Distance learning?

irvinehomeowner said:
You edited this while I was quoting but why does it have to be political inflated? And how can you say it is uncorroborated? The virus is a virus... it can spread quickly if precautions are not heeded. Look at how many are infected while we were in lockdown and look at how cases are rising again.

Think again.
You are fast to reply :)
We all know which party spreads out the fear of the COVID and which party tries to diminish it. So, any research is really biased, let's check the raw data.
Since California is such a special state, let's put the state numbers together.
We have a steady rise of the new cases from March. The number of active cases is also growing steadily. However, the number of the death cases  (the mean value over a few days) is pretty much stable since May.
People don't die from COVID next second they acquire it. It takes from one to three (or more) weeks for the virus to kill the body. So, the beginning of May stats really reflect those who got sick in April, when our fearless leader was personally chasing the OC beachgoers.
California was more of less open starting from mid May. The mean number of deaths didn't change. So, basically, open or not, the death toll is the same.
Why do we see the steady growth of new cases and active cases? Two possible reasons, all my speculations, feel free to throw in yours.

1. The current virus strain gets less deadly. Some blue influence doesn't want the sheeple to know it
2. More testing is available. It means we don't get as many (real) newly acquired cases, despite the big come outs and mask refusals.
3. (a conspiracy theory, just for fun) They invented the cure, but they don't tell us. LOL

Bottom line. The real desire behind infringing the citizens' freedoms is strongly political, not scientific.

I promise to not update this post, except fixing grammar ooopsies. :)

bones said:
Money.  Crean Lutheran hired 6 additional teachers to reduce class sizes and built 8 additional classrooms. 
Since public schools don't have money, they're hoping kids will just stay home :)
Yup.
The private schools can raise the tuitions, the public schools are bound to the budget (already recuced) and fundraisers, which the administration can't fully rely on, esp in this economy.

adventurous said:
irvinehomeowner said:
You edited this while I was quoting but why does it have to be political inflated? And how can you say it is uncorroborated? The virus is a virus... it can spread quickly if precautions are not heeded. Look at how many are infected while we were in lockdown and look at how cases are rising again.

Think again.
You are fast to reply :)
We all know which party spreads out the fear of the COVID and which party tries to diminish it. So, any research is really biased, let's check the raw data.
Since California is such a special state, let's put the state numbers together.
We have a steady rise of the new cases from March. The number of active cases is also growing steadily. However, the number of the death cases  (the mean value over a few days) is pretty much stable since May.
People don't die from COVID next second they acquire it. It takes from one to three (or more) weeks for the virus to kill the body. So, the beginning of May stats really reflect those who got sick in April, when our fearless leader was personally chasing the OC beachgoers.
California was more of less open starting from mid May. The mean number of deaths didn't change. So, basically, open or not, the death toll is the same.
Why do we see the steady growth of new cases and active cases? Two possible reasons, all my speculations, feel free to throw in yours.

1. The current virus strain gets less deadly. Some blue influence doesn't want the sheeple to know it
2. More testing is available. It means we don't get as many (real) newly acquired cases, despite the big come outs and mask refusals.
3. (a conspiracy theory, just for fun) They invented the cure, but they don't tell us. LOL

Bottom line. The real desire behind infringing the citizens' freedoms is strongly political, not scientific.

I promise to not update this post, except fixing grammar ooopsies. :)

It's eye of the beholder because I can skew the data to favor the opposite of your speculation. Like the number of deaths are not going up because due to the lockdown, we are better prepared to give better treatment.

And you forgot one metric, number of hospitalizations and ICU cases. Those are all up for OC and many other cities and states.

I don't look at the politics when I'm tracking Covid... I just look at the numbers and the trend lines. It's funny, I was listening to a Newsom snippet the other day and it seems like he actually agrees with your assessment.

So do you have kids? Are you sending them back in like qwerty?

irvinehomeowner said:
It's eye of the beholder because I can skew the data to favor the opposite of your speculation. Like the number of deaths are not going up because due to the lockdown, we are better prepared to give better treatment.

And you forgot one metric, number of hospitalizations and ICU cases. Those are all up for OC and many other cities and states.

I don't look at the politics when I'm tracking Covid... I just look at the numbers and the trend lines. It's funny, I was listening to a Newsom snippet the other day and it seems like he actually agrees with your assessment.
ICU, hospitalization admission numbers can be completely arbitrary, the criteria may change based on the newly adopted (politically motivated) regulations. The death toll is more reliable, albeit the gray area cases can also be qualified based on the immediate political needs.
The newly acquired numbers can be all political, but I don't see why Newsom's leadership would like to tweak the numbers in Trump's favor.

The dear love of my life, Gavin Newsom, shows the sparks of the common sense on very rare occasions, but the rest of the time he's a Pelosi sucker, pardon my French.

irvinehomeowner said:
I do. I am.

adventurous said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I do. I am.

Good luck. I do hope Covid is "vanishing" for the sake of everyone's health.

Combine that with flu season coming up in the fall/winter and we could get double dipped.

The only thing I really care about that I haven?t seen on any plan is what they are planning on doing with the half of the school population that sends their kid to school until they?re too sick to walk.

Temp scans won?t do it, by the time the temp scan registers the kid already spread the cold, flu, covid to five others.

April, May and June have been my three best cold free, lung funk free months I can remember.  Previously had to wait until July but then end of August/September, my kid was already dragging a lung butter maker home.

Added note: not sure why the districts are pretending they have options they don?t. Unless someone ponies up another 20 Billions plus what they previously got, they have zero ability to fund everyone goes back and they maintain any kind of distancing protocols. They can?t make the teachers work longer. They are facing budget cuts, and can?t hire more teachers.  They have two options hybrid part time or pure DL. Everything else is a pipe dream.

Now who wants to go back and have the green horns that will get hired to staff the new spots?

nosuchreality said:
The only thing I really care about that I haven%u2019t seen on any plan is what they are planning on doing with the half of the school population that sends their kid to school until they%u2019re too sick to walk.

Temp scans won%u2019t do it, by the time the temp scan registers the kid already spread the cold, flu, covid to five others.

April, May and June have been my three best cold free, lung funk free months I can remember.  Previously had to wait until July but then end of August/September, my kid was already dragging a lung butter maker home.

Added note: not sure why the districts are pretending they have options they don%u2019t. Unless someone ponies up another 20 Billions plus what they previously got, they have zero ability to fund everyone goes back and they maintain any kind of distancing protocols. They can%u2019t make the teachers work longer. They are facing budget cuts, and can%u2019t hire more teachers.  They have two options hybrid part time or pure DL. Everything else is a pipe dream.

Now who wants to go back and have the green horns that will get hired to staff the new spots?

Agreed. Sounds like what I previously said about the cost to modify the classroom, hire additional janitorial staff for the day/afternoon/night cleanings, PPE equipment, signs, stickers, etc... In addition, potentially modular classrooms may be needed due to social distancing.

Also, there are some teachers that said they will not go back to work due to age or condition.

School districts are afraid to say anything because they are at the mercy of budgets.

Middle and high school students at Orange County?s largest school district will likely not return to campus full-time when classes resume in the fall.

Instead, some 26,700 students of Capistrano Unified School District will likely have two options: learn remotely full-time or attend classes on campus two and a half days a week, with the rest of their instruction done online.

The district simply doesn?t have enough credentialed educators to teach everyone five days a week, while significantly cutting its class sizes to account for social distancing to limit the spread of the coronavirus, spokesman Ryan Burris said.

Elementary school students will likely have an option to stay on campus five days a week.

In the district?s survey of parents, which received almost 25,000 responses, nearly 90% said they would prefer their child to attend school on campus full-time rather than to enroll in online programs.

Elementary schools can provide the full-time option because credentialed teachers have to only teach for half the students? school day. The rest of the day, which includes activities such as art, music, recess and lunch, can be supervised by a staff member who is not credentialed, Burris said.

But for middle and high school students, each subject needs to be taught by educators credentialed in that area. If the district cuts its class size in half to 16-to-1 to account for social distancing and still plans to have everyone on campus full-time, it would need to hire a lot more teachers credentialed in each subject area, he said.

Burris also noted that 43% of the parents of elementary students would need child care for the days their kids are not on campus, according to the district?s survey. About 22% of the parents of middle school students and 13% of the parents of high school students said the same.

?The survey told us there was a significant number of parents who were working,? Burris said. ?Part of our efforts, especially for K-5 kids, is to support our working families and to put a plan together that would allow parents to have their kids in school all day.?
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/06/...ified-not-likely-to-fully-return-to-campuses/

Elementary schools can provide the full-time option because credentialed teachers have to only teach for half the students? school day. The rest of the day, which includes activities such as art, music, recess and lunch, can be supervised by a staff member who is not credentialed, Burris said.

This comment by Ryan Burris won?t add up in the end. You need certificated teachers supervising students at all times.

Forsyth County Schools are giving the option for parents for their children to do online learning or show up to class for the first Quarter. These are some unprecedented times. What are the Irvine schools doing?

irvinehomeowner said:

Combine that with flu season coming up in the fall/winter and we could get double dipped.
COVID death rate in 0-18yr range is practically non-existent. I really don't see a problem there.
I also except a large surge in flu vaccination this fall.

Hybrid/blended has my vote. Five days in an unsanitary classroom is unsafe for students and staff. Schools don?t have the staff or resources to clean daily, they never have even for vacuuming and dry erase board cleaning.  The one or two days depending on the grade level provides for socialization and teacher guidance as needed. Once conditions (finally) improve, then schools can safely add one day of at-school instruction. DL could be better, but in schools is unsafe.

Kangen.Irvine said:
Hybrid/blended has my vote. Five days in an unsanitary classroom is unsafe for students and staff. Schools don?t have the staff or resources to clean daily, they never have even for vacuuming and dry erase board cleaning.  The one or two days depending on the grade level provides for socialization and teacher guidance as needed. Once conditions (finally) improve, then schools can safely add one day of at-school instruction. DL could be better, but in schools is unsafe.

Is two days in an unsanitary classroom safe?  The hybrid approach reminds me of the 2-3 month government shutdown. It?s a half ass approach to make people feel better that something is being done.

Yes, 5 days will increase the chances of getting sick, but I?m guessing two days isn?t reducing those odds all that much.

I don't know if hybrid WILL be safer, but it CAN be safer.  From the text, hybrid sounds like you stay with a fixed group of 15 kids in one classroom for <35% of traditional time versus more kids/more movement with the traditional.  Opening has shown us that distancing and masks are effective.  Without these "half ass" offerings though, full traditional wouldn't be an option at all, so if you are an IUSD parent who wants to get rid of your kids 5 days a week, thank the ones that will accept a crappy DL offering and those who want hybrid.

nosuchreality said:
Seems pretty clear they?ve designed DL to be sub-par.  Reduced access, teachers not from their assigned schools.

It sounds like homeschool with a Teacher of Record, except IUSD isn't giving you any of the state funding $ for your student to fill in the deficits. 

bones said:
I don't know if hybrid WILL be safer, but it CAN be safer.  From the text, hybrid sounds like you stay with a fixed group of 15 kids in one classroom for <35% of traditional time versus more kids/more movement with the traditional.  Opening has shown us that distancing and masks are effective.  Without these "half ass" offerings though, full traditional wouldn't be an option at all, so if you are an IUSD parent who wants to get rid of your kids 5 days a week, thank the ones that will accept a crappy DL offering and those who want hybrid.

Well said. It's nice to see some people here understand logic.

Safer options allow the unsafer options to be more safe... or even be an option... exactly like what we are seeing with the reopening of the economy.

We may opt for distance learning... my kids are older so they can handle it. And it may be the new normal until we get proper vaccines/treatments (and who knows what new virus will land on our shores in the future).

adventurous said:
irvinehomeowner said:

COVID death rate in 0-18yr range is practically non-existent. I really don't see a problem there.
I also except a large surge in flu vaccination this fall.

The kid gets covid and infects others, and it spreads faster, and people die.  Perhaps only 0.01% of the kids die, but covid spreads through the community due to schools being hot spots.  The curve is thusly not flattened, but spikes upward like a roman candle.

This is all theoretical, but if it happens, who will we blame?  The fucking government for not closing schools...bunch of assholes.

Back