Flooring with Outside Contractor

qwerty said:
luckguy said:
ZeroLot said:
luckguy said:
I just did with Venetian for 1000 sfs including demolishing during 2 days. They are just like Octagon mentioned, Offered excellent quality work and fast turn around time.
Eric is great. they may be a little expensive, but it's worthy.
He doesn't negotiate with price , but they did give high quality job.
I think they even did better job than some Irvine model houses that i checked later.

here is picture, we install Provenza floor

Omg is that your house??  It looks better than a model home!!  Who did you hire as your interior decorator?

I hired my wife did it but i didn't pay her. :)

rookie - you're paying her :)

she probably spent all your money decorating.

that's what she is doing right now.
next her project is Crown modeling, TV cabinet and Painting...., i'm broken  :'(

yaliu07 said:
luckguy said:
ZeroLot said:
luckguy said:
I just did with Venetian for 1000 sfs including demolishing during 2 days. They are just like Octagon mentioned, Offered excellent quality work and fast turn around time.
Eric is great. they may be a little expensive, but it's worthy.
He doesn't negotiate with price , but they did give high quality job.
I think they even did better job than some Irvine model houses that i checked later.

here is picture, we install Provenza floor

Omg is that your house??  It looks better than a model home!!  Who did you hire as your interior decorator?

I hired my wife did it but i didn't pay her. :)

you are a luckyguy...

Agree.  I think his wife agrees too.

Anyone know who can do kitchen/bathrooms backsplashes?  Simple stuff like changing out tiles to mosaics and backsplashes and floors,etc
Tompkins (Rick) told me I can work with his "tile" guy to do bathroom and kitchen backsplashes.  Not sure who it is though.

Also, it doesn't seem like anyone here goes with the warehouses on State College Blvd in Anaheim.  Aren't those the best deals?

Everyone on these message boards seems to have such a hard on for Venetian. My experience was meh. They couldn't do my flooring because they didn't carry the specific wood I wanted. And they refused to do it. Their excuse was pretty lame at the time.

I ended up getting a better price with another flooring company. They installed the wood of my choice, and I was happy with the end result.

PM if you want more info. Best of luck with flooring. It was a huge PITA but worth it in the end.

I talked to Tompkin and Hardwood Flooring Depot and MAC.  They all said that they leave the existing baseboards and would install the tile or hardwood floor underneath it.  Does it sound right?  They cant reuse the baseboards without damaging them??

Chairman said:
Everyone on these message boards seems to have such a hard on for Venetian. My experience was meh. They couldn't do my flooring because they didn't carry the specific wood I wanted. And they refused to do it. Their excuse was pretty lame at the time.

I ended up getting a better price with another flooring company. They installed the wood of my choice, and I was happy with the end result.

PM if you want more info. Best of luck with flooring. It was a huge PITA but worth it in the end.

Very curious - which wood did you end up choosing. Also which flooring company did you go with?

irvineboy said:
I talked to Tompkin and Hardwood Flooring Depot and MAC.  They all said that they leave the existing baseboards and would install the tile or hardwood floor underneath it.  Does it sound right?  They cant reuse the baseboards without damaging them??

I think they will lay the flooring down up to the baseboard. There will be a small gap that they will put a corner round molding on top of. If you look at the model homes most of them have that.

If you don't want the quarter round molding then you would have to remove all the baseboards and put new ones in.

whome said:
Chairman said:

Very curious - which wood did you end up choosing. Also which flooring company did you go with?

Picked a maple wood that Venetian did not carry the brand anymore. They only install wood brands that they carry. Most of them were very expensive and or traditional colors. Went with OC Flooring on Jamboree and Bristol.

Chairman said:
whome said:
Chairman said:

Picked a maple wood that Venetian did not carry the brand anymore. They only install wood brands that they carry. Most of them were very expensive and or traditional colors. Went with OC Flooring on Jamboree and Bristol.

Thanks Chairman!

Chairman said:

Sorry for your experience but we loved Venetian...they were extremely polite and accommodating.  Finished the work quickly and efficiently.  Price was not the lowest but the quality was the best IMO.  I look at my flooring a year later and am very happy about the details. 

Irvinecommuter said:
Chairman said:

Sorry for your experience but we loved Venetian...they were extremely polite and accommodating.  Finished the work quickly and efficiently.  Price was not the lowest but the quality was the best IMO.  I look at my flooring a year later and am very happy about the details.

That's good to know! Which were the other companies you 'vetted'? How did you infer that their quality was the best?..sorry too many questions..:)

I have spoken with Venetian, Hardwood flooring Depot and Tompkins. Plan to visit Mac Flooring. Waiting for a quote from HFD and Tompkins.

whome said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Chairman said:

That's good to know! Which were the other companies you 'vetted'? How did you infer that their quality was the best?..sorry too many questions..:)

I have spoken with Venetian, Hardwood flooring Depot and Tompkins. Plan to visit Mac Flooring. Waiting for a quote from HFD and Tompkins.

We talked to quite a few but the one alternative choice I remember was Tompkins.  We visited their store next to 99 Ranch and didn't care for it at all. 

My wife was the one who dealt with Venetian primarily and she is an absolute perfectionist.  They were extremely friendly throughout the process and responsive at all times. 

ilikepizza said:
Has anyone used Warren Christopher?

I found them while 'googling' for Bois Chamois wood that somebody had raved about. I didn't realize till I saw your post, that they were local..:)

Chairman said:
irvineboy said:

I think they will lay the flooring down up to the baseboard. There will be a small gap that they will put a corner round molding on top of. If you look at the model homes most of them have that.

If you don't want the quarter round molding then you would have to remove all the baseboards and put new ones in.

The salesperson at Tompkins whom I have been dealing with (and who has been pretty good at following through etc) said that they reused the baseboards so the baseboards would sit on the hardwood (no quarter rounds except against the kitchen cabinets). She asked me why I would want my baseboards replaced when we have new 5 1/4 baseboards already.
Does this sound right?

whome said:
Chairman said:
irvineboy said:

The salesperson at Tompkins whom I have been dealing with (and who has been pretty good at following through etc) said that they reused the baseboards so the baseboards would sit on the hardwood (no quarter rounds except against the kitchen cabinets). She asked me why I would want my baseboards replaced when we have new 5 1/4 baseboards already.
Does this sound right?

I guess it depends on what was promised.  We had the basic baseboards from the builder and Venetian gave us 5 1/4 inch baseboards as a part of the flooring. 

Irvinecommuter said:
whome said:
Chairman said:
irvineboy said:

Does this sound right?

I guess it depends on what was promised.  We had the basic baseboards from the builder and Venetian gave us 5 1/4 inch baseboards as a part of the flooring.

I guess I meant - can the baseboards actually be reused? I guess I didn't realize they could be reused since I'd only heard of quarter rounds/completely replace options till then..:). Venetian definitely seems like a no hassle option if one doesn't want to go the route of quarter rounds. Our basic boards are 5 1/4 " which is another reason I was wondering if I should get them replaced.

Back