EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
morekaos said:
And how much did that cost you?..and us with the subsidies?

IIRC, solar was less than $10k (after tax benefit), 6 years ago, the solar tax credit was 30%?  Back then calculation for breakeven was 7 years, so I'm pretty much there already

It's not like your gas didn't cost us anything either, and been around since the beginning (>100 years)
Trillions on fossil fuel subsidies:
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/fossil-fuels-received-5-9-trillion-in-subsidies-in-2020-report-finds
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsmoor/2019/06/15/united-states-spend-ten-times-more-on-fossil-fuel-subsidies-than-education/

Amazing how low US pays compared to the more industrialized nations
https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

Notice how morekaos ignores the oil subsidies and logical answers regarding EV charging and operation.

Since when did setting up a home EV charger cost "thousands"? More misinformation from morekaos.

I'm still using 120v Level 1 charging and we have 2 EVs.

Sweet sweet independence from gas.

As I?ve said 1 million times?pull all the subsidies and all the taxes. Let?s see AW, with the thousand$ in subsidies for you multiplied by the hundreds of thousands who have also been taking advantage of the rest of us. $10 million here $10 million there? it adds up quick?You?re welcome.

irvinehomeowner said:
Notice how morekaos ignores the oil subsidies and logical answers regarding EV charging and operation.

Since when did setting up a home EV charger cost "thousands"? More misinformation from morekaos.

I was going to mention that, but why bother. It's not like moretroll is going to admit to lying anyway.

I'm going to use a 240v charger for my Model 3. It cost me $430 to install the 240v outlet and $45 to buy the 14-50 converter.  Less than $500 total, so I don't know what "thousands" means. And I'm using the 120v Level 1 charger for the Prius Prime.

I just like not going to the gas station anymore.
How much is that worth?

It's awesome..give it shot.

I also had to get an oil change every 4 months...no more of that bullshit.

Holy shit..what do I do with all this extra time I'm saving.....well I bought an ukulele...LOL

That?s awesome for you Zubs,  I hope you learn how to play the Hukilau but for 98% of the rest of the nation, exploring their musical talents is just not affordable, available or at all practical?and probably never will be. ;D ;D >:D

Honestly I feel EV should win us over by its advantages over ICE, like convenience to charge at home, instant torque and less maintenance , but infrastructure should catch up and for people who have range anxiety or worry about the toxic impact of battery manufacturing or disposal, ICE is still a good alternative; wish it is not being pushed and forced upon us with government subsidies and regulations.

CalBears96 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I was going to mention that, but why bother. It's not like moretroll is going to admit to lying anyway.

I'm going to use a 240v charger for my Model 3. It cost me $430 to install the 240v outlet and $45 to buy the 14-50 converter.  Less than $500 total, so I don't know what "thousands" means. And I'm using the 120v Level 1 charger for the Prius Prime.
exactly what my electrician recommended - 30A circuit with the 14-50 connector. Cost a few hundred.

Without subsidies I never would have bought the Solar/PW solution but with subsidies I paid zero OOP, got $15K refund once I filed taxes the following year, and for ~$300/mo (20 yrs but I'll never sell so renters will pay it off) I am grid free and gas station free for my EV ( we still have an ICE CRV). Pretty good deal.

The California Court Company said:
Honestly I feel EV should win us over by its advantages over ICE, like convenience to charge at home, instant torque and less maintenance , but infrastructure should catch up and for people who have range anxiety or worry about the toxic impact of battery manufacturing or disposal, ICE is still a good alternative; wish it is not being pushed and forced upon us with government subsidies and regulations.

100%. Strip away the whole climate change green argument and let the product stand on its own merits. I?m not taking away from the positives but let the market decide if it?s viable and necessary.

morekaos said:
The California Court Company said:

100%. Strip away the whole climate change green argument and let the product stand on its own merits. I?m not taking away from the positives but let the market decide if it?s viable and necessary.
Market has already decided, you just can't see it.

At the OC Auto Show, the line to test drive EVs was longer than the Jeep 4x4 line or the Toyota ICE cars line. Most of the people were crowded around the EV/PHEV vehicles.

Most of the Fed credits are gone right now because the IRA said only NorthAm built cars are eligible as of August 16. Yet, the foreign EV/PHEVs are all still in high demand and being sold at above MSRP... if you can find them.

Many of my dealer contacts are offering me their ICE counterparts at a discount... so maybe those "subsidies" will help keep those products selling.

We've already said it's not just about climate change, but you keep ignoring that.

"Linda... listen!"

When you go from selling one thing one year and two the next it looks like a big jump. Watch sales level off and flatten going down the road as availability tax credits and price thin out that market. Additionally, Republican controlled Congress is going to strangle off all that green money next year so let?s see how adoption goes without all the government subsidies .

irvinehomeowner said:
Most of the Fed credits are gone right now because the IRA said only NorthAm built cars are eligible as of August 16.

Yeah the new EV credits are actually quite limiting in terms of what vehicles qualify and also in terms of what incomes qualify.

morekaos said:
When you go from selling one thing one year and two the next it looks like a big jump. Watch sales level off and flatten going down the road as availability tax credits and price thin out that market. Additionally, Republican controlled Congress is going to strangle off all that green money next year so let?s see how adoption goes without all the government subsidies .

This is like saying no one will want the Internet or smart phones.

It's going to happen with or without subsidies for the consumer. Tesla is the perfect example... they haven't had the Fed credit for years... yet they are the number one selling EV.

They even have increased prices by 20%+ since 2021 and people are buying Teslas more now than before.

You keep ignoring these facts so I have to keep repeating them.

Linda!!

iPhones push the way to prominence without any government help. The product itself, it?s pricing,  it?s availability, it?s convenience it?s value reliability and quality all contributed to its market dominance. EV?s lack most of those.

morekaos said:
As I?ve said 1 million times?pull all the subsidies and all the taxes. Let?s see AW, with the thousand$ in subsidies for you multiplied by the hundreds of thousands who have also been taking advantage of the rest of us. $10 million here $10 million there? it adds up quick?You?re welcome.

Yep, it does add up, never said that there aren't subsidies, $10 million here and there, but pales in comparison to trillions.
Welcome for what?  Entertainment, daily mail, american thinker?

It's not like your gas didn't cost us anything either, and been around since the beginning (>100 years)
Trillions on fossil fuel subsidies:
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/fossil-fuels-received-5-9-trillion-in-subsidies-in-2020-report-finds
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsmoor/2019/06/15/united-states-spend-ten-times-more-on-fossil-fuel-subsidies-than-education

Seems like people want the subsidies so more can buy EVs:
https://electrek.co/2022/10/03/georgia-senators-bill-would-qualify-hyundai-for-ev-tax-credit/

Georgia Senator Reverend Warnock introduced a new bill that would expand which electric vehicles qualify for a tax credit through the Inflation Reduction Act. The Affordable Electric Vehicles for America Act would give automakers like Hyundai a ?grace period? to build and assemble EVs in North America, allowing them to qualify for the tax credit.

Senator Warnock?s new bill aims to lower the costs of owning an electric vehicle while working with foreign automakers planning to manufacture in the US, notably Georgia.

In August, the historic Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) bill was passed, providing several incentives and rebates to boost the US economy and transition to clean, sustainable energy. Most importantly, the tax credit for electric vehicles provides up to $7,500 for new EVs and $4,000 for used ones.

However, for electric vehicle models to be eligible, they must meet strict battery sourcing requirements and also complete final assembly in North America, disqualifying many models.

Meanwhile, foreign automakers are racing to establish operations in the US and Canada to qualify. Georgia, in particular, has been a hot spot for manufacturing activity.

Hyundai, for example, announced in May it would invest over $5.5 billion to build its first dedicated EV plant in Bryan County, Georgia. Initially, Hyundai aimed to start construction in 2023, yet since the IRA bill passed, the automaker has considered speeding up those plans.

South Korean officials have met with US leaders to address the EV tax credits, working to come to a joint resolution.

Senator Warnock believes he has a resolution with the Affordable Electric Vehicles for America Act. The new legislation would delay the timetable for automakers like Hyundai to meet the specific requirements of the IRA bill, subsequently expanding the EV tax credit.

So morekaos doesn't get this... but if there wasn't a demand, people wouldn't be asking for the credit to be extended. The market has spoken.

irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
EV?s lack most of those.

More disinformation.

Please stop posting here until you get more educated.. you're just spamming now.

Really? Starting with just pricing and availability you refute those yourself in previous posts. Every other thing on that list is lacking in a product that is so new and so unreliable and without adequate support in place to keep those things moving. That?s a simple observation and a fact

Back