Flooring with Outside Contractor

liyangx said:
Chairman said:
Hello TI'ers,

I just wanted to take a quick poll on which flooring contractors in the Irvine area you guys would recommend to use once you close escrow on a new home.

I have an appointment scheduled with Venetian Flooring and based on all the positive feedback I have not tried asking anyone else for a quote just yet.

Has anyone had Venetian Flooring install wood floors recently? Just wanted to see if their craftsmanship has held up.

What kind of quotes and how much sq/ft did your projects have?

Also does anyone know of stores in OC they would recommend buying wood flooring from? I want to shop a quote I got from State College Distributors around and see what competitive pricing I can get.

Thanks to all those here who are always so helpful.

Test

i got quote from Venetian and also got quote from HardWood Floor depot

Here is comparision
Venetian: only take 2-3 days , $300 more, one year installation warranty, no price list break up
HardWood Floor Depot: take 4-5 days, life time installation warranty, has price list break up like (material, label, dem etc..)
They are using Same floor, i haven't made decision yet.

liyangx said:
liyangx said:
Chairman said:
Hello TI'ers,

I just wanted to take a quick poll on which flooring contractors in the Irvine area you guys would recommend to use once you close escrow on a new home.

I have an appointment scheduled with Venetian Flooring and based on all the positive feedback I have not tried asking anyone else for a quote just yet.

Has anyone had Venetian Flooring install wood floors recently? Just wanted to see if their craftsmanship has held up.

Also does anyone know of stores in OC they would recommend buying wood flooring from? I want to shop a quote I got from State College Distributors around and see what competitive pricing I can get.

Test

Here is comparision
Venetian: only take 2-3 days , $300 more, one year installation warranty, no price list break up
HardWood Floor Depot: take 4-5 days, life time installation warranty, has price list break up like (material, label, dem etc..)

yeah hardwood did say theirs is lifetime install warranty.  damn, somehow i really got overquoted by venetian.  i dont think it was cause he thought i was loaded, now i think it was racial :)

qwerty said:
liyangx said:
liyangx said:
Chairman said:
Hello TI'ers,

Test

Here is comparision

yeah hardwood did say theirs is lifetime install warranty.  damn, somehow i really got overquoted by venetian.  i dont think it was cause he thought i was loaded, now i think it was racial :)

@qwerty

how much you are quoted it before?
Venetion quoted me $13800 for around 1000 squre feets that include everything (demo, baseboard upgrade) with Provenza Epic.
is this way too high? Please help

How much tile demo do you have if any? Carpet removal is dirt cheap. Provenza epic costs around 7.25 psq plus tax. So you're looking at about $6,000 cost for everything else. Not sure how that compares with other Venetian quotes but curious on your tile demo since that can be a swing factor.

Thanks for your answer

Hardwood floor depot quoted demo as $300

Here is comparision
They are using Same floor provenza epic

should i go with Venetian?

liyangx said:
Thanks for your answer

Here is comparision

Liyangx - quote was 17000 for old world provenza for a little under 1200 sq ft. The provenza was $6 per sq ft. Demo was 2,500 for almost 1200 sq ft of tile. So 9700 for wood and demo so over 7300 for install. He doesn't itemize but you can back into the install costs since he told me the wood and demo prices.

Hardwood flooring depot quoted $1 per sq ft for demo. 6 sq ft for old world and $3.50 per sq ft for install plus 400 for glue. HFD all in was 13000 vs 17000 for Venetian.

liyangx said:
Thanks for your answer

Here is comparision

Lifetime "installation" warranty? That would be awesome! But it doesn't sound right at all either. Ask them if they can put it down in writing.

liyangx said:
they put it in my quote. but company only has 7 year history. "life time" is really meaningless i think

I would try to negotiate the price down.  $300 is not a big price difference. Venetian has a good reputation. Maybe go with Venetian?

We went with Venetian for our flooring after meeting with a bunch of other reputable / personally recommended vendors.

I would give them 4 stars out of 5. Only witholding the 5th star due to our high expectations after seeing all the Yelp/TI reviews and due to the higher pricing.

Overall, we were very happy and pleased with the end-result. Floors are beautiful, quality install, we would use them again and recommend to others.

Pros:
1) Most important, end product looks great, even better than we had hoped for
2) Eric is a very nice guy. Very professional, honest, knowledgable and customer-oriented
3) The crew was great as well, led by Chris for us. Hard-working and good attention to detail
4) No corners cut, and high confidence in them having done a very high quality job
5) Baseboard installation was excellent, even though that's not supposed to be their expertise
6) Installed the included baseboard in a few extra areas we weren't sure they were going to do
7) Very quick workers because they bring a large crew of 4-5 installers
8) Plenty of leftover materials (perhaps too much depending on how you view, but a nice bonus)
9) Gave us cleaning materials - doesnt's cost a lot but a nice touch
10) Take CC payment - nice to be able to get something back on a large purchase
11) Nicely took care of a minor issue we had on our steps and with one plank

Cons / Minor Gripes:
1) Cleaning wasn't very good. I think they rushed to finish in 2 long days instead of the estimated 2-3 days. Bathrooms were dirty with glue stuck on floor, wood dust, couple juice bottles around the house, pantry door smudged up and nicked (they will come back to touch up though), etc. They would've cleaned it if we insisted, but it was very late in the evening. It would've been nice if they just came back next day instead of rushing to finish up
2) Pricing: roughly 4-8% higher than other vendors after adjusting for included baseboards

All in all, quality work and would easily recommend them to others.

Hello TI,

This is my first time posting, and I want to say thank you for all the great information in this forum.

My wife and I bought a new house in Irvine, and we went with Hardwood Flooring Depot for our flooring (wood and carpet). We met Reza on our first visit to the showroom and he was very helpful with our flooring selection. The installers did an excellent job and we would highly recommend them. As we requested, the wood floors were installed in one direction throughout the entire first floor. Also, the carpet installer made sure the patterns matched up on the cut lines and flowed in the same direction.

As lukguy mentioned in a previous post, HFD will install new baseboards but will not paint them. We had our painters scheduled after the flooring, and they said it will not be a problem painting the baseboards after they are installed.

octagon said:
We went with Venetian for our flooring after meeting with a bunch of other reputable / personally recommended vendors.

I would give them 4 stars out of 5. Only witholding the 5th star due to our high expectations after seeing all the Yelp/TI reviews and due to the higher pricing.

Overall, we were very happy and pleased with the end-result. Floors are beautiful, quality install, we would use them again and recommend to others.

Pros:
1) Most important, end product looks great, even better than we had hoped for
2) Eric is a very nice guy. Very professional, honest, knowledgable and customer-oriented
3) The crew was great as well, led by Chris for us. Hard-working and good attention to detail
4) No corners cut, and high confidence in them having done a very high quality job
5) Baseboard installation was excellent, even though that's not supposed to be their expertise
6) Installed the included baseboard in a few extra areas we weren't sure they were going to do
7) Very quick workers because they bring a large crew of 4-5 installers
8) Plenty of leftover materials (perhaps too much depending on how you view, but a nice bonus)
9) Gave us cleaning materials - doesnt's cost a lot but a nice touch
10) Take CC payment - nice to be able to get something back on a large purchase
11) Nicely took care of a minor issue we had on our steps and with one plank

Cons / Minor Gripes:
1) Cleaning wasn't very good. I think they rushed to finish in 2 long days instead of the estimated 2-3 days. Bathrooms were dirty with glue stuck on floor, wood dust, couple juice bottles around the house, pantry door smudged up and nicked (they will come back to touch up though), etc. They would've cleaned it if we insisted, but it was very late in the evening. It would've been nice if they just came back next day instead of rushing to finish up
2) Pricing: roughly 4-8% higher than other vendors after adjusting for included baseboards

All in all, quality work and would easily recommend them to others.

I just did with Venetian for 1000 sfs including demolishing during 2 days. They are just like Octagon mentioned, Offered excellent quality work and fast turn around time.
Eric is great. they may be a little expensive, but it's worthy.
He doesn't negotiate with price , but they did give high quality job.
I think they even did better job than some Irvine model houses that i checked later.

here is picture, we install Provenza floor

Attachments

• LivingRoom.jpg
    LivingRoom.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 504
luckguy said:
I just did with Venetian for 1000 sfs including demolishing during 2 days. They are just like Octagon mentioned, Offered excellent quality work and fast turn around time.
I think they even did better job than some Irvine model houses that i checked later.

Omg is that your house??  It looks better than a model home!!  Who did you hire as your interior decorator?

ZeroLot said:
luckguy said:

Omg is that your house??  It looks better than a model home!!  Who did you hire as your interior decorator?

I hired my wife did it but i didn't pay her. :)

luckguy said:
ZeroLot said:
luckguy said:

rookie - you're paying her :)

she probably spent all your money decorating.

Is this moon shadow by Provenza? Venetian will be installing our flooring and we have selected moon shadow.

luckguy said:
ZeroLot said:
luckguy said:

you are a luckyguy...

Back