EV/Plug-In/Hydrogen Fuel Cell - Cars

Plug-in Hybrids is what companies should focus on.

No range anxiety and less worries if you forget to charge or have a power outage at home.

Or solar cars. :)

I agree with the plug-in hybrid idea. A battery that lasts long enough for a round trip commute (100 mile range?), but also have the ability to travel anywhere without the ability to recharge.

That was kind of the point of adding a gas engine; to sacrifice overall range with a smaller battery for the peace of mind of not getting stranded.  Everything's a compromise.  The Volt already weighs as much as a Lexus ES350, before filling the tank with gas.  Accelerating is where you really eat up the battery, and energy expended is proportional to weight.  The more mass you add the fewer miles you'll get per kw-h of capacity, so dragging around an extra few rows of cells probably isn't an optimal solution for most folks, especially since they're already paying to lug around a fallback gas engine.  Every mile would cost more and more as you add the weight. 

My position on plug-in hybrids is I don't like having to still maintain a smelly gasoline engine and bear the risk of it breaking down at some point.  I prefer to daily commute in an all-electric, and keep the gas cars as a backup and for longer trips, but then our commute is shorter than average. 

The market is young and products are few.  If enough people want what you're looking for someone will surely make it.

Back