Distance learning?

Zoom sucks for learning...send em back, some things are best done in person...

Some Fort Worth ISD Students To Return To Elementary Schools Next Week

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) -The first Fort Worth students to return to school classrooms will be back as early as next week after campuses were closed due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Four elementary schools in the district are preparing now to have students back on campus for summer school.

A total of about 300 students are expected across the four locations.

Most of them are bilingual, or English as a second language students, who the district determined would benefit from a learning environment difficult to create outside of the classroom.

?The parents wanted to consider that,? said district spokesman Clint Bond. ?And most of our elementary students we don?t do a one to one device with them, in other words, a computer or chrome book or a hot spot.?
[url]https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/05/26/fort-worth-isd-students-return-elementary-schools-next-week/[/url]

Depending on the grade and subject, I think a hybrid system can work.

Did you go to class in college for the same subject 5 days a week?

Not sure how to do this with younger kids as supervision at home is required but if more parents are working remote....

:)

Even two days a week, as long as families attend on the same days, would be helpful for learning, family childcare or work-related needs. A-L attend Mon-Tues, schools are sanitized on Wed, then M-Z attend Thurs-Fri. As conditions improve adjustments could be made.

morekaos said:
Zoom sucks for learning...send em back, some things are best done in person...

Some Fort Worth ISD Students To Return To Elementary Schools Next Week

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) -The first Fort Worth students to return to school classrooms will be back as early as next week after campuses were closed due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Four elementary schools in the district are preparing now to have students back on campus for summer school.

A total of about 300 students are expected across the four locations.

Most of them are bilingual, or English as a second language students, who the district determined would benefit from a learning environment difficult to create outside of the classroom.

?The parents wanted to consider that,? said district spokesman Clint Bond. ?And most of our elementary students we don?t do a one to one device with them, in other words, a computer or chrome book or a hot spot.?
[url]https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/05/26/fort-worth-isd-students-return-elementary-schools-next-week/[/url]

My daughter the teacher in AZ is going back to school in a couple weeks. They gave parents a choice. 80% want in school classes (well of course...? it's az), 12% opted for online only and 8% are not committed yet.

They are hiring teachers specifically for online classes. My daughter said she'd quit if they had her do online again. Her word was AWFUL!

Her class will have a max of 15 students. They built a new building during the lockdown to have more classrooms.

She's excited to go back to school. Said the big downside to the new building...?? no windows (to reduce risk of school shooter).

Her sister who was saying school will not resume is opting for online only.

I'm wondering if schools here will open with portables to increase number of classrooms.

irvinehomeowner said:
So the majority does not want be full time in class.

Which may work out nicely for the districts.  If 20-30% of the students opt to stay at home, it will help them with spacing issues with regards to physical distancing - and may allow kids to physically be in school for more hours.  Unless they hire (or have) separate teachers for the distancing option, I'm not sure how much time teachers would be able to dedicate to DL students.  I would probably just homeschool if I didn't want to send my kids back to school.

adventurous said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Yup, the glass is half full. Stay at home, DL only was rejected by a landslide.

Sure. Many dislike distance learning, but the poll shows that ~60% are still concerned about Covid.

irvinehomeowner said:
adventurous said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Sure. Many dislike distance learning, but the poll shows that ~60% are still concerned about Covid.

IUSD will use the results of the survey to justify whatever option they have already pre-selected for the district.

I'm guessing they were stunned by the 41% wanting in class only.  They obviously didn't get the results they were looking for... that's why they are doing another survey in 2 days.  ;D

"On Thursday June 25th, you will receive a communication that will include a more detailed description of each model along with a second survey.  This second survey will be designed so that our families can carefully evaluate these more detailed options and again communicate their preferences."

WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
adventurous said:
irvinehomeowner said:

IUSD will use the results of the survey to justify whatever option they have already pre-selected for the district.

I'm guessing they were stunned by the 41% wanting in class only.  They obviously didn't get the results they were looking for... that's why they are doing another survey in 2 days.  ;D

"On Thursday June 25th, you will receive a communication that will include a more detailed description of each model along with a second survey.  This second survey will be designed so that our families can carefully evaluate these more detailed options and again communicate their preferences."

Distance learning is a joke. The schools better be ready to open and teach our kids. I am not paying taxes to have teachers doing 1/2 hour a day zoom time and the rest is for parents to figure out all these links they post on google classroom. Kids learn best in a social environment.

Frankly, I?m surprised the distance learning only number is so high.  IMO, it?ll only get higher as COVID cases increase nationwide.

Compressed-Village said:
WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
adventurous said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Distance learning is a joke. The schools better be ready to open and teach our kids. I am not paying taxes to have teachers doing 1/2 hour a day zoom time and the rest is for parents to figure out all these links they post on google classroom. Kids learn best in a social environment.
Agree completely. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Yup. Also the poll shows that the parents prioritize the quality of the education over the uncorroborated, politically inflated fears.

I also agree that for younger children, in-person instruction is better.

The idea is how do we do that safely? While most kids are not as affected by Covid... teachers/staff/etc can be at risk.

All I know is when my kids were in pre/elem... that's also when I got sick the most because they brought home every youngster plague you can think of.

adventurous said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Yup. Also the poll shows that the parents prioritize the quality of the education over the uncorroborated, politically inflated fears.

You edited this while I was quoting but why does it have to be political inflated? And how can you say it is uncorroborated? The virus is a virus... it can spread quickly if precautions are not heeded. Look at how many are infected while we were in lockdown and look at how cases are rising again.

Think again.

WTTCHMN said:

Yup. The parents failed the first test, they will let us redo it :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I also agree that for younger children, in-person instruction is better.

The idea is how do we do that safely? While most kids are not as affected by Covid... teachers/staff/etc can be at risk.

All I know is when my kids were in pre/elem... that's also when I got sick the most because they brought home every youngster plague you can think of.

Money.  Crean Lutheran hired 6 additional teachers to reduce class sizes and built 8 additional classrooms. 
Since public schools don't have money, they're hoping kids will just stay home :)

Back