ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Just not ready for Prime time….

After massive bus fire, CT pulls electric fleet from service

One day after officials touted the passage of the Connecticut Clean Air Act, including plans for thousands of electric vehicles to hit the road, one of the state-run electric buses caught on fire over the weekend.

A fleet of 11 electric buses belonging to CT Transit in Connecticut is still out of service following a massive battery fire that occurred in July, the state’s Department of Transportation says.

In July, a battery fire caused an electric bus to burst into flames in Hamden, Connecticut. Luckily, no one died in the inferno, although two transit workers and two firefighters were hospitalized as a result of the blaze, and a federal investigation was triggered.

The cost of the electric bus that was destroyed in the battery fire was about $900,000, the Department of Transportation said.

Following the fire, CT Transit replaced its electric buses with traditional diesel models.

https://www.nhregister.com/news/article/After-massive-bus-fire-CT-pulls-electric-fleet-17329085.php

With California banning new ICE sale in 2035, I guess CA dealers will mark up new 2034 ICE models by 100% and people will still buy or buy out of state and drive back to CA…

Creating good American, long term, “green” jobs!!!! Wait..wahhh?...

Stellantis to Shutter Jeep Cherokee Plant Over “Increasing Cost Related to the Electrification of the Automotive Market”

Multinational automaker Stellantis, which formed last year in a merger between Italian-American conglomerate Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and the French PSA Group, is shuttering a plant in Illinois that produces the Jeep Cherokee. The left’s push for the green agenda is crippling businesses who are trying to keep up with forced wokeness. The automotive industry is being hit hard and their troubles are just getting started.

https://www.wifr.com/2022/12/09/stellantis-idle-belvidere-assembly-plant-feb-28/

Tesla wanted to do home delivery instead of picking my MY up from Irvine location. I want to do pickup so i can inspect and not accept delivery if I have to. Anyone experiences with Tesla home delivery? I read somewhere that they actually drive the car over instead of using tow truck. That’s freaken cheap from a car company with biggest market cap. Elon grabs me by the balls.

Tesla wanted to do home delivery instead of picking my MY up from Irvine location. I want to do pickup so i can inspect and not accept delivery if I have to. Anyone experiences with Tesla home delivery? I read somewhere that they actually drive the car over instead of using tow truck. That’s freaken cheap from a car company with biggest market cap. Elon grabs me by the balls.
My co-worker said that the guy who delivers it drives it over and then takes Uber back. I decided to do pickup instead of delivery because I needed help to get the app on my wife's iPhone to work.

My co-worker said that the guy who delivers it drives it over and then takes Uber back. I decided to do pickup instead of delivery because I needed help to get the app on my wife's iPhone to work.
I was able to persuade SA to let me do a pickup at Barranca location.

Tesla really wants people to take delivery this year instead of waiting for EV rebate in 2023. They offer few incentives for December delivery. They gave me $3750 discount ($4k total with included sale tax), free 10k miles on their superchargers. Oh yeah, gave me $50 price adjustment on wall charger due to recent price adjustment.

Elon is desperate 😎

Speaking of ICE vs EV check out this awesome production quality like youtube video

Elon pushing for those 2022 total numbers.

But orders getting canceled because used car market is taking a dive. People were buying Teslas and flipping them and can't do that anymore.

Hopefully the next few years will see better pricing on EVs so that morekaos can afford one. :)

Elon pushing for those 2022 total numbers.

But orders getting canceled because used car market is taking a dive. People were buying Teslas and flipping them and can't do that anymore.

Hopefully the next few years will see better pricing on EVs so that morekaos can afford one. :)

There's been a few cancellation on Taycans from what I've heard on Rennlist so there are dealers who have some that are sitting on the lot for MSRP. Just like the real estate market and stock market, the car market is beginning to roll over (used car market more so than new cars).

There's been a few cancellation on Taycans from what I've heard on Rennlist so there are dealers who have some that are sitting on the lot for MSRP. Just like the real estate market and stock market, the car market is beginning to roll over (used car market more so than new cars).
The used car market started cooling end of October when we tried to sell the Honda Fit after picking up the Model 3. We were quoted around $17,500 cash offer ($17,500 to $19,500 trade-in value) from KBB a week before, but a few days later we only got $14,000 offers from CarMax and a Nissan dealer in Irvine (that was planning to auction it). The Nissan dealer was one of the dealers that KBB referred to. We were able to sell it to RSM Honda used car dealer (another dealer that KBB referred to) for $16,000 at the end.

The used car market started cooling end of October when we tried to sell the Honda Fit after picking up the Model 3. We were quoted around $17,500 cash offer ($17,500 to $19,500 trade-in value) from KBB a week before, but a few days later we only got $14,000 offers from CarMax and a Nissan dealer in Irvine (that was planning to auction it). The Nissan dealer was one of the dealers that KBB referred to. We were able to sell it to RSM Honda used car dealer (another dealer that KBB referred to) for $16,000 at the end.

Yeah the used car market continues to bleed lower by the week (about 1% from what I heard) so glad that you got rid of the car with a decent price. The number of Porsches on AutoTrader/Cars.com/etc keeps growing every week as well so things are slowing with cars across the board.

Me likey! Saving my nickels...eventually the rising value of the piggy bank will intersect with the falling values of a used Turbo S. Hope I can still get in and out of it by then. :D

Me likey! Saving my nickels...eventually the rising value of the piggy bank will intersect with the falling values of a used Turbo S. Hope I can still get in and out of it by then. :D

The newer 992 Turbo S? That's a nice looking rocket ship.

Thought we were talking about Taycans?

The Taycan Tubro S has whiplash torque from what I've heard and seen on videos, it's like ludicrous speed mode. haha When things start to normalize it should start seeing some serious depreciation. I'm sure my GTS will depreciate a good bit as well but I only got about $10k of options on it and I'm using it as my business vehicle so that will cushion the depreciation blow.

It's not as quick as the Plaid...but either is more than quick enough for me. The meaningful difference, from what I've read, is that the Taycan lives up to its reputation as a Porsche, whereas the Plaid lives up to its reputation as a Tesla lol.

In today’s current environment what factors should those who are considering EVs deeply analyze about purchasing or leasing? The fact that you can’t purchase a Tesla at lease end, expected technological improvements (particularly battery) during the next three years, expected depreciation of EVs (will they even start depreciating?), and should you wait as more choices become available? Just a few ideas I had, but I’m sure the forum experts have many others.

From a green viewpoint I wish the production of the batteries and all electrical sources were way more green. The disposal of these batteries is also horrendous (google it) - coming up with a recycling option would be far more beneficial to the environment than switching from ICE to EV, imho.

I also did a cost analysis comparing the MB GLB vs QLB - not because I recommend either - just because it a direct comparison based solely on EV vs ICE. I’m paying a $20K premium for EV. That buys a lot of petrol so the payback period exceeds how long I will own the car. EV lower maintenance but higher insurance. I also find it odd that both BMW and MB have a complete line of EVs in Europe but their selection here will be pretty limited for the near future. Then I worry about growing pains with electric technology and who’s going to fix everything…

Is insurance really higher for EVs? I was paying $670/6 mos for my Prius Prime and Honda Fit before and now I'm paying $675 for the Prius and Model 3, although I had to change to Costco insurance (which seems to be very EV friendly). I also need to mention that previously with Mercury, I also had the bundle discount with the home insurance, but now I don't since Costco insurance won't cover my home (too close to fire hazard zone).

I also did a cost analysis comparing the MB GLB vs QLB - not because I recommend either - just because it a direct comparison based solely on EV vs ICE. I’m paying a $20K premium for EV.
Is the EQB really $20k more than the GLB? I thought it was less than $15k difference? Have to compare the 4Matic because the EQB is a 4Matic.

It's not as quick as the Plaid...but either is more than quick enough for me. The meaningful difference, from what I've read, is that the Taycan lives up to its reputation as a Porsche, whereas the Plaid lives up to its reputation as a Tesla lol.

Yeah the build quality of the Taycan is on par with what is it for all other Porsches (I've driven in my friend's Taycan Cross Turismo several times). There's been strong demand for the Taycan but there's also been supply chain constraints (lack of batteries) so both of those have kept resale values higher than they would have been otherwise. I got super luck as I got my allocation from someone who was letting it go and it was still configurable and best of all the dealer (in Virginia) required a non-refundable deposit back in June so I got granfathered to the $7,500 tax credit.

Back