ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Is insurance really higher for EVs? I was paying $670/6 mos for my Prius Prime and Honda Fit before and now I'm paying $675 for the Prius and Model 3, although I had to change to Costco insurance (which seems to be very EV friendly). I also need to mention that previously with Mercury, I also had the bundle discount with the home insurance, but now I don't since Costco insurance won't cover my home (too close to fire hazard zone).

My Taycan should be arriving this week so I'll find out how much more the Taycan will be compared to my Macan (although the Taycan is about 2x more expensive so I'm fully expecting my insurance cost to go up by 30-50% from the Macan).

Dollars and cents…dollars and cents…The only auto stock I own straddles the top of the heap…unicorns and rainbows have disappointed their flock.

AUTOS

Tesla made headlines in 2022, but the top-performing auto stock had nothing to do with EVs

· This year in auto stocks wasn’t just about Elon Musk and Tesla.

· The automaker with the lowest decline was Ferrari.

· Many once-promising EV startups were among the biggest losers.

Many once-promising EV startups were among the biggest losers, as some ran into capital troubles or couldn’t scale production as quickly as anticipated. Rivian, Lucid, Canoo and Nikola experienced 76% declines or more year to date.

The company with the smallest decline was Ferrari, which year to date is only down by about 18% − making it the year’s best-performing automaker stock.

What drove that performance? For starters, the storied maker of high-end sports cars isn’t like other automakers: it’s expected to sell roughly 13,000 of its jewel-like sports cars by year’s end − fewer than giants like General Motors sell in a day. But those coveted cars go out the door at an average selling price of around $322,000 each, according to FactSet estimates.

Even at those prices, the waiting list for a Ferrari is long. The company limits its annual production to preserve its pricing power and exclusivity, a happy situation that gives Ferrari exceptionally strong profit margins and ensures that its factory isn’t likely to be idled anytime soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/28/top...rce=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.Mail

Generator works better
Sure but what if you can't get to a gas station to fill up said generator?

The Lightning can also charge the house from INSIDE the garage... as far as I know, gas generators have to be outside (in the inclement weather).

And if it's one of those smaller generators... how long will it last?

Maybe an electric generator. :)

…So how much will that cost vs a $900.00 5kw gas generator from Costco powered for weeks from your cars gas tank. What happens when the “Lightning” runs out of juice?...plug it back in? Who spends this kind of money? I’ll stick to my plan and my family will be sufficient for however long it may take. Besides my Bronco will continue to pump out greenhouse gasses that hopefully will increase global warming so this shouldn’t be an issue for long….😂😂😂

What You’ll Need for the Lightning’s Intelligent Backup Power

1. Ford F-150 Lightning

It’s pretty self-explanatory: You can’t power your home with an F-150 Lightning ($80,000.00? )without, well, having an F-150 Lightning.

2. Ford Charge Station Pro

The 80-amp version of Ford’s in-home charging station ($$$$?) comes standard with the extended-range version of the Lightning, and it’s optional with the standard-range version. It’s a necessary part of this equation.

3. Home Integration System

This system is sold and installed by Sunrun ($$$$$?) , a solar energy company, in partnership with Ford. It’s similar to the setup you’d need to have solar panels power your home. The system includes a power inverter, “dark start” battery (which enables the battery to operate without the need for a power grid) and transfer switch. Where feasible, Sunrun can also install solar panels at your home.

Iced out! Furious Tesla owners share videos of their cars failing to work in harsh winter snowstorm as arctic temperatures freeze doors shut

· Rachel Modestino, a meteorologist from Canada, was locked out of her Tesla on December 23 after a massive winter storm last week

· Modestino shared a now viral video of her car that was partially frozen

· Temperatures in Ontario hit a low of five degrees on Friday

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...cars-failing-work-harsh-winter-snowstorm.html

Joe Rogan recently did an expose on the slavery and child labor that goes into mining cobalt for each and every electric car battery. His guest was Harvard professor and slavery expert Siddharth Kara.

maxresdefault.jpg

gold-mine-Congo-44.jpg

EMDCcgzWwAAUtyD-1.jpg

Remember, every time you cruise around Irvine in your luxury Tesla or Taycan, an enslaved child made that experience possible for you.

So ICE cars are totally free from any type of questionable labor force? Oil industry too?

Glass house.
Please provide evidence for your assertions. Most oil industry jobs are high paying.

With EV's you have a clear choice, enslave poor Africans for your personal gain and comfort.... or don't.

IHO making false equivalence arguments:
leonardo-dicaprio-django-unchained.jpg

What is interesting about the cobalt needed for lithium batteries is the vast majority of it comes from the Congo in mines with horrendous labor conditions. If you're using a little bit of lithium ion battery for your cell phone, maybe you supported a Congo mine, maybe not, it's such a small amount of cobalt in that battery. And people are treated greaaat at Foxconn and they definitely don't have anti suicide nets around the buildings. But, an EV battery has upwards of 15kg of cobalt, so you can be fairly confident at least some of it was sourced by slave and/or child labor in the Congo.

It's also truly fascinating that no major news outlets are coving this story. Don't they hate Elon for being mean to journalists? Come on media, go after Elon and blame him for using slave/child labor sourced Cobalt in his EVs and Powerwalls. Sounds like they prefer their their "EVs will cure climate change" narrative more than helping Congo labor conditions. Besides, the government money spigot is still on full blast for "green" technology.

Welp, time for another booster shot and remember to pray for Ukraine by sending them another $45B of aid in the most recent omnibus bill.

The Tesla Model 3 RWD sold since a year ago have used a Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) battery instead of the NMC (Nickel Manganese Cobalt). Are any other EVs using LFP?

This is working great…

Snow go for NYC’s electric garbage trucks that can’t handle winter weather

Don’t count on seeing electric garbage trucks plowing snow from city streets any time soon.

The city Department of Sanitation's goals to become carbon neutral are clashing with the limits of electric-powered vehicles.

The department aims to switch all 6,000 vehicles in its fleet from gas to electric as part of the state’s goal to reduce emissions by 2040. But city officials say they haven’t found electric garbage trucks that are powerful enough to plow snow.

The department has ordered seven electric rear loader garbage trucks, custom-made by Mack and costing more than $523,000 each, with delivery slated for the spring. Used for curbside trash collection, the department’s current rear loader truck fleet runs on diesel and is outfitted with plows to clear streets during snow season.

But officials say previous electric trucks tested by sanitation have not lasted longer than four hours plowing snow before running out of power, and the new electric trucks will be used for trash collection but not plowing snow.

“We found that they could not plow the snow effectively – they basically conked out after four hours. We need them to go 12 hours,” Sanitation Commissioner Jessica Tisch told the City Council last month. “Given the current state of the technology, I don't see today a path forward to fully electrifying the rear loader portion of the fleet by 2040.

https://gothamist.com/news/snow-go-for-nycs-electric-garbage-trucks-that-cant-handle-winter-weather

False equivalency? Is that the new "strawman" retort. Hilarious.

Cliche gonna cliche.
Just as I thought! You have no evidence for your assertion that oil industry jobs are just as "questionable". You employ the twisted rationalization of somebody personally invested in the slave economy.

If it wasn't for fossil fuel driven climate change, it wouldn't snow so much. :)
The "genius" of the man-made caused climate change argument is any apparent change can be attributed to man-made causes. Since change is constant, well, the believers constantly confirm their beliefs.

Too much snow? Man's fault, buy an EV. Not enough rain? Man's fault, buy an EV. Too hot? Man's fault, buy an EV. Disagree? You're obviously ignorant to The Science(TM).

Back