EV/Plug-In/Hydrogen Fuel Cell - Cars

Try not to shake your head. The charge ahead California initiative. The bill passed the California Assembly and the State assembly is expected to send the bill to the governor.

If your in the low income category you can get one of the following options:
1. $2,500 for getting an EV car
or
2. If you decide you decide not to own a car you can get $1,500.

Source:
http://m.green.autoblog.com/2014/08/27/california-first-to-give-extra-funds-to-low-income-ev-buyers/?post=1&icid=autobloggreen_ev-plug-in_river_item

We installed an ev charger in our IAC rental. It was less than $1k in our attached garage and IAC's contractor was very accommodating. Maintenance guy did the paint and drywall clean up at no charge. I think the renters affected are those without attached garages, but even then, many apartment owners are installing shared charging stations. I understand IAC is doing this at all their properties over the next year.

Rice Vino said:
We installed an ev charger in our IAC rental. It was less than $1k in our attached garage and IAC's contractor was very accommodating. Maintenance guy did the paint and drywall clean up at no charge. I think the renters affected are those without attached garages, but even then, many apartment owners are installing shared charging stations. I understand IAC is doing this at all their properties over the next year.

Will you take your "EV charger" if you move? (Obviously the electrical upgrade that you made will stay, if you move)

Yes, I didn't include the cost of the charger in that cost, which was another $1k. If/when you buy one, make sure you get the dryer plug / removeable type not the hardwired one. It's like $50 difference in cost but well worth it. So when we move, the next tenants will have a 240 volt dryer type plug in the garage.

The Toyota RAV4 EV fell flat. Toyota structures the deal such that you have to pay tax on the discount, so even the lease deal is unattractive because tax accounts for a much higher payment.

OTOH, Chevy Volts are insanely discounted right now.

A loaded one stickers at $40k.
Dealers sell at $35k, less $1500 of GM incentives.
Net sales price is $33.5k (plus tax on $35k). Add fed and state tax rebate of $9k brings it to $24.5k+ tax for a loaded one including green sticker.

Not bad, though the tech will be boat anchor in no time so lease away for $350/month 0 down!

I'm surprised no one has talked about the Honda Fit EV. I read that it's so hard to find one in stock since limited supply and good lease deal unlimited miles for $259 a month no down payment. This is a compliance car for Honda.

Rice Vino said:
Chevy Spark EV is the best driving, least expensive, highest rated compact EV. That thing is little rocket ship.

Never drove it. Good to know. I thought the Mitsubishi EV is the least expensive, BUT you need to read the reviews for the Mitsubishi ev.

irvinehomeowner said:
I need an IHO sized EV.

EV minivan FTW!!

I think minivan's body shape is perfect to hide all those batteries and they really need to make a pure EV or plug-in Hybrid minivan with double automatic sliding doors.  If they can make one with reasonable price and driving range, it will be a hit. 

Getting there!

Plug in 2016 XC90:

_h366_w650_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

http://t.autos.msn.com/news/first-look-2016-volvo-xc90-1

B class EV is inefficient - larger battery than Focus EV or Leaf but same range. Also not clear if you can supercharge (480v) on the car, so range is even more limited vs. Leaf, which supercharges at any Nissan dealer. But Mercedes badge is nice  8)

That's good news for lower income individuals and families. 300% FPL for an individual is $35,310, and a family of 4 $72750... This should boost Prius plug-in/Volt/Leaf sales.

There was an unofficial poll on one of the Tesla forums that showed the average income of Tesla owners somewhere around the $150-250k range. Which would still make them eligible for the $2500 standard rebate. Plus the $7500 tax credit is a bonus. 

Back