Distance learning?

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
I don't know if hybrid WILL be safer, but it CAN be safer.  From the text, hybrid sounds like you stay with a fixed group of 15 kids in one classroom for <35% of traditional time versus more kids/more movement with the traditional.  Opening has shown us that distancing and masks are effective.  Without these "half ass" offerings though, full traditional wouldn't be an option at all, so if you are an IUSD parent who wants to get rid of your kids 5 days a week, thank the ones that will accept a crappy DL offering and those who want hybrid.

Well said. It's nice to see some people here understand logic.

Safer options allow the unsafer options to be more safe... or even be an option... exactly like what we are seeing with the reopening of the economy.

We may opt for distance learning... my kids are older so they can handle it. And it may be the new normal until we get proper vaccines/treatments (and who knows what new virus will land on our shores in the future).

Why would there be no school if they didn?t offer distance learning or a hybrid option? Physically being at school is either safe or not safe.

If it?s safe offer it, if it?s not safe don?t offer it.

So if there was no distance learning/hybrid option there would be no school at all?

The starting point is physically being at school. Not the other way around

zubs said:
adventurous said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Good luck. I do hope Covid is "vanishing" for the sake of everyone's health.

Combine that with flu season coming up in the fall/winter and we could get double dipped.
COVID death rate in 0-18yr range is practically non-existent. I really don't see a problem there.
I also except a large surge in flu vaccination this fall.

The kid gets covid and infects others, and it spreads faster, and people die.  Perhaps only 0.01% of the kids die, but covid spreads through the community due to schools being hot spots.  The curve is thusly not flattened, but spikes upward like a roman candle.

This is all theoretical, but if it happens, who will we blame?  The fucking government for not closing schools...bunch of assholes.

Unless an effective vaccine can be developed and disseminated to the masses quickly, opening up the schools just speeds up the inevitable.....'herd immunity'. 

Being at home 24/7 is going to have long-term effects, both mentally, social-emotionally, and academically.  That MIGHT cause more damage than the alternative. 

qwerty said:
Why would there be no school if they didn?t offer distance learning or a hybrid option? Physically being at school is either safe or not safe.

If it?s safe offer it, if it?s not safe don?t offer it.

So if there was no distance learning/hybrid option there would be no school at all?

The starting point is physically being at school. Not the other way around

Schools have three choices:  all DL, DL + hybrid, or DL/hybrid/traditional.
The third option is ONLY available if enough kids opt to do DL and hybrid.  IUSD took into account their survey results and can make the last option work with the numbers they saw. 
All traditional isn't on the table for public school districts of this size.

I always listen to bones!!!

Even when she doesn?t answer the door when I?m delivering her packages! I?m sure she doesn?t open because Daedalus is home :)

qwerty said:
I always listen to bones!!!

Even when she doesn?t answer the door when I?m delivering her packages! I?m sure she doesn?t open because Daedalus is home :)

She doesn't answer the door because she will be talking to a brick wall with calves. :)

I noticed that Pence was the only one in the white house task force in todays briefing who would not wear a mask when he stopped talking.  Everyone else, Fauci, Birx, Redstone all put their masks back on. 

This is why Trump is a shithead.  He is letting his ego & vanity affect people around him at the cost of lives and our economy.  And as covid cases and deaths go up, trumps chances for re-election goes down.  I get the irony that he is causing himself to lose in NOV. 

Flush the turd november 3rd.

zubs said:
I noticed that Pence was the only one in the white house task force in todays briefing who would not wear a mask when he stopped talking.  Everyone else, Fauci, Birx, Redstone all put their masks back on. 

This is why Trump is a shithead.  He is letting his ego & vanity affect people around him at the cost of lives and our economy.  And as covid cases and deaths go up, trumps chances for re-election goes down.  I get the irony that he is causing himself to lose in NOV. 
Since we are going political in otherwise a neutral discussion, I want to point out that the quarantine kills the economy and costs the jobs. The virus footprint is nowhere close.

zubs said:
The kid gets covid and infects others, and it spreads faster, and people die.  Perhaps only 0.01% of the kids die, but covid spreads through the community due to schools being hot spots.  The curve is thusly not flattened, but spikes upward like a roman candle.
Yup, close the schools but let the rioters out. It is true, the virus doesn't spread out during the riots.
The death rate chart shows the spikes on the particular days of the week. If you calculate the average for a week, it will show the death rate doesn't follow the new cases trend.

zubs said:
This is all theoretical, but if it happens, who will we blame?  The fucking government for not closing schools...bunch of assholes.
Blame China. Their ignorance let the bug out.

bones said:
I don't know if hybrid WILL be safer, but it CAN be safer.  From the text, hybrid sounds like you stay with a fixed group of 15 kids in one classroom for <35% of traditional time versus more kids/more movement with the traditional.  Opening has shown us that distancing and masks are effective.  Without these "half ass" offerings though, full traditional wouldn't be an option at all, so if you are an IUSD parent who wants to get rid of your kids 5 days a week, thank the ones that will accept a crappy DL offering and those who want hybrid.
Do you think of the difference of the quality of the education under the Hybrid and Traditional models.

zubs said:
adventurous said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Good luck. I do hope Covid is "vanishing" for the sake of everyone's health.

Combine that with flu season coming up in the fall/winter and we could get double dipped.
COVID death rate in 0-18yr range is practically non-existent. I really don't see a problem there.
I also except a large surge in flu vaccination this fall.

Not sure if this is the case based on tracing data:https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/30/children-dont-pass-covid-19-to-adults-report-indicates/

Stay on target adv.
Explain why trump can't wear a mask to make america great again.

zubs said:
Stay on target adv.
You started going political, so change your gear first :)
Why Trump should wear a mask, if I may ask you?

adventurous said:
bones said:
Do you think of the difference of the quality of the education under the Hybrid and Traditional models.

Do I think of the difference of the quality of education?  I don't need to think of it.  It's spelled out in the chart that IUSD provided.

adventurous said:
zubs said:
Stay on target adv.
You started going political, so change your gear first :)
Why Trump should wear a mask, if I may ask you?

We will have to agree on this fact:
wearing a mask lessens the transmission rate of covid-19.

If Trump wears a mask, it will signal to his followers that they should wear one as well.  Some won't, but a significant amount of people will wear it because the POTUS is wearing one.  Since masks suck, this sets a good example for the citizens of the USA.

So with more people wearing masks, it will lower the transmission of covid-19, making his win in November more likely.

zubs said:

If Trump wears a mask, it will signal to his followers that they should wear one as well.  Some won't, but a significant amount of people will wear it because the POTUS is wearing one.  Since masks suck, this sets a good example for the citizens of the USA.

So with more people wearing masks, it will lower the transmission of covid-19, making his win in November more likely.
If Trump wears a mask, Democratic leaders and followers will immediately stop wearing theirs. :) So, Trump is really helping them by not wearing it.

I prefer to just have less covid 19, so i can send my kids back to school in AUG.
It seems you are really invested in the idea of us vs. them. 
This is a russian/chinese strategy to sow chaos here.

Don't let it consume you.  We are on the same side.

adventurous said:
zubs said:

If Trump wears a mask, Democratic leaders and followers will immediately stop wearing theirs. :) So, Trump is really helping them by not wearing it.

trump should really sell red maga masks

total missed opportunity

zubs said:
I prefer to just have less covid 19, so i can send my kids back to school in AUG.
It seems you are really invested in the idea of us vs. them. 
This is a russian/chinese strategy to sow chaos here.

Don't let it consume you.  We are on the same side.
We have the same goal, but we use different paths. I am not obstructing you way, probably you shouldn't obstruct mine.

Back