Immigration Ban

Damn those immigrants ... why couldn't they have actually shot those Texan hunters like the Texan hunters said the immigrants did.  Making our upstanding, Trump cheering , native born sons look bad ... the gall !

Or maybe the Texan hunters confused "Foot Shot" (in bold red font) and a Tequila shot , thereby shooting themselves in the foot :)
https://thinkprogress.org/texas-hun...t-each-other-cops-say-5607b0145119#.gao4cespw

Texas hunters who blamed immigrants actually shot each other, cops say

A Trump ally helped circulate the #gunfail tall tale.

Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller, a Trump ally, helped circulate a false story blaming border-crossers for a shootout between hunters in January.

When police first found a hunting guide and his client bleeding from gunshot wounds on a south Texas ranch in early January, everyone on the scene had their stories straight.

The hunters told police they suspected the shooters were undocumented immigrants they had seen on the ranch earlier in their trip. Their story soon jumped into online right-wing circles, thanks in part to Texas Commissioner of Agriculture and Donald Trump ally Sid Miller.

But it was a lie, according to police and, now, a grand jury. Investigators determined that guides Walker Daughetry and Michael Bryant in fact shot at one another by accident, striking Daughetry and hunter Edwin Roberts in the process. Daughetry and Bryant were indicted for third-degree felonies last Wednesday.

Miller, who previously courted online infamy with a vulgar tweet about Hillary Clinton during last year?s election campaign, deleted his initial Facebook post about the incident after news broke that police were suspicious of the hunters? story. But his leap to promote the hunters? story in the immediate wake of the shootings was more labor-intensive than simply sharing a news report.

Miller?s initial post included two pictures of Daugherty, including one showing him in his hospital bed hooked up to medical machinery. ?The aliendswere ambushing the RV that Walker and his wife. He was shot while trying to protect his hunters from the attack. Walker is a man of God and is now a hero,? Miller wrote (sic).

?This is why we need the wall and to secure our borders,? he wrote. (You can see the deleted post for yourself here.)

But Miller?s portrayal of the incident promotes the very paranoia about security along the border that appears to have played a role in the events that put Daughetry and Roberts in the hospital.

The actual incident, police say, occurred because Walker Daughetry got it into his head that border-crossers ?were inside the RV that Edwin and his wife were in, in an attempt to kidnap them. Instead of announcing himself, Walker allegedly tried opening the RV,? the local CBS news channel reports, prompting Roberts to fire a shot at the door.

Miller was reportedly being considered as a finalist to head Trump?s Department of Agriculture, up until the president nominated Georgia Republican Sonny Perdue for the job.

Loco_local said:
This is an ignorant jerk type of question to ask.
Perhaps, but I noticed she used to post all kinds of stories from there like it was her only source of international news.
Understood.  I certainly can treat people like that based on past behavior. 

Perspective said:
Loco_local said:
I feel safe knowing we have a president who gets his security briefings from Fox News.

If only! His other two sources are Breitbart and his soulmate Alex Jones.
It seems he uses a lot of news sources including liberal ones.  Problem is, they are all biased and flawed.

What, no mention of the riots in Stockholm last night? Trump's remark, criticized a few posts ago, turned out to be prophetic...

Was Trump right about Sweden after all? Riot breaks out in the Stockholm suburb the President was ridiculed for referring to in speech about immigration dangers

Rioters began setting fire to cars, throwing stones at police and looting shops in the Rinkeby district of Stockholm
Suburb, north of central Stockholm, has a population of 75 per cent immigrants
Donald Trump made his confusing remarks about immigration in Sweden at his Florida rally on Saturday

Police said in a statement that at least seven or eight cars were burned in the district, which has one of the largest immigrant populations in Stockholm, during Monday's disorder.

The suburb, north of central Stockholm, has a population made up of 75 per cent immigrants. 
'We will make sure to reestablish law and order,' Lars Bystr?m, press officer at the Stockholm police told Aftonbladet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4245322/Riots-Stockholm-suburb-Trump-mentioned-speech.html

I can't comment about the riot in Sweeden because I can't find an article that says exactly what happened ir who were wearing the masks.  Only that Trump said something about immigrants and the next day someone burned some cars in an immigrant neighborhood. From what I can tell the riots over the paedophilia speaker in Berkeley were much mire violent.

I'm like everyone else - I only read and gear and see what I want.

From

Loco_local said:
I can't comment about the riot in Sweeden because I can't find an article that says exactly what happened ir who were wearing the masks.  Only that Trump said something about immigrants and the next day someone burned some cars in an immigrant neighborhood. From what I can tell the riots over the paedophilia speaker in Berkeley were much mire violent.

From

Time to turn on your blinders eh?

Loco_local said:
From what I can tell the riots over the speaker in Berkeley were much mire violent.
Depends on the perspective.

They were throwing molotov cocktains at cars driving.  They were attacking police with rocks.  Original reports state that police fired warning shots.  Later reports state that the police got orders to shoot to kill.  Some shots were fired but missed.

spootieho said:
Depends on the perspective.

They were throwing molotov cocktains at cars driving.  They were attacking police with rocks.  Original reports state that police fired warning shots.  Later reports state that the police got orders to shoot to kill.  Some shots were fired but missed.

Shoot to kill in Sweden??? That's complete fantasy, I don't think you realize how different the US and Europe are when it comes to police use of force.

I will talk about France that I know better, these riots are nothing new and have been happening for a very long time just not very often. It's like saying France is discovering Islamic terrorism, France has been fighting Islamic since the 60s. It was not discovered on 9/11 like in the US.

I think when you are not used to it some events can look very scary and France has many problems when it comes to immigration. But I can also tell you than looking to the Us from the French side It looks like a very scary place: the police shooting and mass shooting are not something French people are use to.

Loco_local said:

From

I'm no video analyst at Langley buuut....Looks like riots to me, in a 75%  Muslim neighborhood, but I doubt we can connect the two together...that would be racist.
https://youtu.be/4QMe0Wou5HI

Perspective said:

The truth is hard to keep secret....

Actually, Sweden Is Having Big Trouble With Mideast Refugees

Sweden?s admirable humanitarianism is outstripping its capacity to absorb newcomers. Nothing if not an earnest and well-meaning society, Sweden has always accepted more than its share of refugees. Immigration was already at elevated levels before the latest influx into Europe from the Middle East, which prompted Sweden to try to see and raise the reckless open-borders policy of German chancellor Angela Merkel.

Sweden welcomed more than 160,000 asylum-seekers in 2015, including nearly 40,000 in October of that year alone. For a country of fewer than 10 million, this was almost equal to 2 percent of the population ? in one year. The flow doubled the number of asylum-seekers at the height of the Balkans crisis in 1992.

The foreign-born proportion of the Swedish population was 18 percent in 2016, double that of 1990. As of 2015, the most common county of origin for the foreign-born was Finland, which makes sense as it is a neighboring Scandinavian country. Next are Iraq and Syria.

Predictably, it isn?t easy to integrate people who don?t know the language, aren?t highly skilled, and come from a foreign culture. Sweden?s economic policies don?t help. As a report of the Migration Policy Institute put it politely, Sweden is ?an interesting case? because ?the state is committed to fostering large-scale immigration despite huge integration challenges in the labor market.?

There is a stark gap in the labor-force-participation rate between the native born (82 percent) and the foreign born (57 percent). As the Migration Policy Institute points out, Sweden is an advanced economy with relatively few low-skills jobs to begin with. On top of this, high minimum wages and stringent labor protections make it harder for marginal workers to find employment, while social assistance discourages the unemployed from getting work.

None of this is a formula for assimilation or social tranquility. In a piece for The Spectator, Swedish journalist Tove Lifvendahl writes, ?A parallel society is emerging where the state?s monopoly on law and order is being challenged.?

And the fiscal cost is high. According to Swedish economist Tino Sanandaji, the country spends 1.5 percent of its GDP on the asylum-seekers, more than on its defense budget. Sweden is spending twice the entire budget of the United Nations High Commissioner responsible for refugees worldwide. Pressed for housing, Sweden has spent as much on sheltering 3,000 people in tents as it would cost to care for 100,000 Syrian refugees in Jordan.

It is little wonder that Sweden, where so recently it was forbidden to question the open-handed orthodoxy on immigration, has now clamped down on its borders. Sweden is a unique case, but clearly one of the lessons of its recent experience is, Don?t try this at home.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/02/23/whats_happening_in_sweden_133163.html

Happiness said:
Starbucks brand perception goes down two thirds since announcing plans to hire 10,000 refugees:
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/starbucks-brand-perception-plummeted-since-220353319.html
Probably because people are sick of companies playing politics, which I think Starbucks was doing.

It sucks for the immigrant refugees who are stuck in the middle of this.  Conservatives need to stop losing focus and stop attacking the wrong targets.  You don't want to take more refugees, fine, I understand.  Don't disrespect the refugees who are already here, though.  We invited the refugee immigrants here and we should do our best to give them respect and treat them with dignity.

IMO, Starbucks would be a great place for immigrants to start as long as they are capable of doing the job.  They need to work somewhere.

Starbucks brand perception goes down two thirds since announcing plans to hire 10,000 refugees:

It wouldn't be such a bad thing if Starbucks had to close some stores. I had a roommate who hated Starbucks because they opened two stores on the same block of his family's shop which forced them out of business. The country would be better if one day the refugees could open their own cafe and replace the Starbucks on every block.

Loco_local said:

It wouldn't be such a bad thing if Starbucks had to close some stores. I had a roommate who hated Starbucks because they opened two stores on the same block of his family's shop which forced them out of business. The country would be better if one day the refugees could open their own cafe and replace the Starbucks on every block.

Is this a complaint? (Are you going to take the lead and compete against Starbucks?) 8)

I said things about Starbucks, but I do commend them offering health benefits and education program to its employees.

Like the president, I am just typing off of the top of my head without thought.

I was remembering the time when America was great and all of the local stores were family owned, not corporate.

I also think it's great that Starbucks hires refugees and provides health insurance to its employees.

A nice balance between the two would be great.

Back