bakehouse-irvine
The Portuguese egg tarts are really tasty and remind me of Macao. Much better tart than 85c or other bakeries in Irvine.

o.jpg

Tried the Chips Ahoy McFlurry (came out today). Wow, it was really good.  The mix it with caramel and the textures with the smooth ice cream, sticky caramel and crunchy cookie really works. 

Tried the new cookie place in Spectrum.  It was better than I thought but very rich and probably 500 calories per bite.  I?d have it again maybe once a month.

Back