Flooring with Outside Contractor

When we redid the flooring at our place, they took the baseboards off and then put them back on. That said, we painted afterwards, so I can't remember exact ordering and who actually put the baseboards back on (floor people or painters) and whether we had to repaint the baseboards or what exactly. 

whome said:
Irvinecommuter said:
whome said:
Chairman said:
irvineboy said:
I talked to Tompkin and Hardwood Flooring Depot and MAC.  They all said that they leave the existing baseboards and would install the tile or hardwood floor underneath it.  Does it sound right?  They cant reuse the baseboards without damaging them??

I think they will lay the flooring down up to the baseboard. There will be a small gap that they will put a corner round molding on top of. If you look at the model homes most of them have that.

If you don't want the quarter round molding then you would have to remove all the baseboards and put new ones in.

The salesperson at Tompkins whom I have been dealing with (and who has been pretty good at following through etc) said that they reused the baseboards so the baseboards would sit on the hardwood (no quarter rounds except against the kitchen cabinets). She asked me why I would want my baseboards replaced when we have new 5 1/4 baseboards already.
Does this sound right?

I guess it depends on what was promised.  We had the basic baseboards from the builder and Venetian gave us 5 1/4 inch baseboards as a part of the flooring.

I guess I meant - can the baseboards actually be reused? I guess I didn't realize they could be reused since I'd only heard of quarter rounds/completely replace options till then..:). Venetian definitely seems like a no hassle option if one doesn't want to go the route of quarter rounds. Our basic boards are 5 1/4 " which is another reason I was wondering if I should get them replaced.

That sounds such a hassle to put them back and hire the painter to re-paint them. Hope the installer won't damage the any part of baseboards. Personally, I don't like the look of baseboards with corner round on.

Bullsback said:
When we redid the flooring at our place, they took the baseboards off and then put them back on. That said, we painted afterwards, so I can't remember exact ordering and who actually put the baseboards back on (floor people or painters) and whether we had to repaint the baseboards or what exactly.

Thanks Bullsback. Which contractor did you go with?

snowball said:
whome said:
Irvinecommuter said:
whome said:
Chairman said:
irvineboy said:
I talked to Tompkin and Hardwood Flooring Depot and MAC.  They all said that they leave the existing baseboards and would install the tile or hardwood floor underneath it.  Does it sound right?  They cant reuse the baseboards without damaging them??

I think they will lay the flooring down up to the baseboard. There will be a small gap that they will put a corner round molding on top of. If you look at the model homes most of them have that.

If you don't want the quarter round molding then you would have to remove all the baseboards and put new ones in.

The salesperson at Tompkins whom I have been dealing with (and who has been pretty good at following through etc) said that they reused the baseboards so the baseboards would sit on the hardwood (no quarter rounds except against the kitchen cabinets). She asked me why I would want my baseboards replaced when we have new 5 1/4 baseboards already.
Does this sound right?

I guess it depends on what was promised.  We had the basic baseboards from the builder and Venetian gave us 5 1/4 inch baseboards as a part of the flooring.

I guess I meant - can the baseboards actually be reused? I guess I didn't realize they could be reused since I'd only heard of quarter rounds/completely replace options till then..:). Venetian definitely seems like a no hassle option if one doesn't want to go the route of quarter rounds. Our basic boards are 5 1/4 " which is another reason I was wondering if I should get them replaced.

That sounds such a hassle to put them back and hire the painter to re-paint them. Hope the installer won't damage the any part of baseboards. Personally, I don't like the look of baseboards with corner round on.

Yes - it is. I was under the impression that they would paint anything that needed to painted. But I should make sure I check that- Thanks!
Right now we are inclined to go with either Venetian or HFD (depending on their quote since they only prime baseboards and don't paint which is again a pain). Hiring painters just to paint baseboards seems like a PITA - I mean, it seems like too small a job for a painter to think it is worthwhile, right?

whome said:
Hiring painters just to paint baseboards seems like a PITA - I mean, it seems like too small a job for a painter to think it is worthwhile, right?

Sorry didn't read the whole thread: are you buying a new home?  If so, ask the on-site builder's painter to do it as a side job.  You'll meet him when he comes touches up the paint during your one month after COE walk or you may see him around the job site.

bones said:
whome said:
Hiring painters just to paint baseboards seems like a PITA - I mean, it seems like too small a job for a painter to think it is worthwhile, right?

Sorry didn't read the whole thread: are you buying a new home?  If so, ask the on-site builder's painter to do it as a side job.  You'll meet him when he comes touches up the paint during your one month after COE walk or you may see him around the job site.

Yes- we are buying a new home. Are the builder's painters usually open to that?- that's a great idea- Thanks for the tip!

whome said:
bones said:
whome said:

Yes- we are buying a new home. Are the builder's painters usually open to that?- that's a great idea- Thanks for the tip!

they are normally hispanic. we are always looking to make an extra buck. i did that not only with the painter but the stucco guy.

qwerty said:
whome said:
bones said:
whome said:

they are normally hispanic. we are always looking to make an extra buck. i did that not only with the painter but the stucco guy.

Thanks Qwerty - What should I expect to pay for painting baseboards? Our first floor excluding powder room is around 700 sqft. TIA

Whome - sorry, I didn't mean to imply that he painted our baseboards. We had him paint some other things. He just came by on the weekend. So not sure what they would charge to paint baseboards. If you had the paint though and it takes a day to paint, I'm sure they would do it for about $100.

qwerty said:
Whome - sorry, I didn't mean to imply that he painted our baseboards. We had him paint some other things. He just came by on the weekend. So not sure what they would charge to paint baseboards. If you had the paint though and it takes a day to paint, I'm sure they would do it for about $100.

Aah got it! But that is helpful- I just wanted to know the range so I could compare the hardwood quotes I got.  In the 100 range sounds reasonable. Thanks!!

Important Question : Why is Hardwood flooring depot not ZeroLot vetted?..:)

We are still deciding between vendors. Overall, all the people we have vetted have been pretty nice and customer service has been good all around. I am leaning towards HFD because I found Reza the easiest to communicate with, knowledgable, and what he says lines up with most of my own research into everything. Eric from Venetian has also been very responsive as have the sales people from MAC and Tompkins. However MAC and Tompkins are also more expensive so I am 'weighting' them less.

I know Qwerty said Reza was going to do 1.00/sqft tile demo and 3.50/sq ft installation labor for him. He is charging me a little more than that (1.25 for demo and 3.75 for installation). However, because I must have seemed overly worried about painting he finally agreed to have his installers paint the baseboards for me as well (at an additional charge). He is also ready to replace baseboards. When I add these costs, for Provenza Old World Reza's quotes might be in the same range as Eric's. However, for the Duchateau brand Reza's price is slightly better than Venetian but that brand is a bit more expensive to begin with.
There are few specific woods that Reza has really good prices on because he has inventory in his warehouse. In those specific cases, his quotes are way lower than Venetian. But the wood is not necessarily a perfect color match for our house.
Phew!! Sorry if that was too much rambling.

Reza's design suggestions for coloring etc have also been pretty good though and again in keeping with our own personal tastes. However, even though he uses Bostik Vapor lock for the downstairs glue, he uses Mapei 975 for upstairs and there will be an extra charge (+400) for using Bostik Vapor Lock upstairs. Does anybody have experience with the Mapei glue?

So small things like that add up.
But he hinted that he might probably cover some of the painting costs, especially if we do the whole house with him (all wood or wood+carpet).

So again, the question is : Why is Hardwood Flooring depot not ZeroLot vetted? ;-)

One thing I didn't like about Venetian is they wouldn't break out the quote, not to mention they were considerably more expensive than HFD

qwerty said:
One thing I didn't like about Venetian is they wouldn't break out the quote, not to mention they were considerably more expensive than HFD

I think you were over quoted by Venetian LOL. Or I am being over quoted by HFD
:D

qwerty said:

I found Venetian pretty reasonable...about 10% more than others but they don't nickel and dime you.  It was the complete quote and no "extras" later on.

We were very pleased with Venetian. He replaced all the base boards and painted them as well. It was what he quoted and no extra charges. Design center was a lot more expensive.

qwerty said:
HFD must have raised their prices because they were more expensive than Venetian when I got quotes from them.

They were about 250sft higher on measurements too.

Back