EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
morekaos once again repeating rhetoric without actual knowledge of what is going on.

Get off my lawn said the stick in the mud!

In the pursuit of unicorns and rainbows? like The laws of gravity, you will never be able to repeal the laws in common sense. We?ve doubled our population in the last 20 years and yet have not doubled the capacity to produce energy. Just common sense. Build more power plants! Drill baby drill!

I thought everyone was moving out of California?

And if you understood math and physics, doubling number of people does not necessarily mean you have to double the energy production.

Common sense.

Yes, the rich are fleeing the state, the rich taxpayers. And for all those new people who can?t afford to pay the power bill someone?s got to pick up that tab, it?s only fair. ;D ;D >:D

Dammit, got a text from Ford saying that they can't fulfill my order for the 2022 Mach-E, and they're updating my order to 2023 Mach-E, with increase in price, of course.  :p I guess I don't really mind the 2023 MSRP if I do get it by the end of the year because I'm still getting the $7500 rebate. If Ford can't deliver it by the end of the year, then I'll just have to cancel it and stick with my Prius Prime since my commute is now less than 12 miles round trip per day. I don't really mind filling up gas every 3 months or so.

I dunno about that one Cal?sounds risky?I?ll stick with tried and true old Ford. ;D ;D >:D

New Electric Mustang Only Lasted 6 Months Without Dangerous Complications - Ford Announces Major EV Recall
Ford?s electric version of its legendary Mustang muscle car has been hit with a recall.

Ford is recalling 1,175 of its 2022 Mustang Mach-E electric vehicles due to concerns that the right-rear axle half shafts may have a manufacturing defect, according to Ford Authority.

The defect means that the part could break.

?When your axle fails, it?s possible that you?ll lose control of the car, possibly causing an accident,? the site advised.
?If you suspect that your axles are about to break, time is of the essence. Once broken completely, your car won?t move, and if they break while you?re driving, it could cause a serious accident.?
The Mach-E has been hit with recalls before, according to cars.com.

In June, Ford recalled some 2021-2022 vehicles because the high-voltage battery main contactors may overheat.

In May, a recall was issued for the all-wheel drive version of the car. The Mach-E?s powertrain control module safety software was found unable to detect some software errors that could have led to unintended acceleration or deceleration.

A 2021 recall was issued because the car?s windshields could detach. Another 2021 recall was issued because the front subframe bolts may not have been tightened properly during assembly.
https://www.westernjournal.com/new-...complications-ford-announces-major-ev-recall/

morekaos said:
I dunno about that one Cal?sounds risky?I?ll stick with tried and true old Ford. ;D ;D >:D

New Electric Mustang Only Lasted 6 Months Without Dangerous Complications - Ford Announces Major EV Recall
Ford?s electric version of its legendary Mustang muscle car has been hit with a recall.

Ford is recalling 1,175 of its 2022 Mustang Mach-E electric vehicles due to concerns that the right-rear axle half shafts may have a manufacturing defect, according to Ford Authority.

The defect means that the part could break.

?When your axle fails, it?s possible that you?ll lose control of the car, possibly causing an accident,? the site advised.
?If you suspect that your axles are about to break, time is of the essence. Once broken completely, your car won?t move, and if they break while you?re driving, it could cause a serious accident.?
The Mach-E has been hit with recalls before, according to cars.com.

In June, Ford recalled some 2021-2022 vehicles because the high-voltage battery main contactors may overheat.

In May, a recall was issued for the all-wheel drive version of the car. The Mach-E?s powertrain control module safety software was found unable to detect some software errors that could have led to unintended acceleration or deceleration.

A 2021 recall was issued because the car?s windshields could detach. Another 2021 recall was issued because the front subframe bolts may not have been tightened properly during assembly.
https://www.westernjournal.com/new-...complications-ford-announces-major-ev-recall/

2 different lelvels of concern here:
1. Ford will struggle on the sw side = not their core competency
2. straight mfg defects should never be a thing - isn't that what the legacy mfrs suposedly have on Tesla?

Ford will lose their a$$ on the Mach E and every other EV they build.

irvinehomeowner said:
I thought everyone was moving out of California?

And if you understood math and physics, doubling number of people does not necessarily mean you have to double the energy production.

Common sense.

So to meet the needs of your EV Nirvana of tomorrow do you think we can produce enough electricity from Unicorns and Rainbows given our current situation and the total mishandling and mangling of our exiting Power grid by the Morons in charge??do you really have faith in these Bozos as you sit in the dark and heat?  This is not modern America that has ?rolling blackouts??It is Manila or Karachi that are supposed to get those.

How will L.A. replace three gas plants that Mayor Eric Garcetti plans to shut down?

Los Angeles is under state orders to shutter all 10 gas-fired generators at the three plants in the coming years because they use ocean water for cooling, which can harm marine life. DWP officials had said they weren?t sure clean technologies like batteries would be cheap or effective enough to replace the gas plants before the state?s deadlines, 2024 for Scattergood and 2029 for Harbor and Haynes.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti thrilled environmentalists and public health advocates with his announcement that the Department of Water and Power won?t spend billions of dollars rebuilding three gas-fired power plants along the coast.

But now the hard work starts: figuring out how to replace the three facilities without raising energy prices or increasing the risk of power outages. And another battle looms on the horizon, as Los Angeles moves forward with plans for a new gas facility in Utah to replace a coal-fired power plant that still generates much of the city?s electricity.

City officials and activists who have pushed Los Angeles to take more aggressive steps to tackle climate change hailed Garcetti?s decision to stop DWP from making life-extending investments at the Scattergood, Haynes and Harbor gas plants. At a news conference Tuesday, the mayor cast his move as part of a global struggle to rein in the carbon emissions that are heating the planet, and as a major step toward removing fossil fuels from the power mix of the nation?s second-largest city.

?We often wonder, what does history look like, what does it feel like? It feels like this, today,? Garcetti said. ?A moment in which all of us as human beings are challenged to step up and to lead in a moment that will define our lives, and the lives of our children, and our children?s children.?
https://www.latimes.com/business/la...ater for cooling, which can harm marine life.

CalBears96 said:
Dammit, got a text from Ford saying that they can't fulfill my order for the 2022 Mach-E, and they're updating my order to 2023 Mach-E, with increase in price, of course.  :p I guess I don't really mind the 2023 MSRP if I do get it by the end of the year because I'm still getting the $7500 rebate. If Ford can't deliver it by the end of the year, then I'll just have to cancel it and stick with my Prius Prime since my commute is now less than 12 miles round trip per day. I don't really mind filling up gas every 3 months or so.

Ask your dealership about private cash or price matcing your 2022 MSRP. I've read on forums they are doing that.

CalBears96 said:

Do you still qualify for the credit if it gets extended to 2023? TIRA adds an income phase-out for EV credits.

HMart said:
CalBears96 said:

Do you still qualify for the credit if it gets extended to 2023? TIRA adds an income phase-out for EV credits.

Income cap is going to be an issue.

And not to worry, as more people adopt EVs, grid health can actually improve with V2G (Vehicle to Grid) technology.

I tried to find the simplest article that morekaos can understand:
https://www.electricrate.com/electric-vehicle/v2g-technology/

What is Vehicle To Grid Charging?
Vehicle to Grid Charging or the vehicle to grid technology enables electric cars to be used even when not driven. The bidirectional charging means that your EV battery is being charged from renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, during peak production. 

On the other hand, the energy demand spikes when people return back home. This time usually falls between 5 and 7 PM. During this time, the sun sets and renewable energy generation drops.

At the moment, electric vehicles take over at least part of the energy demand and use battery capacity to send power from vehicle to grid. This is the basis of bidirectional charging. Under this model, the sudden spikes in energy production and consumption are flattened and the grid is kept more stable.

Your EV battery charges when energy production is at its highest and it releases energy when energy consumption peaks. Power companies love this technology. They can rely less on power plants and fossil fuels to deliver power to you.

Ford EVs have this ability and Nissan just announced this for their Leafs:
https://electrek.co/2022/09/07/the-nissan-leaf-getting-first-ever-v2g-charger/

Combined with more people getting PowerWall type batteries, the community can help alleviate the strain on the grid during spikes.

Bless those unicorns and rainbows!

The whole proposal is unicorns and rainbows?. So many ifs and buts but no sugar and nuts?.keep dreaming. ;D ;D >:D

I?m all for technological advancement even though solar and EVs are not ready for prime time :)

But if our plan to improve/help the grid is to borrow from EV car batteries, that is a disaster waiting to happen. I would prefer not to depend on the average person and whether their EV is plugged in to avoid rolling blackouts.

Well my unicorns have been blowing rainbows out of their backside for twelve years.

Only after getting the EV and now finally the revisions to the demand response program will I get an actual net bill for the year.

I suspect it will be less than a typical, non-solar, bill for this month for anybody in the valleys.

Honest question:  Will this use -V2G- shorten the life of the battery due to additional charge/discharge cycles?

irvinehomeowner said:
And not to worry, as more people adopt EVs, grid health can actually improve with V2G (Vehicle to Grid) technology.

I tried to find the simplest article that morekaos can understand:
https://www.electricrate.com/electric-vehicle/v2g-technology/

What is Vehicle To Grid Charging?
Vehicle to Grid Charging or the vehicle to grid technology enables electric cars to be used even when not driven. The bidirectional charging means that your EV battery is being charged from renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, during peak production. 

On the other hand, the energy demand spikes when people return back home. This time usually falls between 5 and 7 PM. During this time, the sun sets and renewable energy generation drops.

At the moment, electric vehicles take over at least part of the energy demand and use battery capacity to send power from vehicle to grid. This is the basis of bidirectional charging. Under this model, the sudden spikes in energy production and consumption are flattened and the grid is kept more stable.

Your EV battery charges when energy production is at its highest and it releases energy when energy consumption peaks. Power companies love this technology. They can rely less on power plants and fossil fuels to deliver power to you.

Ford EVs have this ability and Nissan just announced this for their Leafs:
https://electrek.co/2022/09/07/the-nissan-leaf-getting-first-ever-v2g-charger/

Combined with more people getting PowerWall type batteries, the community can help alleviate the strain on the grid during spikes.

Bless those unicorns and rainbows!

Probably.

But as battery tech improves, this may also be addressed.

Just read an article where a battery company can recharge up to 100 miles in only 5 minutes.

Also, future EVs may be more modular where battery packs can be swapped out. I think they do this in China.

Just like the move to higher MPG ICE cars, EVs will get to 500+ mile range and faster recharge times, the Kia EV6 can already charge to 80% in 18 minutes.

I'd rather dream of unicorns than sleep with mud.

irvinehomeowner said:
CalBears96 said:

Ask your dealership about private cash or price matcing your 2022 MSRP. I've read on forums they are doing that.

I got an email from Ford asking me to contact dealer to confirm 2023 model specifications.

I brought up the fact that if Ford doesn't deliver my car by the end of the year, I would have to cancel the order due to the rebate. He mentioned that the earliest deliveries will probably be February or March and didn't offer any compensation for me to keep the order. I guess they probably have more than enough orders. So I ended up cancelling the order. It'll save me $45k, I guess.

Back