Flooring with Outside Contractor

Saw a maple hardwood floor with a sticker that says Alta Vista. I went online to try and find this wood and could not find any maples under Alta Vista. Anyone know what brand this wood could be? Thanks.

Anyone have reviews or experience with OC Flooring in Newport Beach?

Also from what I gathered, Thomkins takes off the original floor label and slaps their own random stickers on their woods. In an effort to keep buyers from being able to identify the wood and do some price discovery. Can anyone also confirm this finding of mine? It seems like a shady practice where they could change the label on a wood and charge a different price.

They have a sticker called Alta Vista and I cannot find any such woods on the internet.

Chairman said:
Anyone have reviews or experience with OC Flooring in Newport Beach?

Also from what I gathered, Thomkins takes off the original floor label and slaps their own random stickers on their woods. In an effort to keep buyers from being able to identify the wood and do some price discovery. Can anyone also confirm this finding of mine? It seems like a shady practice where they could change the label on a wood and charge a different price.

They have a sticker called Alta Vista and I cannot find any such woods on the internet.

I don't know about Tompkins but I did see Ann Sacks Tiles change the name of the products. 
For example, that cross wood grain tile of Mulberry plan1 is call W-Age by Provenza tiles, here at Walker Zanger's http://walkerzanger.com/collections/products.php?view=mat&mat=Porcelain&coll=Wood%20Age.  At Ann Sacks, they changed the name and the name of the colors too,  http://www.annsacks.com/onlinecatalog/program.jsp?cat=268004&coll=1630804&prg=2847904

May be it's just their marketing strategy so consumer can't cross shop and compare prices.

Some one here at TI also mention Kohler Tilehttp://kohlertile.com/which was recommend by Venetian Flooring and Eric from Summit Hard Wood Floor (????, 2548 Castle Rock Road Diamond Bar, CA 91765. (714)624-9998) which has good prices.

Anyone has experience with these two contractors please share your experiences.

lnc said:
Some one here at TI also mention Kohler Tilehttp://kohlertile.com/which was recommend by Venetian Flooring and Eric from Summit Hard Wood Floor (????, 2548 Castle Rock Road Diamond Bar, CA 91765. (714)624-9998) which has good prices.

Keith from Kohler Tile did my tile floor (also was referred by Eric from Venetian Flooring).  I bought the tiles myself and he handled the installation and charged for the labor.  In general the quality is good.  I don't know about the pricing because I didn't really shop around and didn't bargain with Keith since it was a small job.  He charged me $1,650 for ~200sqft of tile.  Maybe higher than others.

songkou said:
lnc said:

Keith from Kohler Tile did my tile floor (also was referred by Eric from Venetian Flooring).  I bought the tiles myself and he handled the installation and charged for the labor.  In general the quality is good.  I don't know about the pricing because I didn't really shop around and didn't bargain with Keith since it was a small job.  He charged me $1,650 for ~200sqft of tile.  Maybe higher than others.

thats over $8/sq ft for install. sounds kind of high, not sure what the going rate but its likely lower than $8/sq ft. I could have referred you to Juan from Home Depot.

mms2020,

Did you decide on a contractor for your flooring from the three that you mentioned? If so, were they more competitively priced or had better selection?  Just curious as I am also going to shop around soon for wood flooring.  Thanks.

We decided to go with Tompkins. We found Venetian to have competitive, no frills price but they don't do tiles.  For tiles we were going with Tompkins, who was going to take 5-7 days to do the tiles. Venetian was going to take 3 days for upstair tiles. By getting it done from one vendor, it will save us some time. When we talked to Tompkins they price matched Venetian.
As in above posted comments, we had the same experience. Tompkins had the same wood but under a different brand name which I can not find on the web.

mms2020,

I would ask Tompkins to give you the original brand of the tile so you can do some due diligence on the pricing that you could get at a retailer. From there ask Tompkins to price match that.

Who has been your sales guy over at Tompkins?

I had the OC Flooring come out and measure my home. I will let you guys know what kind of quote they come back with. Sam the owner seems like a decent guy and has been straight forward and honest so far. They do a lot of homes over in Newport Coast and Shady Canyon. So far no one on this forum has used them.

Chairman:  We actually chose the tile at builder's design center and then gave the name to the Tompkins as well as simple floors. It is an "Arizona Tiles" tile.  We went to their show room and looked at it. Their price was $11 but is available for $6 per sq ft online. Installation of the tile was $6.50 per sq ft on the tiled floor (extra for existing tile demolition) and $5.50 per sq ft for carpeted floor. Our sales person at Tompkins is Brandon.

mms2020 said:
Chairman:  We actually chose the tile at builder's design center and then gave the name to the Tompkins as well as simple floors. It is an "Arizona Tiles" tile.  We went to their show room and looked at it. Their price was $11 but is available for $6 per sq ft online. Installation of the tile was $6.50 per sq ft on the tiled floor (extra for existing tile demolition) and $5.50 per sq ft for carpeted floor. Our sales person at Tompkins is Brandon.

Did Tompkins quote a much lower price than the design center in your case?  In our case, Tompkins total quote is not much lower from the KB design center quote so we might just go with the design center to avoid the hassle.

bones said:
Hey Chairman, MMS or anyone else that's doing outside flooring... what floors come standard in your house?  Is it tile in the wet areas (kitchen, bath, etc)?  If so, is your contractor ripping out the tile and laying down wood?

Hey bones,

Carpet stairs, and bedrooms, tile in bathrooms, vinyl in laundry, carpet in downstairs living area, vinyl in kitchen and tile in entry way. I think that is what comes standard.

mms2020 said:
Installation of the tile was $6.50 per sq ft on the tiled floor (extra for existing tile demolition) and $5.50 per sq ft for carpeted floor. Our sales person at Tompkins is Brandon.
Is that just for installation?

That sounds high to me. For carpet installation, NY Carpets quoted me $4-5 per sq YARD (varies by type of carpet)... or 45-55 cents per sq ft.

GH:  Tompkins was lower by about 25-30% than the builder.  The easiest way is to find out the cost of your tile online and then add installation charges per sq. ft (just use $5.50 for carpeted surfaces and $6.50 for tiles surfaces) to get to total cost.  That will give you a rough idea and some grounds to negotiate. I totally agree that you should go with the builder if there is not significant difference in cost. Saves you time and other hassles (warranty etc).

bones: with us, tile comes standard in kitchen, bathrooms and laundry room. Contractor will be ripping out the existing tiles and install the new ones.

irvinehomeowner: It is the installation cost for the tiles, not for the carpet.

Back