Garage Epoxy

marmott said:
For us it made the garage much easier to clean (just mop it from time to time) and less dusty.

The aesthetic is a plus but not a must.

But it's the garage...if there is a spill..it just messes up the concrete.

I don't think I ever mopped the garage of my parents' place...swept a few times but it's the garage.

Irvinecommuter said:
marmott said:
For us it made the garage much easier to clean (just mop it from time to time) and less dusty.

The aesthetic is a plus but not a must.

But it's the garage...if there is a spill..it just messes up the concrete.

I don't think I ever mopped the garage of my parents' place...swept a few times but it's the garage.

Some people work in their garages more than others and prefer the epoxy look and ease of clean up.  I think this item definitely isn't great on ROI from a resale perspective but so are many things in your house/yard.  Sometimes you do things for you and that's ok.  And to answer Cares' question, we did one less than a year ago and paid $1500 with premier.  2 car garage.

Premier also gave out referral checks when I did the epoxy in 2017, think they may still do that, I put down a friend and he split the money with me.  Feel free to PM me if they still do, I'll split it with whoever 50/50.   

Garage Remedy completed our 3CG, along with cabinets and other organizers. The Epoxy and Flake ran $1,495. Not sure if that was discounted because of the other stuff we ordered. Happy with the quality of work. Some items of note:

Got junk in the garage? Might want to rent a Pod.

Wow new garage floor... man... those walls now look pretty shiatty. Time to pay a painter to spruce the space up. Best to get it done before the new floor.

The Epoxy smell lingers for at least 48 hours. If your FAU is in the garage, it's not wise to use it while the floor is curing. You never know what all those fumes packed in a confined space will do.

Got cars? Hope there's parking. Even on our street we have very limited parking options. Wish I would have asked some of the neighbors to park in their drive way while the work was being done, perhaps even overnight.

Good luck with the decision. Our home is a 1994 vintage property and there were some hairline cracks in the floor, prior owners oil stains, etc. Now it looks great. I know $1500 is a lot, but believe it was worth it.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
Garage Remedy completed our 3CG, along with cabinets and other organizers. The Epoxy and Flake ran $1,495. Not sure if that was discounted because of the other stuff we ordered. Happy with the quality of work. Some items of note:

Got junk in the garage? Might want to rent a Pod.

Wow new garage floor... man... those walls now look pretty shiatty. Time to pay a painter to spruce the space up. Best to get it done before the new floor.

The Epoxy smell lingers for at least 48 hours. If your FAU is in the garage, it's not wise to use it while the floor is curing. You never know what all those fumes packed in a confined space will do.

Got cars? Hope there's parking. Even on our street we have very limited parking options. Wish I would have asked some of the neighbors to park in their drive way while the work was being done, perhaps even overnight.

Good luck with the decision. Our home is a 1994 vintage property and there were some hairline cracks in the floor, prior owners oil stains, etc. Now it looks great. I know $1500 is a lot, but believe it was worth it.

My .02c

Thanks for that data point. Can you share how many/what type of cabinets you put in and approx what the total was?

I can PM the details. As it's a work in progress we're putting in more shelving and cabinets this week to complete the look Soylent Red is wanting.

My .02c .... and counting.....

Soylent Green Is People said:
I can PM the details. As it's a work in progress we're putting in more shelving and cabinets this week to complete the look Soylent Red is wanting.

My .02c .... and counting.....
That'll be much appreciated, thanks!

I used Premier Garage/Tailored Living (https://www.yelp.com/biz/tailored-living-of-greater-orange-county-lake-forest) several years ago. I paid $1630 for my 2 car garage and thought they did a good job.

I'm looking to see if anyone has more recent pricing/experiences.

We just got epoxy for our new construction home's 2-car garage 3 months ago. It was $1480 with Concrete Creations. The crew was Kevin (prep), Sergio (main guy), and Brian. After mine, I saw them around the community doing several other garages.

Make sure the job is done over 2 days (at least). Day 1 is the prep and epoxy. Day 2 is the polyurethane coating (also called polyaspartic coating). Make sure the polyurethane is not done on the same day as the epoxy. That is a shortcut that some companies are doing to maximize the number of total jobs they can fit into a set number of hours. When it's done all in 1 day, the final outcome is never as hard as over 2 days. You want the surface to be as hard as possible, so it will last as long as possible.

Both 1-day and 2-day installations should cost around $1500. If a company wants more, turn them down. There are so many out there who will do at $1500, so that will NOT be an issue.

Another thing to consider is the prep work (which I don't want to talk about). Just make sure you read a few sites online about the 2 basic methods to grind the concrete. Even a brand new house, like mine, needs the concrete surface to be grinded down. Some crews will use either one of the 2 main grinding methods and some crews will use a combination of both. It really doesn't matter, as long as they do the grinding.

A third issue is when you have a bit of concrete vertical "lip" that rises above the concrete floor and below the bottom of the drywall. Ideally, they should use a white primer to prep that before the epoxy. Some crews skip that step, but it's better to make sure they do it to avoid premature peeling.

I paid $1200 for a 2 car garage a little over a year ago. Unfortunately, the guy I used moved away from SoCal. I think when I was looking $1500 was average for a 2 car garage. I do echo that a 2-day job will probably have better lasting results than a 1-day job, but I'm no expert.

CogNeuroSci said:
We just got epoxy for our new construction home's 2-car garage 3 months ago. It was $1480 with Concrete Creations. The crew was Kevin (prep), Sergio (main guy), and Brian. After mine, I saw them around the community doing several other garages.

Any pictures you can share of your garage floor? Does Concrete Creations have a website or showroom?

I'll post the pics here.

Just to let anyone know, the company I used is Concrete Creations but there are other vendors with that name on Yelp. One of those phone numbers is theirs, but I don't remember which one. However, I do have Kevin's (the prep guy) cell phone: (949)568-7614.

Attachments

• 20210104_124250 copy.jpg
    20210104_124250 copy.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 180
  • 20210104_125440 copy.jpg
    20210104_125440 copy.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 20210104_125747 copy.jpg
    20210104_125747 copy.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 20210108_160121 copy.jpg
    20210108_160121 copy.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 195
This looks like a perfect place to get clarification for my confusion. I am planning to get epoxy done for my 2 car garage. The person gave me option to choose from Home Depot (Rust Oleum) or Industrial Grade 100 % solid epoxy. I am a novice in this field and wanted to know which one did you choose and why. Thanks!

CogNeuroSci said:
I'll post the pics here.

Just to let anyone know, the company I used is Concrete Creations but there are other vendors with that name on Yelp. One of those phone numbers is theirs, but I don't remember which one. However, I do have Kevin's (the prep guy) cell phone: (949)568-7614.

Thank you for sharing. Mind how much you paid for this work?

Do not use the Home Depot stuff. I find it strange that the installer would ask you if you wanted the rust-o-leum. Sounds like he's just some handyman and not a real epoxy pro. Trying to save money?

Back