Issues with Living Near Affordable Housing?

To be fair to PS3--the part of PS, PS3, Irvinebug22 is talking, about is > 2.5 miles from landfill.

YellowFever said:
IrvineBug22 said:
I agree with you yellow but the problem I have with the market is then why is PS and CVE affected and not BP an PP?

I apologize for missing your question. I got carried away as always.

To answer your question:

If you travel down Sand Canyon Blvd. going north starting from Irvine Center Drive., it's not very scenic.  On the left and right side, you got the 15000 block of commercial buildings, First Direct Lending, etc. Nobody likes living next to these.  When yo hit Oak Canyon street, you got this hazardous waste disposal site. Terrible!  Now, let's keep driving north. It doesn't get any better here.There is an underpass, and La Quinta Inn and the Dennys. This place is heavily impacted with traffic. Oh, this is where they plan to propose building some massive 2000 Irvine Co. apartments. 

Finally, we've hit the 5 fwy. Ugly ugly ugly. It doesn't stop there. Keep driving north. To the right is the butt ugly OCTA Maintenace yard.  Maintenace yard?!?!? Yeah, they fix things, they dump oil, all kinds of "Prop 65: you're going to get cancer and birth defects by standing around" kind of place.  ;)
A little bit further and this is where Irvine Unified keeps all their school buses.  Another undesirable place to be around.

Finally, we hit our first patch of residential apartment homes Avella.  And then making a right turn at Great Park Blvd, we  have the OC Fire station and that ugly SCE substation. CVE is now sandwiched here, with a proposed low income housing north side bordering great park blvd. To the west, you are bordering the 133 toll road, and *IF* it becomes FREE like the city plans to do one day, you can bet it will be MASS traffic and MASS freeway cancer causing air pollution for CVE, WBE, and STGE.  CVE is also one of the closest neighborohods to ground zero of the plume.

PS enclave is too close to the landfill. Studies show you want to be 3 miles or more. PS is 1.5 miles and some homes are way below that.  The landfill is going to be there for quite a while.

Lastly, BP and PP are somewhat in between ground zero of TCE and the landfill. It is not as close to the landfill as PS, but it is also not close to ground zero of TCE as CVE and ParasolPark is.  And BP and PP homes also cost a lot more. Many come with full drive ways like in PP making them a hot seller at the time.

I mean, just look at this big ass drive way in PP.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/195-Compass-92618/home/51682739

CVE will NEVER become that exclusive million-dollar club community homes like BP and EW will have. It will need inflation to get it there. Looking at EW and OH single family detached homes, they will all be over $1 million market value by the time they are all built out.  That won't happen in CVE. 

I do not see CVE building base $1.05+ million dollar SFH/detached homes anytime soon. Because it can't reach those demographics. Not unless they throw in 8000sqft lot size, massive 4 car drive way, huge backyard, included loft, included california room, included high ceiling, and included balcony.

That's my opinion.

CVE is the step-child.

OCLuvr said:
Thanks USCTrojan. Is Helena priced lower than Vista Scena?
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCLuvr said:
@YellowFever,
Why do you think Helena sold better than vista scena?

Primary price...

Yes along with lower HOAs and lower Mello Roos for Helena.  Also, there is no elementary school within Orchard Hills like there is in Eastwood. 

In that case, do you see Petaluma plan1 hitting $900k, as Terreza is still mid $800k?
Also, Helena plan 3 started around $700k and went to $775k, but Petaluma plan1 started at $800k and only went to $830k (talking base price here).
Thoughts?

OCLuvr said:
In that case, do you see Petaluma plan1 hitting $900k, as Terreza is still mid $800k.
Maybe...again Terreza has higher HOA and Mello Roos than Petaluma and the lack of the elementary school in Orchard Hills.  People in the last phases with upgrades will for sure be in the $900s on a Plan 1 Petaluma.  The lack of resale inventory has been one of the drivers for the new homes in Eastwood.

Also, Helena plan 3 started around $700k and went to $775k, but Petaluma plan1 started at $800k and only went to $830k (talking base price here).
Thoughts?

Right, but NO ONE gets that price. First couple phases are with roughly $20k upgrades and in subsequent phases IP makes that as new base price--e.g. Helena phase1 plan3 was 702k, with ~$20k upgrades which doesn't include flooring.
In phase 3, there were no upgrades and price started at $697k. So, same way, I don't think anyone would have got $773K.

Even if I apply your logic, base price for Helena Phase1 plan 3 was $683k and last phase, phase 25, was $771K which is close to $90k higher--still a lot more than Petaluma plan1 phase 1 base price v/s phase 25 price ( only ~60k higher).

Ouch!!
Please stop building un-necessary hype for Petaluma and give people CORRECT information!!

Thoughts?

Yes I am talking ps3 and cve the $800k homes ie why I said Helena and others. Of course cve will not see base homes of $1mil as they don't have plans to make them just the 600- 800k range.  If I was gonna buy in the 800k range I thinks ps3 and cve give you more bang for the buck....that's my opinion I wanted to see what others thought and why.  Helena 2 and tristania 2 are similar but has a price difference of $75k which to me doesn't add up, maybe 15-20k.  I get the PS3 price difference because of affordable housing and the possibility of the cemetery (it will get moved in a land swap) I just don't get the premium for similar homes in PP when many things are the same except a MR double to triple cve and ps3 area
OCLuvr said:
To be fair to PS3--the part of PS, PS3, Irvinebug22 is talking, about is > 2.5 miles from landfill.

I differ with your opinion in so many way. I see CVE as the ideal location. Unfortunately you based your decision on old data. You are seriously not looking forward to 20 years from now. Millennials will be the future consumers. The generation who prefers Spanish stucco boxes is at the tail end. The Irvine Ranch is at the end of Bren's Legacy. He created this meditereanean empire. As one king passes a new empire will begin. Bren's lifespan is limited. Irvine's Spanish shelf life has an expiration date. Millennials are not crazy about beige and red tile boxes. A new generation of architectural style blending with new technology and sustainability. The younger Asian population would not want the same style of homes that their parents and grandparents have. Why should I know this? Because I design homes across the US and not just in the tiny Irvine bubble. I have 40 years of track record. I was there when Racquet Mountain had  just started. Then came Hacienda Heights by 1976 I was already in Diamond Bar and Rowland Heights. This was when Chino Hills was just a cattle farm. The Vietnamese came to a Westminster in 76. Irvine was then just a Safari. I was among the first wave of Chinese residents in Irvine when TV ran ads of this master planned community after Love Boat. Lacking the insights of proprietary information you are not offering the best advices to people. Chinese consumers are like locust. Once the field is destroyed they move on to the next green pasture.

irvinehomeshopper said:
I differ with your opinion in so many way. I see CVE as the ideal location. Unfortunately you based your decision on old data. You are seriously not looking forward to 20 years from now. Millennials will be the future consumers. The generation who prefers Spanish stucco boxes is at the tail end. The Irvine Ranch is at the end of Bren's Legacy. He created this meditereanean empire. As one king passes a new empire will begin. Bren's lifespan is limited. Irvine's Spanish shelf life has an expiration date. Millennials are not crazy about beige and red tile boxes. A new generation of architectural style blending with new technology and sustainability. The younger Asian population would not want the same style of homes that their parents and grandparents have. Why should I know this? Because I design homes across the US and not just in the tiny Irvine bubble. I have 40 years of track record. I was there when Racquet Mountain had  just started. Then came Hacienda Heights by 1976 I was already in Diamond Bar and Rowland Heights. This was when Chino Hills was just a cattle farm. The Vietnamese came to a Westminster in 76. Irvine was then just a Safari. I was among the first wave of Chinese residents in Irvine when TV ran ads of this master planned community after Love Boat. Lacking the insights of proprietary information you are not offering the best advices to people. Chinese consumers are like locust. Once the field is destroyed they move on to the next green pasture.

I think the whole Dwell/LA hipster/Midcentury modern aesthetic is another cyclical fad too that's been going for a while. IMHO, It looks OK when its hard boxy edges are softened by surrounding nature, not packed cheek by jowl in 3 story condos like in Irvine, land of no land, with no room for light/air/trees in between. Then, I think, its too easy for it to look like urban slums. 

IHS, I thought you lived in Floral Park in a classic Spanish/Mediterrannean revival from the 1920s yourself? 

I just don't see how a sliver of a community sandwiched between the 133, I-5, Ridge Valley, and Trabuco, near fumes from bus depot, freeway traffic, tons of affordable housing, ground zero for TCE plume,  and impacted by the massive traffic that can be expected from all the Great Park venues and events can be considered a good location now, or 20 years in the future. Even if the CVE homes were the best from an architectural pont of view, they are still in a crappy location.

Back