Juniper by Pulte (Beacon Park)

Base pricing for plan 1 (Hickory) at Juniper is now at parity with base pricing for plan 3s at Strada Orchard Hills (~$1.2M). Your Juniper house will be 200+ sq ft larger and your backyard will very likely be much larger.

You still have to consider the tax difference - ~1.4% in Orchard Hills vs. ~1.8% in Beacon Park with the total tax possibly compounding at 2% annually.

Perspective said:
Base pricing for plan 1 (Hickory) at Juniper is now at parity with base pricing for plan 3s at Strada Orchard Hills (~$1.2M). Your Juniper house will be 200+ sq ft larger and your backyard will very likely be much larger.

You still have to consider the tax difference - ~1.4% in Orchard Hills vs. ~1.8% in Beacon Park with the total tax possibly compounding at 2% annually.

Hmmm, sounds like might be convincing yourself that Juniper > Strada.  Considering most people don't stay in their homes for more than 13 years, the tax difference is negligible at this price point.

At these prices, choosing between Strada OH and Juniper BP is much more difficult. We really value a decent backyard, so that just might have pushed Juniper ahead for us.

At these prices, the tax difference is unlikely to sway your decision if you like one much more than the other. However, I wouldn't describe it as negligible. At these prices and equivalent income levels, the AMT effectively negates deducting property taxes for federal income tax purposes. They're still deducted for CA state income tax.

So, we're talking about ~$400 more monthly to start. That's decent coin.

Are these the ones on MLS?  If they are, wonder if it can be negotiated even more (not crazy amounts)

Perspective said:
At these prices, choosing between Strada OH and Juniper BP is much more difficult. We really value a decent backyard, so that just might have pushed Juniper ahead for us.

At these prices, the tax difference is unlikely to sway your decision if you like one much more than the other. However, I wouldn't describe it as negligible. At these prices and equivalent income levels, the AMT effectively negates deducting property taxes for federal income tax purposes. They're still deducted for CA state income tax.

So, we're talking about ~$400 more monthly to start. That's decent coin.

Let's say you and your spouse were really struggling to choose, but the property tax difference annoyed you. You could choose OH, put that $400 monthly you're saving in a 529, and if it earned annually 10% for ten years, you'd have $82K saved for college.

The original price for plan 1 was $1.25MM, where is the $50M discount?  BTW, Plan 1 starting at $1.2MM.

gld2 said:
The original price for plan 1 was $1.25MM, where is the $50M discount?  BTW, Plan 1 starting at $1.2MM.

Someone who's been following Juniper base pricing closely since May would need to assist to determine how much, if any, price discounts are happening here.

The real question to me is with these price adjustments, are we going to see future phases start lower or what? All of these current prices are for 30 to 45 day escrows. I'm sure if you could somehow close in 20 days you could pull some extra deals.

Actually...the Khov ones were 30-45 day escrows...not sure on Juniper. The Khov plan 3 is just over 1.2M at 3000 sq ft (which seems about right from a price perspective (ignoring mella) when you compare to something like Palo Alto or Arcadia price / points. That said, none of the developments are moving quickly, which makes you think existing pricing pressures exist.  I'd argue that if base price is equal for sq/ft between BP and TIC, then you get to a point where the higher mella could be countered by having the larger lot size, etc.

I think Palo Alto jumped out of the gun with about 20 sales real quick, 16 or so held and now it has been slow sledding. I am really curious to see what TIC does with the PS & Eastwood (and how FP reacts to that pricing). 

The price for Palo Alto goes down too?  The quality of KB home is kind of notorious

Bullsback said:
The real question to me is with these price adjustments, are we going to see future phases start lower or what? All of these current prices are for 30 to 45 day escrows. I'm sure if you could somehow close in 20 days you could pull some extra deals.

Actually...the Khov ones were 30-45 day escrows...not sure on Juniper. The Khov plan 3 is just over 1.2M at 3000 sq ft (which seems about right from a price perspective (ignoring mella) when you compare to something like Palo Alto or Arcadia price / points. That said, none of the developments are moving quickly, which makes you think existing pricing pressures exist.  I'd argue that if base price is equal for sq/ft between BP and TIC, then you get to a point where the higher mella could be countered by having the larger lot size, etc.

I think Palo Alto jumped out of the gun with about 20 sales real quick, 16 or so held and now it has been slow sledding. I am really curious to see what TIC does with the PS & Eastwood (and how FP reacts to that pricing).

gld2 said:
The price for Palo Alto goes down too?  The quality of KB home is kind of notorious

Bullsback said:

KB pricing has held relatively flat. I honestly don't buy the "quality" argument with any of these builders. Service could be the case, but all of the builders largely use the same subs to actually build the property, but I could be wrong. That said, I would argue that some builders just tend to build more floorplans I like vs. others (they all have their own unique design styles / quirks). 

I still don't see significant reductions anywhere. I'm sure if KB gets to some standing inventory, they'll prop up commissions and do some price adjustments. I think the reason the BP stuff is able to take such significant reductions is the fact that they have so few homes under contract (in the SFR tracts). So few that the risk of upsetting current buyers is minimal (in fact, you have such few people under contract on a lot of the SFR projects that I presume builder could easily apply a similar credit to them...if they so chose). 

Harder to do for like KB which at 16 homes sold (or whatever the current number is) is like 2-4 times the number of homes in contract at a lot of these SFR projects at BP (I think).

Not sure if Juniper website wasn't updated with current lots sold or if they were able to sell a few more lots recently. Maybe incentives got good enough for year end closes??????

I think they are only giving deals on Plan 1, and it was not good, mostly just free upgrades.  Plan 3 which is Walnut has been selling really good for them.  Both Plan 2 and 3 are nice, but the Mello Roos is what is making me look elsewhere. 

Ps9 listed the actual MR based on size on the first post on this thread. 
~1.8
It's to pay for building cranes and turtle designs (streets/infrastructure), orange balloons and a free bike for all the residents.

I've been following Juniper sales pretty closely.  As said, the biggest incentives are for plan 1's of which they were only able to sell one (the cul de sac lot)  in the past couple of weeks.  They are not listing the homes on the MLS with the incentive pricing, but basically if you went to the sales office they would off the bat say we'll take 50k off a plan 1 and 30k off a plan 2 or 3.  But beyond that, they are pretty firm with the price.  They were able to sell 5 homes in December, compared to the 7 in the initial 4 months so I'm sure at this point they are not offering extra incentives.

Back