Flooring with Outside Contractor

Coleman said:
qwerty said:
ZeroLot said:
qwerty said:
bones said:
I just started pricing out flooring with outside contractor versus flooring through builder and I'm not really finding the same savings you guys are.  We are mainly interested in just doing wood through an outside contractor.  Tile - we will go through the builder for warranty in the wet areas.  Carpet - the overall cost isn't THAT much to justify contracting out (IMHO).

We settled on a Provenza wood from their Old World Collection.  Builder is quoting me approximately $13 PSF and the outside contractors are coming in around $10-11 PSF.  Total wood SF is around 1,000 SF.  So about $2k worth of savings - not sure if it's worth all the hassle.  Thinking we will just go through the builder and have the house all done prior to getting keys.

Breakdown I got from 2 guys - both very similar.
$6-7 material
$3-4 install (includes glue)
$1-2 to demo any tiled areas/reinstall baseboards

yes, for 2K go with the builder, not worth the potential headache. some folks here would go through an outside contractor to save $10.

It's 2K + annual property tax on that 2K as long as you live there.

a whopping $20/year, what is the average stay in a house, 7 years? so an extra $140 for the convenience and peace of mind. Im sure bones can sell an old LV and pay for the increased taxes

That's insulting!  That's a typical OC purse!  Maybe she'll sell a Celine, Mulberry, MJ, Balenciaga, or YSL bag. 

Coleman, I think you know a little too much about bags.  I don't recognize any of these bag you just mention.

We just got our flooring done by Tompkins.  Our installer (George) did a great job.  He was very thorough and professional.  He is very good in communication and gave excellent advice.  Our wood and tile floors look great.  I would really recommend him.  If any one needs his contact number, please PM me. 

On the topic of wood flooring, I notice that the wire-brushed, cured-oil finish like the Provenza Old World style is the trend.

Do these hold up any better than the previous, hand-scraped, distressed darker wood from the previous trend?

Supposedly the wire-brushed, oil-cured oak floors are supposed to be sturdier (the wire brushing removes the softer wood) but I've seen some samples at a flooring store and they show perpendicular scratches more easily than the distressed style.

bones said:
bones said:
I just started pricing out flooring with outside contractor versus flooring through builder and I'm not really finding the same savings you guys are.  We are mainly interested in just doing wood through an outside contractor.  Tile - we will go through the builder for warranty in the wet areas.  Carpet - the overall cost isn't THAT much to justify contracting out (IMHO).

We settled on a Provenza wood from their Old World Collection.  Builder is quoting me approximately $13 PSF and the outside contractors are coming in around $10-11 PSF.  Total wood SF is around 1,000 SF.  So about $2k worth of savings - not sure if it's worth all the hassle.  Thinking we will just go through the builder and have the house all done prior to getting keys.

$6-7 material

Just following up on this again today.  Every outside contractor I spoke to gave me the same above pricing (OC Flooring on Jamboree, Hardwood Flooring Authority on Research Drive and one other).  Waiting for Venetian to get back to me, but based on other TI members' experience with Venetian, I don't expect them to come back to me cheaper than the $11 PSF I'm getting quoted elsewhere.  I suppose there is room for negotiations with all of these guys but I'm thinking at best, I get them down to $10 PSF.

So with my builder at $13 PSF, I will just go with them.  It is good to know that my builder is actually "pretty reasonable" in their pricing (versus IP).  I have been pleasantly surprised at some of the "included" stuff that comes with the house already and also at how "reasonable" some of the various upgrades have been.  I expected to pay a big # for flooring and even with Provenza Old World and a mid to high end carpet and decent porcelain tiles choices in the various bathrooms, we are coming in less that I anticipated.  One of these days, after I close, I'll do a complete review :)

Edit: Venetian came in around $12 PSF

I just had my meeting with Eric and Venetian only does glued down wood floors and they come with 5 1/4 baseboards.  You should ask how your builder's contractor is planning on installing the wood flooring.  $13/foot is a good deal with the builder and less hassle down the road.

I'm not saying to go with Venetian, I'm actually not going with Venetian.  My meeting with Eric was ok but there were some red flags and uncomfortable moments.  But I did learn a few things about installation of flooring from my meeting with him.

Now I just have to decide .... glued vs floating floors. 

ZeroLot said:
bones said:
bones said:

$6-7 material

Just following up on this again today.  Every outside contractor I spoke to gave me the same above pricing (OC Flooring on Jamboree, Hardwood Flooring Authority on Research Drive and one other).  Waiting for Venetian to get back to me, but based on other TI members' experience with Venetian, I don't expect them to come back to me cheaper than the $11 PSF I'm getting quoted elsewhere.  I suppose there is room for negotiations with all of these guys but I'm thinking at best, I get them down to $10 PSF.

So with my builder at $13 PSF, I will just go with them.  It is good to know that my builder is actually "pretty reasonable" in their pricing (versus IP).  I have been pleasantly surprised at some of the "included" stuff that comes with the house already and also at how "reasonable" some of the various upgrades have been.  I expected to pay a big # for flooring and even with Provenza Old World and a mid to high end carpet and decent porcelain tiles choices in the various bathrooms, we are coming in less that I anticipated.  One of these days, after I close, I'll do a complete review :)

I just had my meeting with Eric and Venetian only does glued down wood floors and they come with 5 1/4 baseboards.  You should ask how your builder's contractor is planning on installing the wood flooring.  $13/foot is a good deal with the builder and less hassle down the road.

I'm not saying to go with Venetian, I'm actually not going with Venetian.  My meeting with Eric was ok but there were some red flags and uncomfortable moments.  But I did learn a few things about installation of flooring from my meeting with him.

Care to elaborate on the red flags and it got weird moments?  Want to see if they are still dependable.

They over estimated my sq ft by a significant amount. Way higher than another guy I had measure and when I did it myself. They won't do any wood flooring that they don't carry. They also don't use the best glue and were not as forthcoming with providing itemized pricing. Their sales guy Eric was a nice guy though.

ZeroLot said:
bones said:
bones said:

$6-7 material

From my experience you do not want to float your floor. It can bubble later due to weather and moisture (even with a moisture barrier). I would say glue all the way.

ps9 said:
Care to elaborate on the red flags and it got weird moments?  Want to see if they are still dependable.

I met Eric at the model home, which was expected.  When I arrived he was on the phone.  He greeted me and asked me to wait.  So I waited .  Eventually he sat down and kept on talking.  I waited some more.  Then his conversation continued and he asked me to look around the model.  Why should I step out of my model home?  Red Flag and Weird #1

Once we got talking about flooring, I asked for recommendation of any wood that would feel comfortable to walk on.  I said I currently have laminate floors and I don't like the feel of laminate.  I was willing to go with regular hard wood or engineered wood but I wanted the wood to feel comfortable because I walk barefeet ... obviously asian home.  He said that is a weird question because no one has ever asked it because all wood feels the same.  Red Flag and Weird #2

Eric explained it must be because of floating vs glued down.  He pointed at the Provenza wood in the model and how it's very popular and it's glued down and everyone likes Provenza.  I said I don't like the feel of this Provenza because it feels too hard and cold for me.  At this point I think he got annoyed because I'm the only one who doesn't like Provenza.  Red Flag #3

I then took out my samples of wood and I asked him if there were other companies he could recommend besides my samples of maple, birch, and walnut.  He said no because it's all the same and the price will be all the same.  Red Flag #4

He gave us a quote and then said to call him by the end of the month with our decision, then rushed out the door.  :(

I don't want to make him seem like bad person because he does come off as a nice guy.  But I guess I was expecting great quality service because Eric kept mentioning his company isn't the cheapest but they do really great quality work and pride themselves on customer service.  However I didn't get the caring vibe.  Maybe our project is too small or maybe I didn't bite on the Provenza pitch?

He was nice and included the free baseboards throughout the house including our bathrooms but I was also looking at the his square footage calculations and either our place is bigger than we thought or the numbers are inflated.

So we'll be calling other vendors and see.  The price Eric quoted us is reasonable, despite the numbers are inflated.  I'm sure his team will do a good quality job, but then do I want to drop almost 20K with a company that doesn't seem to value the project?  Anyhow that's where I'm at.

=======
UPDATE:  I ended up going with Venetian for my flooring.  See Page 8 for full review. 

Update 2: Seems like my post got moved.  See below on this page for full review.

@zerolot:

Thank you for that detailed post of your experience. Venetian is one of the recommended vendors on TI.

Have you tried Tomkins? They are also highly regarded here.

@ZeroLot

Eric told us the sq ft. estimate would be about 20% over.  We had two extra boxes leftover.  A bit overkill I thought.  They were around the same price as two other 5 star yelp reviewed floor contractors and they didn't overestimate like Venetian.  So I guess you do get a better deal since you have a ton of backup afterwards.  And they included baseboards (not expensive) which no one else did.  He has lots of samples in his car, he didn't show you?

ps9 said:
@ZeroLot

Eric told us the sq ft. estimate would be about 20% over.  We had two extra boxes leftover.  A bit overkill I thought.  They were around the same price as two other 5 star yelp reviewed floor contractors and they didn't overestimate like Venetian.  So I guess you do get a better deal since you have a ton of backup afterwards.  And they included baseboards (not expensive) which no one else did.  He has lots of samples in his car, he didn't show you?

Nope :(  I saw his big black truck as he was getting into it.  But he did not offer any samples.  I specifically requested to see what other types of engineered walnut, maple, or birch he may have so I can see some more variety and texture.  But he said the samples I brought in were fine.

irvinehomeowner said:
@zerolot:

Thank you for that detailed post of your experience. Venetian is one of the recommended vendors on TI.

Have you tried Tomkins? They are also highly regarded here.

I haven't tried Tomkins yet.  I'll call them after my appointment with OC Flooring.  :)  Thanks for recommendation.

I've used Tompkins for carpet and was satisfied with my overall experience. 
I used Travis Kohler for some tile work and he was good as well.

My experience with Tompkins was okay in the beginning. Brandon was a nice guy but came off as a slick sales guy. After asking for a quote which took him longer than anyone else. He tells me the total amount. I emailed him no less than 4 times asking for an itemized invoice and heard nothing from him. He couldn't remember my name nor the information I saw him take down. He also tried to sell me the material that I knew how much it cost and that it was going up in price. He lied about that to sell at a higher price point. After dealing with him I realized he was not up front and used lame sales tactics.

20% excess material is way too high! Typical waste account is 10%. These companies try to increase the sq footage as much as they can because they tack on labor on sq ft that doesn't exist. That's how they make more money off of you.

Baseboards are probably dirt cheap for them. Nothing to cry home about.

We used Hardwood Flooring Depot.  Worked with Arman, they really help you pick the best color/style and show you a bunch of options and they are never trying to convince you to buy the most expensive thing.  SUPER honest.  Great customer service.

Tech said:
We used Hardwood Flooring Depot.  Worked with Arman, they really help you pick the best color/style and show you a bunch of options and they are never trying to convince you to buy the most expensive thing.  SUPER honest.  Great customer service.
First time I've heard of Hardwood Flooring Depot and they are in Irvine.

Their Yelp reviews seem okay... has anyone else had any experience with them?

Back