Flooring with Outside Contractor

Hi, when it comes to wood flooring, I'd go through Wes with WIRKKALA WOODWORKS.  He is excellent at his work and very reasonable price-wise.  He's always come through for me and has an impressive resume.  His number is 949-633-4018.  - philip

vonwrede said:
Hi, when it comes to wood flooring, I'd go through Wes with WIRKKALA WOODWORKS.  He is excellent at his work and very reasonable price-wise.  He's always come through for me and has an impressive resume.  His number is 949-633-4018.  - philip
Just curious how much did he charge per sqft?

USCTrojanCPA said:
Chairman said:
Is Bostik Vapor Lock 3 in 1 worth the premium for installing engineered wood flooring?
Bostik Best is the glue that you want to use for glue down engineered wood flooring.

Vapor-Lock? Wood Flooring Urethane Adhesive/Vapor-Retarding Membrane Vapor-Lock? is a new and improved one-part, trowel-applied, rapid tacking, very low permeability moisture-cure urethane adhesive and vapor retarding membrane. This scientifically formulated adhesive/membrane does NOT contain water, is virtually odorless, and has 0%-VOC's.

Vapor-Lock offers a tenacious waterproof bond to a variety or substrates and is not adversely affected by exposure to moisture, water, or alkalinity; it can also create a vapor-retarding membrane designed to reduce moderate amounts of moisture vapor transmission from the subfloor and bridge cracks that can occur in the substrate prior to or after installation (up to 1/8?).

BEST  is a one-part, trowel-applied, tacking moisture-cure urethane adhesive. This advanced, scientifically-formulated adhesive does NOT contain water. Once cured, Bostik's Best is waterproof and is not adversely affected by exposure to moisture or water; its superior properties provide a tough, flexible, tenacious bond to a variety of surfaces. Bostik's Best's elastomeric characteristics allow the adhesive to move with the wood as it expands and contracts over the life of the floor.

I am being charged 120 for the Bostick Vapor Lock. I think I may have been quoted 100 so I will double check on that. Is that a decent price for the stuff? Getting 11 gallons. Guy said it costs him about 90.

I am getting charged 1,125 for stair labor. I have about 15 steps and 2 landings. 1,800 for the stair noses. 1,320 for glue. 400 for demo. 5,470 for materials. 100 for delivery. 3,300 for labor on 1274 sf. Current total quote is about 13,500 before tax. What do you guys think about that pricing? Is it competitive? Thanks.

Chairman said:
crickets?

When I used to look at this stuff it seemed like you could find decent engineered wood at $4-$7 a sq ft and was told install was about $3 sq ft so the range was $7-$10. At about 10.60 per sq ft is seems within the range of what I thought was reasonable. The high end would I think gets more expensive.

Don't forget that the builder gives you a credit for upgrading your flooring. We ended up going through the builder because, in the end, it was the same price as an outside contractor.

bones said:
I just started pricing out flooring with outside contractor versus flooring through builder and I'm not really finding the same savings you guys are.  We are mainly interested in just doing wood through an outside contractor.  Tile - we will go through the builder for warranty in the wet areas.  Carpet - the overall cost isn't THAT much to justify contracting out (IMHO).

We settled on a Provenza wood from their Old World Collection.  Builder is quoting me approximately $13 PSF and the outside contractors are coming in around $10-11 PSF.  Total wood SF is around 1,000 SF.  So about $2k worth of savings - not sure if it's worth all the hassle.  Thinking we will just go through the builder and have the house all done prior to getting keys.

Breakdown I got from 2 guys - both very similar.
$6-7 material
$3-4 install (includes glue)
$1-2 to demo any tiled areas/reinstall baseboards

IP charged me $15/sq foot for laminate wood.  If you are getting Provenza for that price by an outside contractor, then go for it!

By the way Bones, who are the 2 awesome contractors you got that quote from?  I'd like to contact them.  Thanks!

irvinehomeowner said:
I suspect that bones' builder is more reasonable for upgrades.

Agree, bone's builder have a very reasonable price.

IP's design center charge over $18/sq foot for Provenza old world collection, and that's including the credits.

bones said:
I just started pricing out flooring with outside contractor versus flooring through builder and I'm not really finding the same savings you guys are.  We are mainly interested in just doing wood through an outside contractor.  Tile - we will go through the builder for warranty in the wet areas.  Carpet - the overall cost isn't THAT much to justify contracting out (IMHO).

We settled on a Provenza wood from their Old World Collection.  Builder is quoting me approximately $13 PSF and the outside contractors are coming in around $10-11 PSF.  Total wood SF is around 1,000 SF.  So about $2k worth of savings - not sure if it's worth all the hassle.  Thinking we will just go through the builder and have the house all done prior to getting keys.

$6-7 material

yes, for 2K go with the builder, not worth the potential headache. some folks here would go through an outside contractor to save $10.

ZeroLot said:
IP charged me $15/sq foot for laminate wood.  If you are getting Provenza for that price by an outside contractor, then go for it!

By the way Bones, who are the 2 awesome contractors you got that quote from?  I'd like to contact them.  Thanks!
I think most flooring places are quoting ~$10/sft for engineered wood... give or take $2-$5 depending on type of wood.

qwerty said:
bones said:

$6-7 material

yes, for 2K go with the builder, not worth the potential headache. some folks here would go through an outside contractor to save $10.

It's 2K + annual property tax on that 2K as long as you live there.

ZeroLot said:
qwerty said:
bones said:

$6-7 material

a whopping $20/year, what is the average stay in a house, 7 years? so an extra $140 for the convenience and peace of mind. Im sure bones can sell an old LV and pay for the increased taxes

bones said:

$6-7 material

You should get a quote from OC Flooring. PM for more info.

qwerty said:
ZeroLot said:
qwerty said:
bones said:

$6-7 material

a whopping $20/year, what is the average stay in a house, 7 years? so an extra $140 for the convenience and peace of mind. Im sure bones can sell an old LV and pay for the increased taxes

That's insulting!  That's a typical OC purse!  Maybe she'll sell a Celine, Mulberry, MJ, Balenciaga, or YSL bag. 

Back