Garage Epoxy

snowblind40 said:
Thought I would share my new Garage Floor with you guys. Went with Premier Garage/Tailored Living, told them Zerolot from TalkIrvine recommended them. Chose Smoke color. Total was around $1550 for 20x20 garage with stem walls. Got a 5% discount from Angie's list.

Looks good.  We are actually also going with Premiere Garage and chose a very similar pattern as yours.  Thanks also for mentioning about the 5% off from Angie's List ... I will ask them about that :)

GH said:
snowblind40 said:
Thought I would share my new Garage Floor with you guys. Went with Premier Garage/Tailored Living, told them Zerolot from TalkIrvine recommended them. Chose Smoke color. Total was around $1550 for 20x20 garage with stem walls. Got a 5% discount from Angie's list.

Looks good.  We are actually also going with Premiere Garage and chose a very similar pattern as yours.  Thanks also for mentioning about the 5% off from Angie's List ... I will ask them about that :)

Premiere Garage does offer a referral credit.  Anyone that wants to give me credit please PM and I'll split it on the side with you.  I did that with Chairman and Snowblind already.

Or split it with someone else on TI you know.  If you don't mention specific  names, then no one gets the referral credit.
  ;)

Update 1/27/2015 - Premiere is no longer offering the referral credit to me.  You can try going with the Angie's List discount.  Best of luck with your epoxy adventures!

Has anyone get quotes for commercial grade for less than $1600?
I think this much to paint the garage floor is a bit too much.  Are all vendors charging this price?

lovingit said:
I think this much to paint the garage floor is a bit too much.  Are all vendors charging this price?

Yes, unfortunately. I also felt it was way too costly considering they send one person for 3 hours x 2 days.
I looked at three vendors; all three quoted around $1475 to $1600.
I also looked up commercial grade epoxy material kit, so I can do this myself. But the material alone costs around $950.

Perkins Coating uses Spartaflex.  One-day install, two-day dry time.

Here's mine by Perkins.

IMG_0751_zps9474adcf.jpg

Sam78 said:
lovingit said:

Yes, unfortunately. I also felt it was way too costly considering they send one person for 3 hours x 2 days.
I also looked up commercial grade epoxy material kit, so I can do this myself. But the material alone costs around $950.

A quality epoxy job is more about the material than the labor.  The material should be the bulk of the pricing.  If it's done right it will never peel and will be easy to clean and maintain.

As with anything else in a brand new house, it's all an investment.  If I'm spending 10K+ on engineered wood throughout the house, I finished the look with epoxy in my garage.

The kids couldn't stop hanging out in the garage (with epoxy) during the housewarming party.  They loved bringing in toys into the garage and sitting on the smooth floors.  That alone is worth the investment in epoxy in my opinion.

Sam78 said:
lovingit said:

Your not just paying for direct labor and materials. Your paying for their office space, company trucks, Admin costs and profits. It's  like when people want to pay their gardeners $9/hour without regard for their cost of their equipment, truck, profit, etc.

ZeroLot said:
Sam78 said:
lovingit said:

A quality epoxy job is more about the material than the labor.  If it's done right, it will never peel and will be easy to clean and maintain.

As with anything else in a brand new house, it's all about the investment.  But it's ultimately a luxury item, like hardwood floors.

You are also paying for someone to come out to fix problems if there is an issue. 

A couple of neighbors did DIY epoxy and it looks like crap IMO.  If you don't do the proper preparation of the floor the epoxy could look very inconsistent like someone spray painted on the floor.  Definitely, rent the tools necessary like the diamond grinder if you're going to DIY.

irvinehomeowner said:
ZeroLot said:
The kids couldn't stop hanging out in the garage (with epoxy) during the housewarming party.
The Evite must have went to my spam filter. :(

So who did you end up catering with?

Darn that Evite!  So sorry :(

We went with Urban Plates (free range chicken) and Stonefire Grill (Tri Tip).  I was very impressed with Urban Plates providing so many plastic utensils and tongs for all their side dishes. 

Wasn't so into their salad.  Next time I'll custom order the salad so there's less toppings on it.  The kids like it just plain and with salad dressing from Curry House.

The courtyard design made the party a HUGE success.  We played several games in the courtyard and didn't have to worry about cars hitting the kids.  Our neighbors were super nice and allowed us to use the entire courtyard for the festivities.

All our friends/family that visited were impressed at how spacious the courtyard design was.  At one particular time we had 50 people at the house (with 17 little kids running wild and crazy).  Anyone with kids ... 17 little kids = to 50 kids. ;D

lovingit said:

I think the price is quite reasonable.  I had it done through Premier Garage for about the same price and extremely happy with the result. 

If you are getting a very good quality product and very satisfy with the result, you will soon forget how much you pay for them.  But if you try to save few hundred dollars and got an inferior product and not happy with it,  you will never forget how much money you pay for them. 

lnc said:
If you are getting a very good quality product and very satisfy with the result, you will soon forget how much you pay for them.  But if you try to save few hundred dollars and got an inferior product and not happy with it,  you will never forget how much money you pay for them.

Words of wisdom here.

Inc, now you made me think about my one regret - how much I spent on my honeycomb shades.  :'(

lnc said:
lovingit said:

I think the price is quite reasonable.  I had it done through Premier Garage for about the same price and extremely happy with the result. 

But if you don't spend on expoxy floor, you even save more.

eyephone said:
lnc said:
lovingit said:

If you don't buy a house, you even save LOTS more!

ZeroLot said:
eyephone said:
lnc said:
lovingit said:

If you don't buy a house, you even save LOTS more!

Solution: just rent

i wanted to do the epoxy in the garage. my wife didnt think it made sense to spend 1500 on flooring for the garage when she could buy another purse.  ultimately, i would have to agree.  its the garage. even if i epoxied it, we are not spending any more time in there than we do now.

qwerty said:
i wanted to do the epoxy in the garage. my wife didnt think it made sense to spend 1500 on flooring for the garage when she could buy another purse.  ultimately, i would have to agree.  its the garage. even if i epoxied it, we are not spending any more time in there than we do now.
Yeah... I still don't understand spending so much on garage flooring.

Most of the time our cars are in ours... so we don't even see it.

I guess it's good for Mahjong or Ping Pong... but then I would rather it be carpeted (just throw those carpet squares down).

Back