Issues with Living Near Affordable Housing?

Shouldn't the same yardstick apply to CV-- too close to 5/133, massive affordable housing coming right next door, Sand Canyon is already a parking lot, bus depot?

And, yet another thread becomes an ?Environmental Hazard?/resale value topic? So much information seems to be thrown around this thread/forum and sold as fact.  I?ve been in Irvine a long time and here?s my insight:

- If you live in Cypress Village, Cypress Village East, Woodbury, Woodbury East, Stonegate, Stonegate East or PS, you will enter/exit Sand Canyon when driving that way.  Guess what? You will see the church, bus depot, and Avella.  Once you get to your home, it?s no longer in sight, same goes for if you live in PP or CVE.

- The large affordable housing/apartment project that keeps being brought up on this thread is on the opposite side of the 5 freeway, which will likely not cause much of an effect on PP/CVE.  If Sand Canyon sees additional traffic (which it already does during peak hours), everyone who lives in any of the communities listed above will endure the same traffic.  CVE/GP homes will be a closer proximity to the highways and make it home faster.

- Why are the MRs so much lower in CVE? I don?t know how people state that MRs are cheaper due solely to an ?undesirable location?.  That?s not exactly how it works.  As most of you know, CVE is the last enclave of Cypress Village.  Meaning, 90% of the infrastructure (parks, schools, streets) have already been built out.  The only MR being paid is to the school district.

- Everyone who has done a little bit of research knows that CVE was previously agriculture land and was never owned by the military.  Fruits that we ATE were grown there for decades.  The same goes for this entire portion of Irvine, WB, Stonegate, Eastwood and CV.  So, when I purchased homes in these other neighborhoods, I signed disclosures about previous pesticide usage on the land.  The disclosures for both CV/CVE both state that TCE was found in the surrounding areas but not on the land the homes sit on.

- The proximity to the 5 freeway was a concern for me, 133 was not as much since there is virtually no stop and go traffic on the 133 and CVE/PP is well over 1 mile from the 5 freeway.  There are many more homes in Irvine that border the 5 and 405 freeways.

- We also looked at PS and EW early in the buying process and decided against it.  PS homes are very nice but were much further away from everything.  EW village borders Irvine Blvd, a mobile park, Jeffrey, old condos that start at $289k and a landfill.  They are also selling like crazy because they?re beautiful homes and zoned for excellent homes.  Once EW and CVE are built out, they?ll be the last homes as part of ?continental Irvine? by TIC.  All other homes will be a little further out like PS, OH and HC.

- Maybe I?m an optimist but I viewed it like this, CVE and PP will be very progressive and easy access to GP, new retail and access to freeways.  I will be able to walk my children to sports games, shows, retail and more within 5 years or so.  There will be no apartments in the immediate vicinity and all new homes.  The small affordable housing complex was not a deal breaker for me.  IHS (irvinehomeshopper) has a track record of good predictions going back well over a decade and hasn't failed me yet.  He said that Trellis Court/CVE and some of the homes at PP, including Carlisle, would be a good purchase in January 2016 so I listened. He must've been on to something because TC, Lantana and Tristania are selling like hotcakes.  As are the homes in EW.

- Irvine is an awesome city and anywhere you purchase, you will enjoy.  It has become (and will continue to become) more of a big city feel.  It is definitely not the suburbs.  If someone wants suburbs, they?ll have to move to Hemet. LOL.  Irvine will be high density and continue to grow at a rapid rate.  My view is to buy as much as you can now because once it?s built out, they?ll be no more, only apartments.  Irvine is on the path to put itself on the map of being a major city in America but maintain safety and great school districts in the heart of OC.

Prototype said:
And, yet another thread becomes an ?Environmental Hazard?/resale value topic? So much information seems to be thrown around this thread/forum and sold as fact.  I?ve been in Irvine a long time and here?s my insight:

- If you live in Cypress Village, Cypress Village East, Woodbury, Woodbury East, Stonegate, Stonegate East or PS, you will enter/exit Sand Canyon when driving that way.  Guess what? You will see the church, bus depot, and Avella.  Once you get to your home, it?s no longer in sight, same goes for if you live in PP or CVE.

- The large affordable housing/apartment project that keeps being brought up on this thread is on the opposite side of the 5 freeway, which will likely not cause much of an effect on PP/CVE.  If Sand Canyon sees additional traffic (which it already does during peak hours), everyone who lives in any of the communities listed above will endure the same traffic.  CVE/GP homes will be a closer proximity to the highways and make it home faster.

- Why are the MRs so much lower in CVE? I don?t know how people state that MRs are cheaper due solely to an ?undesirable location?.  That?s not exactly how it works.  As most of you know, CVE is the last enclave of Cypress Village.  Meaning, 90% of the infrastructure (parks, schools, streets) have already been built out.  The only MR being paid is to the school district.

- Everyone who has done a little bit of research knows that CVE was previously agriculture land and was never owned by the military.  Fruits that we ATE were grown there for decades.  The same goes for this entire portion of Irvine, WB, Stonegate, Eastwood and CV.  So, when I purchased homes in these other neighborhoods, I signed disclosures about previous pesticide usage on the land.  The disclosures for both CV/CVE both state that TCE was found in the surrounding areas but not on the land the homes sit on.

- The proximity to the 5 freeway was a concern for me, 133 was not as much since there is virtually no stop and go traffic on the 133 and CVE/PP is well over 1 mile from the 5 freeway.  There are many more homes in Irvine that border the 5 and 405 freeways.

- We also looked at PS and EW early in the buying process and decided against it.  PS homes are very nice but were much further away from everything.  EW village borders Irvine Blvd, a mobile park, Jeffrey, old condos that start at $289k and a landfill.  They are also selling like crazy because they?re beautiful homes and zoned for excellent homes.  Once EW and CVE are built out, they?ll be the last homes as part of ?continental Irvine? by TIC.  All other homes will be a little further out like PS, OH and HC.

- Maybe I?m an optimist but I viewed it like this, CVE and PP will be very progressive and easy access to GP, new retail and access to freeways.  I will be able to walk my children to sports games, shows, retail and more within 5 years or so.  There will be no apartments in the immediate vicinity and all new homes.  The small affordable housing complex was not a deal breaker for me.  IHS (irvinehomeshopper) has a track record of good predictions going back well over a decade and hasn't failed me yet.  He said that Trellis Court/CVE and some of the homes at PP, including Carlisle, would be a good purchase in January 2016 so I listened. He must've been on to something because TC, Lantana and Tristania are selling like hotcakes.  As are the homes in EW.

- Irvine is an awesome city and anywhere you purchase, you will enjoy.  It has become (and will continue to become) more of a big city feel.  It is definitely not the suburbs.  If someone wants suburbs, they?ll have to move to Hemet. LOL.  Irvine will be high density and continue to grow at a rapid rate.  My view is to buy as much as you can now because once it?s built out, they?ll be no more, only apartments.  Irvine is on the path to put itself on the map of being a major city in America but maintain safety and great school districts in the heart of OC.

You forgot to mention the potential traffic in the future.

OCLuvr said:
Shouldn't the same yardstick apply to CV-- too close to 5/133, massive affordable housing coming right next door, Sand Canyon is already a parking lot, bus depot?

I was just enjoying all the neighborhoods bashing and leave out the CV.  :)

BTW, that bus depot will be remove in the future for the Marine Way realign project.   

lnc said:
OCLuvr said:

BTW, that bus depot will be remove in the future for the Marine Way realign project. 

Is the removal of the bus depot set in stone?  Does that include the IUSD facility?  In any event, whether those buildings are there or not in the future, currently, all drivers on Sand Canyon have the same view.  It doesn't matter if you live in CV, CVE, WB, WBE, PS, SG, PP, or BP.  I see that as a non-issue.  BUT, the one big difference is that the CVE and CV residents will only have a fraction of the traffic issues that the others have...unless they want to pay the toll on the 133.

YellowFever said:
For CV, WB, WBE, it is north enough where you can take exit Jeffrey from the 5fwy and then double back on Trabuco or Irvine Blvd. This is far better than getting stuck at Sand Canyon/5fwy.

Then the same can be said for CVE, BP, and PP, since it has a main entrance on Trabuco/GP Blvd.

paydawg said:
lnc said:
OCLuvr said:

Is the removal of the bus depot set in stone?  Does that include the IUSD facility?  In any event, whether those buildings are there or not in the future, currently, all drivers on Sand Canyon have the same view.  It doesn't matter if you live in CV, CVE, WB, WBE, PS, SG, PP, or BP.  I see that as a non-issue.  BUT, the one big difference is that the CVE and CV residents will only have a fraction of the traffic issues that the others have...unless they want to pay the toll on the 133.

seeing it as you drive past on your way home is not the problem. Living right next to it is the problem.

You're making the argument that its better to live in the midst of the traffic snarl rather than away from it? by that argument, the houses that border the freeway on ramp should be the most desirable and expensive. after all you have quickest access to the freeway.  why are all the most expensive neighborhoods in Irvine relatively secluded and far enough from freeways--Shady Canyon, Turtle Rock, Turtle Ridge, Quail Hill, Orchard Hills? condos in EW, CV and CVE under 1 million sell like hotcakes because that is the pricepoint that more people can afford. Are  you seriously saying that if you had a 2 million + dollar budget you would  prefer an attached 3 story condo with no driveway over a true detached SFR with outdoor entertainment space, more privacy and driveway? In the same city now, we're not talking about a SFR in Irvine versus a condo in Santa Monica. OK, maybe you're an outlier then. I bet most people would prefer the SFR if their budget permits. People in real cities put up with the high density living because the alternative is prohibitively expensive, but at least the public transit infrastructure is in place in a real city, which Irvine lacks. check out the price of a freestanding house or even an attached townhouse in established old neighborhoods in SF, NYC, Boston, London, Paris etc. Remember, you still need to have a car (or multiple cars in a family) even if you live in the "new urbanist" walkable high density nieghborhoods of Great Park, unless you never plan to leave your little neighborhood. Expect all the cars to be clogging up the sidewalks in the high density neighborhoods bc people fill up their garage with crap. Irvine is still car centric and its laid out in a way that will always be car centric, as is most of SoCal. Unless you rip everything out and redo the  entire city from scratch.

nyc to oc said:
paydawg said:
lnc said:
OCLuvr said:

seeing it as you drive past on your way home is not the problem. Living right next to it is the problem.

You're making the argument that its better to live in the midst of the traffic snarl rather than away from it? by that argument, the houses that border the freeway on ramp should be the most desirable and expensive. after all you have quickest access to the freeway.  why are all the most expensive neighborhoods in Irvine relatively secluded and far enough from freeways--Shady Canyon, Turtle Rock, Turtle Ridge, Quail Hill, Orchard Hills? condos in EW, CV and CVE under 1 million sell like hotcakes because that is the pricepoint that more people can afford. Are  you seriously saying that if you had a 2 million + dollar budget you would  prefer an attached 3 story condo with no driveway over a true detached SFR with outdoor entertainment space, more privacy and driveway? In the same city now, we're not talking about a SFR in Irvine versus a condo in Santa Monica. OK, maybe you're an outlier then. I bet most people would prefer the SFR if their budget permits. People in real cities put up with the high density living because the alternative is prohibitively expensive, but at least the public transit infrastructure is in place in a real city, which Irvine lacks. check out the price of a freestanding house or even an attached townhouse in established old neighborhoods in SF, NYC, Boston, London, Paris etc. Remember, you still need to have a car (or multiple cars in a family) even if you live in the "new urbanist" walkable high density nieghborhoods of Great Park, unless you never plan to leave your little neighborhood. Expect all the cars to be clogging up the sidewalks in the high density neighborhoods bc people fill up their garage with crap. Irvine is still car centric and its laid out in a way that will always be car centric, as is most of SoCal. Unless you rip everything out and redo the  entire city from scratch.

I'm not making any argument regarding what's better vs. not.  Every homebuyer has a different definition of "better", based off of location, community, cost, etc..  For me, it's clearly better to be closer to everywhere I go on a daily basis, whether it's rushing to get the kids to school, high-tailing it to the freeway to get to my office or to make a last minute supermarket run.  I'm sure I'm not alone, with my circumstances....wife and husband have busy day jobs out of the house and busy evenings with kids school and extracurricular activities....that's why I think some of these communities closer to the freeways will appreciate just fine.  Convenience is at a premium.  I'm not lucky enough to work out of my house (or very close by) 5 days/week and I'm not lucky enough where I can manage my daily schedule without having most amenities within a 3 minute drive.  Those that do buy those $1MM homes in areas like TR, HC, etc. are in a more fortunate situation than I'm in. 

paydawg said:
I'm not making any argument regarding what's better vs. not.  Every homebuyer has a different definition of "better", based off of location, community, cost, etc..  For me, it's clearly better to be closer to everywhere I go on a daily basis, whether it's rushing to get the kids to school, high-tailing it to the freeway to get to my office or to make a last minute supermarket run.  I'm sure I'm not alone, with my circumstances....wife and husband have busy day jobs out of the house and busy evenings with kids school and extracurricular activities....that's why I think some of these communities closer to the freeways will appreciate just fine.  Convenience is at a premium.  I'm not lucky enough to work out of my house (or very close by) 5 days/week and I'm not lucky enough where I can manage my daily schedule without having most amenities within a 3 minute drive.  Those that do buy those $1MM homes in areas like TR, HC, etc. are in a more fortunate situation than I'm in.

Well, test did always claim that CV was the best due to its location.

Back