ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
This thread has gone off the rails...

To get back on topic, our next car will most likely be a small/cheaper EV to use as a day to day city commuter. We rarely go beyond a 10 miles radius during the week (WFH yay!) and using a larger SUV for this kind of drive is a bit wasteful.

Seems like the perfect use case for a PHEV?

Even the country of oil believes in EVs:

One of the last nations you would expect to join the electric vehicle revolution, Saudi Arabia, has announced its intentions to build and export EVs. The world’s largest oil-exporting nation, Saudi Arabia, aims to export over 150,000 EVs in 2026.

Join the EV side!

You might be right, PHEV is still a fair amount cheaper when looking at models offering both versions.
Are there any PHEVs cheaper than the Bolt EV?

If it's going to be a local commuter, a cheap EV is a better choice so you won't have to worry about the maintenance of the ICE portion of the PHEV... and don't have to worry about gas going bad if you rarely use it. If you are planning to also use it on longer trips, that's where a PHEV may be a better use case.

I had a question for morekaos.

As a financial advisor, you are supposed to see trends that will make money for your clients... do you advise against anything EV-related?

Like you've pooped on Tesla forever... but... if you had invested in them when you first posted that they are going to die... you would be in such a good position now.

Traded through Tesla numerous times both long and short. Never taken a long term position in The stock. As to Long-term investment in the space the answer is “no”, certainly not yet. Shorted several companies successfully. Like i have pointed out, energy and inflation have outperformed by a wide margin this year. Way easier places to make money than the EV space.

My warehouse is always full of fucking black dust. It's from the propane my forklifts burn.
This black soot covers everything.

I will be replacing them with electric forklifts in the future.

I'm sure Saudi Arabia doesn't wanna breath that shit either.

While it may take as much pollution to create the battery for my EV, at least I can improve my own environment.

So it’s kinda a “NIMBY” attitude?… like California outsourcing most of its refinery capacity to other states or California outsourcing its battery production to Nevada. That doesn’t address the problem, it just transfers it elsewhere.

I need to fix the problem for myself before I can fix it for others.
NIMBY is different.

If NV wants the jobs and pollution they can have it.

My warehouse is always full of fucking black dust. It's from the propane my forklifts burn.
This black soot covers everything.

I will be replacing them with electric forklifts in the future.

I'm sure Saudi Arabia doesn't wanna breath that shit either.

While it may take as much pollution to create the battery for my EV, at least I can improve my own environment.

That black dust isn't from propane. It's combination rubber and carbon from the freeways. Overnight drift of freeway pollution ranges about a mile from freeway/main road (think Jamboree/Culver/Jeffery)

Oops, did I just point out Irvine is grid based on major roads spread one mile apart.

That black dust isn't from propane. It's combination rubber and carbon from the freeways. Overnight drift of freeway pollution ranges about a mile from freeway/main road (think Jamboree/Culver/Jeffery)

Oops, did I just point out Irvine is grid based on major roads spread one mile apart.
brtual data point. Never been more glad I live 4 miles from the freeway.

But what about the benefits of freeway close...

/sarcasm
The good news is you won’t hear the tinnitus until you are in the hospital from the heart attack the freeway noise gives you. Provided you survive.

Last edited:
Unicorns are coming!

Tesla Model Y took the top spot on the list of best-selling cars in Europe in September, and the electric SUV might stay there for a while.

Over the years, Tesla’s vehicles have often become the best-selling vehicles in certain European markets.

However, it never topped the list of best-selling cars in the entire European continent until now.

Not sure how good Europe's charging infrastructure is but this is a sign of where the world is headed.

What happened to the green revolution and green job creation? How to ruin a company but feel good about doing it…

The Ford Ultimatum: Car maker gives 'underperforming' white collar staff choice between severance or six-week enhancement plan amid $3 BILLION cuts and stocks sliding 39% this year

· Underperforming staff with at least eight years' experience to be offered payoff

· They can also opt for an intensive 'enhancement plan' which lasts up to six weeks

· Michigan-based manufacturer post losses of $827million in most recent quarter

· Ford also plans to cut 3,000 jobs as it shifts its focus towards electric vehicles

Ford’s cost-cutting plans are part of attempts to fund its transition to electric vehicles.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ges-underperforming-white-collar-workers.html

What happened to the green revolution and green job creation? How to ruin a company but feel good about doing it…

The Ford Ultimatum: Car maker gives 'underperforming' white collar staff choice between severance or six-week enhancement plan amid $3 BILLION cuts and stocks sliding 39% this year

· Underperforming staff with at least eight years' experience to be offered payoff

· They can also opt for an intensive 'enhancement plan' which lasts up to six weeks

· Michigan-based manufacturer post losses of $827million in most recent quarter

· Ford also plans to cut 3,000 jobs as it shifts its focus towards electric vehicles

Ford’s cost-cutting plans are part of attempts to fund its transition to electric vehicles.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ges-underperforming-white-collar-workers.html
the dirty truth is that EVs require a couple orders of magnitude less factory workers but a cr*pload more sw engineers, chemists and material scientists. It's a good thing SCOTUS is going to end affirmative action in college admissions so we can encourage the best and brightest to pursue STEM careers without the inertia introduced by DEI.

Back